PDA

View Full Version : Virus in Frankel barn

Valuist
09-14-2004, 12:40 PM
There could be some vulnerable favorites at Belmont:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/59081.html

andicap
09-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Same thing happened a year ago at Saratoga -- virus wiped out bunch of his horses and they were losing at really short odds.

Valuist
09-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Have to think a horse like Ghostzapper could be susceptible if there's a virus in the barn. That was a very tough race he ran last week. I'm the first one to say that the term "bounce" is overused, but in his case, its a definite possibility.

the little guy
09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
The supposed " virus " in Frankel's barn at Saratoga last summer coincided with NYRA placing two security guards there.

It's also worth noting that during that streak last summer, Ghostzapper ran one of the most remarkable races of the meet, flying from WAY back to just miss in finishing third in the King's Bishop against a major inside speed bias.

Perhaps Ghostzapper is truly the real deal.

Valuist
09-15-2004, 03:58 PM
I don't think there's any question Ghostzapper is the real deal, talentwise. But he isn't a machine, and like any other animal or human, could be flat after a very taxing performance.

OTM Al
09-15-2004, 04:21 PM
I agree but I must say that if they run him again before the BC, I can't see him having much left for the Classic. Shades of Smarty Jones perhaps, running his heart out in several big races in a row but not having quite enough left in the tank on the biggie with the longer than you've ever run distance.

Milleruszk
09-15-2004, 08:46 PM
I remember last year Frankel's barn went cold for 2 or 3 weeks. However, he won todays 7th race at Belmont with Sweet Lips so I would wait and see what develops.

Tom

WALLENDA
09-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Apparetly the Virus isnt having to much effect, his barn is hot at the moment.