PDA

View Full Version : Insanity in Oakland

Valuist
09-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Throwing a chair into the stands? I'm glad to see them considering pressing aggravated assalt charges against that Texas reliever. He should get a minimum 10 game suspension.

kenwoodallpromos
09-14-2004, 11:46 AM
I do not think the fans did wrong; but the umps threatened to forfeit to TX; idiots.
For a minute I thought I was watching Boston.

schweitz
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
I do not think the fans did wrong;

I can't defend throwing a chair into the stands----but, are you saying that he was not provoked? Or, are you saying that if a fan buys a ticket he can say anything to the players? :confused:

Shacopate
09-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Bobby Knight would not be impressed. Did you see that?

dav4463
09-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm sick of fans (usually drunk) who think they have the right to heckle players, coaches, referees, etc. Just like the idiots that ran on the field in Kansas City.....I think a player has the right to fight back. I can't condone throwing a chair into the stands, but I'm sure he just lost his cool. Fans basically are idiots though, and if they act out of line at a game, security should kick them out. There is a difference between good-natured heckling and just being a fan and heckling to hurt. It's time to put a cage around the players so no fans can make any contact.

Valuist
09-14-2004, 08:13 PM
There is no excuse to throw a chair into the stands. The players are supposed to ignore the fans. Its one thing if the fans come on the field like last year. Then anything goes. But Francisco deserves severe punishment for this.

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2004, 01:18 AM
I hope Sq764 comments on this one. Or would he only comment if this happened in Yankee Stadium?

Speed Figure
09-15-2004, 01:32 AM
If this went down in yankee stadium he would have started the tread.:D

cj
09-15-2004, 02:49 AM
This guy should be suspended for a year. There is simply no excuse. I really don't care what the fans said, words can't injure you.

As a father of 3 who has attended many baseball games, I am all for more policing of fans who act like idiots during games . I've addressed several myself because noone else would. That said, lets not make excuses for throwing a chair in the stands and breaking a woman's nose.

JustRalph
09-15-2004, 05:01 AM
I saw the video of this tonight..........that lady got nailed pretty good. I figure he gets nailed by the judge now..............what an ass this guy must be.........?

CapperLou
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
A Very Sad Day For Baseball!!!!

It's pathetic at what has transpired with fans and athletes in the past few years!!!

Both are guilty here, but the player never should have gone this far and should be banned from playing for at least a year.

Just terrible-----I thought this was Baseball--not soccer in Europe!!! Again, very sad commentary on American sports!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

ceejay
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Just my opinion here: Fans can say anything they want from the stands without fear of physical injury. If anything that a fan says is "over the top" managament has the right and obligation to eject, ban, or even press charges against the fan.

Now, if the fan throws things, or jumps on the field, he/she loses protection from violence.

CapperLou
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Good Post!!!! I agree totally!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

kenwoodallpromos
09-15-2004, 01:34 PM
The Rangers and umpires are blaming the fans and wanted a 9-0 forfeit by Oakland. Selig is not talking because he wanted a tie game.
Baseball is and oldie anyway. Maybe the area fans will go to horseracing instead.
Any jockeys attacked the fans lately? LOL.

Dave Schwartz
09-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Ken,

>>Any jockeys attacked the fans lately?<<

They're short. <G>

Dave

JustRalph
09-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Ken,

>>Any jockeys attacked the fans lately?<<

They're short. <G>

Dave

I know a few I would like to throw a chair at!

schweitz
09-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Ok, up front Francisco has no excuse for throwing a chair into the stands. He screwed up and will pay for it. Now for the other people involved in this:

We have a couple who have said that they regularly attend the Oakland games for the purpose of taunting the other team's releivers to shake them up.

We have other fans in the same seating area who say that the taunting is terrible and obscene.

We have other teams around the league saying that there is a problem in Oakland with this section of fans. Detroit Tigers bullpen coach Lance Parrish, "it's the things they say, the profanity they use. You get concerned about the kids." Angel's releiverver Troy Percival, "The fans are right on top of you in Oakland, and they're probably the most outgoingly obnoxious fans in the league."

Now even before the Rangers could contact the couple they have hired a lawyer who has compared the incident with Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison scandal and saying the incident wouldn't have happened with better leadership at the top.

So here is a possible outcome of all of this:

The chair throwing player who supposedly a good guy but has made a serious mistake in judgement could lose his livelyhood and be deported to the Dominican Republic if convicted of a felony.

The releiver baiting couple will get rich.

I hope neither happens. Comments?

ElKabong
09-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Francisco deserves a stiff suspension, but....Perhaps the most ludicrous non-political comment of the year comes straight from the mouth of the lawyer of the woman whose hubby baited the fight:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/091604dnsporangfight.92a08.html

"What the Texas Rangers did is wrong," Gwilliam said. "It's like the Abu-Ghraib prison scandal [in Iraq]. It all starts at the top."

more..

Mr. Bueno, a fire battalion chief in Hayward, Calif., said he normally heckles the opposing team to help "rattle them," and give the A's an advantage. He said he did not use profanity or racial slurs. He also said he had been excited to get a reaction from closer Francisco Cordero only moments before the brawl broke out.

Mr. Bueno claimed he said to the Rangers' bullpen: "So who is going to take the loss tonight?"

Mr. Bueno said Cordero responded with "something about my mother."

The Oakland Tribune, citing reports from Oakland police, said Mr. Bueno replied: "That's funny because I just saw your momma."

cj
09-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Waaaayyy too short in my opinion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1883747

BIG RED
09-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
I do not think the fans did wrong; but the umps threatened to forfeit to TX; idiots.
For a minute I thought I was watching Boston.

Which means what?

Tom
09-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by schweitz

So here is a possible outcome of all of this:

The chair throwing player who supposedly a good guy but has made a serious mistake in judgement could lose his livelyhood and be deported to the Dominican Republic if convicted of a felony.

The releiver baiting couple will get rich.

I hope neither happens. Comments?

1. Ban him for life, whatever immigration does, too bad for him, but HE made choice to endanger people. We really don't need people like that in this country. At least, jail time is in order.

2. Yes - I hope they get rich. Only to underscore the point to these over-paid egomaniac sport scumbags that they are not above the lae and they have a certain responsibility that comes with with those big paychecks they get for contributing nothing and playing games all day.

If the players do not like being heckled, then they should:

-find a real job
-get the team to enforce security
-get their union to provide security

This POS is in now way a victim...he is garbage.

sq764
09-18-2004, 11:47 AM
PA, no I wouldn't only comment if this happened in Yankee stadium.. dumb comment on your part...

No excuse for this behavior.. He should be suspended for a year IMO..

sq764
09-18-2004, 11:50 AM
...what do fans have the right to do and when does it cross the line?

is booing, cheering, cursing ok?

talking about family, racial comments or threats over the line?

Should athletes have thicker skin, knowing visiting fans are going to be brutal at times?

cj
09-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by sq764
...what do fans have the right to do and when does it cross the line?

is booing, cheering, cursing ok?

talking about family, racial comments or threats over the line?

Should athletes have thicker skin, knowing visiting fans are going to be brutal at times?

My opinion, if a fan's behavior is offensive to other fans, he has crossed the line. Foul language, rude, obnoxious behavior, racial or family threats, out they go. Do sports need this type of jackass at the games?

sq764
09-18-2004, 01:17 PM
CJ, if you had your wish, the Eagles would play in front of an empty stadium!!

cj
09-18-2004, 01:35 PM
I've been to Eagles games, and many of the fans are true jackasses. Do they still have the judge on duty during games? I know that helped for awhile.

sq764
09-18-2004, 01:38 PM
When they built Lincoln Financial field, they built 3 jail cells downstairs..

How many stadiums have those in the blueprints :-)

schweitz
09-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tom
1. Ban him for life, whatever immigration does, too bad for him, but HE made choice to endanger people. We really don't need people like that in this country. At least, jail time is in order.

2. Yes - I hope they get rich. Only to underscore the point to these over-paid egomaniac sport scumbags that they are not above the lae and they have a certain responsibility that comes with with those big paychecks they get for contributing nothing and playing games all day.

If the players do not like being heckled, then they should:

-find a real job
-get the team to enforce security
-get their union to provide security

This POS is in now way a victim...he is garbage.

He is neither a victim nor is he garbage--he is someone who lost his temper and composure and so made a mistake---there has been no other incidents from this player----and what difference does it make that he makes a lot of money?---he has a skill and someone is willing to pay him for that skill.

I'm guessing that there was more going on than "heckling" but we may never know what really happened.

I guess I should start attending more MLB games and see if I can goad some immature player into giving me a big payday---yea, that's the ticket.

Tom
09-18-2004, 04:29 PM
He is neither a victim nor is he garbage--he is someone who lost his temper and composure and so made a mistake---there has been no other incidents from this player----and what difference does it make that he makes a lot of money?---he has a skill and someone is willing to pay him for that skill.

I'm guessing that there was more going on than "heckling" but we may never know what really happened.

I guess I should start attending more MLB games and see if I can goad some immature player into giving me a big payday---yea, that's the ticket.

A drunk driver who kills someone's family is a guy who made a mistake and temporarily lost control. This idiot who cannot control his temper is a menace. I say payout bigtime not to reward the idiots but to penalize the stadium and ball club, who obviously did not prvide a safe, secure environment. A guy around here is going to trial today becaseu he lost his temper for a second and threw a 6 week old baby to the floor killing it.
What if the chair leg took out that woman's eye, or worse?
This idiot ball player is the one responsible for violence. He must pay the price.

schweitz
09-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Tom

This idiot ball player is the one responsible for violence. He must pay the price.

Never said he shouldn't---he has gotten off light so far---the problem I have is the low self-esteem idiots who go to games and repeatedly scream obscenities at the players---these people do not deserve a huge payday--plastic chair thrown at them or not---just my opinion

JustRalph
09-18-2004, 09:54 PM
It doesn't matter if you are a baseball player or a fan.........

if a millionaire whacks somebody with a chair and breaks their nose.........somebody is going to get paid.............

remember, these guys are almost all millionaires..........

BTW........ the pitcher deserves whatever he gets........come on..!

Tom
09-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Never said he shouldn't---he has gotten off light so far---the problem I have is the low self-esteem idiots who go to games and repeatedly scream obscenities at the players---these people do not deserve a huge payday--plastic chair thrown at them or not---just my opinion

I don't like it either, but how else do you make it hurt? Cash is all theses guys understand. How about the team/stadium has to host an afternoon game and all seats - ALL seats are free?
Unique idea, letting kids actually get to go see a live game, like baseball used to do back in the day when it was a game.

ElKabong
09-19-2004, 02:34 AM
From the article I linked, the heckler (whose wife got nailed with a chair) said when a pitcher walked towards the stands "I stood in front of my wife" to protect her....If that's the case, then he would have been nailed by the chair, not his wife.

He's lying through his teeth to get a payday. Francisco needs to be suspended for 20-30 days but not sued. THE heckler is as much to blame as anyone. But our society is what it is..

If Francisco were sharp, he'd sue the A's for allowing their fans to continously goad the opposing players (see schweitz's earlier post)....Hey, one stupid lawsuit washes the hand of the other.... It's all nonsense.