PDA

View Full Version : Yee Haw, Thanks Jeb-Bush Takes Florida!

JustMissed
09-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Just a snippet from drudgereport.com:
"Florida OK's Nader's Name on Election Ballot

Sep 13, 6:34 PM (ET)

By Jim Loney
MIAMI (Reuters) - Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader's name can appear on Florida ballots for the election, despite a court order to the contrary, Florida's elections chief told officials on Monday in a move that could help President Bush in the key swing state.

The Florida Democratic Party reacted with outrage, calling the move "blatant partisan maneuvering" by Gov. Jeb Bush, the president's younger brother, and vowed to fight it.

In a memo to Florida's 67 county supervisors of elections, Division of Elections director Dawn Roberts said the uncertainty of Hurricane Ivan, which could hit parts of the state by week's end, forced her to act.

The action came in an ongoing legal battle over whether Nader should be allowed on the Florida ballot as the Reform Party candidate.

Nader, an independent nominated by the Reform Party, was a presidential candidate in 2000 when Bush won Florida, and the White House, by 537 votes over then-Vice President Al Gore. Analysts said most of the nearly 98,000 votes Nader got in Florida would have gone to Gore had Nader not been on the ballot.

Florida Circuit Court Judge Kevin Davey issued a temporary injunction last week preventing the state from putting Nader on the 2004 ballot, siding with a Democratic challenge that the Reform Party did not qualify as a national party under state law.

A hearing on a permanent injunction is scheduled for Wednesday. But Roberts said Hurricane Ivan, which is headed for Florida's Gulf coast, had raised "a substantial question as to when such a hearing" will be held.

'PARTISAN MANEUVERING'

As a result, she said, Florida's Department of State had filed an appeal against the temporary injunction. The appeal application automatically lifts the injunction, allowing the counties to put Nader's name on overseas absentee ballots, which must be mailed by Saturday.

"I'm in disbelief," said Scott Maddox, chairman of the Florida Democratic Party. "This is blatant partisan maneuvering on the part of Jeb Bush to give his brother a leg up on election day."

"They are trying to get ballots printed with Nader's name on them," said Maddox. "I am astounded that Jeb Bush is willing to defy the judiciary to help his brother."

Maddox said if Nader drew votes away from any candidate it would be Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry.

Gov. Bush said he agreed with Roberts' decision.

"It's up to the judge to determine, based on the law, whether Nader should be on the ballot or not," Bush said. "But while that process goes on, we cannot put ourselves in the position where the ministerial role of the supervisors cannot be fulfilled."

Maddox noted that Tallahassee, the state capital where Davey sits, is not expected to be directly hit by the hurricane. He said the circuit court could hear the case as scheduled on Wednesday and rule immediately.

In addition, the case is before the Florida Supreme Court, which could also rule at any time, he said."

I THINK JEB'S DOING THE RIGHT THING, HECK EVERYONE OUGHT TO HAVE A CHANCE TO VOTE FOR ANYONE THEY WANT TO VOTE FOR DON'T YOU THINK.

Heck, I may get me some bumper stickers and help old Ralph out.

By the time CBS and Dan Blather go down the crapper and the V V A W guys finish telling there tales about lying John Kerry, hey, if I were George Bush I wouldn't go but to one debate.

JM

:)

cj
09-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Rumor has it, things are going so bad for Kerry, that Nader has asked KERRY to step out of the race! :D:D:D

betchatoo
09-14-2004, 07:23 AM
If this were a Democratic Governor doing this you would be screaming about "good versus evil"

Hypocrisy

cj
09-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Why should he not be allowed on the ballot? Its the Dems trying to keep him off the ballot, which is pretty damn un-American, no matter which side of the fence you are on! Its almost as un-American as trying to get military absentee ballots thrown out, but not quite.

Secretariat
09-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Don't worry, betachoo. No matter how much Jeb keeps trying to win for his brother, (in fact Repubs filed past deadline in Fla and now this), lppk at last line in article.

Florda Supreme Court to look at it. Don't worry. It is blatantly in violation of FLA's constitution.

cj
09-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Any decision by the Fla Supreme Court is about 70% likely to be overturned anyway. Ralph will wind up on the ballot as he should.

JustRalph
09-14-2004, 08:46 AM
How can you blatantly back not having nader on the ballot?

Aren't you the party that complains that a gazzillion minorities didn't get to vote in the las election? now you want to limit them on how many candidates they can vote for. You love em, but only if they vote for your boy.............

betchatoo
09-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
How can you blatantly back not having nader on the ballot?

Aren't you the party that complains that a gazzillion minorities didn't get to vote in the las election? now you want to limit them on how many candidates they can vote for. You love em, but only if they vote for your boy.............

I don't blatantly not back having Nader on the ballot as long as he passes the same rules as everybody else. This move by Bush is entirely political. Not done in the interest of fairness, just the opposite. There'd already be 50 angry protests by the boards conservativers if a Democrat was doing this, hurting Bush' chances

Steve 'StatMan'
09-14-2004, 09:49 AM
I Love It! The Dems are doing blantant partisan manipulation to keep him Nader off the ballot!

By the way, how many other close states did Bush lose in 2000 where Buchanan look enough votes?

Geez, if people really want to vote for Kerry in Florida they still can. We'll see if the majority of Floridians really want him that bad.

so.cal.fan
09-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Ralph Nader is an alternative candidate to the Republican and the Democratic party's platform.
There is a small minority of enviroment activists that support him.
Just because it is perceived by one party that it will take away votes from their candidate is un-American. Just as some Republican party officials objected to Ross Perrot running in the 1992 election. I know several people who voted for RP because they believe in the platforms of the RNC and the DNC that year.
Don't you guys think that there are a few folks who feel the same this time around?
I don't believe they will take "THAT" many votes away from Kerry.
People who go and vote for Ralph Nader may not have even voted, at least for President, no matter if it's Florida, Calif. or anywhere else.

Secretariat
09-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Nader is registered to run as the Reform Party Candidate. THe problem is the Reform Party doesn't exist anymore. Florida statute strictly forbids this.

It will be interesting to see how Jeb is gonna deal with the Fla Supreme Court on the reversal. I suppose they could go to the US Supreme Court, but that puts the US Supreme Court in the position of overturning states rights again, and dictating a federalism in the court. Personally, I think its funny that the party preaching states rights always runs to federal court to help their efforts.

It really doesn't matter, Jeb will make sure his brother wins in Florida - Nader or not. I'd focus on the other states without the nepotism.

Lefty
09-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Once again Dems want their own way. It's not just Fl trying keep Nader out the election it's Dems everywhere. Hypocrites!
Anyone that puts up a filing fee should be welcome on any ballot.
Even though Perot prob caused GH Bush the Pres. I didn't oppose him running at the time and neither did the Dems that I can remember! Hypocrites. It's their was or no way.

betchatoo
09-14-2004, 12:49 PM
I want to make sure that I am clear here. Are you arguing that the state of Florida does not have the right to make rules about it's election process?

chickenhead
09-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
Nader is registered to run as the Reform Party Candidate. THe problem is the Reform Party doesn't exist anymore.

that seems to be a fairly contradictory statement, doesn't it?

someone needs to tell them they don't exist, they apparently still believe otherwise.

http://www.reformparty.org/cgi-bin/hcgmain.cgi

betchatoo
09-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Ralph Nader is an alternative candidate to the Republican and the Democratic party's platform.
There is a small minority of enviroment activists that support him.
Just because it is perceived by one party that it will take away votes from their candidate is un-American. Just as some Republican party officials objected to Ross Perrot running in the 1992 election. I know several people who voted for RP because they believe in the platforms of the RNC and the DNC that year.
Don't you guys think that there are a few folks who feel the same this time around?
I don't believe they will take "THAT" many votes away from Kerry.
People who go and vote for Ralph Nader may not have even voted, at least for President, no matter if it's Florida, Calif. or anywhere else.

So. Cal. Fan;

I have no objections to Independent candidates. I voted for John Anderson more years ago than I care to remember. In fact, here in the midwest, the Republicans have done several drives in key states to make sure Nader makes the ballot. While I'm not thrilled about it, I admire their ingenuity in helping their candidate. If people want to vote for Nader it's okay with me.

What I oppose here is that it appears (and I say appears because I do not have all the pertinent information) that Jeb Bush single handedly overturned a court ruling, based on Florida state law. That he did it as partisan politics is not in dipute even by the right wing member who started this thread. I don't think it's ethical and the courts will determine (maybe too late, according to the article) whether it is legal

Lefty
09-14-2004, 03:33 PM
And Democrats concerted efforts to keep him off the ballot in many states is partison politics too, don'tcha know?

chickenhead
09-14-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't think the courts will be ruling on whether the state's actions are legal...the state issued an appeal, which automatically lifts the injunction against Nader as filed by the local circuit judge. It is all by the books.

Considering that the states actions are to INCLUDE someone on the ballot, rather than to disallow, I am very happy it has come down the way it has, and I hope he stays on the ballot.

chickenhead
09-14-2004, 03:37 PM
here is patisanship attempting to keep someone OFF the ballot.

"Florida Circuit Court Judge Kevin Davey issued a temporary injunction last week preventing the state from putting Nader on the 2004 ballot, siding with a Democratic challenge that the Reform Party did not qualify as a national party under state law.

Secretariat
09-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Now, that's a party $18.18. maybe I should have save my last debt and started a new poltical party. LBJ, are you interested in heading the New Reform Party? I can get you on the ballot.

"Judge Davey strongly indicated Thursday that the order would become permanent, saying he wouldn't have issued it if he thought Nader and running mate Peter Camejo properly qualified for the ballot.

"I'm quite confident in the ruling. There's at least 15 reasons as to why they won't qualify, at least 15 that I counted up," Davey said during a status hearing. "If it was one or two, I'd be worried about it, but there's a whole lot of reasons Mr. Nader and Mr. Camejo aren't going to appear on the ballot in Florida."

Democrats have argued that the Reform Party doesn't actively raise money or promote candidates and has only $18.18 in the bank"

I'd be surprised if the FLA Supreme Court doesn't overrule Jeb on this one. But sometimes in Flordia, laws only are applicable to one side.

Tom
09-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Dems..the party of choice. Unless it is not the choice they want you to make. Hehehe.
This is just too funny.
They try to prevent absentee servie ballots from being counted, they try to make special rules for counting selected ballots by county, they let dead people vote, and then whine about a 3% candidate getting on the ballot. Kerry running scared, is he?
Hehehe.
Demo-melt down. Time for a Dean Scream....Heeeyaaaaa!

chickenhead
09-15-2004, 03:30 PM
looks like the see-saw has swung to the other side again...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040915/ap_on_el_pr/nader_2

"The lawsuit is part of a national effort by Democrats to keep Nader off ballots in states where he could siphon votes from Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry (news - web sites)."

You Democrats should really be proud of yourselves...really really proud. Boy, we really gave those Independant voters a kick in the nuts....here, pat me on the back.

Secretariat
09-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Off again, huh?

No big surprise...still I think an appeal will be coming the whole way to election despite a federal judge not hearing the case. It'll most likely end up in the FL Supreme Court where Judge Davey's decision will be affirmed.

It is amazing the partisanship of the Jeb Bush admin attempting to violate their their own state election laws.

betchatoo
09-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I noticed that nobody answered my earlier question so I'll restate it.

Does Florida have a right to make rules as to how you can legitimately be put on the ballot? If not, why? If so, shouldn't Nader be required to meet those rules?

chickenhead
09-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Thank God we have the Democrats to look after the Floridians best interests.

betcha-- I have no problem with Florida deciding how people are properly put on the ballot, I just think it is disgusting the way the DNC has tried to keep Nader off the ballot via lawsuits in multiple states.

For a party to trumpet choice and opportunity, and then go out of their way to challenge and sue and tie up in court the possibility of expanded opportunity and choice on the ballot....well...that's about par for the course for the DNC. Who exactly is the DNC protecting with these lawsuits? The voters?

betchatoo
09-15-2004, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chickenhead
[B]Thank God we have the Democrats to look after the Floridians best interests.

See, we agree on something:D :D :D