PDA

View Full Version : Article about the good old days

AltonKelsey
10-19-2018, 09:59 PM
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/mesquite/2018/10/15/eighth-pole-technology-has-pushed-horse-racing-off-track/1578310002/

I like this line at the end

"
There are also a bunch of fans in mental care facilities, due to betting on horses their whole lives."

Should we tell him they are here, happy and healthy on PA?

Dave Schwartz
10-20-2018, 12:47 AM
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/mesquite/2018/10/15/eighth-pole-technology-has-pushed-horse-racing-off-track/1578310002/

I like this line at the end

"
There are also a bunch of fans in mental care facilities, due to betting on horses their whole lives."

Should we tell him they are here, happy and healthy on PA?

Well, we 're here, anyway. ;-)

Tom
10-20-2018, 11:48 AM
The PA uniform fits a bit tight, and the sleeves are waaaay too long.:eek:

But hey, I'm happy here!

HuggingTheRail
10-20-2018, 12:27 PM
I just hang out here because it makes me feel young :lol:

bobphilo
10-20-2018, 12:48 PM
I share the author's experience of New York racing in the 70's.
Great article that brings back memories of the past and makes important suggestions for the future.

Tom
10-20-2018, 01:09 PM
I just hang out here because it makes me feel young :lol:

Going to the track makes you feel young.....next to all those OLD people! :lol:

Greyfox
10-20-2018, 01:17 PM
The author's comment about horse racing fans in mental facilities is false.

However one conclusion is very true:
"Our industry has no commissioner or even a central body, leading to inconsistency and chaos in our sport."

It doesn't look like that need will ever be fulfilled.

Tom
10-20-2018, 04:05 PM
The game doesn't want to be controlled.

Shut up and bet.

bobphilo
10-20-2018, 05:41 PM
The game doesn't want to be controlled.

Shut up and bet.

Speak for yourself. The sport needs a central controlling body to end the inconsistencies in drug policy from separate commissions. Then some people like chaos.

bobphilo
10-20-2018, 07:37 PM
The author's comment about horse racing fans in mental facilities is false.

However one conclusion is very true:
"Our industry has no commissioner or even a central body, leading to inconsistency and chaos in our sport."

It doesn't look like that need will ever be fulfilled.

Judging by some of the posts on this board the author's comment about racing fans in mental facilities has some validity, though it wasn't meant to be taken literally. At least some are in need of anger management treatment. Seems that something about handicapping discussions that brings out some people's dark side. :mad:

However, totally agree with his conclusion that racing needs a central controlling body. :ThmbUp:

Tom
10-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Speak for yourself. The sport needs a central controlling body to end the inconsistencies in drug policy from separate commissions. Then some people like chaos.

Not what I said.

HalvOnHorseracing
10-20-2018, 11:36 PM
I could have written the first part of that article about myself! That was the NY experience.

AltonKelsey
10-21-2018, 01:03 AM
I could have written the first part of that article about myself! That was the NY experience.

He left out the part about how you'd reek of cigarette smoke when you left, as did your racing form

Don't miss that part at all.