PDA

View Full Version : New Yorkers at OTB restaurents

andicap
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Any New Yorkers here ever frequent the OTB watering holes and eateries in Manhattan or the Bronx on weekdays?

thoughts, etc.

I'll be in the city tomorrow and even with a Tuesday card thinking of hitting a convenient one for me. Maybe Playwright's on 35th street....

I live in Westchester County and even when I get a day off hate Yonkers Raceway's simulcasts. Don't like the crowd at all. It's either empty or surly. No ambiance, might as well stay home and play on PC.

the little guy
09-13-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't go to them, but Playwrites does NOT pay track odds, as it isn't a teletheater.

andicap
09-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks,
I'll avoid it and concentrate on the one on 2nd Ave., which I know DOES pay track odds and as I've been there I know its nice.

(last time I needed a jacket tho!)

OTM Al
09-13-2004, 04:53 PM
That is correct, only the teletheatres give track odds, but you do have to pay a small admission fee. The restaurants take off a small % of all cashed tickets with no fee. I almost always play at a restaurant in Brooklyn, but since I'm not pushing large amounts through the window, the extra takeout doesn't really bother me. It's worth it for the service I get.

andicap
09-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Do I still need to wear a sports jacket to the good restaurants?

Zman179
09-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Do I still need to wear a sports jacket to the good restaurants?

Nah, you can practically go butt nekid. Just be sure to order some food and/or drinks.

Need to correct something: The "OTB" restaurants get ZERO proceeds from wagering. OTB keeps all of it. The restaurants make their money from increased patronage via food/drinks so they seriously frown on someone who goes just to bet and not eat/drink.

Figman
09-13-2004, 09:45 PM
andi,

I like this one in Manhattan and it pays on-track prices.

The Yankee Clipper
170 John Street (off Water Street)
New York, New York
Reservations: (212) 344-5959

Storm Cadet
09-14-2004, 11:33 AM
A great place to go is O'Neils in Maspeth...a great Irish pub restaurant with an OTB area inside also...best wings and a great place to go to watch sports in general. You cannot get a seat there on Belmont or Breeders Cup day as well as baseball playoffs. A big Mets/ Rangers hangout as the owner's daughter married Leech of the Rangers!

andicap
09-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Figman
andi,

I like this one in Manhattan and it pays on-track prices.

The Yankee Clipper
170 John Street (off Water Street)
New York, New York
Reservations: (212) 344-5959

Way too far downtown to suit me.

I ended up forgetting to download today's cards on my laptop so went to Barnes & Nobles instead and read some of Brad Free's book. Not impressed. Mainly basic stuff. Good primer for beginners, tho.

They also had Bill Heller's turf book but didn't get chance to really peruse it that much.

Then my 5 p.m. drinks appointment stood me up so I could have been home by 3 p.m. instead of 7 p.m.

:mad: