PDA

View Full Version : Help

HHE10
10-17-2018, 03:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of how to make a software for horse racing. I have seen people with software in Google Sheets (or Excel), and wondering if anyone would give me examples on the software or how to actually make it. Anything will help. Thanks :headbanger::headbanger:

Actor
10-17-2018, 04:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of how to make a software for horse racing. I have seen people with software in Google Sheets (or Excel), and wondering if anyone would give me examples on the software or how to actually make it. Anything will help. Thanks :headbanger::headbanger:What programming language are you familiar with?

HHE10
10-17-2018, 05:13 PM
What programming language are you familiar with?

I’m pretty good at JavaScript

Actor
10-18-2018, 02:46 AM
I’m pretty good at JavaScriptAny other language?

JustRalph
10-18-2018, 04:05 AM
Too many good programs out there. You’re nuts if you build your own. Think about what your times worth?

HHE10
10-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Any other language?

Not really :bang:

Speed Figure
10-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Too many good programs out there. You’re nuts if you build your own. Think about what your times worth?I completely disagree!

headhawg
10-18-2018, 08:44 AM
You disagree with the too many good programs part, or how much a coder's time is worth?

NormanTD
10-18-2018, 09:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of how to make a software for horse racing. I have seen people with software in Google Sheets (or Excel), and wondering if anyone would give me examples on the software or how to actually make it. Anything will help. Thanks :headbanger::headbanger:

First, how will you open the data file and get the data into the program? You have to be able to this before you can start to manipulate said data.

Jeff P
10-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Here's a link to an older thread (from 2004) that contains VB (or VBA) code snippets showing how to open a data file:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15725

Hint: see posts #7 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144049&postcount=7), #11 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144114&postcount=11), #46 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153133&postcount=46), and #47 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153137&postcount=47).

That said, you should know going in that writing your own handicapping program is an endeavor that, in all likelihood, will take a significant amount of time.

-jp

JJMartin
10-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Here's a link to an older thread (from 2004) that contains VB (or VBA) code snippets showing how to open a data file:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15725

Hint: see posts #7 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144049&postcount=7), #11 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144114&postcount=11), #46 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153133&postcount=46), and #47 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153137&postcount=47).

That said, you should know going in that writing your own handicapping program is an endeavor that, in all likelihood, will take a significant amount of time.

-jp

Barbaric amounts of coding, debugging, refining, remodeling and even revamping.

Actor
10-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Too many good programs out there. You’re nuts if you build your own. Think about what your times worth?
Any commercial program that sells well has a following that will drive prices down.

Actor
10-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Barbaric amounts of coding, ...Coding is fun.
... debugging, ...My code does not have bugs.
... refining, remodeling and even revamping.More fun.

JJMartin
10-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Coding is fun.
My code does not have bugs.
More fun.

You Barbarian!!

Speed Figure
10-18-2018, 03:58 PM
You disagree with the too many good programs part, or how much a coder's time is worth?
I disagree that it's not worth the time. It most definitely is if you know what you want and you have the $ to get it programmed. If you have a programmer that already has the brisnet format to in port pp's your talking about basically writing code for your custom ratings and how you want everything displayed.

JustRalph
10-18-2018, 06:01 PM
I disagree that it's not worth the time. It most definitely is if you know what you want and you have the $ to get it programmed. If you have a programmer that already has the brisnet format to in port pp's your talking about basically writing code for your custom ratings and how you want everything displayed.

Nice to see you posting.

I’ve looked at most of the big programs. I cannot imagine something that I could come up with, that they haven’t already developed. Especially at this date of maturity. I won’t name names, but we have at least 4 developers on this board that should be greatly admired. They put out some really good stuff. Start shopping

But that’s just me....I guess

Form W-2G
10-18-2018, 06:06 PM
and wondering if anyone would give me examples on the software or how to actually make it. Anything will help. :headbanger::headbanger:

https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---instructions.html

After years of entering Brisnet PP data "by hand" into an Excel workbook that I use to create a odds line, I stumbled upon this a few days ago. Best of all, it's free.

Already it has saved me hours of work.

I only wish I'd found it years ago.

Actor
10-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Thoroughbred Handicapping the Computer Way by Howard Berenbon seems to be the only book out there on the subject of computer handicapping. I ordered it from Amazon on Oct 1 but it has yet to be shipped. According to the description it uses the Basic language and Excel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964620707/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mikesal57
10-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Thoroughbred Handicapping the Computer Way by Howard Berenbon seems to be the only book out there on the subject of computer handicapping. I ordered it from Amazon on Oct 1 but it has yet to be shipped. According to the description it uses the Basic language and Excel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964620707/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$662 ????????

Are you f^&@*%g nuts.......

Tom
10-20-2018, 11:50 AM
If I had $662, I wouldn't need a program to bet horses! :D

JJMartin
10-20-2018, 12:27 PM
$662 ????????

Are you f^&@*%g nuts.......

That's the cheaper one, there's another guy on Amazon selling for $1500.
And it's 22 years old.

mikesal57
10-20-2018, 12:30 PM
That's the cheaper one, there's another guy on Amazon selling for $1500.
And it's 22 years old.

OK...good...I'm getting that one....:lol:

Light
10-20-2018, 01:48 PM

I have that book but haven't looked at it in years. Now you got me curious enough to find it and revisit it. My recollection of the BASIC handicapping programs was that I was less than impressed.

Any rate you can use this site for university level courses in many types of computer programming and other subjects. Some you have to pay for but many are free.

https://www.edx.org

Actor
10-26-2018, 04:25 AM
$662 ????????

Are you f^&@*%g nuts.......Definitely not.

$9.99 plus 3.99 shipping. Total $14.98 My debit card has not been charged so far. It was supposed to delivered last Wednesday but it was not. Amazon says to take it up with the seller. I don't think he has the book and I don't think he ever had it. I'll probably end up cancelling the order if I can. $13.98 is not going to break me.

I've never had this happen with Amazon before.

Meanwhile another source (not Amazon) claims to have a copy for $97. I won't be buying that one.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find one for $662 ?

mikesal57
10-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Definitely not.

$9.99 plus 3.99 shipping. Total $14.98 My debit card has not been charged so far. It was supposed to delivered last Wednesday but it was not. Amazon says to take it up with the seller. I don't think he has the book and I don't think he ever had it. I'll probably end up cancelling the order if I can. $13.98 is not going to break me.

I've never had this happen with Amazon before.

Meanwhile another source (not Amazon) claims to have a copy for $97. I won't be buying that one.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find one for $662 ?

I clicked your link when you first put it up...it showed the book for $662...apparently something was wrong....and now some how it got rectified...
or maybe ..

I'm Nutz!!!

Mike

headhawg
10-26-2018, 08:25 AM
I'm Nutz!!I clicked the link as well and saw the same $600+ price. So you are not nutz. Well...maybe you are but not about what price you saw. :)

mikesal57
10-26-2018, 08:45 AM
I clicked the link as well and saw the same $600+ price. So you are not nutz. Well...maybe you are but not about what price you saw. :)

HH.....

Please agree with me that I am nutz...

I just lost my job and will be 62 in Feb....
I need to tap every and all resources so that I can to
continue to eat.....(scratch that, make it "continue to play the horses")

So if you or anyone else have suggestions , besides mental issues , please tell me what are my options...

Mike

headhawg
10-26-2018, 09:58 AM
I just lost my job and will be 62 in Feb....
I need to tap every and all resources so that I can to
continue to eat.....(scratch that, make it "continue to play the horses")

So if you or anyone else have suggestions , besides mental issues , please tell me what are my options...We are in very similar situations. Turned 62 in September and lost my job due to "budget cuts" last January. Tough world out there. I was going to develop some handicapping software to sell but the market is so small that it wasn't worth my time. Currently in career change mode which I don't feel like doing but really have no choice.

For you I suggest...winning money betting the ponies. :lol:

mikesal57
10-26-2018, 10:01 AM
We are in very similar situations. Turned 62 in September and lost my job due to "budget cuts" last January. Tough world out there. I was going to develop some handicapping software to sell but the market is so small that it wasn't worth my time. Currently in career change mode which I don't feel like doing but really have no choice.

For you I suggest...winning money betting the ponies. :lol:

Going to PM you Brian...

Actor
10-26-2018, 06:49 PM
Meanwhile another source (not Amazon) claims to have a copy for $97. I won't be buying that one.On the other hand I have found several for sale at various online sites, all asking for about $100. Maybe I could buy one, read it, then resell it.

AltonKelsey
10-26-2018, 08:47 PM
Never heard of the book, but I'd guess that it will be totally useless to you now .

If there was anything really good in there, wouldn't we know about it by now ?

Light
10-26-2018, 09:45 PM
On the other hand I have found several for sale at various online sites, all asking for about $100. Maybe I could buy one, read it, then resell it.

Don't buy the book. I found my old copy today. I'll tell you why it sucks tomorrow. Gotta go out with the wife right now. And when she says now, she means NOW!:D

Light
10-27-2018, 03:38 PM
So the book is only 62 pages. It is copyright 1995. As I've mentioned, he uses BASIC programing. Everything is still manual input AFTER you have the program up and ready. So instead of shortening your handicapping time it prolongs it.

He designs the program with factors he considers important such as "Last speed Rating". You reference the written program and see how he writes it in BASIC. In this case it is 100 Print "Enter Last Speed Rating" 105 Input S. Then he gives weight for each factor accumulating a max score of 100. He gives 10 points for the speed rating. So if the SR for a horse is 75 then that horse receives 75/10=7.5.

The finished program asks the number of horses in the race so it can then loop the same questions over for all horses in a race which you manually input.

In the grand finale he "tests" his system from ONE DAY at Aqu on DEC 15 1990. He passes over maiden races because of lack of data. His betting strategy is to bet the top two highest rated horses of the program.

His results were 4 winners from 6 races. A $27.40 horse. $4.60 Horse. $4.80. And $5.20 Horse. Comes to 90% ROI.

That test is as ridiculous as the book. Apparently between 1990 and the copyright of 1995, he did not publish anymore tests of it because the results were probably very depressing. And he even says he did not bet the six races he did publish. They are hypothetical bets.

But if his aim was just to teach you how to code, he doesn't succeed either because the book spoon feeds you the code. It does NOT teach you how to code with BASIC beyond his tiny program that fits on less than one page.

The Naivete of the author in programming and handicapping is staggering.

Light
10-28-2018, 02:22 PM
I'd like to point out that what the author considered to be a "handicapping program" back then is a simple macro today.

Dave Schwartz
10-28-2018, 04:13 PM
Curious if the original poster is the man who recently offered me $500 for Brecher's Beat the Races with a Computer book (https://www.amazon.com/Beating-Races-Computer-Steven-Brecher/dp/0960379207).

Actor
10-30-2018, 09:22 AM
So the book is only 62 pages. It is copyright 1995. As I've mentioned, he uses BASIC programing. Everything is still manual input AFTER you have the program up and ready. So instead of shortening your handicapping time it prolongs it.

He designs the program with factors he considers important such as "Last speed Rating". You reference the written program and see how he writes it in BASIC. In this case it is 100 Print "Enter Last Speed Rating" 105 Input S. Then he gives weight for each factor accumulating a max score of 100. He gives 10 points for the speed rating. So if the SR for a horse is 75 then that horse receives 75/10=7.5.

The finished program asks the number of horses in the race so it can then loop the same questions over for all horses in a race which you manually input.

In the grand finale he "tests" his system from ONE DAY at Aqu on DEC 15 1990. He passes over maiden races because of lack of data. His betting strategy is to bet the top two highest rated horses of the program.

His results were 4 winners from 6 races. A $27.40 horse. $4.60 Horse. $4.80. And $5.20 Horse. Comes to 90% ROI.

That test is as ridiculous as the book. Apparently between 1990 and the copyright of 1995, he did not publish anymore tests of it because the results were probably very depressing. And he even says he did not bet the six races he did publish. They are hypothetical bets.

But if his aim was just to teach you how to code, he doesn't succeed either because the book spoon feeds you the code. It does NOT teach you how to code with BASIC beyond his tiny program that fits on less than one page.

The Naivete of the author in programming and handicapping is staggering.It would have been interesting to read the book but not at the prices that have mentioned.

To me BASIC does not seem to be a very good language for handicapping programs. I'm not certain how you would read a comma delimited file in BASIC.

It seems to me that there would be a market for a book on how to write handicapping programs. I'm probably not the one to write it.

Light
10-30-2018, 02:01 PM
It would have been interesting to read the book but not at the prices that have mentioned.

Actually it isn't interesting because he does not teach. He does not get into the structure of coding as it relates to an output.

To me BASIC does not seem to be a very good language for handicapping programs. I'm not certain how you would read a comma delimited file in BASIC.

BASIC has had many versions. I believe VISUAL BASIC can import and process a delimited file.

It seems to me that there would be a market for a book on how to write handicapping programs. I'm probably not the one to write it.

I don't believe that is necessary. Decide what you want to see in an output file and then build the program to do that for you.

A co horse player friend of mine made us a horse racing program using Dbase3, a computer program from the 90's he majored in. It has many files and pages of code. Comparing that to the Author of the book you reference whose code is less than 1 page and you should understand that that book is a waste of your time and money. My program imports Bris files, processes them and outputs several factors I want to see including concepts from various Authors such as Scott form factors.

I've since moved on to using Excel (2016). I write my own Macros for the outputs I want to see and use Excel as a Database for results.