PDA

View Full Version : Robert E. Lee? Nope.......

JustRalph
10-15-2018, 09:15 AM
Once again the media is having to backtrack. After the original lies were trending on twitter for an entire day

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1051523821642113025

chadk66
10-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Once again the media is having to backtrack. After the original lies were trending on twitter for an entire day

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1051523821642113025no surprise.

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Yeah, but the other 99.9% of his reported whoppers are always true.

You choose to focus on the .1% that they get wrong, in their eagerness to report. :lol:

elysiantraveller
10-15-2018, 11:25 AM
At least he's right about that... Grant was vastly superior to Lee.

TJDave
10-15-2018, 03:46 PM
At least he's right about that... Grant was vastly superior to Lee.

Agree. Lee was a patrician general fighting for Virginia. Grant was a modern general fighting for the Union. Different mindsets fighting like in different centuries.

elysiantraveller
10-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Agree. Lee was a patrician general fighting for Virginia. Grant was a modern general fighting for the Union. Different mindsets fighting like in different centuries.

Grant was a modern military man for the day who understood combined arms significantly better than Lee and could manage an entire Theater of Operations. He wouldn't have been out of his depth being dropped in Europe in 1914.

Grant and Thomas were significantly better than Lee. Sherman possibly as well. That's just the Union Generals.

Thomas was a classical Napoleonic type General like Lee... but would have smashed him if they were to face off.

Robert E. Lee benefits greatly from the southern revisionist version of history.

sammy the sage
10-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Grant was a modern military man for the day who understood combined arms significantly better than Lee and could manage an entire Theater of Operations. He wouldn't have been out of his depth being dropped in Europe in 1914.

Grant and Thomas were significantly better than Lee. Sherman possibly as well. That's just the Union Generals.

Thomas was a classical Napoleonic type General like Lee... but would have smashed him if they were to face off.

Robert E. Lee benefits greatly from the southern revisionist version of history.

Wrong....the North wrote THE history...winners ALWAYS do....

And if the roles had been reversed....Lee would have ended the war a year earlier...

North got repeating rifles tho...end of story...

It was best that the north won...for a multitude of reasons....slavery being 1st...this coming from a southern white park trailer trash civil war history buff....

But hey...if you think so...it must be true...we'll just have to disagree on this topic...

elysiantraveller
10-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Wrong....the North wrote THE history...winners ALWAYS do....

Is that why Lee is still considered the Gentleman Southerner and Grant a drunk?

Grant swept him from the field at nearly every encounter including cracking Petersburg.

rastajenk
10-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Excuse me, amateur historians, but I think the point here is yet another attempt by the media to portray Trump as a racist, inarticulate dumbass by carefully editing the clips it shows; and is proved to be wrong again. I.e., Fake News! :jump:

elysiantraveller
10-15-2018, 11:13 PM
Excuse me, amateur historians, but I think the point here is yet another attempt by the media to portray Trump as a racist, inarticulate dumbass by carefully editing the clips it shows; and is proved to be wrong again. I.e., Fake News! :jump:

Doesn't mean he isn't a inarticulate dumbass.

sammy the sage
10-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Is that why Lee is still considered the Gentleman Southerner and Grant a drunk?

Northern writings started...southern just followed their lead

Grant swept him from the field at nearly every encounter including cracking Petersburg.

Grant had superior 2,3,4/to 1 numbers advantage as well as equipment/supplies/weaponary in EVERY battle...Lee had NONE the entire war...not once...

You're comparing apples to oranges...

The Tampa Bay bucs had Steve Young...bu no offensive line...they said he sucked...traded him to the 49'er's for a 3rd round draft pick...told every-one back then...dumbest trade of all time....he'll be the hall of fame....guess what...with weapons such as Rice & company and THE line....rest is history.

So again...if the roles WERE reversed...

Just google...who do northern scholars think was the best generals in the civil war...surely you can find a few to support you...be sure and omit the the ones that don't..:lol::pound:

alas...you just trolling...so I'm done with this...we ALL got an opinion...just like another part of our anatomy

sammy the sage
10-15-2018, 11:29 PM

somewhat true...well...imho...:pound:

thaskalos
10-16-2018, 01:01 AM

Yes. But he is the PRESIDENT...and you are NOT. :)

ReplayRandall
10-16-2018, 01:39 AM

Imagine a person who has never held nor ran for public office ever, and the first time this person does campaign for public office, it's for the Presidency of the United States.....and WINS as a first-time starter!

And this person is an "inarticulate dumbass"?.....Might be the most idiotic, ridiculous, asinine statement I've ever seen posted.....Foolish madness.

Clydepuckett
10-16-2018, 04:40 AM
Funny line by multiple historians....

When Lincoln was informed that Grant was a serious alcoholic, his response was "find out what he is drinking and send a barrel to all my Generals. He's the only one fighting and winning"

Also got an issue with Pres Trumps comment. Lee was also a West Pointer....graduated highest in his class. And had several West Pointers in his command.

FakeNameChanged
10-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Funny line by multiple historians....

When Lincoln was informed that Grant was a serious alcoholic, his response was "find out what he is drinking and send a barrel to all my Generals. He's the only one fighting and winning"

Also got an issue with Pres Trumps comment. Lee was also a West Pointer....graduated highest in his class. And had several West Pointers in his command.
Smartest doesn't always equate to best general in the field. It's usually the street smart guys who excel there.

woodtoo
10-16-2018, 07:17 AM
Imagine a person who has never held nor ran for public office ever, and the first time this person does campaign for public office, it's for the Presidency of the United States.....and WINS as a first-time starter!

And this person is an "inarticulate dumbass"?.....Might be the most idiotic, ridiculous, asinine statement I've ever seen posted.....Foolish madness.

Yes its like having a 1st time starter at the ripe age of 8 entering and winning the Breeders Cup Classic in a field of 19. HOY!!!
One race, one win.
With a second tier trainer to boot!