PDA

View Full Version : Who here lives in Moulton?

Secretariat
09-13-2004, 10:04 AM
http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/040912/sticker.shtml

ljb
09-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Sec,
Just another example of the neo-cons attempt at banning dissenters.
For shame, for shame!

JustMissed
09-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Maybe Elizabeth Edwards could get her a job at Wendy's.

Elizabeth could drop by for lunch everyday. They could share a few sacks of double burgers, fries and frostys, super sized of course.

Maybe Al & Tipper could drop by and they could listen to Al rant. I think Tipper loves the fried chicken sandwich dipped in chili.

Hey, former impeached president bill clinton will be out of the hospital soon. With those new arteries he can really chow down now. I know he's partial to Big Macs but he would enjoy Dave's double bacon cheesburger delux super sized with ranch dressing.

Poor Lynne. One day she's working around all that cellulose and the next day she's working around all that cellulite.

Would have been easier to just take the sticker off.

JM

ljb
09-13-2004, 02:53 PM
A woman is put out of work because of her political beliefs and you make a joke. For shame, for shame.

GameTheory
09-13-2004, 02:59 PM
This happens on both sides too. There are zealots everywhere...

ljb
09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Game.
Could you post the link?

JustMissed
09-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ljb
A woman is put out of work because of her political beliefs and you make a joke. For shame, for shame.

She won't be the only one without a job.

When lying John Kerry does away with the Bush tax cuts and the owner of that factory loses his tax credits and goes out of business there will be a lot more folks sitting around on the front porch all the live long day.

I guess you DemLibs will just pick my pocket some more and send my money to Lynne and her bumper sticker buddies.

Hey, I guess they can just sit around and eat all day. Then when Lynne get high blood pressure and diabetes, don't worry about a thing, she can just check into the Lying John Kerry Memorial Charity Hospital and they will take care of her.

Hey, don't worry about the hospital bill Lynne, they'll just pick my pocket a little bit more and it will all be paid.

Hey Lynne, I haven't had a boss for many years but when I did and he asked me to do something I said "Yes, Sir" and went about my business. When I left work I did as I damn well pleased but when at work or when parked in my bosses parking lot, I did what my boss wanted me to do. We got along just fine that way.

Lynne, all you had to do was just take off that sticker.

JM

GameTheory
09-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by ljb
Game.
Could you post the link? What link? Stuff like that has happened to me personally, but as far as I know it didn't make the newspaper...

andicap
09-13-2004, 04:03 PM
The more things change...

everyone talks about the vitriol of this election without consulting the history books.

In 1896, business execs told employees if they voted for Williams Jennings Bryan they would have no jobs when they came back.

(Not sure if they meant Bryan's policies were bad for labor or THEY KNEW who theywere voting for.) :)

If you heard Bryan speak, you'd hear vitriol and fire.

As Dustin Hoffman said in "Wag the Dog," (one of my favorite flicks) and now a catchphrase of mine.

"This is nothing!!............."

In 1884, Grover Cleveland got elected president -- a rarity for a Democrat back then after Republican James Blaine called New York the site of "Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion." Cleveland took NY and the election by a hair.

in 1878 of course was the famous Tilden-Hayes contest in which Tildn really did win but the Republicans stole it and the Dems acquiesced in return for ending Reconstruction.

in 1912 Teddy Roosevelt so hated his former mentree William H. Taft that he ran for a third party on the Bull Moose ticket and cost Taft re-election and allowed Wilson to get in. And no one every accused Roosevelt of holding his fire.

The "civil" elections are a relative recent phenomenon of the mid to late 20th century, ending about with Nixon of couse and the 72 dirty tricks and "enemies list," but Kennedy's people weren't innocents of couse (His dad was a quasi Nazi sympathizer and anti-Semitic. Famous quote from Joe Sr., "Don't' buy a single vote more than necessary!")

I'd love to read about why elections got relatively tame for a while and have now reverted back to the norm for this country's history. I really don't know the sociological and historical forces that have shaped this trend, although I was a history major.

I mean, they were really nasty in the 19th century!
Accused Grover Cleveland of having a baby out of wedlock. (Baby Ruth, the candy bar is the popular story).

ANd you know what Lincoln's enemies said about Mary Todd Lincoln (that she was mentally unstable. She wasn't but never really recovered after a couple of her sons died.)

Ain't history great? So much better than wondering who Britney's marrying or how much Mary-Kate weighs now that obsesss most of the noodlehead in this country.

Anyone watch the War of 1812 last night on History? Great show but I can't believe the actor they got to play Madison.
I mean he was 5 '4, 100 pounds soaking wet. He looked liek Wally Cox for chrissake and they get this heavy set big guy, who looked anything but like the Brainiac that Madison was. I mean the actor who played Madison looked like he played football for James Madison U.
Anyway, lib or con, it was a pretty inspring story how the country overcome the odds and held off the Brits in Baltimore and then mowed them down in New Orleans (after the war was over!!).

Everyone was happy for a while until the election of 1824 -- what a brouhaha that was!! Four people ran, Andrew Jackson got the most votes, popular and electoral but in the House, John Q. Adama won and served four extremely unpopular years as a man ahead of his time. (He'd be a New Deal liberal today.)

Jackson was a southern populist, considered the father of our real "democracy," instead of the aristocrats who ran the country before him, but he would be a hero to Ralph and the others since he hated the federal government, a real states rights guy, but he fought for the littie guy against the powerful. (And killed a lotof Indians)

Sorry for the digression, but I really dig history.

ag

P.S. Elizabeth Edwards is the most interesting, articulate, talented, and wittiest of all the candidatets and their spouses. Supposedly a lot of fun too, just a ball of energy, of fire.

In a perfect world (or maybe Europe or Canada), she would be the Democratic candidate. I'm not a feminist, but I think if she were a guy, she'd have a real high-powered career somewhere, either in law or politics or both.

How can you hold her weight against her? SHe's not obese -- she had two kids late in life and had trouble getting the weight off. It gets kindof hard to lose weight in your late 40s after having two kids.
(This was after one of her kids died tragically). Amazing that she could bear kids in late 40s, and they're adorable. She's a great mom, balancing her duties as a mom, her livlihood and working for her husband.

Just wonder why SHE had to give up her potential career instead of him. Oh well, she doesn't compalin so why should we?

PPS. Up here in the Northeast, Republicans should keep an eye on CT governor M. Jodi Rell an an up-and-coming official. If the right-wing doesn't kill her. Amazingly after the disgraceful resignation of Republican Gov. John Rowland in a kickback scandal, she has single handedly resurrected the party in the Nutmug State and will likely win a term on her own! I mean the GOP was toast in CT after Roland resigned.
An amazing political feat -- and she charmed the GOP delegates at the NYC convention as well.

ljb
09-13-2004, 04:12 PM
From Justmissed
" When lying John Kerry does away with the Bush tax cuts and the owner of that factory loses his tax credits and goes out of business there will be a lot more folks sitting around on the front porch all the live long day.

tax credits are usually local or state. What federal tax credits are you referring to?
and more from jm
Hey Lynne, I haven't had a boss for many years but when I did and he asked me to do something I said "Yes, Sir" and went about my business.
For some reason I find this hard to believe. Maybe that is why you no longer have a boss?

JustMissed
09-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Academy zone bond credit
Adoption credit
Alcohol Fuels credit
Alternative fuels credit
Child and dependent care credit
Child tax credit
Clinical testing expenses credit
Community development corporations credit
Disabled access credit
Earned income credit(this helps poor folk)
Education tuition credit
Elderly and permanently disabled tax credit
Elective deferrals and IRA tax credit(most often missed on personal tax returns)
Electric vehicles credit
Electricity production from renewalbe resources credit
Employer-provided child care credit
Empowerment zone employments credit
Energy investment credit
Enhanced oil recovery credit
Fuel productin credit
Gasoline and special fuels credit
General business credit
Home mortgage credit
Indian employment credit
Investment tax credit(helps buinssess buy new equipment)
Lifetime learning credit
Low-income housing credit
Orphan drugh credit
Reforestation investment credit
Rehabilitation investment credit
Research expneditures credit
Retirments savings contribution credit
Welfare-to-work credit
Work opportunity credit
New York Liberty Zone credit
Work opportunity credit

Hey, I missed a few but who is counting. What the hell are you talking about?

I have been self employed for many years. Why would you comment about me complying to my bosses requests and then going about my business. Some times you don't make sense to me.

JM

Tom
09-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ljb

I demand you provide proof that Bush was responsible for this.
Oh, that's right, you never offer proof, just BS.
L, you are an idiot. And a loser. And....ooops! NYPD Blue standards prevent me from continuing. And I am not whinnig about my free speech being violated by neophite webmasters, either. (Kidding, PA!)

Secretariat
09-13-2004, 09:25 PM
This is an interesting case.

1. Can an employer distribute political propaganda to employees?

2. What rights does an employee have to express their poltical beleifs in the workplace, OR in the parking lot as is this case?

3. What are acceptable limits on free speech versus workplace employer/employee entitlements?

I got to tell you, it is a sad day in America when we have to be worried about getting fired for putting a political sticker on your bumper. I never heard of such a thing.

Equineer
09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
What link? Stuff like that has happened to me personally, but as far as I know it didn't make the newspaper... Since LJB demanded a link to find some zealots, let me suggest the following: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5

:)

Tom
09-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
This is an interesting case.

1. Can an employer distribute political propaganda to employees?

2. What rights does an employee have to express their poltical beleifs in the workplace, OR in the parking lot as is this case?

3. What are acceptable limits on free speech versus workplace employer/employee entitlements?

I got to tell you, it is a sad day in America when we have to be worried about getting fired for putting a political sticker on your bumper. I never heard of such a thing.

A person should have the right to wear any buttons or bumper stickers they damn well please, excpect when they are on the clock representing the company. If her car were used for deliveries, then no, she should not be allowed to display it. The employer should be able to restrict political buttons on the work floor, as long as he restricts ALL buttons, not just dem or reps.
Distibuting anything in the workplace is a no no, but on break is fair game. No one should be fired for expressing their politcal beliefs while not on the clock, unless of course they are nazis or Al Qeada members.
But let's add labor unions into the mix...they contribute money to political parties regardless of what the workers want - and is money from thier dues.
I tihk there might be more to this story than was reported by a biased press. :D

But if things went down as she says (which I doubt ) and she is afraid to fight for her job, then she doesn't deserve it. She sholul go to a lawyer or the labor board, not a newspaper.

JustRalph
09-13-2004, 09:56 PM
An Employers rights to control the environment and work space extends to the edge of the property line.........i.e. the parking lot........this could be interesting.............