PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

Tom
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Somehow, about.com keeps showing up as my home page. I keep changing the settings in Internet Options, but everytime I start up, about.com shows up. I have about.had it! LOL
I change this both in the program and in the copntrol panel.
In their infinite wisdom (not) is there yet a third place you have to make this change?

Make that about:blank. Anbd suddenly, PA main screen is starting pop ups and it never did before.

Buckeye
09-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Have you tried running Ad-aware?

JustRalph
09-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Tom

your browser has been hijacked......... try a "system restore" to back before the hijack occurred. I hope it was only a day or so ago..... I also assume this is your xp machine..........it can get worse.......so let me know if you need any help dealing with it.

open the internet settings and post exactly what the home page settings are set to

http://www.justralph.com/options.jpg

Tom
09-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I do that, but everytime I exit and come back, the about:blank site is there again.
Just ran AdAware and had all kinds of browser hijack programs.
the problem just happened tonight, but I cannot restore to yesterday-says no changes were made.

JustRalph
09-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I do that, but everytime I exit and come back, the about:blank site is there again.
Just ran AdAware and had all kinds of browser hijack programs.
the problem just happened tonight, but I cannot restore to yesterday-says no changes were made.

go back to the day before...........

give me the exact site that is listed

" like what is entered in the pic above' there are some specific programs out there to eliminate hijack's but we have to identify it first.........

Tom
09-12-2004, 10:57 PM
about:blank keeps popping up as home.
Adaware keeps identifying Cool Web Search files as criticals. But everytime I delete, they come right back.

Speed Figure
09-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Try this! www.ccleaner.com. If this does not work, it sounds like a VIRUS.:mad:

Valuist
09-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Maybe somebody can answer this one: For the past 10 days, I cannot place bets thru Brisbet online (on my home computer). I can access their home page but when I try to log on, I get "action cancelled" and a white screen error page. I have no problem accessing my account thru my computer at work but I am getting tired of calling wagers in over the phone on the weekend. Any ideas?

Valuist
09-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Speed Figure-

Thanks for that link. I ran it on my computer and it fixed whatever problem/virus there was. Much appreciated.;)

JustRalph
09-13-2004, 01:57 AM
Tom

This hijack you have is a real mess. I will post some links for you...but it is a killer to remove.........I am still searching for a better solution.........

this program supposedly helps get rid of your hijack

http://www.soft32.com/download-CWShredder-19014-5.html

try it let me know........ I downloaded it and scanned it, it appears safe.

I have run this before and it worked.........but I don't know about this current version. Let me know if this works.

Speed Figure
09-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
Speed Figure-

Thanks for that link. I ran it on my computer and it fixed whatever problem/virus there was. Much appreciated.;) Valuist,

That's great! It was figman that got me on it. Thanks Figman!:cool:

SilverSow
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I had the about. thing going on here for awhile too... ended up doing a google search & stumbled on a place to download a fix... darned if I recall the particulars any more than that... but the fix is out there...

Dave

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2004, 12:27 AM
There was a thread about this a month or two ago. I had the same exact problem. Had to find some obscure program from Germany (no english in the directions or on the screen...LOL)

It worked. That's all that matters....

Here's the thread...follow the directions Tom and you should be fixed, if you haven't already rolled back....

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13105&highlight=hijack