PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Upholds N. D. Voting ID Law, 6-2

boxcar
10-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Supreme Court rules 6-2 in favor of North Dakota's voter ID law

http://www.inforum.com/news/government-and-politics/4511372-supreme-court-rules-6-2-favor-north-dakotas-voter-id-law

This decision will likely have huge ramifications for other states that will want to pass voter ID laws. :coffee:

Greyfox
10-10-2018, 10:01 AM
A voter ID law makes good sense. :ThmbUp:

Andy Asaro
10-10-2018, 10:05 AM
:ThmbUp:

woodtoo
10-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Crooked Hillary is gonna freak out.

elysiantraveller
10-10-2018, 10:10 AM
That's the correct ruling.

ID or supplemental documentation showing Proof of Residence. Basically the same thing you would need if you wanted to get a loan.

boxcar
10-10-2018, 10:20 AM
There is absolutely no way that anyone in this day and age can hide behind a P.O. Box only mailing address. Can people with drivers' licenses drive without having their legal residential address on their licenses?

And for people who ride horses only (such as ND Indians perhaps or other rural residents), then let them apply for an official state ID.

Tom
10-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Making America Greater than ever........about damn time we put some respect into our most important right. :headbanger:

Now, before anyone asks,

No! You cannot use your DEATH Certificate for ID!~LULZ

This ain't no damn farmer's market where anyone walks up and buys a rutabaga.

elysiantraveller
10-10-2018, 10:27 AM
There is absolutely no way that anyone in this day and age can hide behind a P.O. Box only mailing address. Can people with drivers' licenses drive without having their legal residential address on their licenses?

And for people who ride horses only (such as ND Indians perhaps or other rural residents), then let them apply for an official state ID.

I've got a guy right now who has lived in a hotel for about 4 years applying for a mortgage. His DL has the actual Hotel Address and Room Number on it.

No bullshit.

boxcar
10-10-2018, 10:30 AM
I've got a guy right now who has lived in a hotel for about 4 years applying for a mortgage. His DL has the actual Hotel Address and Room Number on it.

No bullshit.

I absolutely believe that. I don't think there's any state (well...maybe Kalifornia) that will issue a license to anyone with just a P.O. Box address.

Tom
10-10-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm not really an American citizen, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :lol:

elysiantraveller
10-10-2018, 10:32 AM
I'm not really an American citizen, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :lol:

He's not staying in a Holiday Inn Express...

Billy, his name isn't Billy, I suspect has a bit of a substance abuse problem.

Anyway not to derail the thread. Where I live we need to show Registration, ID, or current mail (60 days I think) like a utility bill. Same things lender's require.

Tom
10-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Humor, the lost art. :rolleyes:

elysiantraveller
10-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Humor, the lost art. :rolleyes:

I chuckled.

I also know the hotel... its under the overpass... and has a reputation.

Wouldn't be surprised if they charge hourly. ;)

Suff
10-10-2018, 11:16 AM
My fake Id business is about to explode! Love Trump! Thank you Cavanaugh!

I hope they rule next that everybody needs two ID's! Ka-Ching!:ThmbUp:

woodtoo
10-10-2018, 12:02 PM

If you are an American citizen why the need to pay for fake ID?

Tom
10-10-2018, 12:26 PM

When live gives you lemons......:lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
10-10-2018, 12:48 PM

No bullshit.

I’ve got a few employees that do that. Lots of new franchise hotels popping up in the area. They would rather live in the hotel than rent an apartment. The hotels are newer and they would rather

One is a couple who paid about a grand a month total for a one bedroom apt. They can live in the hotel for $850 a month, with free WiFi-cable tv-no utilities-and housekeeping every day. Free breakfast every morning too.

They tell me they are saving about $500 a month over the apartment. The hotel is closer to work too.

barahona44
10-10-2018, 01:33 PM
I’ve got a few employees that do that. Lots of new franchise hotels popping up in the area. They would rather live in the hotel than rent an apartment. The hotels are newer and they would rather

One is a couple who paid about a grand a month total for a one bedroom apt. They can live in the hotel for $850 a month, with free WiFi-cable tv-no utilities-and housekeeping every day. Free breakfast every morning too.

They tell me they are saving about $500 a month over the apartment. The hotel is closer to work too.

I hope they joined the hotel's loyalty program.They can get a lot of free nights. :)

Tom
10-10-2018, 03:16 PM
31 free mints a month.
Good deal!

chadk66
10-10-2018, 07:27 PM
we've had this law for quite a few years now. don't recall seeing one single complaint. it's worked very well.

Mr.XXX
10-10-2018, 09:48 PM

Decades ago I moved to California, right when they started with all the anti-laundering efforts.
Banks there were requiring two picture IDs to open account. They wouldn't accept my CA DL plus other backup docs, so I went back to DMV and also obtained the non-driver State ID. Back to the same banks with both in hand, and no problem(strange, didn't ask for SSN card).
I also got pulled over a lot-- between speeding and the strict crosswalk enforcement that someone from NYC would have trouble comprehending.
Every single time cops would give me grief: "why did you get both, what are you trying to pull, I wasn't asked for two ID's to open a bank account".

I also remember buying appliances and trying to pay in cash, and many folk would get suspicious. "Don't you have a check you can give me instead?"
I would often tell them that if I tried to pay by check in NY for such a large amount, the baseball bat would likely come out from behind the counter.
Doctors offices would be another trip(even in NY too). Nobody used to ask for payment(or even personal info) upfront, not even after. Go in, get treated, then go to receptionist and provide address to send the bill to. Receptionists would look at me funny when pulling out cash."Don't worry, wait for the bill. And you don't have to pay it all in full either, you can split it up in payments."

Zydeco
10-10-2018, 10:17 PM

Did they check your ID when you checked in or just take your cash??

Tom
10-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Cash talks.
It is the universal ID.

JustRalph
10-11-2018, 12:06 AM
I hope 45 states copy this law immediately

Sometimes demanding an ID is an example of “rote” training or a perfunctory performance of assigned duties.

I recently opted to see a Doctor that is not in my health plan. My wife had previously seen the same Doctor about 6 months ago, and we had insurance that covered the Doctor (I recently changed health plans) and the wife’s blood work was billed at 753 bucks. Lots of extra tests etc. co pay was 77 bucks for the wife.

6 months later I see the Doc w no insurance, They did blood work that was the same. I mention to the Doctor that I was biting the bullet and paying cash. She says “oh, the cash price is much less”

I check out and it’s 179 bucks. I ask why it’s so much cheaper? They tell me I’m paying the actual price, for not having to go through insurance paperwork etc. :bang:

I start to pay with cash and the gal working behind the counter asks if I could use a credit card because they don’t take cash. Another girl steps in and says “we can take it” and offers to show the girl how to take cash. After two minutes of on the fly training she takes the cash and asks me for an ID. For a cash transaction.

I just laughed and showed her my ID.

boxcar
10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Cash talks.
It is the universal ID.

Not for much longer. The entire world is moving slowly and relentlessly toward all cashless transactions.

Inner Dirt
10-11-2018, 12:10 PM
In Virginia you have to produce I.D. to vote and they stare you up and down while you spell your name and recite your address while holding your I.D. I think anyone trying to vote illegally would take of running if they tried it here.

FantasticDan
10-11-2018, 02:32 PM
https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1050087800375267329

Suff
10-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Decades ago I moved to California, right when they started with all the anti-laundering efforts.
Banks there were requiring two picture IDs to open account. "

The explicit right to vote is not in the constitution. To vote in the colonies you were required to own land. in Virginia you had to own a minimum amount of land to.

Of course people should have an ID to vote. If I was the boss , to vote you would need to bring your tax returns. If you don't pay taxes I'm iffy about giving you a vote.

Buckeye
10-11-2018, 03:15 PM
I can spell Studio 6.

Getting back to voting rights, somebody has to prove something.

Seems fair to me.

boxcar
10-11-2018, 03:41 PM
https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1050087800375267329

Big deal. All voters should be expected to take responsibility for their voting identification info. If something isn't right, they should be barred from voting until it's fixed.

chadk66
10-11-2018, 03:57 PM
The explicit right to vote is not in the constitution. To vote in the colonies you were required to own land. in Virginia you had to own a minimum amount of land to.

Of course people should have an ID to vote. If I was the boss , to vote you would need to bring your tax returns. If you don't pay taxes I'm iffy about giving you a vote.
I agree. If you don’t have skin in the game you shouldn’t be allowed to vote

barahona44
10-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Not for much longer. The entire world is moving slowly and relentlessly toward all cashless transactions.

I don't think the average heroin pusher is going to take American Express from their clientele.

I've been hearing about this cashless society for a long time.It's still a ways off. Especially since large parts of Europe and Asia still operate on a limited credit model.

What WILL go the way of the 8-track and black and white TV sets is the personal check.-15 years at the most I say.

barahona44
10-11-2018, 04:48 PM
I agree. If you don’t have skin in the game you shouldn’t be allowed to vote

I'd agree but the people who can't vote also shouldn't have to pay sales tax, property tax,gasoline tax and estate tax.They also get rebates on rent payments to account for the portion of the rent their landlord pays in taxes.

Should wealthy individuals get extra votes for paying extra taxes?Only seems fair.

boxcar
10-11-2018, 05:35 PM
I don't think the average heroin pusher is going to take American Express from their clientele.

I've been hearing about this cashless society for a long time.It's still a ways off. Especially since large parts of Europe and Asia still operate on a limited credit model.

What WILL go the way of the 8-track and black and white TV sets is the personal check.-15 years at the most I say.

Most of Europe already has had severe restrictions on cash withdrawals from banks for quite a while now.

Also, try buying a big ticket item with cash in this country. (No heroin doesn't count. :rolleyes: )

Any country with an income tax system would greatly prefer digital transactions over cash any day for obvious reasons.

I predict hot dog vendors will be swiping cards soon. Stay tuned... :coffee:

chadk66
10-11-2018, 06:31 PM
I'd agree but the people who can't vote also shouldn't have to pay sales tax, property tax,gasoline tax and estate tax.They also get rebates on rent payments to account for the portion of the rent their landlord pays in taxes.

Should wealthy individuals get extra votes for paying extra taxes?Only seems fair.well if you can't vote because you don't have skin in the game you obviously aren't paying taxes. Sales tax would be the one exception. Although that is a choice to pay that or not. You don't have to buy things that require sales tax. Gas tax is for highway use so that's really a non factor. I don't think anybody that isn't paying taxes is going to be paying any estate tax lol.

Tom
10-11-2018, 06:33 PM

What about aliens here on visas?
They should not vote, and they should pay their way, no?
They get the benefit of our roads, our infrastructure, police protection.....

barahona44
10-11-2018, 08:28 PM
well if you can't vote because you don't have skin in the game you obviously aren't paying taxes. Sales tax would be the one exception. lthough that is a choice to pay that or not. You don't have to buy things that require sales tax. Gas tax is for highway use so that's really a non factor. I don't think anybody that isn't paying taxes is going to be paying any estate tax lol.
Where is this place that you have a choice of paying a sales tax or not?

Don't buy things that require a sales tax?Many states tax clothing.Cooking utensils, appliances,etc. are taxed.I guess the poor should go naked.And hungry.

Please introduce me to the landlord who doesn't factor in property taxes in how much rent to charge.

And explain to me about gasoline taxes are for highway use only.That's where the money is (supposedly)going, but when you pay at the pump ,you pay the fuel taxes whether you use the highway or not.Unless you think poor people shouldn't have cars.Or clothes.

And many of those not paying income taxes are senior citizens.'Nuff said.

barahona44
10-11-2018, 08:30 PM
What about aliens here on visas?

E.T. paid taxes!! :D

chadk66
10-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Where is this place that you have a choice of paying a sales tax or not?

Don't buy things that require a sales tax?Many states tax clothing.Cooking utensils, appliances,etc. are taxed.I guess the poor should go naked.And hungry.

Please introduce me to the landlord who doesn't factor in property taxes in how much rent to charge.

And explain to me about gasoline taxes are for highway use only.That's where the money is (supposedly)going, but when you pay at the pump ,you pay the fuel taxes whether you use the highway or not.Unless you think poor people shouldn't have cars.Or clothes.

And many of those not paying income taxes are senior citizens.'Nuff said.
MN for example. Essentials like food and clothing aren’t taxed. If you can show you pay any of these taxes aside from sales and gas taxes then by all means you should vote. If not you have no skin in the game

chadk66
10-12-2018, 04:43 PM
One thing that really pisses me off is people that pay no property taxes get to vote in measures that are using property tax increases to fund them.

Lemon Drop Husker
10-12-2018, 04:45 PM
I can only assume California is next?

JustRalph
10-12-2018, 06:22 PM
One thing that really pisses me off is people that pay no property taxes get to vote in measures that are using property tax increases to fund them.

Always been a pet peeve of mine

chadk66
10-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Always been a pet peeve of mineespecially new school building votes. You get all these 18-24 year olds living at home or at college that will probably not ever reside in the city again upon graduating college. Yet they get to vote on a matter that they have no stake in and they all want to spend other peoples money because it's for their buddies.

chadk66
10-12-2018, 07:08 PM
I personally feel that the only people that should vote on property tax measures are those that actually write the check to the county for their taxes. If the issue is important enough and rental property owners can see a benefit they will vote for it. If building good schools helps a rental owner keep his rental property full he will be inclined to vote for it.

Tom
10-12-2018, 08:12 PM
School taxes are outrageous!

FAR too much money is being spent on things that are not needed for a good education.

People with children should bear that that burden.
Those without children should pay a very nominal annual fee.
Very nominal.

Kids in school should be kicking in by doing community service instead of sports. Mow lawns, shovel snow for the elderly, thing like that. Some many hours needed to pass each year.

lex
10-12-2018, 08:32 PM
I personally feel that the only people that should vote on property tax measures are those that actually write the check to the county for their taxes. If the issue is important enough and rental property owners can see a benefit they will vote for it. If building good schools helps a rental owner keep his rental property full he will be inclined to vote for it.

As a renter I'm well aware that I'm the one paying the property taxes and I vote accordingly. I'm sorry that most renters don't realize this.

I have to say I don't think a lot of the people in my complex are even registered to vote. Last time someone was going around before a general election he said there were only a few people in here. Probably smart since it seems to be the connection to jury duty around here.

Lemon Drop Husker
10-12-2018, 08:35 PM
School taxes are outrageous!

FAR too much money is being spent on things that are not needed for a good education.

People with children should bear that that burden.
Those without children should pay a very nominal annual fee.
Very nominal.

Kids in school should be kicking in by doing community service instead of sports. Mow lawns, shovel snow for the elderly, thing like that. Some many hours needed to pass each year.

All New Yorkers (and mostly East Coasters) do is complain about SALT taxes, traffic, and their shitty government.

Remind me again why you choose to live there?

boxcar
10-13-2018, 10:38 AM

Since interest rates are climbing, I started to shop around yesterday for competitive rates for CDs, money market, high yield savings, etc. One of the better deals out there for any of the above products is being offered by PurePoint that is owned by a huge Japanese-owned financial interest known as the MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group). Supposedly, this is the world's fifth largest bank with assets in the trillions.

PurePoint bills itself as a "hybrid" (brick-mortar/online) bank. While they offer very competitive rates, they are very clear on one thing:They conduct NO CASH transactions whatsoever. All transactions are either bank tranfer, wire transfer, mobile deposit or by check only. This includes withdrawals, as they offer no ATM service. Notice the blurb under the "Fund your account easily".

https://www.purepoint.com/online-banking/certificates-of-deposit/high-yield

Mr. 44, cash will go out of style long before checks will. I can tell you some very interesting experiences I've had when making "large" (but always under 10K) withdrawals from various banks. Some banks have even told me that the next time I want to withdraw anything over 5K, it would be prudent for me to call the day before to order the amount needed! The excuse they give is that they don't keep large amounts of cash on hand. This is a policy that is doubtlessly in place to discourage "large" cash withdrawals.

The entire world has been and is still moving in this direction (cashless) because it is unwittingly fulfilling a biblical prophecy,( albeit one made by logical inference) in the Book of Revelations. :coffee:

barahona44
10-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Mr. 44,

I'm digging that name. :ThmbUp:

I didn't say it was NEVER going to happen, just that it's a ways off.The day they predict this happens keeps getting moved into the future, it's going to be 1990, then 2000, then 2020,etc.Cash's fungibility is its greatest asset,(and also its greatest liability-lost or stolen you is S.O.L.) something that a debit or credit card can never emulate. For very large transactions,I doubt if there has ever been more than a few cash only transactions even back in our parents time.

And the personal check will be :rip:by 2030.Kinda like vinyl record albums; they're still being made but in limited quantities.

As always, have a pleasant weekend.

boxcar
10-13-2018, 05:19 PM
I'm digging that name. :ThmbUp:

I didn't say it was NEVER going to happen, just that it's a ways off.The day they predict this happens keeps getting moved into the future, it's going to be 1990, then 2000, then 2020,etc.Cash's fungibility is its greatest asset,(and also its greatest liability-lost or stolen you is S.O.L.) something that a debit or credit card can never emulate. For very large transactions,I doubt if there has ever been more than a few cash only transactions even back in our parents time.

And the personal check will be :rip:by 2030.Kinda like vinyl record albums; they're still being made but in limited quantities.

As always, have a pleasant weekend.

It's only a "ways off" if you haven't been reading the signs of the times for the last decade or two. And cash transactions are getting tighter than ever here in the U.S. But nothingbig happens overnight. The public is eased slowly into big changes like this, so that when the time comes to pull the plug on cash, virtually everyone will just yawn. But again...Europe is way ahead of us -- probably because we haven't gone full tilt socialism, yet. The people in the EU are more acclimated to government controls than we are.

I even get the "what planet are you from" look when I deposit 5K or so in cash into any of my accounts. Really? What's 5K today!? :coffee:

And you have a great weekend, as well, sir.