PDA

View Full Version : Limo Crash kills 20 people

Tom
10-07-2018, 06:10 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/us/new-york-limo-crash/index.html

18 people in one limo? All dead.
2 pedestrians also killed.

Seat belts not required in the back seats.
This is going to ripple through the limo industry.

:rip:

JustRalph
10-07-2018, 07:17 PM
From what I read, the State has liability here....how much? Who knows? Poor design on the roadway

Lemon Drop Husker
10-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Sickening.

I won't be shocked if the cell phone had activity with the driver.

VigorsTheGrey
10-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Must have been a fire...crash and burn..?

JustRalph
10-07-2018, 08:16 PM
300 ft recognition points in a 50 mph zone is pretty short.

One article I read said it’s more like 230ft.

Lemon Drop Husker
10-07-2018, 08:36 PM
300 ft recognition points in a 50 mph zone is pretty short.

One article I read said it’s more like 230ft.

Regardless of traffic signs, and roads of travel. A limo service needs to be on point about the route they are traveling for being very well paid for their service.

The very service Limo's give their customers is to treat them well, and get them from point A to point B in a timely and luxurious fashion.

It is the very reason why people pay for the service.

Otherwise, we can all call Uber or Lyft.

Tom
10-07-2018, 09:09 PM
I heard, but can't confirm, it was a birthday party and they hired the limo so they could party and be safe.

jeebus1083
10-07-2018, 09:14 PM
This happened roughly 40 miles from where I live. Such a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to all involved and their families.

Tom
10-08-2018, 05:02 PM
New today.
Limo was not supposed to be on the road, and driver was not properly licensed.

Suff
10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Richard Migliore's brother in-law was in the Limo.

lex
10-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Richard Migliore's brother in-law was in the Limo.

This isn't true. His brother-in-law did pass away but it wasn't related to this. The Mig put his name in his tweet and it's not on the list of victims.

Suff
10-08-2018, 09:13 PM
This isn't true. His brother-in-law did pass away but it wasn't related to this. The Mig put his name in his tweet and it's not on the list of victims.
boom, sorry, my bad. Thanks. I read both his tweets and knowing he's right there, and the language of sudden loss, I incorrectly tied it together. Sorry to anyone affected by my incorrect post. He did lose his brother in-law suddenly but not in this accident. Thanks again Lex.

lex
10-08-2018, 09:15 PM
boom, sorry, my bad. Thanks. I read both his tweets and knowing he's right there, and the language of sudden loss, I incorrectly tied it together. Sorry to anyone affected by my incorrect post. He did lose his brother in-law suddenly but not in this accident. Thanks again Lex.

No problem. That actually popped into my head when I first saw his tweet,

Tom
10-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Son of the owner of the Limo service arrested and charged with criminally negligent homicide.

fast4522
10-10-2018, 08:28 PM
It is incumbent upon all of us to be ultimately responsible for our oun safety, just as it was for the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. Your gut tells you that your last flight on the same plane was rough, and what do you do and get on it again just because someone says do it? The cheep seats are not the best way to go.

woodtoo
10-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Limos are cheap seats?

Mr.XXX
10-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Surprised the FBi informant angle barely getting a mention.

fast4522
10-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Limos are cheap seats?

When you decide to do something, you make it your business to know with who right? Some poor lady lost 4 daughters and the men they were married to, talk about grief?

Inner Dirt
10-11-2018, 01:15 PM
As someone who used to sell to the limousine manufacturing industry I am shocked that tragedies of this magnitude don't happen more frequently.

First the center or stretch section of the limousine is nothing more than a tubed extension of the vehicle frame with a standard floor pan and the sides are no more reinforced than a modern car door. Also the seats in the longer stretches are mostly along the sides which makes side impacts particularly nasty for the unbelted passengers.

Another problem is the fact the limo industry boomed and then crashed hard in the recession of 2008. A lot of limo builders closed shop and never came back and during the boom way over built. A lot of limos built in that period are still on the road today. In fact the limo involved in the accident was built in 2001. I called on many a limo builder in that era and truth be told a lot of them were built by small operations that did not have the kind of equipment or skilled labor to build a safe limousine.

They are just cutting a vehicle in half and adding an extension in the middle, they start with a standard vehicle bought from a dealer. Some operations split the cars on a rail system equipped with lasers to make sure they were perfectly aligned when welded back together. Smaller or lower budget operations rolled them apart on bare cement, even on asphalt and eyeballed them when welding them back together.

These cars are not stretched like they were built in Detroit. A lot of the ones I saw had undocumented day laborer types working on the cars with little or no training. Most of those cars were built with bells, whistles and luxury in mind and safety was on the low end of the priority list.