PDA

View Full Version : I vote “present”...

VigorsTheGrey
10-07-2018, 12:37 AM
The Kavanaugh vote was 50-48 to confirm him...
Senator Daines was at a wedding and did not vote..
Senator Murkowski voted “Present”...

What the heck is that...? “present”:bang:???

She was going to vote no...why didn’t she just vote no and the count would have been 50-49...?

elysiantraveller
10-07-2018, 12:48 AM
The Kavanaugh vote was 50-48 to confirm him...
Senator Daines was at a wedding and did not vote..
Senator Murkowski voted “Present”...

What the heck is that...? “present”:bang:???

She was going to vote no...why didn’t she just vote no and the count would have been 50-49...?

They had enough votes to clear Kavanaugh by 2.

51 to 49 if Daines was present.

Since Daines was out of state attending his daughters wedding and would be a YES they basically agreed to remove a no. The reason for doing this was to preserve the "margin of victory". If a senator flipped overnight and went to a no Daines would have to leave his daughters wedding and fly home to break the tie. If TWO senators flipped and voted no the nominee would be defeated regardless of his or Murkowski's vote.

Murkowski basically just did Daines a solid so he could enjoy his daughters wedding by removing her No vote and just voting Present with him.

VigorsTheGrey
10-07-2018, 01:59 AM

Since Daines was out of state attending his daughters wedding and would be a YES they basically agreed to remove a no. The reason for doing this was to preserve the "margin of victory". If a senator flipped overnight and went to a no Daines would have to leave his daughters wedding and fly home to break the tie. If TWO senators flipped and voted no the nominee would be defeated regardless of his or Murkowski's vote.

Murkowski basically just did Daines a solid so he could enjoy his daughters wedding by removing her No vote and just voting Present with him.
So there are three options...? A YES...a NO...and a “Present”..?

So this Republican Senator, the only one to vote “no” decides to go against all the other Republicans, yet still wants her colleague to be able to attend his daughter’s wedding...? Gee, that’s swell of her...ought to help her to crawl back into the graces of her party, and at the same time she caved into Feinstein and preserves her solidarity with the nation’s liberal women...

but you know what...Daines OUGHT TO HAVE BEEN THERE...he IS representing a large number of American people, that’s HIS JOB...everyone else was there regardless of their circumstances...basically, he’s putting his private life before the interests of the Americans he represents...”sorry honey...I can’t be there...”

elysiantraveller
10-07-2018, 02:14 AM

So this Republican Senator, the only one to vote “no” decides to go against all the other Republicans, yet still wants her colleague to be able to attend his daughter’s wedding...? Gee, that’s swell of her...ought to help her to crawl back into the graces of her party, and at the same time she caved into Feinstein and preserves her solidarity with the nation’s liberal women...

but you know what...Daines OUGHT TO HAVE BEEN THERE...he IS representing a large number of American people, that’s HIS JOB...everyone else was there regardless of their circumstances...basically, he’s putting his private life before the interests of the Americans he represents...”sorry honey...I can’t be there...”

I mean... it was his daughters wedding. He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

He was a yes. She was a no. They agreed to pair their votes together and cancel each other out. The calculus remains the same:

98 total votes and 50-48 vs. 100 total votes and 51-49.

If a vote flips in the 98 scenario he gets to stay at his daughters wedding and not worry about it but not the 100. If 2 votes flip it's irrelevant the nominee is defeated in either scenario.

Pence breaks ties regardless of its 50-50 or 49-49.

VigorsTheGrey
10-07-2018, 02:24 AM
I mean... it was his daughters wedding. He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

He was a yes. She was a no. They agreed to pair their votes together and cancel each other out. The calculus remains the same:

98 total votes and 50-48 vs. 100 total votes and 51-49.

If a vote flips in the 98 scenario he gets to stay at his daughters wedding and not worry about it but not the 100. If 2 votes flip it's irrelevant the nominee is defeated in either scenario.

Pence breaks ties regardless of its 50-50 or 49-49.

I get that...but that’s NOT MY POINT...what if others Senators had weddings to attend to also...or funerals...or what not...would it be acceptable for them to “ditch class” as well...? Yeah, I know it’s an isolated item but it is irritating.

elysiantraveller
10-07-2018, 02:32 AM
I get that...but that’s NOT MY POINT...what if others Senators had weddings to attend to also...or funerals...or what not...would it be acceptable for them to “ditch class” as well...? Yeah, I know it’s an isolated item but it is irritating.

The United States Congress isn't a super adherent to Robert's rules so I'm not sure exactly how it would work. I'm sure there is some sort of quorum but...

It doesn't really matter. The whole thing came down to four or five votes anyway. In theory all the firm nays and yays could have paired up. Signed a joining agreement to vote present and then gone fishing.

The end result is the same.

woodtoo
10-07-2018, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=elysiantraveller;2380919] He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

How long till your done with the new word "Boofing" its shallow.

But hey, kids will be kids.:D

davew
10-07-2018, 09:02 AM

must be 4 options if include 'not present'

barahona44
10-07-2018, 09:33 AM
The Senate and the Supreme Court don't usually meet on weekends so I think Daines probably had this ridiculous idea that it would be OK to attend his daughter's wedding.

How about McConnell postponing the vote until Monday or even late Sunday?He didn't have a problem going a whole year without a judge.One day shouldn't make any difference.That Addison is such a nervous Nellie.

I just hope Daines doesn't have to pay a political price as Gomer Pyle doesn't like having his power challenged even if the outcome is positive.

barahona44
10-07-2018, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=elysiantraveller;2380919] He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

Better watch it or Judge Kav won't invite a wet blanket like you to his next kegger.

MutuelClerk
10-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Dump them all.

Except you guys LOVE these two parties.

Enjoy.

Tom
10-07-2018, 11:07 AM
The Senate and the Supreme Court don't usually meet on weekends so I think Daines probably had this ridiculous idea that it would be OK to attend his daughter's wedding.

How about McConnell postponing the vote until Monday or even late Sunday?He didn't have a problem going a whole year without a judge.One day shouldn't make any difference.That Addison is such a nervous Nellie.

I just hope Daines doesn't have to pay a political price as Gomer Pyle doesn't like having his power challenged even if the outcome is positive.

Voting on Saturday puts K on the bench when court opens on Tuesday.

Monday is a holiday.

Lots of people work weekends.
Suck to have an important job.

But see, he worked it out on his own.
Now he, too, can boof some ski's!

Tom
10-07-2018, 11:08 AM
[quote=woodtoo;2380939]

Better watch it or Judge Kav won't invite a wet blanket like you to his next kegger.

I think K will be throwing some wet blankets on some dem parties.:lol:

iwearpurple
10-07-2018, 11:32 AM
When Obama was a senator in Illinois, he frequently voted "present".

Tom
10-07-2018, 11:49 AM
He had to, to get his participation trophy.:lol:

elysiantraveller
10-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Boofing is not new.

That's why it was funny to listen to someone blatantly lie under oath.

My fraternity days are much closer in the rearview mirror than most on here. He will always be Bart O'Kavanagh to me...
;)

HalvOnHorseracing
10-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Right after Special K was sworn in I thought I heard this song in the distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZObXQe1lqI

woodtoo
10-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Boofing is not new.

That's why it was funny to listen to someone blatantly lie under oath.

My fraternity days are much closer in the rearview mirror than most on here. He will always be Bart O'Kavanagh to me...
;)

Do you mean boffing?

elysiantraveller
10-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Do you mean boffing?

Boofing is the word...

And the bird is the word.

Tom
10-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Boofing is the word...

And the bird is the word.

papa ooh mau mau!

Clydepuckett
10-07-2018, 10:10 PM
The solid was done for Manchin, the only Dem to vote yea. If she voted no it's a jump ball at 49 and his vote was the decider. She let him off the hook for his yea vote for his constituents.....

No tie was possible at 99 votes. Manchin is glad this is over.

elysiantraveller
10-08-2018, 01:00 AM
The solid was done for Manchin, the only Dem to vote yea. If she voted no it's a jump ball at 49 and his vote was the decider. She let him off the hook for his yea vote for his constituents.....

No tie was possible at 99 votes. Manchin is glad this is over.

There wouldn't have been 99 votes. Daines would have just flown back and voted. Mitch has the power to hold the vote open.

Tom
10-08-2018, 10:05 AM
100-0 or 50-48.....makes no difference.
Except to Dan, who has his own constitution.

mostpost
10-08-2018, 01:00 PM

I was wondering about that. I appreciate the explanation .

mostpost
10-08-2018, 01:13 PM

What a jerk. I’m glad I am not your daughter (obviously impossible).Daines presence made zero difference in the result. Clearly hue and Murkowski worked this out ahead of time and I commend her for her willingness to do so. I also think it had nothing to do with any political calculation.

elysiantraveller
10-08-2018, 01:20 PM
What a jerk. I’m glad I am not your daughter (obviously impossible).Daines presence made zero difference in the result. Clearly hue and Murkowski worked this out ahead of time and I commend her for her willingness to do so. I also think it had nothing to do with any political calculation.

Yeah its just doing someone a solid.

If you and your spouse are going to vote the exact opposite way on a ballot... couldn't you two just stay home instead and see what's on TV?

Similar logic.

reckless
10-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Yes, what Lay Down Lisa Mukowski did by voting 'present' was done simply as a courtesy to Daines and probably to save some face for McConnell too.

He probably tried to lean on her strong simply to show GOP solidarity. 50-48 looks better but no one will remember this vote in time. Anyway, who really knows what these politicians think, or do and/or for what reason?

I do know that Lisa is an idiot and has been her whole life. Talk about White Priviledge? Her daddy ran the Alaska GOP and she'd be a bartender in a Moose Lodge if it wasn't for Daddy, that's how dumb she is.

Did anyone forget when she originally said she might not support Kavanaugh... she said it was because the Senate's responsibility was 'advice and consent' -- please, Lisa, please. Get the self-serving political phrases right next time.

elysiantraveller
10-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Yes, what Lay Down Lisa Mukowski did by voting 'present' was done simply as a courtesy to Daines and probably to save some face for McConnell too.

He probably tried to lean on her strong simply to show GOP solidarity. 50-48 looks better but no one will remember this vote in time. Anyway, who really knows what these politicians think, or do and/or for what reason?

I do know that Lisa is an idiot and has been her whole life. Talk about White Priviledge? Her daddy ran the Alaska GOP and she'd be a bartender in a Moose Lodge if it wasn't for Daddy, that's how dumb she is.

Did anyone forget when she originally said she might not support Kavanaugh... she said it was because the Senate's responsibility was 'advice and consent' -- please, Lisa, please. Get the self-serving political phrases right next time.

^^^

Doesn't understand politics in Alaska.

Or... really politics for that matter but... especially Alaska.

mostpost
10-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Yeah its just doing someone a solid.

If you and your spouse are going to vote the exact opposite way on a ballot... couldn't you two just stay home instead and see what's on TV?

Similar logic.

If I had a wife, she would vote exactly the way I told her to. Just like all good wives. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just to clarify: The reason it would be impossible for me to be Vigors the Greys
daughter is that I am of the male gender. both physically and by preference.

woodtoo
10-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Glad you can identify though.

reckless
10-08-2018, 01:56 PM
^^^

Doesn't understand politics in Alaska.

Or... really politics for that matter but... especially Alaska.

You, who has gotten everything wrong about everything political since at least the summer of 2015, say I don't understand politics in Alaska?

I forgot more about about politics than you think you'll ever know.

Lisa would be a bartender if her late daddy didn't run the GOP in Alaska. He was a long-term corrupt US Senator, and people could actually blame him for the rise of Sarah Palin. She became governor by running against the corrupt Mukowski Family.

You are not worth another red flag but I'll risk it -- you could very well be the dumbest person in the history of Social Media. Congratulations child.

Once more you are wrong. Your streak of getting things wrong remains consistent, I'll give you that: 100 per cent.

elysiantraveller
10-08-2018, 02:00 PM
You, who has gotten everything wrong about everything political since at least the summer of 2015, say I don't understand politics in Alaska?

I forgot more about about politics than you think you'll ever know.

Lisa would be a bartender if her late daddy didn't run the GOP in Alaska. He was a long-term corrupt US Senator, and people could actually blame him for the rise of Sarah Palin. She became governor by running against the corrupt Mukowski Family.

You are not worth another red flag but I'll risk it -- you could very well be the dumbest person in the history of Social Media. Congratulations child.

Once more you are wrong. Your streak of getting things wrong remains consistent, I'll give you that: 100 per cent.

Take a look at the 2010 and 2016 Alaska Senate races and get back to me on how she voted the way she did...

She lost 25%+ to a candidate running to the right of her in both cycles.

She voted her constituents.

I'd stop forgetting stuff about politics if I was you...

https://media.tenor.com/images/8b72ff2c6b78aff351dd5108c256483c/tenor.gif

reckless
10-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Take a look at the 2010 and 2016 Alaska Senate races and get back to me on how she voted the way she did...

She lost 25%+ to a candidate running to the right of her in both cycles.

She voted her constituents.

I'd stop forgetting stuff about politics if I was you...

https://media.tenor.com/images/8b72ff2c6b78aff351dd5108c256483c/tenor.gif

What are you talking about? You talk in circles. Learn how to write like an adult. It would also help if you used proper names, but that's asking too much I imagine.

You deny that Mukowsk became a senator because of her corrupt, yet powerful family? Or that Sarah Palin won the governorship by running against the corrupt Alaska GOP?

You are the one that has proved to us how little you know about politics, and every other subject you talk about.

HalvOnHorseracing
10-08-2018, 08:58 PM
I have a Frank Murkowski story.

I had dinner with Frank Murkowski and his wife Nancy - a very pleasant woman by the way - when Frank was the governor of Alaska. Lisa wasn't there. Anyway, I'm talking with Nancy and she says, "We don't live at the governor's house the state provides, but we have a lot of functions there. We only have a part time caretaker, and when we have official functions I have to go over to help get the place ready. I think we could use a full-time caretaker, maybe two. Frank doesn't want to spend the money. What do you think, Rich?"

I'm totally on the spot. I wind up telling Nancy, "I'm sure the governor would reconsider if you explained it to him."

Frank is talking with someone and has his back to her so he taps Frank on the shoulder and says, "Rich thinks we need more help at the governor's house too."

The governor gives me the death look. I smile and make myself as small as I can.

elysiantraveller
10-08-2018, 09:02 PM
What are you talking about? You talk in circles. Learn how to write like an adult. It would also help if you used proper names, but that's asking too much I imagine.

You deny that Mukowsk became a senator because of her corrupt, yet powerful family? Or that Sarah Palin won the governorship by running against the corrupt Alaska GOP?

You are the one that has proved to us how little you know about politics, and every other subject you talk about.

By this metric Trump became a corrupt real estate magnate due to dollars from daddy too... but i digress.

HalvOnHorseracing
10-08-2018, 09:09 PM

I watched the debate between Palin and her rivals for governor. I thought she kicked their butts.

I have a Palin story (two actually), but one story in a night is enough.