PDA

View Full Version : How is this even possible?

thaskalos
10-02-2018, 03:03 AM
Oakland A's slugger Khris Davis, who led the majors in home runs this year...has been able to accomplish something so shockingly improbable that it is virtually guaranteed to never be repeated by any other player in the entire history of the game. He has posted a batting average of exactly .247 in each of his last 4 years! ESPN had been following this story for the last several weeks of the season, wondering if Davis would be able to repeat this feat yet again this year...and the fact that he was able to do it warrants mention in a separate thread here, IMO...if only as a reminder of what we are capable of when we really put our minds to it. :)

Marshall Bennett
10-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Far from greatness however. I wouldn't want to be a pitcher known for posting 8 wins in 4 consecutive seasons. Strange perhaps, but nothing to be proud about either. :)

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Far from greatness however. I wouldn't want to be a pitcher known for posting 8 wins in 4 consecutive seasons. Strange perhaps, but nothing to be proud about either. :)

Certainly not about greatness but still, in the vast scheme of the baseball universe, at least qualifies for an "oddity" award.

cj
10-02-2018, 10:16 AM
I believe the other Chris Davis set an all time record for the lowest batting average among qualifying players. He hit .168 while striking out 192 times in 470 official at bats, about 41% of the time. His average was a full 11 points lower than the previous worst.

For this season, Davis was paid the princely sum of $21,118,782. The O's are on the hook for the same amount for FOUR MORE YEARS!

HalvOnHorseracing
10-02-2018, 12:32 PM
I believe the other Chris Davis set an all time record for the lowest batting average among qualifying players. He hit .168 while striking out 192 times in 470 official at bats, about 41% of the time. His average was a full 11 points lower than the previous worst.

For this season, Davis was paid the princely sum of $21,118,782. The O's are on the hook for the same amount for FOUR MORE YEARS!

I could have been a crappy hitter for a lot less.

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2018, 01:16 PM

Wow.

Could there be a new Mendoza Line coming?

JustRalph
10-02-2018, 01:22 PM

This deal is worse than the Darvish deal. I thought he might turn it around......but he plain sucks anymore. Never seen anything like it.

Marshall Bennett
10-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Davis has always been an all or nothing hitter. Dave Kingman comes to mind also. He hit some monster home runs but spent good part of his career striking out. Davis, playing for the "nothing" Orioles probably doesn't help his confidence any. At least he's a wealthy bad record holder.

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Davis has always been an all or nothing hitter. Dave Kingman comes to mind also. He hit some monster home runs but spent good part of his career striking out. Davis, playing for the "nothing" Orioles probably doesn't help his confidence any. At least he's a wealthy bad record holder.

At first, I didn't think the comparison was fair to Kingman. .168 is an absolutely abysmal average.

But when I looked up there stats, was surprised at how similar they really were.

Valuist
10-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Davis really has prodigious power. Under 6 feet in height, under 200 pounds, he generates as much torque as anyone. Reminds me a bit of George Foster in the late 70s.

mostpost
10-02-2018, 02:56 PM

I have posted 0 wins in 77 consecutive seasons. Hall of Fame, here I come.

ElKabong
10-02-2018, 03:39 PM
K Davis may be the all time Ranger killer. Seems like every series vs Texas he hits a couple of bombs and drives in ten or more.

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Davis really has prodigious power. Under 6 feet in height, under 200 pounds, he generates as much torque as anyone. Reminds me a bit of George Foster in the late 70s.

Or Kirby Pucket? Jimmy Wynn?

barahona44
10-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Or Kirby Pucket? Jimmy Wynn?

Mel Ott 5'9" 170 lbs. 511 HR's

In regards to Chris Davis and his non-stop striking out,one baseball theory is that there is only one type of "good out" and that's an out that advances a runner.Otherwise, all other outs are created equal, in fact a slugger(who are often slow of foot) putting the ball in play may result in double plays or having the lead runner,who may be a better base runner, forced out at another base ,which are both worse than a K.

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Mel Ott 5'9" 170 lbs. 511 HR's

Finally, someone who is older than me!

:ThmbUp:

Ocala Mike
10-02-2018, 06:27 PM
I have posted 0 wins in 77 consecutive seasons. Hall of Fame, here I come.

In college, playing against St. John's, I once batted against a future major leaguer, Larry Bearnarth. I struck out on 3 pitches, none of which I saw, but all of which sounded very good hitting the catcher's mitt!

kingfin66
10-03-2018, 10:32 PM
In college, playing against St. John's, I once batted against a future major leaguer, Larry Bearnarth. I struck out on 3 pitches, none of which I saw, but all of which sounded very good hitting the catcher's mitt!

When I attended umpire school, I batted against former (then current) MLB pitcher Bob Sebra. I had the same fate as you! :lol:

cj
10-04-2018, 01:14 AM
I recently had a guy that played tennis at Florida State, graduated two years ago, hit me his best serves. He told me had hit 140 on the radar gun before. Keep in mind the guy is 6'7. Still, I kind of snickered. I figured he was exaggerating.

To keep this short, lets just say he wasn't. When he hit down the tee, I didn't even flinch before I'd hear it hit the back wall. I mean there was absolutely zero chance of even getting a racket on it. I actually got a couple back when they were I could reach them. But by got them back, I mean they made it over the net and landed in play, but they were feeble returns that had no chance of winning me a point.

kingfin66
10-04-2018, 05:19 PM
It is pretty amazing just how good professional athletes really are. On the flip side of striking out against a MLBer, it has also often astounded me how batters can get around on serious heat. Having top-level fast twitch muscles it not enough. You have to have the strength and the hand/eye coordination to go with it.

ultracapper
10-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Just watching on the tube, it looks like he swings a pretty heavy bat for these days. Probably no more than 36 ounces, but when the sluggers of the day are using 33 ounce bats, it makes his seem like Dick Allen.