PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita graphics

SG4
09-30-2018, 10:57 PM
Last 2 days the track feed & TVG broadcast has only shown the horse #'s & not their odds during the running of SA races. Is this a glitch that will be fixed soon, or is this a way to hide the in-race movement of odds & removing the negative clamor around it?

Winner of today's first was 3-1 when the odds were last shown on TVG, no idea he went down to 9-5 until results were posted, never a good look.

GMB@BP
09-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Last 2 days the track feed & TVG broadcast has only shown the horse #'s & not their odds during the running of SA races. Is this a glitch that will be fixed soon, or is this a way to hide the in-race movement of odds & removing the negative clamor around it?

Winner of today's first was 3-1 when the odds were last shown on TVG, no idea he went down to 9-5 until results were posted, never a good look.

something like that happening is intentional, and your likely right about the reasoning.

VigorsTheGrey
09-30-2018, 11:13 PM
And maybe to hinder saavy odds scouts offtrack from piling on last second as well...?

Dave Schwartz
09-30-2018, 11:27 PM
something like that happening is intentional, and your likely right about the reasoning.

Like the comments being left out of charts.

When will racing learn that this causes a loss of integrity points with people?

jay68802
09-30-2018, 11:48 PM
This obviously will stop the customer from complaining about odds dropping during the race!:rolleyes:

cj
10-01-2018, 12:19 AM
They probably don't think it is a big deal, but it was the very first thing I noticed when watching R1 from Santa Anita on Friday.

ReplayRandall
10-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Let's see if Golden Gate or Gulfstream starts doing this.....Watch those Stronach tracks....

ubercapper
10-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Like the comments being left out of charts.

When will racing learn that this causes a loss of integrity points with people?

If the reference to comments was about the story a month or so back, that statement had no factual basis. There are no instructions to leave comments out of a chart if those comments are based on something that happened in a race.

If you have a specific example of a comment left out of a chart (not the subjective wording of a comment) please let me know either in a forum or by PM.

Thanks

linrom1
10-01-2018, 10:59 AM
TVG is not a good wagering platform. As slow as wagers are compiled at the tote, TVG delays even those. The amount of time it takes for TVG to update their odds is ENORMOUS-it's even slower than the track video they show.

the little guy
10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Keeneland has been taking down the odds on their simulcast feed at least a minute before post, they don't show them during the race, and then not putting them back up until well after the race for years. Surely I am not the only one that notices this.

VigorsTheGrey
10-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Keeneland has been taking down the odds on their simulcast feed at least a minute before post, they don't show them during the race, and then not putting them back up until well after the race for years. Surely I am not the only one that notices this.

This is really bad. So now a better doesn't know if his selection gets hammered down beyond his acceptable line...? Or that smart money can pile on late without public knowledge...?

the little guy
10-01-2018, 12:27 PM
This is really bad. So now a better doesn't know if his selection gets hammered down beyond his acceptable line...? Or that smart money can pile on late without public knowledge...?

Bettor.

Jeff P
10-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Over the summer, towards the end of their meet, I noticed Prairie Meadows had begun displaying banner ads for local businesses as part of their track signal.

Trouble was - they were doing it in such a way that the banner ad itself was blocking the view of the horses in the paddock, post parades, and pre-race warmups.

Imo, this is not ok.

Now it appears Woodbine has started doing the same thing. In Woodbine's case the banner ad this past weekend was for bottled water.

Before anyone asks --

Imo, Woodbine is doing it in such a way that ad itself is blocking the view of the horses in the paddock, post parades, and pre-race warmups.

I've got nothing against tracks earning some extra ad revenue.

BUT --

If you as a track are going to do this:

You need to redesign your on screen graphics so as to maximize screen real estate devoted to display of the horses -- and position any ads you display as part of your on screen graphics so as not to block the view of the horses in the paddock, post parades, and pre-race warmups.

Imo, the on screen graphics of most track signals already make it difficult enough for bettors to see individual horses they are interested in.

Adding banner ads to on screen graphics as they exist right now just makes a track signal less playable.

-jp

Tom
10-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Knowingly hiding the oddw is unacceptable.
No matter what stupid excuses the tracks will offer up.
They DID it not they DON'T.

WHY?

dilanesp
10-01-2018, 04:49 PM
With our takeout, we figure that all the horses are underlays and the bettors don't want it rubbed in their faces.

Andy Asaro
10-01-2018, 05:28 PM
My guess and I could be wrong is that they stopped using trakus to time races and stopped the chicklets since they were often wrong. A few years ago it was $800 per day for trakus. Trakus sucks.

Nitro
10-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Perhaps you should rely on a decent tote feed rather than whatever it is you’re viewing.
However, keep in mind that even the best last minute update can be 60 seconds after the gate opens.

How long does it take to cover a typical ½ mile in any race? There’s certainly no mystery as to why the tote changes during the course of any race that’s underway.

Tom
10-01-2018, 06:59 PM
That is like a dairy replying to complaints from its customers that the milk is sour "Milk needs to remain at 38 degrees to stay fresh." and ignore the real facts.

Nitro
10-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Wow! That’s an ingenious evaluation! Especially since most customers realize that the milk will go sour at 38 degrees over a specific period of time no matter what, because it obviously has a limited shelf life.
And that’s a fact!

Tom
10-02-2018, 10:48 AM
The point being, racing KNOWS why we have late odds changes and will not spend the money to make the improvements to get rid of the problem.

VigorsTheGrey
10-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Bettor.

Punter.

bobphilo
10-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Last minute odds changes can be of great importance for someone using the tote-board and is looking for late betting action as an indicator.
I think this is just one example of how the racing media hides information.

I personally am infuriated when the coverage immediately stops the instant there is any kind of incident. I get this is a PR move to prevent the public seeing what is sometimes the ugly side of the sport, but I want to know how serious this is and whether or not the horses or riders are hurt or injured. It can take what seems like forever for the racecasters to disclose what happened and the results.
You don't see this to the same extreme extent in other sports, unless something particularly gory happens in which case it is justified as a simple matter of taste. To me this sends a message that racing is making it far too obvious in hiding what can happen in the sport and this strategy can actually backfire when people imagine the worst has happened.

elhelmete
10-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Last minute odds changes can be of great importance for someone using the tote-board and is looking for late betting action as an indicator.

If I'm that kind of tote player I'm not going to rely on the track graphics feed on a TV channel for my info, no?

I personally am infuriated when the coverage immediately stops the instant there is any kind of incident. I get this is a PR move to prevent the public seeing what is sometimes the ugly side of the sport, but I want to know how serious this is and whether or not the horses or riders are hurt or injured. It can take what seems like forever for the racecasters to disclose what happened and the results.
You don't see this to the same extreme extent in other sports, unless something particularly gory happens in which case it is justified as a simple matter of taste. To me this sends a message that racing is making it far too obvious in hiding what can happen in the sport and this strategy can actually backfire when people imagine the worst has happened.

I've only known them to cut away from coverage when it IS gory like in other sports. The only exception I can think of is when a horse is reluctant to load and 'they' don't want to show the assistant starters doing their usual tricks (which in light of some recent events might be a good thing).

Nitro
10-02-2018, 08:08 PM
The point being, racing KNOWS why we have late odds changes and will not spend the money to make the improvements to get rid of the problem.Well, I certainly agree with that perspective! I recall quite a few PA threads that offered some decent common sense approaches to this issue. It seems that common sense often eludes the illustrious horse racing management.

As an exclusive tote follower, my only concerns regarding late money is how it will impact the odds in terms of betting value. Fortunately when playing tracks with the larger betting pools these changes are generally not as dramatic (particularly Hong Kong). As far as indicators (to establish contenders) go I focus on primarily on the betting activities at 3 intervals prior to post. I’m not looking at the odds (they reflect only 1 pool). I’m viewing the analyzed comparison of all the betting pools and how they affect each entry in relation to the totals of all the pools combined.
I believe that very often early money can be just as significant as late money. Unfortunately (or fortunately), it doesn’t always show up as just an obvious change in the odds.

If I'm that kind of tote player I'm not going to rely on the track graphics feed on a TV channel for my info, no?ABSOLUTELY!

SG4
10-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Odds were back during running of the races yesterday, hopefully that was just a glitch over the weekend

Tom
10-05-2018, 04:45 PM
KEE is showing odds during the races, too.