PDA

View Full Version : guess Irad doesn't have a stopwatch in his head

dilanesp
09-29-2018, 06:00 PM
22 and change, 45 and change, 1:09 and change going 10 furlongs at Belmont?????

Mintano
09-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Anyone else notice the winner looked lame after the outrider let him go to jog back to the winners circle? Outrider quickly grabbed him again and they walked the rest of the way back...

cj
09-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Think that horse is pretty headstrong. He was outside the 3 though, probably could have just stayed on his flank. In any case Mendelssohn was the better horse of the two today so not sure it would have mattered.

dirty moose
09-29-2018, 06:10 PM
22 and change, 45 and change, 1:09 and change going 10 furlongs at Belmont?????

Can these jocks tell the difference between 22 and 24 seconds?

Afleet
09-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Anyone else notice the winner looked lame after the outrider let him go to jog back to the winners circle? Outrider quickly grabbed him again and they walked the rest of the way back...

he has been vanned off before. They run the piss out of that horse

Afleet
09-29-2018, 07:28 PM

that would be horrible if he broke down in the BC classic

turfnsport
09-29-2018, 07:38 PM
Irad cant adapt during a race. He should have sat off Ryan under those circumstances. Doubt Violette moves on to the Classic.

bobphilo
09-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Think that horse is pretty headstrong. He was outside the 3 though, probably could have just stayed on his flank. In any case Mendelssohn was the better horse of the two today so not sure it would have mattered.

I think Moore tried to repeat his ride in the Travers where he hustled to the lead and then slowed. However, in the Travers Catholic Boy just tracked him and didn't try to pass him until the stretch. Stupid Ortiz had to increase the insane pace and dummy Moore chased close behind. With the top 4 finishers being in reverse order of finish at the pace calls, pace truly made the race. The pace and final figures should be very interesting.

bobphilo
09-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Can these jocks tell the difference between 22 and 24 seconds?

I sometimes wonder. I think that exercise riders have a better sense of pace (clock in their head) than the hot shot jockeys.

bobphilo
09-29-2018, 09:04 PM

Headstrong is right. Maybe the explanation is that we had 2 need the lead speed types in a speed duel, which stretched out over 10 furlongs can be deadly.

Augenj
09-29-2018, 09:05 PM
I sometimes wonder. I think that exercise riders have a better sense of pace (clock in their head) than the hot shot jockeys.
Bingo :ThmbUp:

bobphilo
09-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Irad cant adapt during a race. He should have sat off Ryan under those circumstances. Doubt Violette moves on to the Classic.

He sure didn't show that quality today. Ideally he should have stayed well back off Mendelssohn, if he kept up that pace, like the top 2 finishers. But then, maybe he was just on a horse who will not be rated.

bobphilo
09-29-2018, 09:13 PM

However, Mendellsohn backed off the suicidal pace in the middle stages and got a better ride pace-wise.

GMB@BP
09-29-2018, 09:30 PM
However, Mendellsohn backed off the suicidal pace in the middle stages and got a better ride pace-wise.

he wasnt that far off it, at most like 2 lengths? I have not been Mendellsohns biggest fan but today he ran like a real race horse. If he is loose on the lead in the classic, given how weak the field is, wont shock me to see him in the thick of it down the stretch.

turfnsport
09-29-2018, 11:42 PM
Brown was not happy with Irad's ride on Robert Bruce too.

GMB@BP
09-30-2018, 12:01 AM

“I’m disappointed,” he said. “There was no pace in the race and my horse broke so well and then he ended up behind. I’m not sure why.”

Well, they grab and hold for Chad every race, not sure suddenly why this is an issue. sour grapes.

Tom
09-30-2018, 11:06 AM
That may be TWO things Irad doesn't have in his head......

Thomas Roulston
09-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I remember when the JC Gold Cup was 2 miles, and Shuvee beat the boys in it - twice!

Today's racing is so watered-down it isn't funny.

FantasticDan
09-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Not one of Collmus' finest moments - he called Discreet Lover, "Discreet Image" for the whole race (five times).. but at least got it right at the wire. :p

dilanesp
09-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Not one of Collmus' finest moments - he called Discreet Lover, "Discreet Image" for the whole race (five times).. but at least got it right at the wire. :p

This guy got it right though:

https://youtu.be/KkjMYlO1-k0

horses4courses
09-30-2018, 01:55 PM

I would second that.
The winner got away with dawdling fractions in front.
Irad sat way back on RB, then made a huge move on the far turn.
Left his horse with way too much to do running at a slow pace. :ThmbDown:

Robert Bruce is a nice horse.
He may be best at 10 furlongs on a firmer surface, though.

bobphilo
09-30-2018, 05:40 PM
he wasnt that far off it, at most like 2 lengths? I have not been Mendellsohns biggest fan but today he ran like a real race horse. If he is loose on the lead in the classic, given how weak the field is, wont shock me to see him in the thick of it down the stretch.

You have a point. The chart says 2 lengths back. Seemed like more watching the race. Mendelssohn is really coming to hand and cycling back to the form he showed when he ran freakishly well in the U.A.I. Derby. He will probably be sent for the lead in BC Classic and could even beat Accelerate and win if not pressed too hard early.

bobphilo
09-30-2018, 05:46 PM
I remember when the JC Gold Cup was 2 miles, and Shuvee beat the boys in it - twice!

Today's racing is so watered-down it isn't funny.

I was there as a kid when the great Kelso won it for the 5th straight year at 2 miles. The days of the iron horses.

bobphilo
09-30-2018, 06:00 PM

And the riders of Discrete Lover and Thunder Snow really got it right by laying well off that insane pace.

castaway01
09-30-2018, 08:01 PM
And the riders of Discrete Lover and Thunder Snow really got it right by laying well off that insane pace.

And Serling and LoDuca got it right by saying to use Discreet Lover, that there was no way the horse should be 45-1, and that he had a shot at a huge price.

Afleet
09-30-2018, 09:47 PM
he has been vanned off before. They run the piss out of that horse

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/breeders-cup/discreet-lover-placed-on-vets-list-for-further-evaluation-after-jockey-club-gold-cup/