PDA

View Full Version : Interesting photo shared on FB

Immortal6
09-26-2018, 11:07 AM
http://tinypic.com/r/sghgyd/9

Hope the pic works, trying to post from mobile.

Just thought it was interesting to think about all the racing greats that never would have been.

parlay
09-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Nassim Taleb wrote about how most people under estimate the level of luck involved in many outcomes. Clearly we would have still had great horses, but the gene pool would have been dramatically different. E.P Taylor might have just been another rich Canadian.

HalvOnHorseracing
09-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Nassim Taleb wrote about how most people under estimate the level of luck involved in many outcomes. Clearly we would have still had great horses, but the gene pool would have been dramatically different. E.P Taylor might have just been another rich Canadian.

I'm not sure about luck. More serendipity I'd say.

elhelmete
09-26-2018, 12:40 PM
The Beatles may never have happened.

chiguy
09-26-2018, 04:05 PM
My mom, still kicking, was bombed by Hitler. Two doors down suffered a direct hit killing the entire family. Crazy to think that the wind direction and speed on a random night in London 60+ years ago might have determined so much. When we were kids we visited a couple of times back to her childhood home and played in the bomb shelter dug into the backyard. Crazy to think it was not that long ago. Thanks for that post, it is very interesting.

Afleet
09-26-2018, 10:49 PM
My mom, still kicking, was bombed by Hitler. Two doors down suffered a direct hit killing the entire family. Crazy to think that the wind direction and speed on a random night in London 60+ years ago might have determined so much. When we were kids we visited a couple of times back to her childhood home and played in the bomb shelter dug into the backyard. Crazy to think it was not that long ago. Thanks for that post, it is very interesting.

good story!