PDA

View Full Version : Les Hulet FL Hall of Famer Dies

Tom
09-26-2018, 09:56 AM
I was wondering why Mike Ferraro was on with Steve Byk today.
Stunned to hear the reason.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2018/09/25/les-hulet-jockey-passes-away-hulet-finger-lakes-jockey-finger-lakes-race-track/1421098002/

Les was THE man back in the day.
He rode Fio Rio to back to back wind in the Whitney and then the Michigan Mile.

Prayers to his family and friends.
He was a local icon.

The one thing you heard more than anything else at FL was
"Who's Hulet ridin' in the next?" :rip:

Ocala Mike
09-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Sad news, indeed. Back in the day, NY OTB would take Finger Lakes every Tuesday, but you could only bet quinellas as I recall. I always looked to see who Hulet was riding and, yes, I remember when Fio Rito shipped in to win those big races at the Spa. RIP.

bello
09-26-2018, 11:29 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/02/sports/10-1-fio-rito-scores-upset-in-whitney.html

RIP Les. I cannot even fathom how often I rooted you home in your carreer both live and at OTB.

I still remember the Spa win at Saratoga like it was yesterday. I had just moved back to Queens from the Rochester area and I was watching Fio Rito win in my dads living room with my now deceased father and he asked me why I was going nuts. Of course it was because I was rooting for one of my favorite jocks and horses of all time.

Will never forget Les' patented shoulder whipping down the lane.

Tom
09-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I had forgotten about that.
I remember watching him and yelling "What the HELL are doing???"
The guy next to me said "Winning!" :blush:

FantasticDan
09-29-2018, 10:40 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/02/sports/10-1-fio-rito-scores-upset-in-whitney.html

That article is amazing :D

Excerpt:

To win today, Fio Rito had to overcome more than the disdain of the horsey set, which considers New York-breds akin to donkeys. Even before Fio Rito delayed the start of the Whitney by dragging an assistant starter through the stall doors, he barely made it to the gate.

Two days ago, it was less than even-money that Fio Rito would start today. Wednesday night, he was sent here by van from Finger Lakes Race Track and was bedded down in Barn 36. But there was a filly in the next stall who perked his eager libido and he caused such a ruckus he was moved to another stall. Fio Rito was so upset by this forced separation that he dug a hole in the bottom of the dirt floor, uncovering a rock and bruising his left front foot.

He galloped yesterday morning, and Ferraro said he was 50 percent better but just as likely to run at Monmouth next Tuesday as in the Whitney.

This morning, Raymond LeCesse, who owns Fio Rito, nine other statebreds and a 56-lane bowling alley, waited outside the stall impatiently waiting for Ferraro and a veterinarian to make a final decision.

''He always does this to me,'' LeCesse said of Ferraro. ''Whenever we take a plane I tell him the flight's an hour later than it really is and he still barely makes it.''

Why doesn't Fio Rito have a stakes named after him at FL?

Tom
09-29-2018, 10:47 AM
The crown at FL went absolutely BONKERS at about the 1/8th pole. Video doesn't show it, but he broke through the gate and was put back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GpKxFk7AH0

Ocala Mike
09-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Today's 6th race at Belmont Park is named the Les Hulet.

Tom
09-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Today's 6th race at Belmont Park is named the Les Hulet.

COOL!! :lol:
Tip o' the hat to NYRA for such a quick tribute!

As for FL, I think races need to be named for

Fio Rito
Mountain Man
Sagely
Lordofthemountain

Probably the four most favorite horses in the track's history.

I have to send them a letter and ask about this.

Zman179
09-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Sad news, indeed. Back in the day, NY OTB would take Finger Lakes every Tuesday, but you could only bet quinellas as I recall. I always looked to see who Hulet was riding and, yes, I remember when Fio Rito shipped in to win those big races at the Spa. RIP.

Yup. Quinellas on every race except the 2nd which had a Triple. Don’t know why that quirky downstate rule was in effect.

But what I do remember was it was Les Hulet and Kevin Whitley all day long with Ross Morton calling the races. Finger Lakes was always a great place to bet, even though they had $2500 and $3500 claimers.

Ocala Mike
09-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Yep - Hulet and Whitley. They were like Cordero and Velazquez downstate.

Tom
09-29-2018, 02:47 PM
The had $1500 claimers when I started betting them.
Kevin Whitely....yes, the lead jock for a long time.