PDA

View Full Version : Here's another doozy.....

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=2&u=/ap/20040911/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

Doncha just love how they throw this paragraph in at the end of this article, pretty much from out of nowhere:

Following the Sept. 11 events, Bush planned to spent [sic]the weekend at Camp David, Md. Counting his stays at his Texas ranch and his family's home in Maine, he has not spent a full day in the capital since Aug. 2.

By the way Ms. Jennifer Loven, the word you were looking for was SPEND, not SPENT. More time proofreading, less time politicizing would be nice...

Ummmm...let's see. There's a little something called a presidential election going on, and the Convention was in August in NYC.....

How about giving us a little comparison to other Presidents who have been running for reelection during the month of August. How often were they in the Capital?

cj
09-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Good point on the article PA, but not on the grammar. Spent is used properly in that sentence.

Tom
09-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Whatever airplane the president is on is Airforce One.
In essence, wherever he is, be it DC, Camp David,Starbucks on Union Avenue, he is in the command center. The implication that he was on vacation, a MM technique, is absurd. Her sentence, while the truth, was not the whole truth. They call it literary license. I call is BS.

ElKabong
09-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Actually, PA's correct. Spend is the proper word to use.

I'm horrible at composition, myself....But, PA does have it correct.

Bush planned to spend the weekend at...

Bush planned to spent the weekend at....

I'll put $2 on "spend", please. :)

chickenhead
09-11-2004, 12:20 PM
ahh...I think CJ like me was looking at the second sentence and wondering what PA was talking about....I missed the "spent" in the first sentence, I'm guessing CJ did too.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Thus the [sic] that I threw in there....

chickenhead
09-11-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm still spenting time with my morning cup of joe, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

JustMissed
09-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Hey, maybe CJ is the one that forged the air guard letters?

JM;)

DJofSD
09-11-2004, 01:55 PM
planned to spend - future tense

had spent - past tense

DJofSD

Buckeye
09-11-2004, 03:32 PM
spend - present
spent - past
had spent not a full day since August 2nd - pluperfect

Shouldn't capital be Capital?

Tee
09-11-2004, 04:14 PM
& that concludes the PaceAdvantage grammer lesson for today:D

DJofSD
09-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Oh no we're not.

We haven't talked about future perfect, infinitives, transitive and intransitive verb forms. We're just getting started!

DJofSD

Tom
09-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Anyone familiar with participles? Especially the hanging ones.
Anything to do with paper ballots?

doophus
09-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Anyone familiar with participles? Especially the hanging ones.
Anything to do with paper ballots? That should be participals, eh?

cj
09-11-2004, 09:25 PM
I actually read the article, not the quote, and thought you meant the last one. My bad :(.

NoDayJob
09-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Good point on the article PA, but not on the grammar. Spent is used properly in that sentence.

:D CORECTOMUNDO [sic]! :D

Adverb

sic

1. thus; thus written

Used in quoted material (usually between brackets, "[]") to indicate that a previous phrase or word was quoted as it was in the source, despite the fact that it contains an error, often a grammatical error. Sic is also used following a word or phrase that contains an intentional error.

Example

There is a software package for checking the spelling of URL's sent to the Apache webserver whose name is intentionally humorously mispelled [sic]. The manual sometimes refers to it as "mod_speling (sic)" to emphasize there is no mistake in the documentation.

NDJ

Tom
09-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by doophus
That should be participals, eh?

I pay good money for spell checker.
Not worrying about spelling leaves that much more open room in my head for processing complex ideas and concepts. I like to multi-task mentally. You would be amazed what goes on in my head! :D

Buckeye
09-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Just Ralph, greatly appreciated! - declarative

JustRalph
09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye
Just Ralph, greatly appreciated! - declarative

You are welcome.........

spelling.......what a concept.......

Equineer
09-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Imagine if a widely published article had read,Following the Sept. 11 events, Bush had planned to spend the weekend at Camp David, Md.That wording probably would have inspired yet another ridiculous campaign-season squabble about whether-or-not Bush knew in advance about 9/11!