PDA

View Full Version : Patriots defense

Valuist
09-10-2004, 03:30 PM
I came away very unimpressed by New England's defense last night, just as I did in the Super Bowl last winter. Delhomme burned them for 323 yards 3 TDs 0 ints in the Super Bowl and Indy hung up 28 first downs and 446 total yards last night; 204 rushing and 242 threw the air. True, Indy has a high power offense but under wet and windy conditions, it was not an effort representative of a top defense. Indy lost for one reason: 3 red zone turnovers. That and a missed block which made a likely chip shot FG attempt turn into a long attempt. The Patriots have to feel very fortunate to come away with a win but continued play like that on the defensive side will certainly result in some losses.

cj
09-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Turnovers are part of defense, and they often are HUGE for New England. Giving up 24 to possibly the best offense in football is nothing to be ashamed of at this point in the season.

New England just seems to find a way to win. All that said, I don't think they will repeat. I can recall many teams coming back strong in the first game after winning the Super Bowl, only to falter as the season went on. Remember how good Tampa looked opening week last year?

Valuist
09-10-2004, 04:05 PM
True about Tampa last year. But the 24 pts allowed is a mirage. 3 red zone turnovers and Indy was deep into NE territory before the sack caused the FG to no longer become a chip shot. Phil Steele had the turnovers=turnaround theory and it is very true in football. Teams who get the bounces one year, the deflected passes, the fumble that bounces to them, usually don't the next year. NE is better balanced offensively w/the addition of Dillon but I'm going to play them over until they prove otherwise.

SAL
09-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't know.... The new rule change is going to favor the offense this year. That rule change hurt New England a lot, because their db's are very physical. That being said, I agree that they will have to step it up on defense in order to repeat.

Indy was helped by some questionable calls last night as well, so it kinda balanced out.

Dan Montilion
09-10-2004, 05:18 PM
They can always fall back on "the tuck" rule.

Dan Montilion