PDA

View Full Version : Inequality of Jockey Salaries

Zman179
09-10-2018, 05:02 PM
https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/how-do-so-many-jockeys-survive-earnings-so-little/

Tom
09-10-2018, 06:58 PM
A damn lot of jockeys should be charged for the ride on the horse.

whisperlunch
09-10-2018, 10:43 PM
This is an interesting article.
I have no idea how the jocks riding at the smaller circuits can make ends meet unless they cheat ? Even at gulfstream during the summer we just had the maragh issue. Gulfstream summer is old Calder guys. They are so shady.

Maybe Vic who has been an agent can add his opinion

GMB@BP
09-10-2018, 11:02 PM
I think the top riders need to start paying their fair share, maybe a cap at like 60% of their income and then the rest can go to the jockeys who are less fortunate.

v j stauffer
09-11-2018, 12:04 AM
This is an interesting article.
I have no idea how the jocks riding at the smaller circuits can make ends meet unless they cheat ? Even at gulfstream during the summer we just had the maragh issue. Gulfstream summer is old Calder guys. They are so shady.

Maybe Vic who has been an agent can add his opinion

Just because someone works at Target instead of Saks doesn't mean their only option is to become a criminal.

Like in any other walk of life they have spouses who contribute. They can work more than one job.

They do what's needed to feed their families.

Just people like the rest of us.

v j stauffer
09-11-2018, 12:05 AM
I think the top riders need to start paying their fair share, maybe a cap at like 60% of their income and then the rest can go to the jockeys who are less fortunate.

Good luck with that

JustRalph
09-11-2018, 12:20 AM

R U Freaking crazy?

Pay taxes then give 40% of your income away.........you are a hoot:lol:

GMB@BP
09-11-2018, 12:25 AM
R U Freaking crazy?

Pay taxes then give 40% of your income away.........you are a hoot:lol:

Some of these guys make a lot of money, how much do they really need? While the people who are working hard at the bottom just dont get a real sustainable income. We need to do something, where is HANA on this one.

Inner Dirt
09-11-2018, 12:33 AM

Less fortunate? I would think the only time I would refer to a jockey as "less fortunate" is if he or she had the bad luck of being often injured through no fault of there own. Like any athlete I am pretty sure if they are good at their craft, responsible and dedicated they will find their way to earn a good living.
I am pretty sure jockeys that have spent decades riding nothing but 50-1 shots at 3rd rate tracks are doing so because they are lacking in either skills, dedication or responsibility or all of the above.

I used to go to the harness races a lot during the late 70's through mid 80's
at HOL, LOS AL, and FPX. Some drivers were constantly bad, getting parked, boxed in, battling through a :58 flat opening half with pacers that back then went 2:04 for a mile,etc,etc. There was nothing "less fortunate" about them. They probably would not even be driving if they didn't train and own the horses.

Someone in the know may correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Inner Dirt
09-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Some of these guys make a lot of money, how much do they really need? While the people who are working hard at the bottom just dont get a real sustainable income. We need to do something, where is HANA on this one.

So should Aaron Rodgers have to distribute 40% of his income to the practice squad players in the NFL or just the ones on his team?

GMB@BP
09-11-2018, 12:42 AM
So should Aaron Rodgers have to distribute 40% of his income to the practice squad players in the NFL or just the ones on his team?

I think that would be fair. Solid thinking. Maybe he does, he seems very generous.

v j stauffer
09-11-2018, 01:51 AM
I think that would be fair. Solid thinking. Maybe he does, he seems very generous.

Troll alert. Troll alert. Danger Danger Will Rogers. Troll alert!

craigbraddick
09-11-2018, 02:09 AM
Troll alert. Troll alert. Danger Danger Will Rogers. Troll alert!

Will Rogers?

WP1981
09-11-2018, 02:15 AM

Apples and Oranges. Min practice squad salary is $5,700/wk.

clicknow
09-11-2018, 04:06 AM
A damn lot of jockeys should be charged for the ride on the horse.
I think the top riders need to start paying their fair share

IN a way, they are/they do. (compared to the non dangerous jobs most people do to earn a living).

Every time they climb aboard a thoroughbred, they risk injury including that which is called parapalegic-for-life, brain injury, etc.

They also have to live a much more disciplined lifestyle than most other workers, i.e. like most high end atheletes. Most of the people I talk to who are not into horse racing have no idea the level of fitness these people have to have, much higher than say, a basketball player.

Perhaps I am unusual in my respect for what these people do every day.

Zman179
09-11-2018, 07:22 AM

How much do they need? ALL OF IT! I certainly wouldn’t want to bust my butt for years, take risks along the way and work hard to get to the top only to give away a large portion of it. It’s mine, I bust my azz for it, HANDS OFF!!!:popcorn:

Big Peps
09-11-2018, 07:31 AM
It's a competitive market place, those who are best and in demand get paid more. It runs much like any other competitive market, leave it alone.

Should double A ballplayers get paid more or be supplemented by those in the major leagues. Not quite sure the real world operates like this.

Sounds like Bernie Sanders is taking over racing to me and I am a Vermonter still don't agree with the take here

I wanted to be a pro golfer couldn't get it done so I moved on.

Redboard
09-11-2018, 10:05 AM
People working at Walmart don't put their life on the line every time they go to work. In general, people who cheat, do so, because they need to make ends meet. Of course there are always exceptions.

The way to solve this problem, and about half the problems the "sport" has, is to have a national governing body that would set a minimum purse level for T-bred races, something like $100k.

Tom
09-11-2018, 10:27 AM
There go half the races in the country.
And half the tracks and riders.
Making the minimum $10K would be a disaster for a lot of tracks.

Maybe if one can't make enough to live on riding, another career would be in order.

Tom
09-11-2018, 10:29 AM
How much do they need? ALL OF IT! I certainly wouldn’t want to bust my butt for years, take risks along the way and work hard to get to the top only to give away a large portion of it. It’s mine, I bust my azz for it, HANDS OFF!!!:popcorn:

Yeah, the owner and trainer get a split of the million dollar purse and the only one who puts his life on the line riding is the jock, who gets hi pay capped.

turfnsport
09-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Just because someone works at Target instead of Saks doesn't mean their only option is to become a criminal.

As someone that was an owner of a retail chain, I can safely say that the employee theft % is likely much higher at Target than Saks. :D

linrom1
09-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Up there with the whales lobbying for higher rebates!

JustRalph
09-11-2018, 11:42 AM
The same goes on in the Airline industry.

Commuter pilots making 10 bucks an hour for “flight time only” should scare the shit out of you......

v j stauffer
09-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Will Rogers?

The "lost in space" guy.

Will Robinson?

Something like that.

Same thing only different.

thaskalos
09-11-2018, 02:35 PM
As someone that was an owner of a retail chain, I can safely say that the employee theft % is likely much higher at Target than Saks. :D

Which retail chain did you own...TARGET, or SAKS?

airford1
09-11-2018, 02:52 PM

At least give some to Colin Kaepernik, Cause he dont want to work,he just wants to beat on Dee drum all day.

clicknow
09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
There go half the races in the country.
And half the tracks and riders.
Making the minimum $10K would be a disaster for a lot of tracks.

Maybe if one can't make enough to live on riding, another career would be in order.

I guess you can say that about exercise riders and backside workers as well?

There are already so few people willing to work so hard for little money....some racing meets would have to be cancelled or cut back, based on inability to find such workers.

I'm certainly not in favor of people who sit in the comfort of their recliners in air conditioned homes who have never done any truly difficult outdoor physical labor in harsh conditions "deciding" how things should be.......

Not saying this is you, but I honestly see quite a lot of this on racing forums. There often seems to be a distinct lack of understanding of what the demands of jockeys, exercise riders, backside workers, etc. acutally ARE. Usually the people doing the most complaining wouldn't be able to "hack it" for 3 days, let alone a lifetime....and at any age.

Again, count me as one who truly respects the work these folks do. Always have felt that way, and always will. Esp. from the standpoint of "good honest hard work" being the backbone of the so-called American Work Ethic.

bobphilo
09-12-2018, 08:05 PM
People working at Walmart don't put their life on the line every time they go to work. In general, people who cheat, do so, because they need to make ends meet. Of course there are always exceptions.

The way to solve this problem, and about half the problems the "sport" has, is to have a national governing body that would set a minimum purse level for T-bred races, something like $100k.

I agree. Racing needs a national governing body for that as well as many other reasons.

Suff
09-13-2018, 08:40 PM

Could easily say Aaron does that now. All major sports leagues do income redistribution in the form of Salary Caps and Luxury Tax's. Each team also gets an even share of the TV revenue.

In 2017 the 0-16 Cleveland Browns got $255 million, the same as Green Bay and the Patriots. Just for showing up the Browns received a $255 Million dollar participation trophy. They also had lowest attendance in their history.

Sharing income for the common good is common.

Most backsides are safe havens for non-citizens. They're filled with people sleeping in shacks and trailers. Most are drunk on Booze or God. You run into backside chapels on the regular. About 70% drunk on Booze, another 30 on God.

Circumstances drive men to God more often than Virtue. If someone is hungry enough, they will cut you up, cook and eat you. Poor people Cheating is on the tip of their tongue and in their front pocket.

There has been no hot water in the Aqueduct jockey room for a year, so imagine what's going on elsewhere.

Super Trainer tie-in. Talented Exercise riders used to get formal or informal $ piece's of a horse's successful campaign. Now they're interchangeable because a few trainers have all the horses.

the little guy
09-13-2018, 09:03 PM
At least give some to Colin Kaepernik, Cause he dont want to work,he just wants to beat on Dee drum all day.

Wow is this idiotic.

JustRalph
09-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Wow is this idiotic.

I took it as a joke.......

I think it’s a line from a song........not sure though

clicknow
09-14-2018, 05:22 AM
Most backsides are safe havens for non-citizens. They're filled with people sleeping in shacks and trailers. Most are drunk on Booze or God. You run into backside chapels on the regular. About 70% drunk on Booze, another 30 on God.

Circumstances drive men to God more often than Virtue. If someone is hungry enough, they will cut you up, cook and eat you. Poor people Cheating is on the tip of their tongue and in their front pocket.

You left out the adjective "hard working" poor people. ;)

How about "backsides are safe havens for dishonest employers who hire illegals" to cut corners, then repay backside workers with shacks and unsafe living conditions in return for their hard work.

There has been no hot water in the Aqueduct jockey room for a year, so imagine what's going on elsewhere.

That's a disgrace, of course.

rastajenk
09-14-2018, 07:15 AM
This is one crazy (crazy as in incredibly stupid) thread.:eek:

Thomas Roulston
09-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Jockeys who ride unplaced horses should get 2% of what the owner earns, in addition to the "losing" fee, whatever it is - and the purse distribution should be staggered based on the actual finish: In a 12-horse field, for example, the purse might be divided 60% to 1st, 18% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd and 4% to 4th - but instead of 1% each for 5th through 12th, it could be 1.8% to 5th, 1.4% to 6th, 1.2% to 7th, 1% to 8th, .8% to 9th, .7% to 10th, .6% to 11th and .5% to 12th. In a race with a $50,000 purse, this would mean $30,000 to the owner of the winner, with $9,000 to second, $5,000 to third, $2,000 to 4th, $900 to 5th, $700 to 6th, $600 to 7th, $500 to 8th, $400 to 9th, $350 to 10th, $300 to 11th and $250 to 12th. Assuming a "losing mount" fee of $100, this would yield total jockey fees of $3,000 to the winning jockey (10% of the win purse), $450 to 2nd (5% of the second purse), $250 to 3rd (5% of the third purse), then $140 to 4th ($100 plus 2% of the fourth purse), $118 to 5th, $114 to 6th, $112 to 7th, $110 to 8th, $108 to 9th, $107 to 10th, $106 to 11th, and $105 to 12th. Jockeys who ride horses that did not finish, or were disqualified for fouling a horse that did not finish, receive the base losing jockey mount fee only.

Greyfox
09-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Go to any major track and check out the stalls Reserved for Jockeys.
Some are driving in cars that I can only dream of.

castaway01
09-14-2018, 01:15 PM

There's a reason for that. They have very unique skills---you or I could not do what they do, nor could 99.9% of the population.

It's the same with any professional athlete. Whether you think it's unfair, or they're spoiled, or society's priorities are messed up, they have unique size, skills, and talents to the participants in industries that generate BILLIONS of dollars. They may not "deserve" that much money for playing a kids' game, but there's a reason why they get paid what they do.

Jockey are much the same---plus they risk their lives each time they go out on the track, which an NBA or MLB player (except in extremely rare cases) does not.

v j stauffer
09-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Some "stalls" in the toilet are also reserved....:puke:

v j stauffer
09-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Jockeys who ride unplaced horses should get 2% of what the owner earns, in addition to the "losing" fee, whatever it is - and the purse distribution should be staggered based on the actual finish: In a 12-horse field, for example, the purse might be divided 60% to 1st, 18% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd and 4% to 4th - but instead of 1% each for 5th through 12th, it could be 1.8% to 5th, 1.4% to 6th, 1.2% to 7th, 1% to 8th, .8% to 9th, .7% to 10th, .6% to 11th and .5% to 12th. In a race with a $50,000 purse, this would mean $30,000 to the owner of the winner, with $9,000 to second, $5,000 to third, $2,000 to 4th, $900 to 5th, $700 to 6th, $600 to 7th, $500 to 8th, $400 to 9th, $350 to 10th, $300 to 11th and $250 to 12th. Assuming a "losing mount" fee of $100, this would yield total jockey fees of $3,000 to the winning jockey (10% of the win purse), $450 to 2nd (5% of the second purse), $250 to 3rd (5% of the third purse), then $140 to 4th ($100 plus 2% of the fourth purse), $118 to 5th, $114 to 6th, $112 to 7th, $110 to 8th, $108 to 9th, $107 to 10th, $106 to 11th, and $105 to 12th. Jockeys who ride horses that did not finish, or were disqualified for fouling a horse that did not finish, receive the base losing jockey mount fee only.

When I first came around the losing jock mount was $30.00.

If you asked a jock how he did in a race. If he finished far back he'd angrily retort.

"I got hot and dirty for thirty"

Thomas Roulston
09-14-2018, 07:59 PM
When I first came around the losing jock mount was $30.00.

If you asked a jock how he did in a race. If he finished far back he'd angrily retort.

"I got hot and dirty for thirty"

When I first became aware of such things in the mid-'70s, the losing mount was $35 for all purses of $5,000 and up.

But what I'm proposing keeps everybody honest - the higher the horse finishes, the more money all involved receive.

elhelmete
09-14-2018, 08:28 PM
When I first became aware of such things in the mid-'70s, the losing mount was $35 for all purses of $5,000 and up.

But what I'm proposing keeps everybody honest - the higher the horse finishes, the more money all involved receive.

That $13 extra dollars to finish 5th is a huge incentive?

Thomas Roulston
09-15-2018, 08:40 AM
That $13 extra dollars to finish 5th is a huge incentive?

As Sy Syms said, quick nickels are better than slow dollars - and those $13 and even $8 add up over a week, a month, a year.