PDA

View Full Version : 60 mins CBS

ldiatone
09-09-2018, 11:06 PM
any one watch the episode of 60 mins on sun. 9-9-2018? it is new and the one subject was CLONING POLO HORSES. the one fellow cloned several horses from a horse that broke its leg and was put down. he rides them in polo matches. now it was stated it is not permitted to do the thoroughbred breed.so why and what do members think of all? make bigger fields!!??

GMB@BP
09-09-2018, 11:19 PM
I think this would ruin the sport of tbred racing.

Dave Schwartz
09-09-2018, 11:54 PM

I must agree.

In TBreds, not even artificial insemination is permitted.

davew
09-10-2018, 01:03 AM

That depends on what you consider 'the sport of tbred racing'.

It would definitely have a huge impact on breeding operations. I am not sure what it would do to big races. The daily grind in middle or smaller circuits might not be affected at all.

chadk66
09-10-2018, 08:48 AM
We can make bigger fields by simply breeding more horses. The amount of horses being born now is down significantly from what it was in the past. You can't even artificially inseminate thoroughbreds like you can most other breeds.

vegasone
09-10-2018, 08:57 AM
The problem is not that they can’t breed more horses. After they changed the tax law it wasn’t economically worth it to a lot of people to buy and race them.

Tom
09-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Wouldn't it increase the number of dead heats?

clicknow
09-10-2018, 10:55 AM
In TBreds, not even artificial insemination is permitted.

But decades of PEDs, etc. are okay/good for the breed. :bang:

In many respects, a purist might say they are already "clones" of a sort. :)

clicknow
09-10-2018, 11:07 AM
We can make bigger fields by simply breeding more horses.

The problem is not that they can’t breed more horses.

After reading thru some of the horse slaughter topics, my enjoyment of large fields would be significantly reduced if I knew it would create more suffering for horses.

Now, if they changed the laws / requirements around what was required of breeders/owners when horses are registered to ameliorate this, I'd be all for breeding more and having bigger fields, of course. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
09-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't it increase the number of dead heats?

Brilliant!!!

classhandicapper
09-10-2018, 03:36 PM
There's a cloned mule that runs on the CA fair circuit. He name is Lil Sarah. The original was a champion named Sarah Nelson. They actually ran against each other at one point. The original was better, but the clone is not too shabby on her best day.