PDA

View Full Version : raybo has left us

Parson
09-07-2018, 04:25 PM
I am afraid I have some bad news to report regarding Raybo. I just received an email from his sister, Jonnie Ray passed away yesterday about 1245. It was his wish to be cremated and have his ashes interred at a veterans cemetery in Dallas.

I sure learned quite a bit from him over the years. RIP Ray RIP:rip:

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Very sad news Parson. He was a fixture here and was always looking to help. :(:rip:

PhantomOnTour
09-07-2018, 05:01 PM
So sad to hear this.
Raybo was a valuable contributor here and helped many horse players.
One a few bona fide genuinely nice guys.

May he Rest In Eternal Peace

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Very sorry to hear.

Johnny Ray... was his last name Gomez?

Parson
09-07-2018, 05:11 PM
no, i have a typo. his name was Ray Baker. Jonnie was the name of his sister. sorry about that

Tape Reader
09-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Very sorry to hear. Really liked his contributions.

Raybo introduced me to equal length golf clubs. I'm sure he would be happy to see how well Bryson Dechambeau is playing with them.

mikesal57
09-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Thx Matt for the sad update

Rest in peace Ray Baker

The PA community will miss and remember you

Mike

Red Knave
09-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Sad news indeed. RIP Raybo. Very special guy.

:(

Ted Craven
09-07-2018, 06:01 PM
I corresponded with Ray a few times and he was always very kind and helpful. I learned several valuable things from him and am grateful.

Thank you Ray for your contributions to teaching us - godspeed onward.

Ted

Tom
09-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Very sad news. Raybo was a stand up guy. He helped me wiht a few Excel things over the years.

He is an icon around here.

My thoughts and prayer to him and his family and friends.

:rip:

JimG
09-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Always sad when a great contributor to this board passes. RIP Ray. Condolences to his family and friends.

Jim

thaskalos
09-07-2018, 10:12 PM
This very sad development deserves its own thread in a major forum of this site, IMO...given that Raybo was a fixture here for a long time. My deepest condolences go out to his family.

mmdorn
09-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Very sad news. Raybo was a great guy, he will be missed.

Rest in peace Ray. All my prayers for him, and his family and friends.

Mike

castaway01
09-07-2018, 10:44 PM
I agree with Thask that this should be moved to a more prominent spot.

I didn't know Raybo that well but I always liked his posts and you could see he was a really good, helpful guy. My condolences to his family and all of his good friends here as well.

Cratos
09-07-2018, 11:12 PM
There are very few if any persons that you are in contact with on the Internet that you can call a friend, but to me Raybo was a friend because he was always polite and supportive even when he disagreed with me; and I hope now he is at lasting peace.

Cratos

098poi
09-07-2018, 11:21 PM
My condolences.

headhawg
09-07-2018, 11:24 PM
My condolences to family and friends. Rest in Peace, Raybo.

DeltaLover
09-07-2018, 11:40 PM
RIP Raybo

Handiman
09-08-2018, 01:06 AM
Discussed things with Ray quite a few times while he was developing his software. Such a nice guy. So sad to hear of his passing.

Handi

BCOURTNEY
09-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Good guy, RIP Ray.

Secondbest
09-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Raybo,one of the really good guys. Rest in peace.

Exotic1
09-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Very Sad.

RIP Ray.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2018, 02:03 PM
The sad news that raybo passed away on Thursday after a long illness was revealed over on the Handicapping Software board. We thought it might be best to create a thread in a more widely read area of the forum so those wishing to express their condolences and remembrances of raybo could do so.

raybo joined this forum way back in 2004 and was well known for his AllData Excel project (https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/). He was one of those guys who always had a positive view to share here and he frequently went out of his way to help others seeking to improve their game. He will be greatly missed.

My sympathies to his family and his friends, and to those on here who had the pleasure of knowing the man beyond his interactions on this forum.

I've moved many of the comments already made in that other thread here.

Mulerider
09-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Very sad news. Raybo was a stand up guy. He helped me wiht a few Excel things over the years.

He is an icon around here.

My thoughts and prayer to him and his family and friends.

Same here. He cheerfully helped me with a couple of Excel questions. He'll be missed. Condolonces to his friends and family.

trifecta
09-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Sad news. Rest in peace, Raybo.

cj
09-08-2018, 04:19 PM
RIP Raybo. Always a gentleman and will be missed.

wisconsin
09-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Always sad to lose one of our own.

Nitro
09-08-2018, 08:01 PM
I’m also very sorry to hear about Ray’s passing. Sometime ago we had much correspondence regarding some issues I had with Excel. He always went out his way to be helpful and it was much appreciated. He was certainly a big asset to this forum.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends, may he R.I.P.

DeanT
09-08-2018, 10:21 PM
So sorry to read this. May a good guy rest in peace.

Track Collector
09-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Prayers for his family and friends.

My memory might not be so good, but I remember him telling us that he studied racing for 20 years before he decided he understood enough to begin wagering.

I also recall him telling us he focused on and was successful with superfectas.

Pensacola Pete
09-09-2018, 01:39 AM
Condolences.

lamboguy
09-09-2018, 05:02 AM
sad to hear RIP

Vinnie
09-09-2018, 06:11 AM
Sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to his family. Rest in Peace.
What an awesome fellow.

Augenj
09-09-2018, 06:20 AM
It's very sad to hear this. My condolences.

Andy Asaro
09-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Rest in peace.

Inner Dirt
09-09-2018, 06:55 AM
My condolences to his family, Rest in Peace.

five-eighths
09-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Very sad to hear.

Raybo really helped my game especially with superfectas.

I was lucky to interact with him a couple of times on this forum, he was a mentor to me.

RIP :rip:

classhandicapper
09-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Rest in peace Raybo.

Thanks for the Excel help. Much appreciated.

bugboy
09-09-2018, 09:35 AM
rest in peace.

Southbaygent
09-09-2018, 10:57 AM
RIP, Raybo 🙏🏻

Appy
09-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Dear Raybo,
Thanks so much for all the assistance and advice you gave me along the way. I'm gonna miss you pard.

stuball
09-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Rest in Peace Raybo We lost a good one...SAD:(

Stuball

Enigma
09-09-2018, 02:30 PM
A GREAT GUY....A GREAT LOSS....R.I.P

Dave Schwartz
09-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Although this was discussed in another thread, it really is fitting that one of our own like Ray should be remembered here.

Raybo, Rest in peace, old friend.

outofthebox
09-09-2018, 02:41 PM
RIP Raybo...

ultracapper
09-11-2018, 02:57 PM
RIP Raybo

MPRanger
09-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Very sorry to hear this. He was one of my favorite posters over the years.

1GCFAN
09-12-2018, 09:08 PM
RIP Raybo. He will missed.....

FocusWiz
09-13-2018, 07:17 AM
RIP Raybo. I have appreciated the help and advice you always provided.

Grits
09-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Prayers for family and friends. Rest in eternal peace, Raybo. <3

Helles
09-13-2018, 08:16 AM
RIP Raybo.

rubicon55
09-13-2018, 09:28 AM
My condolences to Raybo's family and friends. He was very helpful and enthusiastic in the few correspondences I had with him. May you rest in peace.

JJMartin
10-03-2018, 04:40 PM
I am sorry that I did not see this until today.

Ray and I worked together on a few Excel projects. Ray's program was the inspiration for my own that I spent countless hours on.
RIP Ray

jeebus1083
10-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Raybo was a key contributor here, and helped many people, including myself. I'm grateful for his contribution to my handicapping.

That said, my appreciation for Ray Baker ends there. Many years ago, I learned (by accident) that Ray had some serious personal demons, which may or may not be widely known or acknowledged by the group. Before people accuse me of slandering a "good guy" here is the proof. There's no slander here, simply fact:

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffenderRegistry/Search/Rapsheet?Sid=05380025

Knowing what I know about him, I hope that he is rotting in Hell, and may God bless his victims.

thaskalos
10-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Could this name be a synonym? How sure are you that it's the same guy?

ultracapper
10-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Whether it's the same Ray Baker or not, it's always good to remember, and to remind your loved ones, particularly the younger ones, that anybody can be anybody on the internet. It is so important to keep on-line relationships in perspective.

Everybody deals with a bit of loneliness, some more than others. Same thing about confidence, approval, and self-worth. The internet has become a very easy medium for people to deal with those issues. Remember, no matter how good somebody may seem on-line, you don't know them until you really meet them, and become really acquainted with them.

I raised 2 boys, and now have a 5 year old grandson. My boys spent a ton of time on the computer while growing up, and my grandson will also. It's so important that it is impressed upon my grandson, by me, by his father, and by his uncle, that you have absolutely no idea who is typing on the other side of the conversation. SO IMPORTANT.

As far as this post is concerned, whether it's the same guy or not doesn't matter. This has just been a great opportunity to put out that reminder. However, I would hope that the poster that brought this to our attention did the required due diligence in identifying this man so that nobody gets unnecessarily harmed.

xtb
10-04-2018, 12:38 AM
Raybo was a key contributor here, and helped many people, including myself. I'm grateful for his contribution to my handicapping.

That said, my appreciation for Ray Baker ends there. Many years ago, I learned (by accident) that Ray had some serious personal demons, which may or may not be widely known or acknowledged by the group. Before people accuse me of slandering a "good guy" here is the proof. There's no slander here, simply fact:

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffenderRegistry/Search/Rapsheet?Sid=05380025

Knowing what I know about him, I hope that he is rotting in Hell, and may God bless his victims.

Birthdays match, most likely the same guy. See post #23 in the following thread.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1825297&highlight=birthday#post1825297

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 02:46 AM
Raybo's real name was Ray Baker?

MPRanger
10-04-2018, 02:50 AM

Well, now he's dead and you've made sure his reputation is ruined. And you hope he rots in hell. Got it.

Feel better?

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 02:56 AM
Well, this thread has sure taken a turn.

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 03:00 AM
What the heck is there left to say? This is as big a shock as we've ever seen here.

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 03:07 AM
Well, now he's dead and you've made sure his reputation is ruined. And you hope he rots in hell. Got it.

Feel better?

Should he have "ruined" Raybo's reputation while he was still alive and posting here?

VigorsTheGrey
10-04-2018, 03:07 AM
What the heck is there left to say? This is as big a shock as we've ever seen here.It’s a topsy-turvy world...bad guys appear good, and good guys appear bad...on this board he was CONSIDERED a good guy...on this board I am CONSIDERED a bad guy...go figure...

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 03:10 AM
It’s a tops-turvy world...bad guys appear good, and good guys appear bad...on this board he was CONSIDERED a good guy...on this board I am CONSIDERED a bad guy...go figure...Seriously? Congrats on trying to make this about you...:rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 03:14 AM
Well, it appears this info is valid.

Baker is a part of his registered email address, his birthday matches, and a good portion of his IPs trace back to Texas (near Gun Barrel).

Many, many years ago, somebody else on this forum had told me about this...but back then, I couldn't confirm anything for myself and the person who told me about it didn't seem like they were 100% sure it was the same person...so I decided to leave it be.

VigorsTheGrey
10-04-2018, 03:14 AM
Seriously? Congrats on trying to make this about you...:rolleyes:
Just saying...people are not always what they appear and our judgements are often wrong about people...

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 03:18 AM
You never know who the other person really is...even if you talk to him/her face-to-face every day. There are monsters walking among us, and we are none the wiser.

sour grapes
10-04-2018, 08:28 AM
shocked to hear this,though their are a lot of strange characters at the track.

Tom
10-04-2018, 10:12 AM
I see no possible reason this info, whether true or not, had to be posted.

If the OP knew of this while he was alive, why keep it quiet until after his death, when he cannot defend himself?

That is a cowardly way to live.

Classless.

:ThmbDown:

jeebus1083
10-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Should he have "ruined" Raybo's reputation while he was still alive and posting here?

Had I'd chosen to "ruin" his reputation while he was still alive and well (before his health took a turn), his days on this board would have likely been numbered. Since he was a RSO (which as we see, is in the public domain), the PA board and horse racing in general were probably one of the few escapes from reality that he had left. That's why I kept quiet.

As you pointed out, there are monsters walking among us in life, and we are none the wiser.

bello
10-04-2018, 10:34 AM
We all know how time consuming this nutty pastime, hobby or most likely obsession of horse racing is for most of us.

Certainly what Raybo is accused of is horrific and despicable. But, maybe, just maybe, and hopefully his obsession with horse racing kept him focused on the game and his handicapping tools of late and not the mean and nasty things pointed out here.

mikesal57
10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
I THINK ITS TIME TO LOCK UP THIS THREAD!!!

jeebus1083
10-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Tom,

I make clear my reason for having stayed quiet in my response to Thaskalos.

As far as Ray's ability to defend himself, what is/was there to defend? The facts are of public record, black and white. Compared to some of the innuendo posted within the other subforums, I offered evidence to back up the above statement.

You stake the position that what I did was cowardly and classless.. How about survivors of sexual abuse who keep quiet until many years later, or kept quiet until the offending party had deceased? Is it cowardly and classless to come out with their story, several years after the fact?

Had I'd come forward with this when I first knew about it, I'm sure that you would be saying the same things about me that you are right now, perhaps going one step further accusing me of a blind side hit job on a long time PA contributor.

I see no possible reason this info, whether true or not, had to be posted.

If the OP knew of this while he was alive, why keep it quiet until after his death, when he cannot defend himself?

That is a cowardly way to live.

Classless.

:ThmbDown:

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 10:58 AM
I THINK ITS TIME TO LOCK UP THIS THREAD!!!

What message would we be sending out by shutting down this thread? This is a stark reminder of how little we know about the people that we chat with online...and I think that it belongs here on the board. Maybe the thread should be moved to the off-topics as a result of this disturbing development...but I don't see why it should be shut down. What...we can't handle the TRUTH?

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Tom,

I make clear my reason for having stayed quiet in my response to Thaskalos.

As far as Ray's ability to defend himself, what is/was there to defend? The facts are of public record, black and white. Compared to some of the innuendo posted within the other subforums, I offered evidence to back up the above statement.

You stake the position that what I did was cowardly and classless.. How about survivors of sexual abuse who keep quiet until many years later, or kept quiet until the offending party had deceased? Is it cowardly and classless to come out with their story, several years after the fact?

Had I'd come forward with this when I first knew about it, I'm sure that you would be saying the same things about me that you are right now, perhaps going one step further accusing me of a blind side hit job on a long time PA contributor.

You are not the one who should be called "cowardly and classless". That distinction belongs to RAYBO...regardless of how "helpful" he had been to our group here. :ThmbDown:

mikesal57
10-04-2018, 11:02 AM
What message would we be sending out by shutting down this thread? This is a stark reminder of how little we know about the people that we chat with online...and I think that it belongs here on the board. Maybe the thread should be moved to the off-topics as a result of this disturbing development...but I don't see why it should be shut down. What...we can't handle the TRUTH?

Well...something should be done...before some more classless remarks come out...

Also....Yes its public record but what is the real truth behind it...????
we'll never know....
was it some stupid thing getting back at someone...???
extortion?

dont say it doesnt happen.....

And he's not here to defend himself....

Mike

P.S.- maybe PA should get a back-ground check on all members

xtb
10-04-2018, 11:34 AM
There appears to be 3 separate offenses and they are not accusations but convictions. Personally, I prefer to know about such things than to not know.

Tom
10-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Whatever Raybo did or did not do, and from the descriptions posted, we know no facts at all, he has already been judged by the ultimate authority.

No good comes from this thread.
Sad those who called themselves "friends" do not demand more information before jumping on the bandwagon.

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Well...something should be done...before some more classless remarks come out...

Also....Yes its public record but what is the real truth behind it...????
we'll never know....
was it some stupid thing getting back at someone...???
extortion?

dont say it doesnt happen.....

And he's not here to defend himself....

Mike

P.S.- maybe PA should get a back-ground check on all members

A man in his 50s is convicted repeatedly for sexual improprieties with minors...and you are worried that someone might post "classless remarks" about him? You are obviously more sensitive than I am.

mikesal57
10-04-2018, 11:39 AM
A man in his 50s is convicted repeatedly for sexual improprieties with minors...and you are worried that someone might post "classless remarks" about him? You are obviously more sensitive than I am.

Sensitive...maybe

but

Just tired of all the harassment issues thats been going on...

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Sensitive...maybe

but

Just tired of all the harassment issues thats been going on...

These aren't "harassment issues". These are convictions for sex offences involving minors.

elhelmete
10-04-2018, 11:51 AM
These aren't "harassment issues". These are convictions for sex offences involving minors.

Exactly.!!!!!!

This thread is gross.

Tom
10-04-2018, 11:57 AM

What specifically did he do?
What were the details?

elhelmete
10-04-2018, 12:02 PM
What were the details?

Enough to get convicted 3 times and get a lifetime RSO trophy.

If this was just doing peepee in the woods and someone accidentally caught an eyeful, this would not be the case. Google the Texas penal codes he was busted for.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 12:08 PM

If this was just doing peepee in the woods and someone accidentally caught an eyeful, this would not be the case. Google the Texas penal codes he was busted for.And back then, I don't think pissing in public was considered a sex offense like it is nowadays at least in some places.

bello
10-04-2018, 12:15 PM
I think Mikes post was meant to be a joke or play on words "Lock Up"

Saratoga_Mike
10-04-2018, 12:27 PM
What were the details?

Could you please lay out a scenario where these convictions would NOT bother you (beyond believing they were wrongful convictions--perhaps you believe that)?

mikesal57
10-04-2018, 12:33 PM
What were the details?

Lets ask this sexual predator's wife....:lol:

God save us, please...

ultracapper
10-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Feel better?

His reputation should be ruined. Yes, I for one, feel better. I understand that being able to develop spread sheets carries a lot of weight around here, but it shouldn't trump the kind of behavior we've been made aware of here.

Nitro
10-04-2018, 12:37 PM
So, the righteous non-sinners are all casting their stones.

Sad.

I’ll have to go along with Tom on this one. There was no need to publish this type of information.
Totally uncalled for!

I’m sure (if true) that Ray looked to the PA forum partly as an escape from all the ridicule and embarrassment he caused himself and his immediate friends and family. We’re probably the only friends he had. I’m still glad that I got a chance to communicate with someone who obviously had other personal problems. Perhaps his interaction with us prevented him from getting involved more hideous situations.

ultracapper
10-04-2018, 12:42 PM
I understand fully why the poster that brought this to our attention did so. He's reading page after page of lovefest for this man, from people that know absolutely nothing about the real man.

It goes back to my earlier post in this thread. Impress upon those you love, particularly the younger ones, that no matter how one comes across on the internet, be careful not to put too much emphasis on it. You really have no idea who you're dealing with. And if they begin making requests of you, be very, very careful.

Great lesson here. Important lesson.

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Sad.

I’ll have to go along with Tom on this one. There was no need to publish this type of information.
Totally uncalled for!

I’m sure (if true) that Ray looked to the PA forum partly as an escape from all the ridicule and embarrassment he caused himself and his immediate friends and family. We’re probably the only friends he had. I’m still glad that I got a chance to communicate with someone who obviously had other personal problems. Perhaps his interaction with us prevented him from getting involved more hideous situations.

You neglected to mention the effect that Raybo's behavior might have had on his victims.

Nitro
10-04-2018, 01:07 PM
You neglected to mention the effect that Raybo's behavior might have had on his victims.
That’s quite an assumption! So, you and others know for a fact how his behavior affected anyone?

He certainly didn’t kill anybody! (As many of the video games portray. And what’s the demographic of those playing those type of games for entertainment?)

Besides, I guess they don’t have (or permit) any of those beautiful Greek (nude) statues in Texas.

bobphilo
10-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Maybe the thread should be moved to the off-topics as a result of this disturbing development...but I don't see why it should be shut down. What...we can't handle the TRUTH?

For once I agree with you. This thread definitely belongs in off topics as it has nothing to do with racing or handicapping. It should be on this site as long as people want to air their opinions but not on Racing and Handicapping just because it happened to be this guy's hobby.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Going to move this to off-topic...

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 01:10 PM
For once I agree with you. This thread definitely belongs in off topics as it has nothing to do with racing or handicapping. It should be on this site as long as people want to air their opinions but not on Racing and Handicapping just because it happened to be this guy's hobby.It was originally on off-topic well before this revelation...go figure...

bobphilo
10-04-2018, 01:15 PM
It was originally on off-topic well before this revelation...go figure...

Thanks PA for putting this back where it belongs.

Saratoga_Mike
10-04-2018, 01:21 PM
That’s quite an assumption! So, you and others know for a fact how his behavior affected anyone?

He certainly didn’t kill anybody! (As many of the video games portray. And what’s the demographic of those playing those type of games for entertainment?)

Besides, I guess they don’t have (or permit) any of those beautiful Greek (nude) statues in Texas.

Assuming the verdicts were correct, there's something seriously wrong with your reaction to this matter. Your comment about "beautiful Greek (nude) statues" is a non-sequitur and revolting, given the charges involved children. You should quite well you're behind.

ElKabong
10-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Well, it appears this info is valid.

Baker is a part of his registered email address, his birthday matches, and a good portion of his IPs trace back to Texas (near Gun Barrel).

Many, many years ago, somebody else on this forum had told me about this...but back then, I couldn't confirm anything for myself and the person who told me about it didn't seem like they were 100% sure it was the same person...so I decided to leave it be.

Mike, that was me that PM'd the info and link to his arrest record. I did some digging, posted to you in confidence that firmly I believed it was him. That was several years ago.

I didn't see the need to make it open to the forum, no need for that. As the owner of the forum I thought you needed to know. Plus, the two of you were having a forum spat at the time. The guy wasn't "right" to me. Did some digging and found that link as well as other info.

May he RIP. If he was the person in the link (not many Ray baker's in gun barrel city at that age) then he has to answer to a higher authority than posters here.

railbird
10-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Mike have a poll ;

1 are you a pedophile ... yes /no
2 are you a masochist... yes /no
3 sadist.................... yes /no
4 transvestite......... yes /no
5 other ................. PLEASE EXPLAIN

It would clear up a lot of questions .
:lol:

Saratoga_Mike
10-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Quit, not quite - obviously in my prior post

ElKabong
10-04-2018, 01:44 PM

If this was just doing peepee in the woods and someone accidentally caught an eyeful, this would not be the case. Google the Texas penal codes he was busted for.

I worked with and dated a woman that lived in GBC. She was well aware of Ray Baker. She didn't "know" him but was aware of him. That particular Ray Baker was not a person you'd want your kids to be around. Creepy dud. That's why I sent the info to PA.

I did a lot of footwork on that guy. Looked online, saw the link, asked Paige about a Ray Baker, matched his home address to county records etc. People there knew of his problems.

Mike_412
10-04-2018, 02:00 PM

You have to be f'ing kidding me with your reaction. Sad.

I didn't know the guy, but after reading the multiple convictions against him he and his spreadsheets can rot in hell.

ultracapper
10-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Sad.

Totally uncalled for!

I hope that is true also. It shines a fine light on this board and on the time consuming endeavor of handicapping and how it can be used, like any hobby, as a major distraction from other, even less constructive activities.

1 time is ridicule and embarrasment and "what happened. Is there anything we can do to help?". 3 times in front of a Texas court of law is "Don't even think about coming around me and mine".

mikesal57
10-04-2018, 02:09 PM
In looking at that report....

Maybe the guy was a drunk!!!

First 2 reports were by "unknown" victims....come on...please
Probably cops seeing him urinate..

The 3rd was probably a kid and their mom....."Look Mommy, that man is peeing on the wall"

we all know how things go down in the State of Texas...LOL

Until you really know....let the guy R.I.P

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
For once I agree with you... It must mean that you are getting smarter...:cool:

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Mike, that was me that PM'd the info and link to his arrest record. I did some digging, posted to you in confidence that firmly I believed it was him. That was several years ago.

I didn't see the need to make it open to the forum, no need for that. As the owner of the forum I thought you needed to know. Plus, the two of you were having a forum spat at the time. The guy wasn't "right" to me. Did some digging and found that link as well as other info.

May he RIP. If he was the person in the link (not many Ray baker's in gun barrel city at that age) then he has to answer to a higher authority than posters here.

.Yup, it was you back then who had told me about raybo.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2018, 02:17 PM

The 3rd was probably a kid and their mom....."Look Mommy, that man is peeing on the wall"

Until you really know....let the guy R.I.PAccording to this 2014 article, Texas is not one of the states that will put you on the SO list for peeing in public.

They've always been a sensible state.

ultracapper
10-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Until you really know....let the guy R.I.P

That's it. The state of Texas kept tabs and a tight leash on this guy because he had a weak bladder.

Glad you're here to figure that out for us.

mikesal57
10-04-2018, 02:37 PM
That's it. The state of Texas kept tabs and a tight leash on this guy because he had a weak bladder.

Glad you're here to figure that out for us.

Why thank you sir...and my middle name is Sherlock

cj
10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
I initially thought about closing this thread when I first saw the allegation, but I didn't for a few reasons. First, it seemed credible. I knew the name was correct and the rest matched up. Second, shutting down what was likely the truth seemed like a bad precedent. Just my two cents, and I see now PA agrees (whether for the same reasons or not is irrelevant).

fast4522
10-04-2018, 03:32 PM
I appreciate the powers that be for not closing this thread. I believe as horse players we can set this into the propper context better than a different cross section of people. I first had contact with Rabo on another horse racing forum, as a newbie he was very helpful to me. I have expressed in other threads that we are the government instead of elete bozos, not exact language. That being said we make every effort for those who have made mistakes to fit in our society some place, if I am wrong please correct me. Raybo's conduct here was exemplary, again correct me if I am wrong. My contact with Raybo here at Pace Advantage was also helpful. Like it or not the guy fit in well here. I am not going to comment on the guys problems, and maybe I wish that I did not find out about them.

With that, RIP Rabo

Tom
10-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Could you please lay out a scenario where these convictions would NOT bother you (beyond believing they were wrongful convictions--perhaps you believe that)?

You should take reading comprehension lessons.
I never said nor implied the charges did not bother me.
I specifically said they could not be condoned.

What I said was why did the OP seem to thing he had to bring the whole thing up? What is his agenda? The man is dead and judged by whoever gets the final say. Why disparage him here where he had friends (although not as many he thought he had).

Is YOUR life better today knowing that dirt?

I prefer to keep the memories of a man who was friendly, and helpful here. Is that too much to ask, not to know what no one needs to know at this late date?

I do know that seeing the description on the link posted, no details are given. I have no idea what he did or didn't do. If he were alive and posting here, I would be interested to find out.

But as he is a dead friend, I do not abandon his friendship just because some misfit internet gossip monger posts about it long after it matters. He is gone and judged. It doesn't matter anymore.

Tom
10-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Mike have a poll ;

1 are you a pedophile ... yes /no
2 are you a masochist... yes /no
3 sadist.................... yes /no
4 transvestite......... yes /no
5 other ................. PLEASE EXPLAIN

It would clear up a lot of questions .
:lol:

Sick

Saratoga_Mike
10-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Par for the course - you don't like a question and you lash out. You should really work on your anger issues.

Tom
10-04-2018, 04:27 PM
You should learn how to ask questions.
You know what, put me on ignore if you don't like my answers.
I certainly will not go to my grave missing YOUR witty banter.

Track Collector
10-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Sad news (of Raybo's criminal history).

That said, not a single one of us are able to know where his heart has been in the past 20 years. I believe that if he sought forgiveness from our Lord he received it.

thaskalos
10-04-2018, 04:33 PM

What I said was why did the OP seem to thing he had to bring the whole thing up? What is his agenda? The man is dead and judged by whoever gets the final say. Why disparage him here where he had friends (although not as many he thought he had).

I prefer to keep the memories of a man who was friendly, and helpful here. Is that too much to ask, not to know what no one needs to know at this late date?

I do know that seeing the description on the link posted, no details are given. I have no idea what he did or didn't do. If he were alive and posting here, I would be interested to find out.

But as he is a dead friend, I do not abandon his friendship just because some misfit internet gossip monger posts about it long after it matters. He is gone and judged. It doesn't matter anymore.

Tom...you are a better man than I am. I too would like to say what you've said here, but there are certain things that I don't think could be forgiven...even if they apply to a dead man. IMO...our kids today have enough trouble waiting for them out there. They don't need the additional hassle of being preyed upon by dirty old men.

OntheRail
10-04-2018, 04:46 PM
The interaction I had with Raybo where few but those we had he was helpful. He is gone.. and laid to rest.

We all must face our Marker in the end.

Nitro
10-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Well said Tom!

Apparently, our attitude has unhinged the fragile moral fibric of some around here.

Perhaps they should take a closer look at society in general and challenge themselves to comprehend the shift in those morals over the last 50 years or so. No one is saying what Ray did or didn’t do is something we would praise. But in the same breath I personally wouldn’t approve of younger people being exposed to things like this either:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/708726/world-naked-bike-ride-nude-cyclists-thessaloniki-mexico-city
https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/09/thousands_of_naked_cyclists_ta.html
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/world-naked-bike-ride-hundreds-of-nude-cyclists-to-descend-on-london-streets-in-protest-of-car-a3857566.html

So let’s put things in proper perspective!

castaway01
10-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Well said Tom!

Apparently, our attitude has unhinged the fragile moral fibric of some around here.

Perhaps they should take a closer look at society in general and challenge themselves to comprehend the shift in those morals over the last 50 years or so. No one is saying what Ray did or didn’t do is something we would praise. But in the same breath I personally wouldn’t approve of younger people being exposed to things like this either:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/708726/world-naked-bike-ride-nude-cyclists-thessaloniki-mexico-city
https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/09/thousands_of_naked_cyclists_ta.html
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/world-naked-bike-ride-hundreds-of-nude-cyclists-to-descend-on-london-streets-in-protest-of-car-a3857566.html

So let’s put things in proper perspective!

Is whataboutism really your best defense for a sex offender? I'd have more respect for you (I couldn't have less, really) if you at least said, "Raybo was good at horse racing so I don't care what he did to abuse kids." At least then you're being honest. Raybo didn't ride in a nude bike race, you don't become a registered sex offender for that. So the whataboutism is both nauseating and moronic.

Tom
10-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Tom...you are a better man than I am. I too would like to say what you've said here, but there are certain things that I don't think could be forgiven...even if they apply to a dead man. IMO...our kids today have enough trouble waiting for them out there. They don't need the additional hassle of being preyed upon by dirty old men.

I don't forgive him. It wouldn't matter if I did.
He has been judged and his fate sealed by a higher power than I.
I just didn't have to know about it.

I would have prefered to have kept my fond memories of the man I knew here.

ReplayRandall
10-04-2018, 06:27 PM
I don't forgive him. It wouldn't matter if I did.
He has been judged and his fate sealed by a higher power than I.
I just didn't have to know about it.

Tom, I understand you wanting to hold on to good memories of those that have passed on, we all do. However, this is a unique situation, here in cyberspace, and we must be honest with one another and not selfish with our wants and desires......It's the major problem I see here everyday, reality vs fantasyland, you never really know the total picture, no one does.

VigorsTheGrey
10-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Is whataboutism really your best defense for a sex offender? I'd have more respect for you (I couldn't have less, really) if you at least said, "Raybo was good at horse racing so I don't care what he did to abuse kids." At least then you're being honest. Raybo didn't ride in a nude bike race, you don't become a registered sex offender for that. So the whataboutism is both nauseating and moronic.

That last sentence make my head spin...

jeebus1083
10-04-2018, 07:32 PM
There was no agenda or vendetta. I only found out about Raybo's passing last night, so it was as much a shock to me as it was to others who found out nearly a month ago. Many here have made their feelings known about a man who was well known and respected for his contributions at PA and to their own handicapping prowess. Last night was my opportunity. For me to simply come out and say that Ray was a "great" guy or something along those lines - especially knowing what I knew - would have been a big lie. On the other hand, not saying anything at all would have been a disservice to the group, as the lesson learned here is that what glitters isn't always gold.

elhelmete
10-04-2018, 07:37 PM
That last sentence make my head spin...

Empty ones spin easily.

Nitro
10-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Your lack of anything related to me is as far as I’m concerned meaningless. This thread is not about me or how I feel about this revelation. But I have every right to state my opinion about someone who never hesitated to provide assistance when asked.

What’s really nauseating is your inability to recognize the obvious moral hypocrisy between an individual being prosecuted for exposing himself publicly versus thousands doing it without any reproach or consequence. I guess you would have no objection to subjecting your kids that type surrounding.

Buckeye
10-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Me too.

I would urge everyone here to take a step back and consider where we all are . . .

Right?

Tom
10-04-2018, 08:24 PM
"What glitters is not always gold."

Gee, imagine the horrible life I would have if I not been taught here here!

I mean, I would have wandered on aimlessly thinking everything that looked good was good and trust everyone ion the internet.

What a fool I would have been.
Thank GOD someone looked out for my well-being.
Close call!

ReplayRandall
10-04-2018, 09:02 PM
"What glitters is not always gold."

Gee, imagine the horrible life I would have if I not been taught here here!

I mean, I would have wandered on aimlessly thinking everything that looked good was good and trust everyone ion the internet.

What a fool I would have been.
Thank GOD someone looked out for my well-being.
Close call!
What the crap are you babbling about now?.....Has something changed recently in your life that's become a crisis, or have you gone too many times on the merry-go-round with your buddy, Hcap??….What's with you lately?..... 'cause I'm not getting it.

Tom
10-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Aren't you late a for Q meeting?

jeebus1083
10-05-2018, 09:35 AM
This thread, for lack of a better description, has done gone bananas...

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Understandable given recent revelations

CheckMark
10-05-2018, 09:56 AM
This thread, for lack of a better description, has done gone bananas...

Exactly, and I thought this was the next Kavanaugh argument even though we should let this guy RIP not have a full blown argument that I can't put my head around to what people are tying to say. :lol:

GaryG
10-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Of course these crimes are awful and he probably deserved jail time. But, I see no need to further defame him. As Tom said, his fate has already been sealed by God, who determined whether or not he shall rest in peace.

Inner Dirt
10-05-2018, 10:24 AM
One charge could possibly be explained away, but with 3 pretty sure he did something wrong. At least it appeared to be the lower end offense of flashing. Still pretty disturbing to find that out.

Andy Asaro
10-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Please delete the post I have in the thread.

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Please delete the post I have in the thread.I'm not about to hunt for it...give me the #

thaskalos
10-06-2018, 04:30 PM
I'm not about to hunt for it...give me the #

In post #35...Andy Asaro posted "Rest in peace". :rolleyes:

fast4522
10-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Could there be a motion to delete the whole thread needing a two thirds majority. I don't care either way, what Mike might view to consider or not. This suggestion can be deleted if he wants.

Suff
10-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Exactly, and I thought this was the next Kavanaugh argument even though we should let this guy RIP not have a full blown argument that I can't put my head around to what people are tying to say. :lol:

PA,,, I just caught up to this thread about Raybo. I also agree with keeping it open until it serves its purpose.

In light of this thread, you must consider that Checkmark has been on the BULL HORN that he is a 16 year old boy. Obviously he is not, and considering the world we live in. Boot the mother ****er now. Thanks

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2018, 04:47 PM
PA,,, I just caught up to this thread about Raybo. I also agree with keeping it open until it serves its purpose.

In light of this thread, you must consider that Checkmark has been on the BULL HORN that he is a 16 year old boy. Obviously he is not, and considering the world we live in. Boot the mother ****er now. ThanksI was two steps ahead of you. Booted him about 20 minutes ago

Suff
10-06-2018, 04:50 PM
In post #35...Andy Asaro posted "Rest in peace".

That post and emoticon were inappropriate if you took advantage of saying a nice word into some implicit approval of Rays previously unknown history?
Is that the dig you intended?

tucker6
10-06-2018, 04:58 PM
I just read the entire thread after seeing it yesterday. I am saddened for two reasons. One, I always appreciated Ray's posts and demeanor here on PA. So his passing seemed untimely to me. Two, I am saddened to learn that Ray was not a man I would wish to know in real life. There is NO parsing what he did. It was very bad. That said, I am okay with this information coming out. We should all be reminded that our guards need to be up constantly, and that just because someone is great at excel doesn't make them a good choice to play ball with your kids.

I hope Raybo asked for and received forgiveness before he died.

Suff
10-06-2018, 05:05 PM
This will probably get the thread closed but F'it.

Demonizing this stuff is appropriate. I'm reluctant to admit that a sizable cult of pedophial existed in the Catholic Church. Pennsylvania just released a horrific report less than a month ago. If you have a weak stomach then don't read it.

Thousands, if not tens of thousands of young children sexually abused over decades. Not that it matters, it does'nt, but most people who do this, had it done to them. Its a cancer that spreads.

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2018, 06:26 PM
It should be pointed out that based on the link provided to the SO list, he was a flasher...with one of three victims being under 18.

Not to excuse or lessen it in any way, but I don't think one needs to start bringing what's going on in the Catholic church into the discussion.

thaskalos
10-06-2018, 06:38 PM
It should be pointed out that based on the link provided to the SO list, he was a flasher...with one of three victims being under 18.

Not to excuse or lessen it in any way, but I don't think one needs to start bringing what's going on in the Catholic church into the discussion.

Where did you see that? All I could find was his latest conviction, where he was found guilty of "Indecency with a child by exposure"...which could also mean that he induced the 15 year-old to expose her genitalia to HIM.

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Where did you see that? All I could find was his latest conviction, where he was found guilty of "Indecency with a child by exposure"...which could also mean that he induced the 15 year-old to expose her genitalia to HIM.I didn't read it like that at all.

There were three offenses listed there. Two within days where the victim's age isn't listed, and one I think a few months or a couple years later, where the age is listed at 15.

Indecent exposure is HIM flashing...not getting someone else to flash...but who knows, I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time.

Suff
10-06-2018, 07:17 PM

I actually wish I didn't post that now, so delete it if that works better for you.

I bumped into the thread and was over thinking and over talking. Thanks

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2018, 08:35 PM
I don't see it as a big deal (your post). Just didn't want people thinking these were larger offenses.

elhelmete
10-06-2018, 09:23 PM
I don't see it as a big deal (your post). Just didn't want people thinking these were larger offenses.

From my legal googling, 2 were flashing the first one was touching.

Suff
10-06-2018, 11:00 PM
When your caught 3 times then you've done it 30 times.

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2018, 11:46 PM
From my legal googling, 2 were flashing the first one was touching.No. I don't want to get into a huge argument over this, but no. All three are listed as exposure.

And here is the law and it corresponds with what is on the SO Registry link pertaining to this case:

https://blog.austindefense.com/2006/09/articles/texas-penal-code/definition-of-indecency-with-a-child-texas-penal-code-section-2111/

The file on Ray Baker doesn't go further than "TEXAS PENAL CODE 21.11 (a)(2)" in detail, so we don't know if it's (a)(2)(A) OR (a)(2)(B), or both I suppose the case might be.

Who knows though...we could speculate further and theorize this was a plea deal from a more serious charge.

No need to start inventing stuff though that may or may not be.

mountainman
10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Touchy subject ,dealing with which, we should, in my opinion, be very tolerant of opposing views. Two seemingly contradictory things can be true at once.

First off, how sad for the children involved, and, for their sake, those who wish Raybo eternal torment get no debate from me. But as a man all too aware of his own fatal flaws and weaknesses, my simple request to those that care about me is to please remember my good qualities when I'm gone. So those who choose to remember Raybo as a sharp handicapper and valued friend likewise draw no condemnation from me.

I've known some creeps..REAL creeps, and , to be honest, my attitude toward them varied. Some I accepted as acquaintances and pitied for their personal demons and twisted compulsions. Others I despised, verbally abused, and had zero sympathy or tolerance for.

Life and people are never one-dimensional. And nobody is wrong here on this thread.

That's just my opinion, of course, and I could be completely mistaken.

TJDave
10-07-2018, 12:52 PM
DON’T rest in peace.

FIFY.

mikesal57
10-07-2018, 01:01 PM
No. I don't want to get into a huge argument over this, but no. All three are listed as exposure.

And here is the law and it corresponds with what is on the SO Registry link pertaining to this case:

https://blog.austindefense.com/2006/09/articles/texas-penal-code/definition-of-indecency-with-a-child-texas-penal-code-section-2111/

The file on Ray Baker doesn't go further than "TEXAS PENAL CODE 21.11 (a)(2)" in detail, so we don't know if it's (a)(2)(A) OR (a)(2)(B), or both I suppose the case might be.

Who knows though...we could speculate further and theorize this was a plea deal from a more serious charge.

No need to start inventing stuff though that may or may not be.

Remind me NOT to be a paid advertiser here ( as Ray was probably).....

This does not need to continue...

and the answer is no...I have no criminal record!!!

Mike

and as for donating ...I'm done...

thaskalos
10-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Mike

and as for donating ...I'm done...

What are you implying here? That the "paid advertisers" here should be protected by a shroud of "secrecy" when something very disturbing about them is about to be revealed?

Tom
10-07-2018, 05:35 PM
OMG....just when you thought you had hit the bottom. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
10-07-2018, 06:01 PM

Mike

and as for donating ...I'm done...Donations are voluntary, so that's fine.

As for everything else, I have no idea WTF you are talking about. raybo never was a paid advertiser here. I'm not even sure if he ever sold anything.

jeebus1083
10-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Donations are voluntary, so that's fine.

As for everything else, I have no idea WTF you are talking about. raybo never was a paid advertiser here. I'm not even sure if he ever sold anything.

Alldata was always free.