PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Garrett Gomez

Dancer's Image
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Fairplex Park _
Gomez gets four rides in comebackBenoit & Associates Bluesthestandard has a history of working well at Fairplex.By BRAD FREE
POMONA, Calif. - The first day of the Los Angeles County Fair meet marks a new beginning for jockey Garrett Gomez. Port Isle in race 4 will be the first mount for Gomez since Dec. 14, 2002 at Sunland Park. Since then, Gomez fought substance abuse, received treatment, and got his life in order. Port Isle and Artabegood in race 8 are trained by Gomez's longtime friend Leonard Duncan. Gomez also rides two for trainer Pete Eurton - Fabulous Ruler in race 5, and Trish's Diamond in race 11, the $60,000 Foothill Stakes. Eurton said he has no worries using a jockey who had not ridden in more than 20 months.
"I don't think I'm giving up that much, he's been working horses for me at Santa Anita, he looked like he was in good shape, and I know he can bullring," Eurton said. Gomez, he added, is "an athlete. I think he can jump right back into it, like a fish into water."
Gomez, 32, is represented by agent Jim Pegram.

CryingForTheHorses
09-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Been kind of boring here without seeing you,I guess we will have to shakeup PA as he hasnt said alot since he was walking home from a saratoga party and somebody stepped on his hands! Glad this guy is getting back to what he loves, Thats important in life.Im sure he will make it!

Dancer's Image
09-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Two 2nd's and a 3rd for his first three rides (Fabulous Ruler was scratched), not bad for his first day back

Dancer's Image
09-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Jockey Garrett Gomez will miss 13 mounts from Thursday to Sunday.By BRAD FREE
POMONA, Calif. - Garrett Gomez's comeback has hit a snag, and instead of riding the closing-weekend race cards at the Los Angeles County Fair, he will spend the weekend in the Orange County jail.
According to his agent, Jim Pegram, Gomez was on "probation hold" in Orange County because of a miscommunication with a probation officer. Pegram and track stewards say they do not believe Gomez is in trouble, and Pegram expects the matter to be resolved early next week.
"It's unfortunate, but there is nothing we can get done until we see the judge Monday morning," Pegram said Friday. "If he had done something, I'd be worried, but he'll be all right. He's complied with everything."
Gomez resumed riding Sept. 10 after being away from the sport since December 2002 while he battled substance-abuse and personal problems. Because of run-ins with law officers during his time away, Gomez was required to meet regularly with various probation officers. The Orange County probation office with which Gomez was required to be in contact did not have a record of recent communication, according to Pegram.
Gomez missed two mounts Thursday. He was also to miss three mounts Friday, including Lady Thatcher in the $100,000 Las Madrinas Handicap; five mounts Saturday, including We All Love Aleyna in the $100,000 Pomona Derby; and three mounts Sunday. Gomez, 32, won four races from 30 mounts at the Los Angeles County Fair meet. His conditional license requires random drug-testing and hair-follicle testing.

Dancer's Image
09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Anybody hear any follow-up on this story? He was supposed to meet with the judge yesterday morning, but I can't find any story on it. As a matter of fact, I can't find the original story, the one I posted above, at DRF.com anymore. What happened?

Suff
09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
He was released and wil race tommorrow. His agent released a statement that explained his probation officer had an incorrect address for him and when they got that straightened out he was released.

Dancer's Image
09-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks Suff....sounds like the authorities over reacted just a bit to put the guy in jail....I mean it's not like they didn't know where he was everyday....he raced everyday at the fair!