PDA

View Full Version : How do you call your bets at the window?

craigbraddick
08-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Hi People!

I am assisting the OTB Trainer with a small project here at Arizona Downs. When teaching new tellers, we give examples of how different people "call bets" when they are at the Window, especially the exotic wagers.

We have about two pages of examples at the moment but was wondering if I could "crowdsource" you for just some examples of how you call bets out to a teller when you are at an OTB or at the track.

Just tell us the wager and how you call it out. It will help us further develop better customer service and I appreciate any examples you can give, even if they are "obvious" to you, we want to try to cover as many basses as possible so we can meet the needs of our customers.

Many thanks,

Craig.

VigorsTheGrey
08-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Track
Race
Dollar Amount
Wager Type
Saddlecloth Numbers
Instruct clerk to process wager

Example:

Saratoga
4th Race
$1
Superfecta Part Wheel
1,4, with 1,2,3,4,5, with 7,8,9, with 1,2,3,4,5.
“punch” (ticket).

Dave Schwartz
08-28-2018, 07:33 PM
What's a window?

mikekk
08-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Reminds me of something.

The company I worked for at the time (1990) transferred me from Vancouver Canada down to their branch in San Leandro CA. Hastings Park had been offering trifectas (we called them "triactors") since the mid-80's, so I was familiar with the bet, and doing quite well with it. When Bay Meadows announced they were accepting them I was in my comfort zone.

First time I go to the window, I start calling out a part-wheel with a single ($36 for a single-triple-quintuple, single in all 3 spots). Then I notice the teller isn't keying in the bet, just staring at me. I stop. He says "Listen. Box or straight. Box or straight. That's all I'm taking."

Broke me up. I started laughing, and walked away. Would have lost, so he saved me $36.

Mike

Tape Reader
08-28-2018, 08:02 PM
1 MTP

Guy in front of me:
Huma, huma, huma.

Guy in back of me:
Call them out! Call dem out ! !

Guy in front of me:
HUMA, HUMA. HUMA.

thaskalos
08-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Reminds me of something.

The company I worked for at the time (1990) transferred me from Vancouver Canada down to their branch in San Leandro CA. Hastings Park had been offering trifectas (we called them "triactors") since the mid-80's, so I was familiar with the bet, and doing quite well with it. When Bay Meadows announced they were accepting them I was in my comfort zone.

First time I go to the window, I start calling out a part-wheel with a single ($36 for a single-triple-quintuple, single in all 3 spots). Then I notice the teller isn't keying in the bet, just staring at me. I stop. He says "Listen. Box or straight. Box or straight. That's all I'm taking."

Broke me up. I started laughing, and walked away. Would have lost, so he saved me $36.

Mike

Yeah...these on-track tellers need better schooling in customer relations. Years ago, when foreign racing was first introduced in this country, I was at Arlington Park and wanted to bet on an Australia race. When I went up to a teller and started off by telling him that I wanted to bet Australia...his incredulous reply was: "AUSTRALIA? What the fu ck do you know about AUSTRALIA?"

craigbraddick
08-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Yeah...these on-track tellers need better schooling in customer relations. Years ago, when foreign racing was first introduced in this country, I was at Arlington Park and wanted to bet on an Australia race. When I went up to a teller and started off by telling him that I wanted to bet Australia...his incredulous reply was: "AUSTRALIA? What the fu ck do you know about AUSTRALIA?"

This is why we are doing exactly that...schooling in customer relations!

RunForTheRoses
08-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Track
Race
Dollar Amount
Wager Type
Saddlecloth Numbers
Instruct clerk to process wager

Example:

Saratoga
4th Race
$1
Superfecta Part Wheel
1,4, with 1,2,3,4,5, with 7,8,9, with 1,2,3,4,5.
“punch” (ticket).

As a former teller that is how it should be done. The reality is somewhat different. There is regional variation-New Yorkers will say Triple instead of Trifecta, Canadians Triactor, others, I think Canadian and/or Midwest Exactor. Californians will say Triple for a Pick 3 (I haven't worked in this profession for a long time so things may be different).

A lot of people will come up and say give me a dollar box and you have to ask "Tri Exacta, Super"?

Many will say 2 across meaning $2WPS.

Suff
08-28-2018, 08:11 PM
:ThmbUp:Reminds me of something.

g."

Mike

That was a Funny story.::ThmbUp:

I call bets the same way.

Delmar, race 5, dollar pick 3, 2, 3,6 w/9,11 w/ 2, 3, 7

Same race.

dollar pick 3, 2w/9,11w/all

same race

dollar pick 3, 2,3,6w/9, 10, 11,/w 2,3.

getting tellers ready for cancels and estimates is the gritty.

people ask, what's this .50 cent pick4 cost? 5 to the 3,5, 7, to the 6, to the 5,9,13?

$4.50.

Ok, give me the 5,7 to the 3, 5, 7, to the 6, to the 5, 9, 13. Whats that cost?

$9.00

Ok, that's good, I'll take that.

RunForTheRoses
08-28-2018, 08:11 PM
$2 Reverse 5 6 means $2 exacta box 5 6.

castaway01
08-28-2018, 08:21 PM

I mean, guy's got a point.... :)

trifecta
08-29-2018, 01:15 AM
If I want a $2 exacta with the 2 on top of the 3-5-6 and the 3-5-6 on top of the 2 ($12 total), I'll say:

Saratoga
Race 6
$2 exacta key reverse
2 with the 3-5-6

AndyC
08-29-2018, 12:56 PM

I know a lot of players who would benefit from a teller like that.

jay68802
08-29-2018, 01:07 PM
What's a window?

It is the clear thing on the front of my house, that acts as a magnet for birds.

burnsy
08-29-2018, 01:38 PM
NYRA Bets App. , never waiting in line at Saratoga again. Its literally the best thing since sliced bread! Some people handicap the race at the window or machine....un-f'en-believable!

I love watching people, makes me think, how can I possibly lose vs. them?

Yeah. I'm an arrogant prick. But its hard not to be when you feel like half the world is "special ED"

Sheldon Cooper!

CheckMark
08-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Since I’m 16 and can’t legally wager yet, I try to get a bet in off the automatic ones. Works best for me. But people think I am a adult :bang:

thaskalos
08-29-2018, 02:29 PM
Since I’m 16 and can’t legally wager yet, I try to get a bet in off the automatic ones. Works best for me. But people think I am a adult :bang:

Where do you get the money to bet with?

classhandicapper
08-29-2018, 02:32 PM

I financed my bad handicapping with comic book sales from my collection at that age. Silver Surfer got me through quite a few daily doubles at the time.

Dan Montilion
08-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Fo Mine Bah he... 4 9 box it

VigorsTheGrey
08-29-2018, 03:06 PM

You know, spontaneously collecting recyclables from open garages...discovering loose change in nitestands and drawers...stuff like that.

Brass Hat
08-29-2018, 03:27 PM
NYRA Bets App. , never waiting in line at Saratoga again. Its literally the best thing since sliced bread! Some people handicap the race at the window or machine....un-f'en-believable!

I love watching people, makes me think, how can I possibly lose vs. them?

Yeah. I'm an arrogant prick. But its hard not to be when you feel like half the world is "special ED"

Sheldon Cooper!

A dispute at the machine was what started the brawl before the Travers.

There is a nice little area where they have Pete Fornatale's seminar on Saturday's, many machines and simulcasts on the TVs, only a few people seem to have found that area.

MonmouthParkJoe
08-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Voucher please

VigorsTheGrey
08-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Where I bet there are 4 machines and 1 voucher only machine...usually works fine....until on big days, then they bring in a live person and take away the autobet machine so the clerk can dispense tickets manually, for our convenience.

.. Nobody goes to his window and lines form behind the remaining 3 machines...everybody grumbles and asks, "how come they took the machine away..?"

The clerk feels insulted that no one bothers to come to his window, even though nobody is waiting there... The clerk wonders why they prefer machines over him....