PDA

View Full Version : Wrong about Chris Matthews.

JustMissed
09-08-2004, 11:20 PM
I was wrong about Chris Matthews hosting one of the Presidential debates. Here are the host if anyone cares:

Commission on Presidential Debates Announces Moderators

August 13, 2004

Frank J. Fahrenkopf, Jr., and Paul G. Kirk, Jr., co-chairmen of the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD), today announced moderators for the 2004 general election debates. The moderators, and the schedule and locations for the debates (as announced on November 6, 2003), are as follows:

First presidential debate:
University of Miami
Coral Gables, FL
Thursday, September 30
Jim Lehrer
Anchor and Executive Editor, The NewsHour, PBS

Vice presidential debate:
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday, October 5
Gwen Ifill
Senior Correspondent, The NewsHour, and Moderator, Washington Week, PBS

Second presidential debate:
Washington University in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO
Friday, October 8
Charles Gibson
Co-Anchor, ABC News Good Morning America

Third presidential debate:
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ
Wednesday, October 13
Bob Schieffer
CBS News Chief Washington Correspondent, and Moderator, Face the Nation

Each debate shall begin at 9:00 p.m. EDT.

DJofSD
09-08-2004, 11:28 PM
I hope they interview Zell Miller after one of these soires.

DJofSD

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Having Chris Matthews as a moderator would have been akin to having George Steinbrenner umpire a Yankees/Red Sox game...

JustMissed
09-08-2004, 11:51 PM
I'd like to see a tag team match with Bush/Miller v. Kerry/Matthews.

One of those cage matches where four go in, two come out.

Couldn't you just see Bush getting Kerry into a Texas choke hold.

What about Zell giving Chrissy a pile driver.

Kerry would probably scratch himself and call the match off. Then he'd go before Congress and try to get wrestling banned.

Go to love it, maybe I'll dream about it tonight.

JustMissed
:)

Lance
09-09-2004, 02:50 AM
PA wrote:

"Having Chris Matthews as a moderator would have been akin to having George Steinbrenner umpire a Yankees/Red Sox game..."

Indeed. Good point, PA. Matthews voted for Dole in 1996 and pushed very hard for Bush over Gore during the Florida mess.

Tom
09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
I would love to see John Stewart host one of them.

kenwoodallpromos
09-09-2004, 11:37 PM
How about a cage match?

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Lance
PA wrote:

"Having Chris Matthews as a moderator would have been akin to having George Steinbrenner umpire a Yankees/Red Sox game..."

Indeed. Good point, PA. Matthews voted for Dole in 1996 and pushed very hard for Bush over Gore during the Florida mess.

Well, he isn't giving that sort of impression this year, I can tell you that. Maybe I've been watching the wrong Chris Matthews the last couple of weeks. Is there another one on TV?

so.cal.fan
09-10-2004, 12:32 AM
I'd like to see TOM moderate the debates!
Would that be a hoot????? LOL

Lance
09-10-2004, 12:47 AM
PA wrote:

"Well, he isn't giving that sort of impression this year, I can tell you that. Maybe I've been watching the wrong Chris Matthews the last couple of weeks. Is there another one on TV?"

There is only one Chris Matthews, a small favor for which many Democrats are thankful, since they see him as a turncoat who moved to the right because he knew that cable TV audiences skew that way. I think your opinion of him might be too much influenced by his argument with Zigzag Zell. If you want to see the ultimate in asskissing, watch Matthews interview John McCain some time.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Ummmm....I saw Chris Matthews on Bill Maher's show a couple weeks or so ago. The only ass I saw Chris kissing was Kerry's, the Democrats, and Maher's.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Speaking of Bill Maher, here is a poll from his OWN website on HBO.Com

Whose military service records do you find most troubling?

Senator John Kerry's 60%

President George Bush's 40%

How about that! See, I told you guys the truth was out there. Even on Bill Maher's show!

Lance
09-10-2004, 02:33 AM
PA wrote:

"Ummmm....I saw Chris Matthews on Bill Maher's show a couple weeks or so ago. The only ass I saw Chris kissing was Kerry's, the Democrats, and Maher's."

The likelihood that Matthews will kiss McCain's ass increases somewhat when McCain is actually, ummmmm, within range. Was McCain on Maher's show that night?

lsbets
09-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Matthews has always been an old fashioned machine Democrat so to speak. He did not like Bill Clinton at all and made it obvious. He also did not think much of Gore. He was a topr aide to Tip O'Neill, and does believe in politics the way it used to be played, which explains why he liked Dole.

Immediatly after 9/11 he was gushing with admiration for Bush, but as soon as Iraq came up he went far, far away from him. Does that surprise me? No. Does it surprise me that he would like Kerry? Not at all - he got interested in politics because of the Kennedys and worked for Tip O'Neill. Liking Kerry seems like the natural thing for him to do.

Is he to the right? Not to me, I think Matthews is slightly left of center, and I enjoy his show. At least on his show there is not the bombast and self aggrandizement of O'Reilly. Surprise to the left on here, I would much rather watch Matthews than O'Reilly (these days I would like to watch any TV at all, but that'll happoen next year sometime).

lsbets
09-10-2004, 02:49 AM
And yes, there are times that I think he has a man crush on John McCain.

Lance
09-10-2004, 03:12 AM
lsbets,

I agree with almost all of this. However, I'm not sure he's all that fond of Kerry. I think he tolerates him and respects his war record. He wrote off Kerry's chances months before the New Hampshire Primary.

Two more things:

He was also a speechwriter for Jimmy Carter.

He joined the Peace Corp during the Vietnam War, and there are times when he seems to be fighting his guilt over this. This could account in part for his hatred of Clinton, his respect for Dole and McCain, and his anger when Kerry's war record is challenged.

JustRalph
09-10-2004, 05:32 AM
I believe Chris Mathews was also a capitol hill police officer for a couple of years before he went to work for Tip O'Neill..........