PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Tee
09-08-2004, 04:37 AM
Ok, here's the deal - I was playing poker online & my computer completely froze up!!!!!

Couldn't shut down, no start - turn off computer, no ctrl-alt-del, not even turning the power off!!

Had to do an emergency shutdown which entails taking the battery pack out of my machine. That worked, turned the damn thing back on & everything seems fine. Running my virus scan right now & so far so good.

One more thing - I didn't receive any threat warning thru my internet security program either.

Ok computer gurus - what to make of this episode?

Thanx in advance,

Tee

cj
09-08-2004, 10:38 AM
What to make of it...MICROSOFT!

As for shutting down, you should be able to hold the power button in/down and it will shut off in about 8 seconds.

JustRalph
09-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I can think of ten different causes..........but don't feel like typing all of that crap. 8 of them are easily recoverable and you may not even notice any problem.........if it is one of the other two.......you have slipped off the slope to a coming failure........you will know soon..........

Tee
09-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
What to make of it...MICROSOFT!

As for shutting down, you should be able to hold the power button in/down and it will shut off in about 8 seconds.

That didn't even work!!

That's why I went to the emergency shut down mode.

All seems well this morning, I guess I'll wait & see.

GameTheory
09-08-2004, 04:05 PM
What OS? If Win98/ME, then the answer is "it does that sometimes". If XP, it generally doesn't do that unless you have the new service pack 2, in which case it might. I found out SP2 and my Athlon 64 processor don't get along when running some applications, for example. That's the first time I've seen the blue screen of death with XP...