PDA

View Full Version : Horses changing leads...

thaskalos
08-08-2018, 08:52 PM
How much of an advantage is it for a horse when it efficiently changes leads down the stretch...as opposed to the one that refuses to make such a lead change? TVG's Rich Perloff, who takes pleasure in pointing out such lead changes, once compared it to a man walking down the street with a heavy suitcase in hand...and then switching hands when his occupied hand gets tired. But that can't be an accurate comparison, because the man's other hand is fully rested when he is carrying the suitcase in the one hand...whereas the horse has to use all four legs, no matter what lead the horse is on. Also...are the horses equally proficient when using either side of their body...or do they instinctively favor one side...as humans do? I know that when I swim freestyle, and start on my right lead due to my right-handedness...switching to my left lead during the last lap can hardly be depended upon to deliver an improved performance.

Is there anyone else out there with enough free time to ponder such trivial matters?

Lemon Drop Husker
08-08-2018, 08:59 PM
I fully believe lead changes matter. Especially amongst your everyday races and not high end horseflesh.

Do I handicap for such things? No. If a horse continually fails to change leads and loses ground, it will show up in your numbers and handicapping anyway.

VigorsTheGrey
08-08-2018, 09:41 PM
How much of an advantage is it for a horse when it efficiently changes leads down the stretch...as opposed to the one that refuses to make such a lead change? TVG's Rich Perloff, who takes pleasure in pointing out such lead changes, once compared it to a man walking down the street with a heavy suitcase in hand...and then switching hands when his occupied hand gets tired. But that can't be an accurate comparison, because the man's other hand is fully rested when he is carrying the suitcase in the one hand...whereas the horse has to use all four legs, no matter what lead the horse is on. Also...are the horses equally proficient when using either side of their body...or do they instinctively favor one side...as humans do? I know that when I swim freestyle, and start on my right lead due to my right-handedness...switching to my left lead during the last lap can hardly be depended upon to deliver an improved performance.

Is there anyone else out there with enough free time to ponder such trivial matters?

Think of it as doing push-ups with one arm doing the majority of the lifting...and then alternating with the other arm doing most of the work...it must be that when horses lead with one leg, the other must somehow be doing a little less load pulling...such that if they fail to change leads, they begin to tire one half of their overall action...if they change leads then they can ease the fatigue...

also, the geometry of the turns is involved, which direction the race is running...I believe they lead with the left front on counter-clockwise turns and with the right on the straights...please someone correct me if I am wrong about this, as I am not a horseman and don’t know for sure...thanks.

woodbinepmi
08-08-2018, 09:43 PM
The horse puts most of it's weight on the lead leg while the other leg is there to stabilize his stride, the suitcase analogy is a very good one and was taught it myself when I was young. Was also told by one of our breeders that they usually learn it from their mothers when they are yearlings. It also can be a sign that there may be an issue that is starting to show it self if they all of a sudden they refuse to switch.
In my handicapping, I make notes of any runners who don't switch at the proper point in a race, and have found it more useful in using that info on beating short priced runners that do it habitually and especially if they are moving up in class.

Skanoochies
08-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Great question Thask, especially as I play the bull ring at Hastings quite
often where that might make a big difference.

thaskalos
08-08-2018, 09:48 PM
The lead that the horse starts running on...is it because of "training", or "personal preference"? Do the horses habitually start running on a particular lead because such a running style is instinctively better for them...just as a human starts on a particular "lead" when swimming freestyle? Do horses favor a particular side of their body...as humans do?

thaskalos
08-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Think of it as doing push-ups with one arm doing the majority of the lifting...and then alternating with the other arm doing most of the work...it must be that when horses lead with one leg, the other must somehow be doing a little less load pulling...such that if they fail to change leads, they begin to tire one half of their overall action...if they change leads then they can ease the fatigue...

also, the geometry of the turns is involved, which direction the race is running...I believe they lead with the left front on turns and with the right on the straights...please someone correct me if I am wrong about this, as I am not a horseman and don’t know for sure...thanks.

When you are swimming freestyle...how much more "work" is your lead arm doing in comparison to your OTHER arm? Will you swim faster if you "change leads" during the final lap?

ReplayRandall
08-08-2018, 09:55 PM
When you are swimming freestyle...how much more "work" is your lead arm doing in comparison to your OTHER arm? Will you swim faster if you "change leads" during the final lap?

Just curious Gus, what brought on the sudden fascination about how and why a horse changes leads?....You got a theory you'd like to share?...:popcorn:

VigorsTheGrey
08-08-2018, 10:03 PM

Good question. And it begs the “handedness factor”. ...a few folks are truly ambidextrous, but most of us are not...I’m not sure leading and handedness comes into play much for me when I swim freestyle, but it may for competition-level performers...

it could be that horses are “handed” like humans, meaning that one side may have more ability than the other, who knows, but if humans commonly are, it’s not necessarily irrational to entertain the fancy that other animals may also be fashioned as such...

thaskalos
08-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Just curious Gus, what brought on the sudden fascination about how and why a horse changes leads?....You got a theory you'd like to share?...:popcorn:

Actually, I do have a new handicapping theory that I might like to share. But to talk about it now would be a little premature...because I haven't fully worked it out yet. Stay tuned...:)

woodbinepmi
08-08-2018, 10:28 PM
The lead that the horse starts running on...is it because of "training", or "personal preference"? Do the horses habitually start running on a particular lead because such a running style is instinctively better for them...just as a human starts on a particular "lead" when swimming freestyle? Do horses favor a particular side of their body...as humans do?

Here in North America they run on their left lead in the turns and switch over when they straighten up, but if you watch in other parts of the world where they run clockwise it's the opposite and finish up on their left in the stretch. It looks a little odd until you get used to it.

Skanoochies
08-08-2018, 11:22 PM
When I was a youngster I went horseback riding and was told to always mount
from the horses left side. I always thought it was a joke. But it seems to me watching the paddock before the races, all jockeys seem to be given a hand up from the left side? Why is that?

Lemon Drop Husker
08-08-2018, 11:30 PM
from the horses left side. I always thought it was a joke. But it seems to me watching the paddock before the races, all jockeys seem to be given a hand up from the left side? Why is that?

Most people are right-handed/right-legged.

It is always natural to lead with your dominant hand/arm/leg, and thus has been carried down for decades (actually centuries) with horses and training and everything about it.

Skanoochies
08-08-2018, 11:34 PM
Right. But if most are right handed why is the proper way to mount a horse from the left, meaning you put your left foot into the stirrup to mount???

Lemon Drop Husker
08-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Right. But if most are right handed why is the proper way to mount a horse from the left, meaning you put your left foot into the stirrup to mount???

I'm a right/right person in which everything I do in sports, I'm a right lead.

What do I mean by that? When I step into a batters box, it is always my left first, but it is my right that powers it all and can hit it over the wall.

When I play golf, my left leg/arm is the base, but my right is the power to hit it 300+.

When I box, I jab and lead with the left, but my right is the power knockout punch.

The left is always the set up for the right.

Skanoochies
08-08-2018, 11:46 PM
I totally agree with that I am the same with base ball, football etc. That does not answer why you should mount a horse from the left side that is totally opposite from a right/right/ person.:confused:

Lemon Drop Husker
08-08-2018, 11:53 PM
I totally agree with that I am the same with base ball, football etc. That does not answer why you should mount a horse from the left side that is totally opposite from a right/right/ person.:confused:

How do you get on your bike/motorcycle?

Skanoochies
08-09-2018, 12:01 AM
I think we got off track here. This thread was about horses changing leads. My
thought is that because horses seem to not like being mounted from the right side, (show me when you last saw a horse being mounted from the right side) it may have something to do with not changing leads turning for home.

craigbraddick
08-09-2018, 01:44 AM
When calling races, I often note horses changing leads within 100 yards or so of the far turn. For some I almost think of it as part of their gearing down mechanism.

I am having lunch with a trainer this weekend at Arizona Downs. If anyone is interested I can ask them.

plainolebill
08-09-2018, 01:52 AM
How do you get on your bike/motorcycle?

Try getting on a motorcycle or a bicyle from the right when it's on the sidestand.

clicknow
08-09-2018, 04:59 AM
There is no doubt that being on the correct lead is more efficient; however, it may not be as comfortable for the horse, depending on his strength/conformation in different parts of body.

Just like people who over-compensate when our bodies are not properly aligned; human runners who pronate, have stronger leg on one side, have injuries, etc.

Why many good trainers employ chiropractors and acupunturists for their horses.

I have many inefficiencies in my walking and stride due to foot injuries, herniated discs and just age. Keeping it all working in a harmonious manner, plus proper body training, is very likely same things faced by equine athletes. One "part" gets weak or injured, the rest of the body mechanics is going to start compensating for that.

Correcting such things "during the ride" is not going to fix the underlying problem! If horse is "off" in back or front, or in feet or legs, that has to be corrected.

Tom
08-09-2018, 11:25 AM
I always bought the suitcase analogy.
Having walked through many an airport lugging a heavy bag, the switch was almost intoxicating at times.

Bit I will be damned if I can ever see a lead change in a race.

classhandicapper
08-09-2018, 01:48 PM
If you watch enough races and look for it you will see many examples of horses that were hanging or getting passed suddenly find a new gear, re-rally, and win once they changed leads. So it definitely matters.

The bigger question is whether there is any handicapping value in that information.

I don't have any data on that, but I can tell you that some horse don't change leads a lot of the time. So knowing it didn't in his last race may not matter for those.

Also, if the horse usually does but didn't last time, does that mean he's going to improve a length or so next time when he switches or does it mean he didn't switch because he has some physical problems on one side and his form is on the way down.

It's probably worth studying, but I've never seen anyone demonstrate it matters. Most people probably just make notes and assume they can use it profitably without actually knowing if it helps.

woodbinepmi
08-09-2018, 02:07 PM
I can remember my father screaming at the television at Alydar to change leads in the Belmont, might have cost him the Preakness and the Belmont that year.

Fager Fan
08-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Mounting horses from the left or “near” side goes way back to the days of men carrying swords on their left hips. Try mounting from the right or “off” side and you’ll find you’ll get entangled in or sit on your sword. So basically, it’s a matter of tradition, and at least for right handed people like myself, it simply feels right to mount from the left side.

Interestingly, it’s only in fairly recent years that we learned we somehow fell into choosing the correct side in which to mount, halter, bridle, and otherwise tinker with the horse. Studies have shown that the left eye of the horse has a stronger connection with the horse’s brain.

Other cultures however have a tradition of mounting on the off side, though that’s not nearly as predominant.

I don’t see how this has anything to do with changing leads. The lead leg does more pulling, so yes, switching leads gives the other leg a rest while using the rested leg to do most of the pulling. Teaching a horse to change leads is part of his early training.

VigorsTheGrey
08-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Mounting horses from the left or “near” side goes way back to the days of men carrying swords on their left hips. Try mounting from the right or “off” side and you’ll find you’ll get entangled in or sit on your sword. So basically, it’s a matter of tradition, and at least for right handed people like myself, it simply feels right to mount from the left side.

Interestingly, it’s only in fairly recent years that we learned we somehow fell into choosing the correct side in which to mount, halter, bridle, and otherwise tinker with the horse. Studies have shown that the left eye of the horse has a stronger connection with the horse’s brain.

Other cultures however have a tradition of mounting on the off side, though that’s not nearly as predominant.

I don’t see how this has anything to do with changing leads. The lead leg does more pulling, so yes, switching leads gives the other leg a rest while using the rested leg to do most of the pulling. Teaching a horse to change leads is part of his early training.

It also makes sense that a horse pull with the leg nearest the rail on turns, such that for races run counter- clockwise left leg leads, and for races run clockwise right leg leads, otherwise one can envision a horse sort of crossing over himself while pulling the shortest distance around turns...

bobphilo
08-09-2018, 08:44 PM

I agree. I know that in England the riders are not overly concerned whether their horse changes leads. I agree. If horse feels its getting tired on one lead then it will change leads on its own. If anything, yanking a horse around to try to get it to change leads before it thinks it needs to will likely mess up a horses action and do more harm than good.

bobphilo
08-09-2018, 09:02 PM

The practice of mounting a horse on the left traces back to the days when men carried swords and since most men are right handed they carried their sword on the left. It's less awkward to mount a horse from the left since mounting from the right would cause the sword to swing around. This becomes clear when you visualize both ways.
This has carried over to why the English drive on the left side of the road. You want to avoid mounting a horse from the traffic side. It continued when cars arrived through custom. I believe this was true in the early days of the automobile in the US but for some reason got reversed here.

Edit - Just noticed that Fager Fan gave the same answer. Hadn't read all the posts before answering. I think that most here agree that a horse changes leads gains some advantage. The bigger question is whether the horse knows itself when it needs to change or must be forced to. I trust the horse to know when one side is tiring.

bobphilo
08-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Now that we agree on why a horse changes leads it begs the question as to how this is handicapping factor. Given that a horse knows when it's time to change leads perhaps if a jockey interferes with this timing and actually detracts from a horses performance. Could this actually be an excuse for a poor performance?

castaway01
08-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Now that we agree on why a horse changes leads it begs the question as to how this is handicapping factor. Given that a horse knows when it's time to change leads perhaps if a jockey interferes with this timing and actually detracts from a horses performance. Could this actually be an excuse for a poor performance?

Not changing leads is definitely an excuse but not sure how you use it as a handicapping factor when you can't predict if it's going to happen---unless you just avoid betting horses that continually have trouble changing leads.

bobphilo
08-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Not changing leads is definitely an excuse but not sure how you use it as a handicapping factor when you can't predict if it's going to happen---unless you just avoid betting horses that continually have trouble changing leads.

I didn't mean that not changing leads is an excuse as the horse is the best judge as to if and when to do so. The only time it could be an excuse might be for a previous race if the jockey thought he knew more than the horse about how it felt on each lead and tried to force a lead change when the horse didn't want to. This could interfere with the horses' action and possibly be an excuse for poorer stretch performance in that race.

woodbinepmi
08-15-2018, 11:31 PM
Article from DerbyWars that came out the other day on the subject.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Lead_changes_in_horse_racing_What_you_need_to_know _123#

BIG49010
08-16-2018, 07:01 AM
Horses that don't change leads or are slow to change leads, quite often have an issue with a hock, knee or ankle in claiming races. Young horses it can be a show stopper, like poor conformation of some sort.

You do see a few that can run all day on wrong lead, but generally in this country it is a negative if they don't switch.

Fleur-de-lis
08-16-2018, 10:57 PM

Horses have a natural bend that in large part results from their being "curled up" while in the womb.

The lead taken is in large part due to that natural bend.

If a horse was perfectly straight in the spine and had equally developed muscles and bones then taking either lead would occur naturally.

However, no horse is perfectly straight nor do they travel perfectly straight. One leg will reach forward slightly more than the other, and, the weight is not perfectly distributed. The unequal distribution of weight and the way of going being influenced by that and the other factors will result in one hind leg reaching more towards the center line than the other. To see this, watch a horse going away from you in a straight line and you'll see the haunches slightly to one side.