PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Friday, July 27

Teach
07-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Race One:

:6: BANKIT. Game second-place finish one-month-ago down at Belmont against similar company. That race was won by Lexitonian (he finished 6th in Grade III Sanford) who came flying through an opening on the rail. This Speightstown-bred colt, I believe, catches a “softer” field. He should have the front-end to himself. That last race served as both a useful tightener and racing acclimator. Ricardo Santana, Jr. is in the irons for the “Hall of Fame” trainer from “The Streets of Laredo,” Steve Asmussen. Caveat emptor: This 2-year old should go off as the prohibitive favorite. Others: 4 Frosted Ice; 5 Bret’s Legacy; 8 Lumberer.

Race Two:

:7: HERA is shortening up…a tad. That may enhance this Katharos-bred chestnut filly’s chances. This 3-year old’s pilot, the Panamanian-born Senor Luis Saez, is a master at rating horses, especially on the grass. I look for this filly to urged top the top. It will then be up to Saez to ration out her speed. Derek Ryan trains. Others: 2 Radiant Beauty, 5 Sheputaspellonme; 4 Classic Lady.

Race Three:

:8: SOUTHEAST. This Sky Mesa-bred was claimed out of the Ian Wilkes barn in his most recent start. Two months later, he’s back in for a tag. I like his outside starting post. I believe it gives his jockey, El Dominicano, Joel Rosario, more options. Yes, he has been away from the races for several weeks; yet his morning works are reasonable. His current trainer, Bruce Brown, does very well with “shippers”. Others: 7 Hokulea; 1/1A, Engineer’s Report/Wegotoldyougotsold; 3 Ride On Faith.

Race Four:

:6: BELGIAN. This Candy Ride-bred shortens up a couple panels off his last effort. That just might be a prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. This Mike Maker-trainee has a favorable starting that suits his running style (he has won from this post in the past). Jose Ortiz has his feet in the stirrups. By the way, Mike Maker has an excellent record with horses that were beaten favorites. Others: 2 Shangroyal; 1 Canadian Flyer; 7 Mini Miles.

Race Five:

:1: CHARLIE McCOY. This state-bred colt just missed downstate at Belmont over one month ago. This colt was 15-1, then (you won’t get those odds, today). He has the services of “The Hall of Famer,” Johnny V. This chestnut colt looks like “the horse.” For good measure, he turned in a recent “bullet” work; he “drilled” 5 panels in a little over one minute at “Oklahoma”. Michelle Nevin trains and partially owns this Bluegrass Cat-bred offspring. Others: 5 Stoney Bennett; 11 Candy Zip; 9 Wrong Ben.

Race Six:

:3: OUT OF TROUBLE. This bay filly gets my nod in a highly competive race. Frankly, I have a lot of respect for jockey Luis Saez’s ability to put a horse on the front and then parcel out his speed; he’s a master at that. So, I’m casting my lot with this 4-year old Into Mischief-bred. Brad Cox trains. He does very well with turf starts. Others: 6 Table for Six; 2 Broken Border; 7 Vortex Road.

Race Seven:

:4: GLORY TO KITTEN. This chestnut mare has been on the bench “for the longest time”; yet she appears to hold a class-edge on these. This mare’s most recent morning works bolster confidence. Irad Ortiz, Jr. has the call for trainer Jorge Abreu. Others: 2 Bonita Springs; 10 Miss Aja Brown; 3 Saida.

Race Eight:

:4: UNCLE MOJO. This aptly-named Uncle Mo-bred colt should find “his mojo” in this field. Thios 4-yeare old was lasted spotted at Louisville’s Churchill Downs competing in the Grade I Stephen Foster. This cIndian Charlie-bred was in the lead in the early stages of the race, but then he faded to 5th. Well now, here at Saratoga, he’s in with the kind he should handle. The Carolina, Puerto Rico-born, John Velasquez, is in the irons for the trainer from “Big D” (“that spells Dallas where every home’s a palace.”), Todd Pletcher. Others: 2 Casses Story; 7 Flowers for Lisa; 5 Papa Shot.

Race Nine:

:1: HOFBURG. In the non-graded 100k Curlin at nine-panels on the main this horse sticks out like the proverbial “sore thumb”. This Tapit-bred was last seen finished 3rd (shy whip) in the Grade I Belmont Stakes. On paper, this looks like “a piece of cake”. Yet they must run the race. If the 3-year old performs anywhere near the way he ran in The Belmont, he can easily defeat this field. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride for Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott. Others: 3 Zing Zang; 5 American Lincoln; 2 Madison’s Luna.

Race Ten:

:11: WAPPINGER gets my nod in this state-bred sprint-race finale. This filly ran a game race on a sloppy track at Delaware Park to finished 2nd in a maiden-special; she now drops in for a tag. I believe this filly should be in contention from her outside starting post as the field turns for the top of stretch. If all goes well, she gets her picture taken. Jose Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Danny Gargan. Others: 3 Zecha; 4 Tequila Sunday; 9 Aly’s All Out.