PDA

View Full Version : The worst call in baseball history?

kingfin66
07-20-2018, 09:43 PM
This actually may be the worst call in baseball history. Fortunately, it was not MLB. I know that I can come off as an umpire apologist at times. I respect the difficulty of the work they do and know some of them personally from my days in the minor leagues. All that aside, I have no idea WTF this crew was doing. Have a look...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worst-blown-call-history-baseball-024126147.html

Dave Schwartz
07-21-2018, 12:47 AM
That is insane!

jay68802
07-21-2018, 02:59 AM
I really do not know what to say about that.

thaskalos
07-21-2018, 03:10 AM
The drug lord influence, perhaps?

jay68802
07-21-2018, 03:17 AM
The drug lord influence, perhaps?

Nope, blame it on Trump.

HalvOnHorseracing
07-23-2018, 06:08 PM
I was thinking it was going to be the safe call on the Armando Galaraga perfect game. But that missed swingwas the blindest call ever. No question a cartel guy was involved in influencing the umpires.

kingfin66
07-23-2018, 10:06 PM
It's too bad instant reply wasn't yet available on that day when Galarraga threw his one hitter. I wonder what ever happened to him. Jim Joyce has retired from umpiring.

MutuelClerk
07-24-2018, 06:42 PM
One of the worst calls ever happened thirty five years ago today. Pine Tar game and George Brett going maniacal. Man I'm getting old.

cj
07-24-2018, 07:17 PM
One of the worst calls ever happened thirty five years ago today. Pine Tar game and George Brett going maniacal. Man I'm getting old.

I'm still not sure how it was reversed. He clearly was too high with the pine tar.

kingfin66
07-24-2018, 11:46 PM
That was quite a circus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident

In the end, I think that MLB despised George Steinbrenner and hated Billy Martin. The explanation of the ruling was ridiculous. The Yankees pulled out all the stops and eventually had to finish the game.

Actor/director David Koechner actually made a mocumentary about incident entitled, The Pine Tar Incident: Making of Tar Wars.

oughtoh
07-25-2018, 01:02 AM
After watching that video, don't think I will get mad at stewards at the racetrack anymore. Well that isn't going to happen either. I have never seen anything like that.

Marshall Bennett
07-25-2018, 09:00 AM
I believe the 1st base ump had to be looking elsewhere and not paying attention as the batter swung. Then when asked to make a decision he was on the spot to make a call, and chose the wrong one. Obviously he assumed, as with nearly all cases, it was close as to whether he swung or not. Rather than admit he wasn't watching, he chose to make a call. Not to do so would obviously mean we wasn't paying attention.

dnlgfnk
07-25-2018, 10:31 AM
It's too bad instant reply wasn't yet available on that day when Galarraga threw his one hitter. I wonder what ever happened to him. Jim Joyce has retired from umpiring.

Galarraga was part of the "slider group" who threw an inordinate amount of sliders and tended toward injury. He ranked second among his contemporaries in pct. of sliders thrown, and drifted to the Mexican league, flaming out in '13.

My vote is for Denkinger/ '85 World series...pay no attention to my "location".

kingfin66
07-25-2018, 10:31 PM
That was definitely a bad call, but I don't know that it the worst. It was definitely much more bang-bang and, of course, it was on the biggest stage.