PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ycaza

TJC
07-19-2018, 01:00 PM
I don't know if this has been reported before, but Hall of Fame jockey Manny Ycaza has died at the age of 80.

I always thought he was one of the best riders on the NY circuit for many years.

TJC

pandy
07-19-2018, 03:25 PM
I don't know if this has been reported before, but Hall of Fame jockey Manny Ycaza has died at the age of 80.

I always thought he was one of the best riders on the NY circuit for many years.

TJC

In 1977 he tried harness racing, but it didn't work out.

Tape Reader
07-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Manny Ycaza was DQed frequently. My friends system was to play him the next race. It often payed off.

There was a famous full page picture in the old NY Mirror of Manny elbowing the jockey next to him at the finish in the Preakness. And Manny claimed foul.

I think the caption was: Who fouled who?

I think the horse was Never Bend, Cain Hoy stables. FROM MEMORY!

bobphilo
07-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Manny Ycaza was DQed frequently. My friends system was to play him the next race. It often payed off.

There was a famous full page picture in the old NY Mirror of Manny elbowing the jockey next to him at the finish in the Preakness. And Manny claimed foul.

I think the caption was: Who fouled who?

I think the horse was Never Bend, Cain Hoy stables. FROM MEMORY!

I remember that race. When asked for comment Manny explained, "He puushed, I puushed". What a character.

saevena
07-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Ycaza was a great rider, but his worst riding day was probably the day he rode Dr. Fager at Garden State in, I believe, the Jersey Derby. It was a 4 horse field and, believe it or not, show betting was allowed on the race. Dr. Fager broke from the outside and Ycaza crowded the field at the first turn, easily winning the race by 6 lengths. Unfortunately, Dr. Fager was disqualified and placed 4th. I recall reading in a local paper that one bettor had placed $10,000 to Show on Dr. Fager. When the result was announced, the bettor had a heart attack. There sure ain't no such thing as a sure thing in horse racing.

TheOracle
07-29-2018, 06:57 PM

TJC

He was from Panama, many great riders from there he will be missed