PDA

View Full Version : Scat Daddy question

Immortal6
07-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Can't believe I never inquired about this during the triple crown races but I finally googled him and saw that he never ran after the Kentucky Derby in '07..... which would make him 14 years old... why are we just now seeing some of his progeny have so much success? I'm assuming he retired due to injury?

If anyone would care to give me some more background info on him I'd appreciate a little lesson in history and what makes him such a popular sire leading up to this year. Thanks

the little guy
07-10-2018, 07:00 PM
He's not 14 years old. He's deceased.

Immortal6
07-10-2018, 07:04 PM
He's not 14 years old. He's deceased.

Oof I think I knew that but I was checking equibase looking at his old race charts and didn't even consider that. Whoops

Edit: and now looking at a full list of his progeny I can see why his final year at stud they were asking a $100,000 stud fee. In the years prior it was in the $25-35,000 range. Sorry for starting a thread when I could have answered my own question by googling better haha.

Someday Silent
07-12-2018, 07:31 PM
Can't believe I never inquired about this during the triple crown races but I finally googled him and saw that he never ran after the Kentucky Derby in '07..... which would make him 14 years old... why are we just now seeing some of his progeny have so much success? I'm assuming he retired due to injury?

If anyone would care to give me some more background info on him I'd appreciate a little lesson in history and what makes him such a popular sire leading up to this year. Thanks

I read an article on Scat Daddy a few months back (can't remember where I saw it but I'll try to track it down and post a link) that said Scat Daddy was actually injured in the '07 Derby. From what I recall, another horse stepped on him and caused a tendon injury, which was the main reason why he finished 17th or 18th and then was retired.