PDA

View Full Version : Hitman Kerry?..VVAW scandal re-opened

ElKabong
09-03-2004, 03:44 PM
I recall this fairly well, looks like they're going to revisit it. The VVAW planned assasinations of US congressmen. Kerry was a leader of the group.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/04/11/wkerry11.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/04/11/ixnewstop.html

Theft of FBI files 'has makings of Kerry Watergate'
By Julian Coman in Washington
(Filed: 11/04/2004)

It has, according to the victim of a burglary in California, all the makings of a "west coast Watergate".

When Gerald Nicosia, a respected author and historian, returned to his home in the town of Corte Madera on March 25, it became clear that he had been the victim of an unusual break-in. Doors were ajar and there was evidence of a hurried departure, but no valuables had been taken: a Canon camera was still lying on the kitchen table.

The only items missing, Mr Nicosia realised, were three box files of politically-charged documents. They looked unexceptional but were filled with FBI surveillance records on a Vietnam veteran and anti-war activist by the name of John Kerry.

Mr Nicosia believes that the burglars were seeking papers that link Senator Kerry - the Democratic presidential candidate - to a controversial meeting of anti-Vietnam War activists in the early 1970s, at which a proposal to assassinate US congressmen was discussed.

"I think this was a political burglary," said Mr Nicosia, whose archives on Mr Kerry have been featured on national television. "It could have been a souvenir-hunter, but I think that's implausible. Whoever did this wanted to know something about John Kerry."

Although Senator Kerry has always denied attending the meeting in Kansas City, the FBI records stated otherwise. As a Democrat himself, Mr Nicosia felt that he should warn the Kerry campaign about his discovery. "I told the Kerry campaign that they could not continue to deny that Kerry was there," he said.

The senator's distinguished Vietnam record had become a prime focus of the presidential campaign. While supporters compared it to President Bush's unheroic stint in the National Guard, critics also pointed to the anti-war protests he led on returning from action in the Mekong Delta.

Within days of the tip-off, Kerry aides arrived in Corte Madera, just north of San Franciso, to collect photocopies of the 1971 document. Mr Nicosia believes that his discovery was also what later lured burglars to his home. "My hunch is that Republicans did this," he said last week. "I was co-operating with the Democrats. I warned them about what I had found and opened it up to them."

For their part, Republicans believe that the documents may have been stolen by Democrats anxious to avoid a scandal over the assassination meeting. Pat Buchanan, the former Republican presidential candidate, said: "What I smell is that John Kerry has not told the whole truth about his relationship with the Vietnam Veterans Against the War [VVAW]. I think he's not been forthcoming about that Kansas City meeting."

The FBI's monitoring reports on Mr Kerry from the early 1970s, which were studied in the Nixon White House, are a severe embarrassment for a would-be president. Mr Nicosia's papers seem set to spark the latest controversy in an increasingly bitter presidential campaign: so far, more than 300 journalists have requested access to his files.

The author had requested the FBI records under the US Freedom of Information Act while researching Home to War, a book about the Vietnam anti-movement. For 11 years, the FBI dragged its feet; by the time 20,000 pages arrived from the organisation in 1998, Mr Nicosia had finished most of his work on the book. "They put all kinds of obstacles in my way," he said last week. "They said they hadn't got the manpower to collect them, that they weren't properly categorised and so on."

He stored the 14 box files in his garage, not bothering to examine them in detail until earlier this year, when Mr Kerry's Vietnam record suddenly came under renewed scrutiny.

Combing through the papers, Mr Nicosia found the startling document, dating from November 1971. It said that Mr Kerry took part in the VVAW meeting in Kansas, at which the assassination of pro-war senators was openly discussed before being rejected as a tactic.

Campaign aides have repeatedly denied that Mr Kerry attended the Kansas meeting, claiming that the senator left the VVAW in July 1971. Other VVAW members have offered conflicting accounts. Randy Barnes, the organiser of the Kansas City chapter, initially said that Mr Kerry did attend, but later claimed that he may have confused the Kansas meeting with one in St Louis.

"Senator Kerry does not remember attending the Kansas City meeting," said a Kerry campaign spokesman. Yet aides now acknowledge that the FBI records indicate that he was, indeed, present.

Mr Nicosia, it appears, had stumbled on the truth - which is more than the burglars managed to do. Despite rifling through most of the historian's papers, and removing three box files, they failed to find the Kansas documents.

"They were still up by the photocopier," Mr Nicosia said, "away from the rest of the boxes. The three files that were taken were from 1976 to 1977, and the burglars also took bookmarked sheaves of files which were lying on the kitchen table. But I think they were disturbed as they were looking through the material. There is a dobermann next door with a very loud bark."

Local police officers are still investigating the break-in, which they are treating as a burglary, and have refused to comment on the case. The Kerry campaign has also refused to comment. "I think they are afraid of stirring up the whole Kansas debate," Mr Nicosia said.

ElKabong
09-03-2004, 03:53 PM
http://oregonmag.com/KerryVVAWPlot.htm

Did Kerry Quit VVAW Before or After the Assassination Vote? By THOMAS H. LIPSCOMB

Part One (Originally published in the NY Sun around March 11th)

The anti-war group that John Kerry was the principal spokesman for debated and voted on a plot to assassinate politicians who supported the Vietnam War.

Mr. Kerry denies being present at the November 12-15, 1971, meeting in Kansas City of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, and says he quit the group before the meeting. But according to the current head of Missouri Veterans for Kerry, Randy Barnes, Mr. Kerry,who was then 27,was at the meeting, voted against the plot, and then orally resigned from the organization.

Mr. Barnes was present as part of the Kansas City host chapter for the 1971 meeting and recounted the incident in a phone interview with The New York Sun this week. In addition to Mr. Barnes’s recollection placing Mr. Kerry at the Kansas City meeting, another Vietnam veteran who attended the meeting, Terry Du-Bose, said that Mr. Kerry was there.

There are at least two other independent corroborations that the antiwar group Vietnam Veterans Against the War, of which Mr. Kerry was the most prominent national spokesman, considered assassinating American political leaders who favored the war.

Gerald Nicosia’s 2001 book “Home To War” reports that one of the key leaders of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Scott Camil,“proposed the assassination of the most hard-core conservative members of Congress,as well as any other powerful, intractable opponents of the antiwar movement.”The book reports on the Kansas City meeting at which Mr.Camil’s plan was debated and then voted down.

----snip----

ElKabong
09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I should have pasted this chilling quote below from a Kerry VVAW associate....I don't think Johnny wants to play hardball that bad ;)

“My plan was that, on the last day we would go into the [congressional] offices we would schedule the most hardcore hawks for last — and we would shoot them all,” Mr. Camil told the Oral History interviewer. “I was serious.”

In a phone interview with the Sun this week, Mr. Camil did not dispute either the account in the Nicosia book or in the oral history.He said he plans to accept an offer by the Florida Kerry organization to become active in Mr. Kerry’s presidential campaign. Campaign aides to Mr. Kerry invited Mr.Camil to a meeting for the senator in Orlando last week, but they did not meet directly.

Mr. Camil was known to colleagues in the anti-war movement as “Scott the Assassin.” Mr. Camil told The New York Sun he got the name in Vietnam for “sneaking down to the Vietnamese villages at night and killing people.”

According to the Nicosia book and interviews with VVAW members who were involved, at theVietnamVeterans Against the War Kansas City leadership conference, Mr. Camil tried to put his plan into effect. He called together eight to 10 Marines to organize something he called “The Phoenix Project.” The original Phoenix Project during the Vietnam War was an attempt to destroy the Viet Cong leadership by assassination. Mr. Camil’s Phoenix Project planned to execute the Southern senatorial leadership that was financing the Vietnam War. Senators like John Stennis, Strom Thurmond, and John Tower were his targets, according to Mr. Camil. They were to be killed during the Senate Christmas recess the following month.

PaceAdvantage
09-03-2004, 05:48 PM
This guy shouldn't even be on the ballot if he was associated with any of this stuff.

JustRalph
09-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
This guy shouldn't even be on the ballot if he was associated with any of this stuff.

He admits it........he even says he was the one that talked them out of it.

I dare anybody to sit around a room today and plan the assasination of a U.S. Government official ........they will lock your ass up for 30 years................. but not John Kerry..........he got away with it...........it's called conspiracy to commit murder.........

Tom
09-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
He admits it........he even says he was the one that talked them out of it.

I dare anybody to sit around a room today and plan the assasination of a U.S. Government official ........they will lock your ass up for 30 years................. but not John Kerry..........he got away with it...........it's called conspiracy to commit murder.........

From listening to his speeches, he is planning on murdering the United States.

Secretariat
09-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Shades of the Vince Foster scandal....you guys are unbeleivable. Turn off Rush once in awhile and allow your brain to recover.

Tom
09-03-2004, 10:41 PM
But Sec, there's a link! A URL!
Doesn't that make it official?:D

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Secretariat
Shades of the Vince Foster scandal....you guys are unbeleivable. Turn off Rush once in awhile and allow your brain to recover.

I don't listen to Rush....I think in my entire 35 years on this Planet, I've listened to maybe an hour total of Rush Limbaugh's show....if that much.....

ElKabong
09-04-2004, 03:46 AM
Poor Sec. I don't listen to Rush or O'reilly.

Here, Sec. Here's a coupla FBI docs (linked) for you to look over. It appears that not only the FBI saw him as "an opportunist" with political ambitions, but his fellow VVAW members thought of him that way as well....Why are you so slow to catch on?

check the 2nd and 3rd documents, sec.

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/john_kerry.html

ElKabong
09-04-2004, 04:00 AM
Still not convinced, Sec??? OK, here ya go. Another Kerry FBI link...

Document# 1 (scroll down) 2nd paragraph covers the 'Phoenix Operation' where they would kidnap/ kill a US senator or official.....Document #3 outlines a plan to kill VVAW leader Hubbard and Birch, apparently the membership of the VVAW didn't like their leadership.

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/vvaw.html

Nice bunch Kerry ran around with in those day, Sec. A true patriot, LOL.

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2004, 02:59 PM
I do watch O'Reiley when I get a chance these days....

ElKabong
09-09-2004, 09:34 AM
http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/staticpages/index.php?page=20040518192545112

Thanks to the FOIA, here's over 21,000 pages of FBI files on the VVAW contained in the above link....The paperlessarchives.com links I put up in this thread are the best I've seen so far, these just expand on them.