PDA

View Full Version : XP Service Pack 2

paulc
09-03-2004, 02:51 PM
For any of you distributing software... or users installing software... that is created to install from .cab files (which are actually compressed zip files), you may run into a problem when users have loaded Microsoft's latest "brain cramp" aka Service Pack 2.

SP2 sets a default option to not allow decompressing zip files from CD... an option that can be changed by going into the Internet Explorer, then choosing Advanced Internet Options, then allowing the files to be changed.

I'll admit right here that I don't have the exact terminology on this - I prefer to rely on my firewall and AV software until I know that Microsoft has the bugs all worked out. But if anyone has Service Pack 2 installed, perhaps they can give us the exact details.

Alc
09-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Had the problem . Resolved as follows: Settings-Internet Options-Advanced-Security- "Allow active content from cd's to run on my computer"

Myhorse1_X
09-04-2004, 08:08 AM
I installed the update to Microsoft for Windows XP Home and had a lot of trouble with it.

For some strange reason, after installation Windows did not recognize my USP ports. I called Microsoft and spent about 3 hours on the phone with them and they could not get it fixed.

The only suggestion they had was to go to "Ad and Remove Software", and delete the upgrade. I did just that and rebooted and everything started to work again.

I still don't know what the problem was and evidently MS does not either.

MyHorse1