PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods

lansdale
07-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Not a bad weekend for Woods, tied for fourth as part of a field that was destroyed by a standout final round by Francesco Molinari. New putter appears to be helping.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/leaderboard/pga-tour/1186097/quicken-loans-national

letswastemoney
07-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Whatever he had before mentally is missing. And I say this as a huge Tiger Woods fan.

AndyC
07-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Not a bad weekend for Woods, tied for fourth as part of a field that was destroyed by a standout final round by Francesco Molinari. New putter appears to be helping.

The putter was better overall but he seemed to miss the important putts as his pattern has been this year.

lansdale
07-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Tiger three strokes off the lead heading into the last round of the British Open. This looks to be about the best he's played yet.

lansdale
07-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Tiger three strokes off the lead heading into the last round of the British Open. This looks to be about the best he's played yet.

Tiger four back.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Tiger four back.

Thought for sure he'd be 5+ back when he finished yesterday.

Not without a chance, but needs to play lights out. Haven't seen him do that in a while obviously.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Looking at his first few full swings though...., he is ready to play again today. :headbanger:

rastajenk
07-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Bunker shot on 10 just now might be a most serious game changer. Everyone else (except the cool Molinari) is paying for their mistakes.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-22-2018, 11:47 AM
Bunker shot on 10 just now might be a most serious game changer. Everyone else (except the cool Molinari) is paying for their mistakes.

Not many dudes on the planet could hit that shot. Amazing.

And that is why I love watching Tiger play. :popcorn:

rastajenk
07-22-2018, 12:20 PM
May have commented too soon, though. Pretty crazy leaderboard.

horses4courses
07-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Tiger Woods proved myself and quite a few others wrong this weekend.
Looks likely that he won't win the 2018 Open C'ship, but just being in
contention at this stage proves he still has game.

Too early to write him off completely.

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2018, 01:41 PM
I have never been a golfer yet find myself somewhat invested in Tiger's success.

Very exciting final round today.

Molinari was amazing.

lansdale
07-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Tough break on the 11th for Tiger -- still some amazing shots and a continually improving performance. Now that he appears to be back I guess I am officially a golf fan.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Tough break on the 11th for Tiger -- still some amazing shots and a continually improving performance. Now that he appears to be back I guess I am officially a golf fan.

Not sure he'll ever be "back". I mean, at least not to the level he played at before.

He is an amazing player with supreme focus, ability, and want to.

I just love watching him play. His mannerisms. His focus. His ability to commit to each and every shot. His imagination, and then pure will to pull off greatness time and time again.

I grew up loving Nicklaus. I still have an autographed booklet when he visited Omaha, NE back in 1975. I grew up wanting to be Jack.

Tiger is just better. Hard to explain, but he is so incredible to watch when he plays.

rastajenk
07-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Where I watched it (on a backside), EVERYBODY that walked by asked, "How's Tiger doing?" Grooms, trainers, stewards....NOBODY asked "Is Spieth still up?" "Where's Rory?" "Who's Xander?" "Where's Phil?" They just wanted to know about Tiger. The only thing mildly surprising was the absolute unanimity in the interest in Woods. I almost wished for their sake, as not-totally-dedicated golf observers, that he had won.

And while I appreciate the way Molinari moved around the course, I wish he had, too.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-22-2018, 10:56 PM
Where I watched it (on a backside), EVERYBODY that walked by asked, "How's Tiger doing?" Grooms, trainers, stewards....NOBODY asked "Is Spieth still up?" "Where's Rory?" "Who's Xander?" "Where's Phil?" They just wanted to know about Tiger. The only thing mildly surprising was the absolute unanimity in the interest in Woods. I almost wished for their sake, as not-totally-dedicated golf observers, that he had won.

And while I appreciate the way Molinari moved around the course, I wish he had, too.

Tiger carries an unimaginable banner. The hopes, dreams, and expectations are off the charts.

I think that is what is most amazing about him. Other players that play with him get engulfed and can't handle it. And that is a single round. Tiger has dealt with it since he ripped the Masters in 1997.

He plays in a fishbowl every round he plays. He is critiqued on how he tees his ball, and whether he hits a Driver or an iron off the tee.

The guy can't even take a piss without a camera hovering over him.

ReplayRandall
07-22-2018, 11:03 PM
What's it been, 10 years since he last won a major?

Did Tiger get his "soul" back yet?.....Think not.

Until he does, not much to talk about IMO.

NJ Stinks
07-22-2018, 11:19 PM

I'm not on the Tiger train. In fact, as soon as he teed off today I knew NBC was going to get lost in the Woods.

Maybe this is apples and oranges but just because people may of heard of Justify doesn't mean I hope Justify wins every race. In fact, I much prefer to see a field full of colts compete and contend with Justify every time out.

An Italian won a major for the first time ever today. That is a great outcome for professional golf IMO.

rastajenk
07-23-2018, 07:22 AM
I can't disagree, Stinks. Plus he'll be a powerful addition to the Ryder Cup team.

incoming
07-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Mr Woods was the best golfer ever by a very wide margin......back in the day.

All of today's elite golfers advantages evaporate at courses less than 7500 yards, then the target golfers usually take control, improvement in today's equipment being the main cause.

AndyC
07-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Mr Woods was the best golfer ever by a very wide margin......back in the day.

All of today's elite golfers advantages evaporate at courses less than 7500 yards, then the target golfers usually take control, improvement in today's equipment being the main cause.

Who would you call a target golfer? Dustin Johnson? Justin Thomas? Jason Day? Bubba Watson? Patrick Reed? Rory McIlroy? Jon Rahm? Brooks Koepka? Jordan Spieth? Rickie Fowler?

Are you suggesting that Molinari is a target golfer? If so, wouldn't you have expected that he be near the top in hitting fairways? He was only able to hit 26 of 60 fairways good for 127th in the field.

incoming
07-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Who would you call a target golfer? Dustin Johnson? Justin Thomas? Jason Day? Bubba Watson? Patrick Reed? Rory McIlroy? Jon Rahm? Brooks Koepka? Jordan Spieth? Rickie Fowler?

Are you suggesting that Molinari is a target golfer? If so, wouldn't you have expected that he be near the top in hitting fairways? He was only able to hit 26 of 60 fairways good for 127th in the field.

I would put both Spieth and Fowler in the 'target' group and give them the advantage on shorter courses.

Yes, Molinari is certainly a target golfer. I think at Carnoustie just off of the fairway the rough was not that bad and in most cases you would have a short club in your hands. Being on the proper side of the fairway was more important than being in the fairway.

My definition of a target golfer...... Tee2green and approach stats would be a little sharper.

highnote
07-25-2018, 02:16 AM
That was the first golf match I've watched in years and it was because of Woods. It was interesting learning about and watching the other big name golfers, but if not for Woods, I would have been watching more of the NASCAR broadcast.

FakeNameChanged
07-25-2018, 07:16 AM
That was the first golf match I've watched in years and it was because of Woods. It was interesting learning about and watching the other big name golfers, but if not for Woods, I would have been watching more of the NASCAR broadcast.
I have to admit to doing the same as above. Never considered myself a fan of Woods, but my Dad was a huge fan of Tiger and Sam Snead. Talk about different generations. I have probably rooted against him prior to his "accident" and physical problems. Now I find myself rooting for him to win again as a comeback story. I went into Sunday hoping Molinari would win(new guy to a major) and was glad it turned out that way.

incoming
07-25-2018, 07:31 AM

Mr Woods, personally, picked golf up and easily quadrupled the interest in golf in his hay days. At the golf club that I frequently played at back in the day golf lessons attendance exploded, especially kids. Golf owes Mr Woods tons.

Just look at all of the young talent that now occupies the PGA, these are all Tiger Woods prodigies. :popcorn::popcorn:

TJDave
07-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Mr Woods, personally, picked golf up and easily quadrupled the interest in golf in his hay days.

Tiger used to be a vegetarian?

letswastemoney
08-03-2018, 12:22 AM
Well, I'll make a bold prediction.

Tiger is at his beloved Firestone without back pain, and the swing is good. This is the week Tiger Woods WINS.

If he doesn't win here at a course he loves, I doubt he will do it in the remaining 2018 events.

incoming
08-03-2018, 01:50 AM
Tiger used to be a vegetarian?
You mean....you didn't know :)

incoming
08-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Well, I'll make a bold prediction.

Tiger is at his beloved Firestone without back pain, and the swing is good. This is the week Tiger Woods WINS.

If he doesn't win here at a course he loves, I doubt he will do it in the remaining 2018 events.

already 4 strokes back....and 20 very good player between him and the lead.....I wish him well :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

AndyC
08-03-2018, 10:27 AM
already 4 strokes back....and 20 very good player between him and the lead.....I wish him well :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

It's hard to have 20 players between him and the lead when he ended the day in 14th place.

incoming
08-03-2018, 11:33 AM
It's hard to have 20 players between him and the lead when he ended the day in 14th place.

Of course, you are right. Counting ties there are only 19.:)

I give 40 players a chance to still win the very prestigious trophy, out of a field of 70 something. Tiger better cut in the afterburners to have a chance........I have eaten crow again.......again.......and again. It's not bad but I still hate it. ;)

AndyC
08-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Of course, you are right. Counting ties there are only 19.:)

I give 40 players a chance to still win the very prestigious trophy, out of a field of 70 something. Tiger better cut in the afterburners to have a chance........I have eaten crow again.......again.......and again. It's not bad but I still hate it. ;)

If Tiger can just maintain the same pace he will be well positioned for a run on Sunday. If he is at -12 after 3 rounds he should be top 5.

letswastemoney
08-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Everyone is saying Tiger is hurt. What a terrible week for him.

PhantomOnTour
08-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Maybe next week ;)

letswastemoney
08-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Maybe next week ;) Maybe.

lansdale
08-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Tough weekend for Tiger. What may make matters worse is that his play was repeating a pattern from recent years when he was still dealing with back pain -- two good opening rounds, followed by two really bad ones. This hasn't been the case this year, where the third round has usually been hist best. Hope this isn't a sign that his back is again causing problems -- he still says he has no pain.

ReplayRandall
08-05-2018, 09:48 PM
What's it been, 10 years since he last won a major?

Did Tiger get his "soul" back yet?.....Think not.

Until he does, not much to talk about IMO.

To the person who gave me a "neg rep" for this post.....I'm doubling down after his crash and burn at his "favorite course".....#WINNING

lansdale
08-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Tiger has played pretty well at the PGA, but four off the lead looks like a bridge too far for Sunday. He'd have to shoot a 63 or thereabouts to have any real chance of a win. Many journalists saying the crowds at Belle Rive are the biggest golf crowds they've ever seen -- if Tiger can stay competitive tomorrow, they should be even bigger.

Grits
08-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Tiger has played pretty well at the PGA, but four off the lead looks like a bridge too far for Sunday. He'd have to shoot a 63 or thereabouts to have any real chance of a win. Many journalists saying the crowds at Belle Rive are the biggest golf crowds they've ever seen -- if Tiger can stay competitive tomorrow, they should be even bigger.

And, he DID stay competitive!! :)

MutuelClerk
08-12-2018, 07:41 PM
That was fun!!!!! Congrats Tiger. Stay healthy. Most of the players buckled when you charged, except a well deserved winner.

Don't really care much for the contrived NASCAR golf playoffs but I will be watching the Ryder Cup and how can Tiger NOT be on the team? HE'd make the team if he was healthy just because he's Tiger. But the way he;s played in the last two majors he's a lock.

Next year could really be cool. These last two majors have hopefully woken Tiger up from his slumber. I didn't see him ever winning a major again. I hope i'm wrong because it looks like Tiger is on the prowl again. Well done Eldrick. Today was a lot of fun, thank you.......

anotherCAfan
08-12-2018, 07:44 PM
I like Tiger's chances at the majors next year (Augusta for sure, Bethpage of course, Pebble Beach for sure, and why not Royal Portrush).

He is going to clean Phil's clock in the winner-take-all game they have tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend.

Dave Schwartz
08-12-2018, 09:50 PM
You guys got me all fired up to watch today. He really took a run at them until that 15th hole.

I keep thinking that if he could just do something that he felt was like the old Tiger it would bring him back. Maybe something like holing an eagle on a par 5.

But he does seem to be getting closer.

headhawg
08-12-2018, 10:10 PM
He is going to clean Phil's clock in the winner-take-all game they have tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend.Fail to understand all the love for Tiger. He was a tool when he dominated, and now that he doesn't? Well, he's still a tool so I guess he's got that going for him.

Phil vs Tiger. :sleeping: What's next? Barkley vs. Jordan playing 1-on-1? Or maybe HORSE? It's marketing genius sure, but puhleeze...both guys are waaay past their prime.

lansdale
08-13-2018, 12:37 AM
An impressive final round from Tiger, despite the loss. I posted that he'd need a 63 or so to have a shot today and he came close with a 64. Props to Koepka for handling the pressure. I've read a number of different opinions over the past few months over whether Tiger could come back or actually is back. I don't know how meaningful this all is -- what's done is done. As Thaskalos' distant relative, Heraclitus once said, 'You can't step into the same river twice'.

But FWIW, Tiger's finish today was his best in a major since 2009. He and Jordan Spieth are the current co-favorites for the 2019 Masters. I don't know if that's 'back', but it ain't bad for a supposedly washed-up golfer.

lansdale
08-13-2018, 12:52 AM
And, he DID stay competitive!! :)

....and the crowds *were* huge -- apparently many millenials even climbing trees to get a look at someone they had heard much about but never seen.

incoming
08-13-2018, 01:07 AM
Congrats to the 'Tiger Man' for a well deserved second. I give him credit for a well fought come from behind charge. Back in the day he was known as a great front runner. At the end of the third round, he generally already had a very big lead. A record that he owns that will never ever be broken, over 24% win rate in all of his professional career. My hat is off for the best ever golfer.

MutuelClerk
08-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Congrats to the 'Tiger Man' for a well deserved second. I give him credit for a well fought come from behind charge. Back in the day he was known as a great front runner. At the end of the third round, he generally already had a very big lead. A record that he owns that will never ever be broken, over 24% win rate in all of his professional career. My hat is off for the best ever golfer.

Jack Nicklaus???

tucker6
08-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Jack Nicklaus???

Not even close and I'm a huge Nicklaus fan. On his best day, Tiger was head and shoulders better than Jack. Completely fearsome.

Marshall Bennett
08-13-2018, 12:12 PM
He's withstood all the personal and physical problems and shows signs of his former self. He's not that young anymore either.
I always felt he'd do well again, he was just too damn good not to. He's far from being the best, but even his haters should be impressed.

horses4courses
08-13-2018, 03:40 PM
To be at the absolute pinnacle of golf - one of the greats of the game - then to sink as low as he did,
you really have to admire his perseverance and tenacity.
Modern golf is a more interesting spectacle when's he's in contention.

This sets up a terrific Ryder Cup this year.
He has to be a wild card selection without a doubt.
Jim Furyk won't commit to it yet.
I'd hate to be him if he doesn't pick Tiger.

PhantomOnTour
08-14-2018, 12:36 AM
I've been one of his biggest detractors.
I give him credit...did not think he would return to this level of play. These young guys are sharks and he did very well to keep up with them.

tucker6
08-14-2018, 08:58 AM
To be at the absolute pinnacle of golf - one of the greats of the game - then to sink as low as he did,
you really have to admire his perseverance and tenacity.
Modern golf is a more interesting spectacle when's he's in contention.

This sets up a terrific Ryder Cup this year.
He has to be a wild card selection without a doubt.
Jim Furyk won't commit to it yet.
I'd hate to be him if he doesn't pick Tiger.

Not a chance that Furyk doesn't select Tiger. He and Mickelson are both shoo-ins for selection.

MutuelClerk
08-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Not even close and I'm a huge Nicklaus fan. On his best day, Tiger was head and shoulders better than Jack. Completely fearsome.

Agree, it's not close. Jack was better. Tiger was more dominant in a shorter career span. Majors tell the story. Look at how many Jack won and how many times he was second. I believe he played against better competition also. And I respect the hell out of Tiger's career. Just think Jack was better.

tucker6
08-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Agree, it's not close. Jack was better. Tiger was more dominant in a shorter career span. Majors tell the story. Look at how many Jack won and how many times he was second. I believe he played against better competition also. And I respect the hell out of Tiger's career. Just think Jack was better.
We'll agree to disagree. Tiger's 24% winning percentage day in and day out against more and better international players than what was present in Jack's day tell the tale. Majors won is one measurement, but when you take a look at the depth of quality in tournament fields, it doesn't measure up at all. I'm a big Jack fan, but I'm not blind either.

Marshall Bennett
08-14-2018, 12:15 PM
I find it hard to compare the two. The eras they played were so different. Particularly the equipment and courses. Strategy of play differed a lot.
Its almost like comparing quarterbacks of today and 50 years ago.

AndyC
08-14-2018, 02:58 PM

If you base your analysis strictly on major wins then JN is the leader.

What shorter career span do you refer to? At 40 years old, Tiger had won 79 times and Jack had won 70 times. Jack wasn't much of a threat after 40 outside of the unforgettable 1986 Masters. Jack wasn't even close to the win percentage Tiger achieved.

As for competition, Jack never had to face what Tiger has faced. It was rare to see a large contingent of foreign players at a PGA event when Jack played. Tiger faced the best not only in the majors but also in the WGC events. There were far more people and athletes playing golf in the last 20 years than when Jack played. Teaching technology is vastly superior now. The Web.com tour could not have existed back in Jack's day for lack of quality players.

AndyC
08-14-2018, 03:06 PM
I find it hard to compare the two. The eras they played were so different. Particularly the equipment and courses. Strategy of play differed a lot.
Its almost like comparing quarterbacks of today and 50 years ago.

I think comparisons can be done based on relative dominance. When one player wins at a 25% clip and another at a 17% clip I think that is a significant difference. Players winning at a 3% clip for a lifetime are usually found in the HOF.

Despite changes in equipment, courses, etc. long hitters dominated in Jack's day as much as they do today.

upthecreek
08-27-2018, 12:42 PM
https://ilovemyfreedom.org/watch-reporter-tries-to-get-tiger-woods-to-trash-trump-and-he-did-not-take-the-bait/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=postup

highnote
08-27-2018, 01:36 PM
https://ilovemyfreedom.org/watch-reporter-tries-to-get-tiger-woods-to-trash-trump-and-he-did-not-take-the-bait/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=postup

He shouldn't feel he has to discuss politics in public. Not everything is about politics.

One reason I started the thread about legalizing prostitution is to talk about something other than politics. Although, I wondered how long it would take until someone brought politics into the mix.

Sure enough, someone blamed sex trafficking on democrats. LOL

letswastemoney
08-27-2018, 01:56 PM
https://ilovemyfreedom.org/watch-reporter-tries-to-get-tiger-woods-to-trash-trump-and-he-did-not-take-the-bait/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=postup He's clearly on friendly terms with President Trump. Just can't admit it in today's climate.

JerryBoyle
09-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Eldrick Tont crushing it today at the BMW. I don't know if it was the shaft change on his driver or what, but he has been getting off the tee so much better with driver these last 2 events. And the switch back to the SC putter looks promising. Excited to watch these next few events.

Also, every time he's in deep rough and takes a huge lash at the ball I wince expecting him to fall to his knees. Fingers crossed that doesn't ever happen

Lemon Drop Husker
09-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Tiger and Rory on top of the leaderboard after round 1 with matching 62's? :headbanger:

Obviously a bit early to call for magic this weekend, but better than both shooting a pair of 74s. :ThmbUp:

incoming
09-08-2018, 02:16 AM
Streaming live coverage for the BMW-FEDEX golf tourney starts at 8:30 AM at link. Tiger tees off at 12:40 PM EST. It's free :popcorn::popcorn:

https://www.pgatourlive.com/this-week

burnsy
09-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Tiger still has trouble stringing rounds together. That's his weakness....stamina. The younger guys have been eating his lunch.

GaryG
09-08-2018, 12:27 PM
At this point he is just another guy, some good days and some bad days. Hard to envision him winning another major.

rastajenk
09-09-2018, 06:41 AM
It's all about the putting. When they're going in, it's for birdies and good par saves. When they're not, it's for pars and bogeys.

incoming
09-09-2018, 09:06 AM
It's all about the putting. When they're going in, it's for birdies and good par saves. When they're not, it's for pars and bogeys.

Agreed....I think you have made this good point before. Tiger, in the past was deadly inside of 10 feet. Now, not so much, he misses regularly inside 5-6 feet. The rest of his game is on par with his old stats, but that is not good enough against this group of bigger stronger youngsters. Back in the day, by the end of the 3rd round he had already lapped the field. In the past, Tiger has had winning streaks of 7.... 6.....and 5 TOURNAMENTS in a row. I think records like that are untouchable in the golf world today.

HAIL....TIGER

JerryBoyle
09-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Excited to see him play this weekend. Every week, some part of his game looks so good and some part looks meh. Hoping he can put it all together. They asked in the anonymous PGA Tour players survey whether players thought he'd win again and if he'd win another major. 98% think he'll win and 90% think he'll win another major. Fascinating, especially given how deep the tour is.

On another note, I find the Fedex Cup system fascinating. Even if Tiger gets the win this weekend, he needs so much help to win the cup.

incoming
09-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Free live streaming will be available every day starting at 1:00 pm EST Thursday.....first tee time 11:40 am. The FedEx cup is a competition between the best 125 golfers using FedEx's season long scoring system. This week is the 3rd week of competition and there are only 30 golfers remaining.

https://www.pgatourlive.com/this-week

Dave Schwartz
09-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Agreed....I think you have made this good point before. Tiger, in the past was deadly inside of 10 feet. Now, not so much, he misses regularly inside 5-6 feet. The rest of his game is on par with his old stats, but that is not good enough against this group of bigger stronger youngsters. Back in the day, by the end of the 3rd round he had already lapped the field. In the past, Tiger has had winning streaks of 7.... 6.....and 5 TOURNAMENTS in a row. I think records like that are untouchable in the golf world today.

HAIL....TIGER

Hello, fellow Tiger Fan!

I think the big thing that is missing is the clutch play that made him famous.

I recall someone on the tour years ago saying something like, "When we'd get to the 17th hole, we just came to expect that he'd do something magnificent."

That wasn't the quote, but something like that.

incoming
09-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Hello, fellow Tiger Fan!

I think the big thing that is missing is the clutch play that made him famous.

I recall someone on the tour years ago saying something like, "When we'd get to the 17th hole, we just came to expect that he'd do something magnificent."

That wasn't the quote, but something like that.

He has a lot of charisma....today, many people have Tiger Talents. I think it has a lot to do with the equipment, the sweet spots in todays clubs must be at least 5% larger.

ReplayRandall
09-19-2018, 10:13 PM
He has a lot of charisma....

When? Now?? :sleeping::pound::sleeping::pound::sleeping:

incoming
09-19-2018, 11:37 PM
Tiger's playing group still will have the largest crowd following them by far. Me, I will be betting against....... with both hands.

AndyC
09-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Tiger's playing group still will have the largest crowd following them by far. Me, I will be betting against....... with both hands.

How do you bet against a player in a golf tournament? Tiger was 12-1 the last time I looked.

lansdale
09-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Tiger tied w/ Ricky Fowler at -5 for lead at East Lake today -- can he put together three more good days? He's been getting closer to the brass ring lately -- runner-up in the PGA, T6 in BMW -- he's finishing the year better than he started. Last year about this time, when it looked like Tiger was coming back to life, I said that he'd probably be happy to be playing as well as Henrik Stenson, the leading +40 golfer at that time. Right now, TW is ranked #21, two slots ahead of Stenson, but he's looking like he could be top 5. We'll see.

incoming
09-20-2018, 09:57 PM
How do you bet against a player in a golf tournament? Tiger was 12-1 the last time I looked.

Hmmmm.......I have Tiger 0-17 for the season.

AndyC
09-21-2018, 12:09 AM
Hmmmm.......I have Tiger 0-17 for the season.

Take my question literally. How do you place a bet against Tiger to lose? The odds on him were 12-1. Are you laying 1-13?

incoming
09-21-2018, 12:39 AM
Take my question literally. How do you place a bet against Tiger to lose? The odds on him were 12-1. Are you laying 1-13?

Heads-up wagers are offered.....both for tournaments and individual rounds.

AndyC
09-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Heads-up wagers are offered.....both for tournaments and individual rounds.

So who are you taking today?

cj
09-21-2018, 05:56 PM
So who are you taking today?

Maybe we'll hear after the fact.

incoming
09-21-2018, 06:43 PM
:kiss::D;)

MY Favorite player......the field. The field is very short this week .....my betting fits. My key this week was Horschel.......and the weaker players.....Smith, Kizzire and Schauffele.

Heavy hitters this week was the pair EUR/CAD.....in the wings the pair EUR/JPY that I will jump on with both feet at the appropriate time. Snapshot of incoming's week. If you key on him.....you are nuts. :lol::lol:

cj
09-21-2018, 08:03 PM
:kiss::D;)

MY Favorite player......the field. The field is very short this week .....my betting fits. My key this week was Horschel.......and the weaker players.....Smith, Kizzire and Schauffele.

Heavy hitters this week was the pair EUR/CAD.....in the wings the pair EUR/JPY that I will jump on with both feet at the appropriate time. Snapshot of incoming's week. If you key on him.....you are nuts. :lol::lol:

Can anyone translate this to English so we can figure out who he bet against Tiger today? Somebody? Anyone? Bueller?

incoming
09-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Can anyone translate this to English so we can figure out who he bet against Tiger today? Somebody? Anyone? Bueller?

I think you just proved my point...."If you key on him......you are nuts"

Parkview_Pirate
09-21-2018, 08:31 PM
It's all about the putting.....

Also known as "drive for show, putt for dough".

It's true, though I find putting rather boring. But when it's literally half the strokes designed into the game, you've got to be good with the wee club to stay on the tour. It's amazing to me that tour players average in the high 20s the number of putts per round.

JerryBoyle
09-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Also known as "drive for show, putt for dough".

It's true, though I find putting rather boring. But when it's literally half the strokes designed into the game, you've got to be good with the wee club to stay on the tour. It's amazing to me that tour players average in the high 20s the number of putts per round.

Interesting blog post that tries to address that quote: http://datagolfblogs.ca/which-is-more-important-putting-or-ball-striking/. Basically, over a longer period of time, it's actually the opposite. That site in general has some great blog posts for those interested in golf and data analysis.

lansdale
09-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Tiger with a three-stroke lead over the field going into Sunday. Who was the guy betting against him?

Dave Schwartz
09-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Tiger with a three-stroke lead over the field going into Sunday. Who was the guy betting against him?

Indeed. 12/1 would be looking pretty good here.

Enjoyed watching some of that show today.

Inner Dirt
09-23-2018, 08:14 AM

I would venture a guess Tiger never lost leading by 3 or more going into the last day.

Tee
09-23-2018, 09:04 AM
I would venture a guess Tiger never lost leading by 3 or more going into the last day.

You are correct.

incoming
09-23-2018, 09:05 AM

"He has never lost an official tournament when leading by more than two shots going into the final round, and his closing record with the lead is 42-2 on the PGA Tour." He also never come from behind on the last day to win a MAJOR.

Excellent interviews with Tiger and Rose at link.

I despise watching 25-40 year old guys put but I will make an exception today.

I won't be eating crow today.....too hard to catch. I'm going to make it turtle soup, they aren't nearly as fast or as smart as crows. :bang:

https://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/tiger-woods-has-3-shot-lead-heading-final-day-of-tour-championship

AndyC
09-23-2018, 01:56 PM

As someone who is a big fan of Tiger, I take little comfort from this stat. His history from this year has been one of hitting poor shots when he needed good ones to win or put away a tournament. His play on the back nine yesterday had more loose iron shots than he had hit the previous 45 holes. Fortunately his driver has been better than usual. Hopefully Tiger can close it out but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rory or Justin chase him down.

098poi
09-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Good luck Tiger! No gimmee but quite possible!

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Now, after 7 holes, Tiger is 5 ahead. Even his walk is different.

I will assume that this one is a done deal, which means the golf world will wait with an anxious feeling towards next week.

letswastemoney
09-23-2018, 05:37 PM
Only a 2 stroke lead now. His nerves are shot.

098poi
09-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Wow congratulations Tiger! Man the crowd was insane. You'd think Justin Bieber was there.

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Wow!

I really enjoyed today. Watched most of it.

AndyC
09-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Only a 2 stroke lead now. His nerves are shot.

They were certainly frayed. What was amazing to me was how the contenders acted like they were playing against the 2000 version of Tiger. None of them made a run or played remotely up to expectations. They say that Tiger has lost the intimidation factor but nobody considered that Tiger's huge fan base creates a home field advantage.

rastajenk
09-23-2018, 06:52 PM
That scene on the final hole was like a movie or something else not quite real.

I teared up. That was a great moment. Someday there will be 200,000 people that will say they were there. :liar: :jump::jump:

098poi
09-23-2018, 06:57 PM

I teared up. That was a great moment. Someday there will be 200,000 people that will say they were there. :liar: :jump::jump:

Very true!!

Suff
09-23-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm inspired by Tiger Woods.

Marshall Bennett
09-23-2018, 07:38 PM
They were certainly frayed. What was amazing to me was how the contenders acted like they were playing against the 2000 version of Tiger. None of them made a run or played remotely up to expectations. They say that Tiger has lost the intimidation factor but nobody considered that Tiger's huge fan base creates a home field advantage.
The doubters, the ill-wishers, the haters, ect. ect. will never give him any credit. You don't like a person for whatever reasons, so everything else he does is shit. The excuses you hear are flat-out ridiculous. "All the other players didn't try, he got lucky, whatever...whatever"... Oh wait, the crowd made him win. :D
Amazing in a sport where precision, technique, and endurance means everything, that people can actually be that stupid.
Personally for that reason in particular, I hope he wins the next two or three.
I'm really curious how for the ignorance stretches. :p

Grits
09-23-2018, 08:09 PM
I watched the entire afternoon, glued to the tv. Every shot!!

Not since Tiznow won his second Breeders' Cup Classic have I cried such tears of joy for an athlete.

Anyone that cannot be happy for Tiger knowing his back surgerys, knowing all the personal problems, how far he fell, how hard he's worked to get back....I do not understand your bitterness..

Watching the crowd, walking with him, chanting his name was amazing.

NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP!!!

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2018, 08:18 PM
I watched the entire afternoon, glued to the tv. Every shot!!

Not since Tiznow won his second Breeders' Cup Classic have I cried such tears of joy for an athlete.

Anyone that cannot be happy for Tiger knowing his back surgerys, knowing all the personal problems, how far he fell, how hard he's worked to get back....I do not understand your bitterness..

Watching the crowd, walking with him, chanting his name was amazing.

NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP!!!

Summed up perfectly.

I recall back at the beginning of us "fall" how I rooted against him, but everyone deserves a second chance. He lost everything, fought back. and kept fighting despite continuously losing.

How difficult must it be for a former king to work his way back?

Fuss is right: Truly inspiring.

lansdale
09-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Congrats to Tiger on an extraordinary weekend and comeback. Regrettably, I wasn't able to watch live -- only saw it on tape -- so I missed the drama of real-time action. Had to be the sweetest victory of his career. This is greatness.

AndyC
09-23-2018, 11:47 PM
The doubters, the ill-wishers, the haters, ect. ect. will never give him any credit. You don't like a person for whatever reasons, so everything else he does is shit. The excuses you hear are flat-out ridiculous. "All the other players didn't try, he got lucky, whatever...whatever"... Oh wait, the crowd made him win. :D
Amazing in a sport where precision, technique, and endurance means everything, that people can actually be that stupid.
I'm really curious how for the ignorance stretches. :p

Don't count me among the doubters, ill wishers or haters. I certainly had my concerns, not about his playing ability but about his ability to elevate his focus when he is under pressure. He checked all the boxes this week. Vintage Tiger.

The crowd has a huge impact when Tiger plays. The tour line is that playing with Tiger adds 2-3 strokes to your score just from the crowd noise and movement.

incoming
09-24-2018, 12:00 AM
We have been a witness to one of the most miraculous athletic comebacks in my lifetime. Tiger had achieved the highest levels of accomplishments in the world of golf, already with a rich tradition of past golf giants. Then after a 5 year dry spell filled with personal and medical problems he wins another tournament. The final field of thirty competitors that started with 125 specially chosen golfers carried the highest difficulty ranking of any tournament in the 2018 golf season.

HAIL.....TIGER MAN

MutuelClerk
09-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Pretty cool stuff. All these younger players who watched Tiger growing up I'm sure in their heads thought he's older, injured, ridiculed by the media and public he'll never be Tiger again. And even if he is back we're the new generation of player. Well guess what? Meet the new boss same as the old boss!!!! These younger players folded they had one eye on the golf ball they were playing one eye on the scoreboard and both ears listening for the roars. Rory never had a chance.
I had doubts, concerns, however you wanna phrase it. But man the walk up 18 like others here have said was amazing. I'm glad for Tiger. Looking forward to the Ryder Cup and hoping Tiger stays healthy over the winter and comes back ready for the Masters and more majors.

USA USA USA Beat those Euros.........

Inner Dirt
09-24-2018, 09:52 AM
We have been a witness to one of the most miraculous athletic comebacks in my lifetime. Tiger had achieved the highest levels of accomplishments in the world of golf, already with a rich tradition of past golf giants. Then after a 5 year dry spell filled with personal and medical problems he wins another tournament. The final field of thirty competitors that started with 125 specially chosen golfers carried the highest difficulty ranking of any tournament in the 2018 golf season.

HAIL.....TIGER MAN

Tiger plays golf. Even in the last 5 years Teddy Bridgewater would have lost a leg if it wasn't for the great training staff of the Vikings. He came back to play NFL football. Going back a couple decades look up Garrison Hearst, he almost lost his ankle and foot and came back to play NFL football.
John Daly played golf at a high level 50 pounds overweight as a chain smoker, it does not take a miraculous comeback to get back in golf shape.

Marshall Bennett
09-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Ha ha...putting John Daly in the same class with Woods. The similarities between golf and football at any level are few. I would consider Woods a first for his level in golf, or for anyone else in any sport for that matter,

Inner Dirt
09-25-2018, 07:59 AM
Ha ha...putting John Daly in the same class with Woods. The similarities between golf and football at any level are few. I would consider Woods a first for his level in golf, or for anyone else in any sport for that matter,

I am not putting Daly in the same class as Woods, but he has won 18 golf tournaments. Many of the those while smoking and drinking alcohol while playing. I was using Daly as an example of the physical conditioning and athleticism required to play golf.

headhawg
09-25-2018, 09:55 AM
The hyperbole over Woods astounds me.

Inner Dirt
09-25-2018, 10:30 AM
The hyperbole over Woods astounds me.

Rich Eisen was even babbling on and on about Tiger also recovering from opioid addiction. Rich needs to shut his damn mouth as he knows nothing about whether Tiger was "addicted" or even if he stopped taking opioid pain meds. As a person who had multiple level spinal fusion surgery I know how painful the initial recovery time is, at first it is hard to stand up even hooked to a morphine pump. Instead of just taking enough to make the pain manageable and staying off his feet, Tiger decided to take enough for the pain to go away and then dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a car. Nothing to do with being an opioid addict.

AndyC
09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
I am not putting Daly in the same class as Woods, but he has won 18 golf tournaments. Many of the those while smoking and drinking alcohol while playing. I was using Daly as an example of the physical conditioning and athleticism required to play golf.

Eighteen wins would be a great career if the wins were on the PGA tour. He has had 6 wins that were achieved in top tier tournaments.

While golf may not require the athleticism of many other sports it requires superior hand-eye co-ordination, precision, and an ability to perform under immense pressure. You would think that the athletes of other sports would easily master golf but that has never been the case. Each sport has its own set of physical and mental requirements.

AndyC
09-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Rich Eisen was even babbling on and on about Tiger also recovering from opioid addiction. Rich needs to shut his damn mouth as he knows nothing about whether Tiger was "addicted" or even if he stopped taking opioid pain meds. As a person who had multiple level spinal fusion surgery I know how painful the initial recovery time is, at first it is hard to stand up even hooked to a morphine pump. Instead of just taking enough to make the pain manageable and staying off his feet, Tiger decided to take enough for the pain to go away and then dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a car. Nothing to do with being an opioid addict.

Wasn't he also taking Ambien for sleep issues?

FakeNameChanged
09-25-2018, 12:07 PM

The story of John Daly winning the '91 PGA after driving all night to get there and having 8 or 9 other golfers withdraw to get in was best golf story of that year. He was allegedly booze freeze that week. He was a blue-collar favorite, and a big television draw when he was playing well. Daly would have drove Tiger crazy if they were paired up, hitting those monster drives with his fan-base like a real life Happy Gilmore.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/story-john-dalys-win-1991-pga-championship

Inner Dirt
09-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Eighteen wins would be a great career if the wins were on the PGA tour. He has had 6 wins that were achieved in top tier tournaments.

While golf may not require the athleticism of many other sports it requires superior hand-eye co-ordination, precision, and an ability to perform under immense pressure. You would think that the athletes of other sports would easily master golf but that has never been the case. Each sport has its own set of physical and mental requirements.

Never said it didn't, but those things don't disappear or degrade much because of an injury unless you had brain damage.

AndyC
09-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Never said it didn't, but those things don't disappear or degrade much because of an injury unless you had brain damage.

In a game that requires such touch and precision even a minor injury can be a big detriment.

Wayne Defrancesco wrote an article on whether or not Tiger would be able to make a comeback. Wayne went through similar back surgeries and made some interesting observations on how pain prevents a golfer from making the proper swing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UBDrVTHXI

Dave Schwartz
09-25-2018, 01:19 PM
No doubt there is a different level (and type) of athleticism needed to excel at PGA golf than in the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB.

I think that every sport, at the world class level demands both a high degree of athleticism and finesse.

Even at positions within a sport.

It is pretty obvious that pure strength and weight are far more important to an offensive lineman than to a 2nd baseman. Even farther away from a golfer.

However, I also think that walking 18 holes multiple days per week is far different than riding in a cart. I wonder how many 45-year old golfers who ride in carts would find their game in the crapper if they had to walk the course.

highnote
09-25-2018, 08:25 PM

Ben Hogan had a movie made about him.

I assume Tiger will, too, and this season's comeback and Sunday's win will be scenes from the movie.

MutuelClerk
09-25-2018, 09:26 PM
I hope he only plays once a day at the Ryder Cup. I want him fresh for next years majors.

FakeNameChanged
09-26-2018, 08:04 AM
No doubt there is a different level (and type) of athleticism needed to excel at PGA golf than in the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB.

I think that every sport, at the world class level demands both a high degree of athleticism and finesse.

Even at positions within a sport.

It is pretty obvious that pure strength and weight are far more important to an offensive lineman than to a 2nd baseman. Even farther away from a golfer.

However, I also think that walking 18 holes multiple days per week is far different than riding in a cart. I wonder how many 45-year old golfers who ride in carts would find their game in the crapper if they had to walk the course.
Most 45 year olds already have their game in the crapper, cart or not.

rastajenk
09-26-2018, 08:44 AM
I hope he only plays once a day at the Ryder Cup. I want him fresh for next years majors.
I would hope so too, except that I want him fresh for Sunday's singles.

But please don't pair him up with Phil, that could be disastrous. I think Koepka and Finau would be good pairings, or maybe someone quiet and focused like Webby. But don't lose the Cup because of ratings and headlines. Do the right thing, Captain.

Wiley
09-26-2018, 09:20 AM
But please don't pair him up with Phil, that could be disastrous. I think Koepka and Finau would be good pairings, or maybe someone quiet and focused like Webby. But don't lose the Cup because of ratings and headlines. Do the right thing, Captain.
It looked like yesterday that Tiger and Phil walked the course or did a practice round together. It will be hard for Furyk to keep them apart for the whole weekend.

I also think Fowler would be good choice to pair with Tiger. Apparently they are good friends and you get the youth and experience blend there. Phil has not been playing well, but maybe put him with DeChambeau who has been the hottest guy on tour the last couple of months and also has some swing unique qualities that might fit with some of Phil's imaginative shot choices.

Koepka and Dustin Johnson would be a fun twosome, bombs away to see who could out drive each other.

rastajenk
09-26-2018, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure what to expect from Dechambeau. He can hit some bad shots and be hard on himself, and you don't have the many holes of medal play to get back the groove and make them up. But maybe he'll get into it and be a good partner with someone, and I guess the NCAA title is still match play, so he's got that going for him.

letswastemoney
09-26-2018, 11:22 AM
I almost thought Tiger was choking his lead away on the last few holes. Glad he proved me wrong.

AndyC
09-26-2018, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure what to expect from Dechambeau. He can hit some bad shots and be hard on himself, and you don't have the many holes of medal play to get back the groove and make them up. But maybe he'll get into it and be a good partner with someone, and I guess the NCAA title is still match play, so he's got that going for him.

The US Amateur is also match play.

AndyC
09-26-2018, 01:25 PM
It looked like yesterday that Tiger and Phil walked the course or did a practice round together. It will be hard for Furyk to keep them apart for the whole weekend.

I also think Fowler would be good choice to pair with Tiger. Apparently they are good friends and you get the youth and experience blend there. Phil has not been playing well, but maybe put him with DeChambeau who has been the hottest guy on tour the last couple of months and also has some swing unique qualities that might fit with some of Phil's imaginative shot choices.

Koepka and Dustin Johnson would be a fun twosome, bombs away to see who could out drive each other.

The hard part is pairing players in the foursomes (aka alternate shot). Since they have to play the same ball you want to be sure that each player is comfortable with the ball. And that is definitely a big deal.

incoming
09-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Live streaming of Ryder Cup at link:

https://www.rydercup.com/live/rydercupusa?cid=rydercup18_partner_cbssports

cj
09-28-2018, 07:16 PM
Live streaming of Ryder Cup at link:

https://www.rydercup.com/live/rydercupusa?cid=rydercup18_partner_cbssports

What a colossal disaster the alternate shot session was. How do you play Mickelson in that one instead of the first session if you are going to play him? The whole American team looked like the C flight at a local muni tournament.

incoming
09-29-2018, 08:05 PM
What a colossal disaster the alternate shot session was. How do you play Mickelson in that one instead of the first session if you are going to play him? The whole American team looked like the C flight at a local muni tournament.

I don't have an edge in the Ryder Cup....I don't even know who is on the team.

headhawg
09-30-2018, 11:44 AM
So how did Tiger play? <crickets>

Dave Schwartz
09-30-2018, 01:33 PM
I don't have an edge in the Ryder Cup....I don't even know who is on the team.

I struggle with the rules. LOL

lansdale
09-30-2018, 05:07 PM
As I've mentioned before, TW fan but not fan of the sport, so not really following RC too closely and don't see it as really related to this thread. Talking with my brother, who is a golfer and TW fan, about this RC, and he made the point that Tiger and Phil have always been bad in RC -- U.S. has lost 7/8 with Tiger on the team. His personal RC win percentage is ca. 43% and Phil, 48%. And it seems this year, most of the U.S. team was pretty lame

As a non-golf fan though, one observation -- compared to most sports, and certainly compared with a similar single-player sport like tennis, golf is a relatively high-variance game -- the top players only win ca. 8-10% of the tournaments. So this should apply not only to individual, but also to team play, over a few rounds of golf as in RC.

incoming
09-30-2018, 06:15 PM
I struggle with the rules. LOL

Why fool with a once a year event that is totally different than the season. I wouldn't include Tiger's performance in any of my analysis, except for fitness.

headhawg
12-01-2018, 06:45 PM
I'm really curious how for the ignorance stretches. :pHow's the Woods-man been doing lately? He lost that farce of an exhibition to a pretty washed-up Phil, and isn't he dead last in the Hero World Challenge?

And whoever gave me the negative reputation point and said I could share a wet blanket with another poster because of my Woods comments....would you like to retract it?

I guess the ignorance stretches all the way through Tiger fans. :rolleyes:

<crickets>

highnote
12-01-2018, 07:55 PM
For what it's worth, Woods was 668th in the world last year and is 13th this year.

Dave Schwartz
12-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Why fool with a once a year event that is totally different than the season. I wouldn't include Tiger's performance in any of my analysis, except for fitness.

That was pretty much my feeling.

Buckeye
12-01-2018, 11:02 PM
Look's to me like it was a good contest.

I don't know much about golf, but I do know something about competition.

Both competitors are great golfers, so it really doesn't prove that much either way other than what happened today.

Tee
12-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Once a year?

Tee
12-01-2018, 11:53 PM
Every time Tiger tees is up his performance should be scrutinized. It comes with the territory of being the goat :rolleyes:

Lemon Drop Husker
11-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Only GOATs can pull this off and be 100% correct. :)

https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/1192604941044666369

lansdale
11-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Tiger had his ups and downs this year, but did win a major and is finishing the year as the #7 ranked golfer in the world. Not bad.