PDA

View Full Version : What do we really know about what shockwave machines are used for?

Andy Asaro
07-02-2018, 09:23 AM
https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/what-do-we-really-know-about-what-shockwave-machines-are-used/

Excerpt:

Veterinary staple

What happens, therefore, if a horse is administered shockwave treatment immediately before a race to dull pain and mask injury?

This is the sort of question that has been asked about shockwave machines ever since they began to become a veterinary staple at the turn of the century. But, where does the issue lie now? What do we know about the science behind shockwave machines? And what have regulators done to investigate and govern their use?

“There’s still not a test for it,” said Mary Scollay, Kentucky equine medical director, and someone who has long been outspoken of her concerns about the instrument.

“While it’s possible to achieve reasonable regulation of the use of the instrument at the racetrack and under a regulated environment, it’s use at private farms, training centers, locations outside the track is virtually unregulated regardless of what the rules actually say,” she added.

Tom
07-02-2018, 11:55 AM
I would say any horse entered in a race should be stabled at the track for at least 72 hours under observation and be allowed nothing but food an water.
All horses should be drug tested the morning of the race, at the owner's expense.

If a horse is too sore to competed, charge the owner for the stall and ban the horse from racing for 90 days.

Ha ha ha.....gottcha!
Like the racing industry gives a good GD about the integrity of the game.
Or the customers. The ones who pay to get in and bet through the windows, not the ones who get special treatment.

This sounds like a very bad idea to me - masking pain is never good.
Doing it should be a felony with hard time.

No horse should ever be allowed to race on any drug other other mechanical assist. Or electrical.

clicknow
07-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Since bettors here are not privy to most veterinary reports, ECG reports, etc. you are wagering $ blind in many respects. Unlike Hong Kong, where vet reports are consistently available, and along with strict regulation and authority, make for betting into a more honest product.

baconswitchfarm
07-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Most guys on private farms have their own machine and are not dependant on a vet.

Andy Asaro
07-02-2018, 03:42 PM
7/2/2018 Official Vet's List - CHRB Page 27
HORSE NAME

Click the link to view. T-Breds start on page 27. Also lists shockwave treatments

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/misc_docs/VetlistDATE.pdf

papillon
07-02-2018, 06:48 PM
7/2/2018 Official Vet's List - CHRB Page 27
HORSE NAME

Click the link to view. T-Breds start on page 27. Also lists shockwave treatments

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/misc_docs/VetlistDATE.pdf

As curious as I might be be, I'm not downloading a report over 100 pages long.

Andy Asaro
07-02-2018, 07:51 PM

You don't have to download it.

clicknow
07-03-2018, 12:41 AM

I also have zero desire to look thru all that, as I will not remember the horses.

The time for bettors to have access to that information is by individual horse, on the day they are entered to race, so that you can be informed about how you are spending your hard earned money.

These somewhat "hidden" databases are rather useless, and they don't give the entire health information for the horses either.