PDA

View Full Version : What site has the best trainer stats?

midnight
09-03-2004, 03:15 AM
I use trainer intent a lot in my handicapping. Unfortunately, there aren't many good sources of this info. Most are specific to certain situations that exist in the race. I've seen the tour of Turfday.com, but I've never heard of them until now.

Does anybody know of a good source for trainer stats, preferably searchable or sortable, and has anybody used Turfday.com? Thanks.

Turfday
09-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi Midnight,

With all due modesty, it would be impossible to have more current or updated stats on the trainer categories (or any of the other categories for that matter) that you viewed when taking the free tour of my site. BTW...what did you think of the free tour of the site ?

Even the Daily Racing Form's stats are not as current or timely. Reason: we are set up to update virtually in less than 24 hours of every racing day from the data feed we are getting from Equibase. If you'll note on the Equibase site, we are one of their

Our site literally and actually has data from every single race run in North America and Canada since Jan. 1, 1995. As you viewed in the free tour, the user has the ability to search stats since that beginning time period, OR for the last 1,095 days (three years) you are at the site, OR for the last 365 days you are at the site. Take your pick.

If you'll note on the Equibase site, we are one of their seven strategic partners for handicapping data.

I follow the Southern California circuit and have compared many instances of statistical comments from DRF's "Closer Look" writers that are not as current as the stats we use.

NOTE: in a little more than a month, you are going to be hearing and seeing a lot more about Turfday.com. In addition, we will also be rolling out our long-awaited Valuator product (that has admittedly taken forever to get ready for public consumption).

ceejay
09-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by midnight
I use trainer intent a lot in my handicapping. Unfortunately, there aren't many good sources of this info. Most are specific to certain situations that exist in the race. I've seen the tour of Turfday.com, but I've never heard of them until now.

Does anybody know of a good source for trainer stats, preferably searchable or sortable, and has anybody used Turfday.com? Thanks.

I've used Turfday, and I like the UI and format. The only search option is by trainer/sire/jockey, ....

Bob's "grades" for factors are useful to me, and have helped me pick live longshots. On the other hand (as far as I know) the user cannot look at the effectiveness of a trainer with multiple factors (for example 3yo FTS on the turf for trainer Joe Schmo). Maybe that is what "Valuator" is??

Early in the 2yo season I found sire stats particularly effective for freshsmen sires.

Turfday
09-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi Ceejay,

First, thanks!

In addition to search by trainer, jockey, sire, you forget trainer-jockey combinations and post positions. You can search any track anywhere in U.S. or Canada for post position stats at any distance in the time periods listed in my above post with meaningful sample sizes.

When horses are entered that day, we also have a Performance Activity Log for every horse. This enables you to see every single workout, race and scratch in chronological order that horse has had.

This is extremely useful and helpful...at least to me. I love to see workouts that go back farther than published in DRF. I love to see if a horse has had breaks in his training. As an example, you might see a 3-year-old first time starter get to the races now...let's say in September and, of course, see his published workouts in DRF.

What you DON'T SEE is that perhaps that horse was in and out of training a couple of times PRIOR to the current worktab showing in DRF. It will also show you if the horse was working fast or slow then.

Also, let's say a horse has been away a year or so. You can check back and see if that horse was in and out of training within that year and never made it back to the races until today. Maybe he had three or four workouts and then a big gap. Maybe three or four more and another gap. This tells me the horse has real unsoundness problems.

We also include scratches and what type of race the horse was scratched from. This could be very helpful and directly related to trainer intent. A link will take you to the race the horse SCRATCHED OUT OF to show you the race the trainer opted not to run in.

A link will also take you to the chart of each horse's actual races as well.

The Hawk
09-03-2004, 07:39 PM
All of the aforementioned stuff, and then some, is available in DRF's Formulator 4, a great source for trainer stats...

midnight
09-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Turfday:

The tour gave a reasonable idea of what to expect, but it also leaves some questions. It would be better if the user could actually get into the site itself and look around: kick the tires so to speak. I know that Equibase has a rule about allowing the dissemination of their data for free and that moochers would abuse free trials with multiple emails, etc. My idea is to charge a modest fee for the one-day trial, like $5 for 24 hours, with one trial to a customer. That way Equibase would be happy, the freebie seekers couldn't get free data, and anybody could pay the $5 and get a good hands-on idea of what the site was about.