PDA

View Full Version : Windows Service Pack 2.

Speed Figure
09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Is anyone using service pack 2?

cj
09-02-2004, 04:22 PM
I put it on one computer. It seems ok, no problems. It does turn on the MS Firewall, which I immediately turned off.

JustRalph
09-02-2004, 04:42 PM
I have two clients that upgraded there office networks and can no longer transfer files.........I haven't been there yet to find out why.....but I had them turn off their firewalls etc........no go.....

we shall see..........

kitts
09-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Microsoft mentions on their website that Service Pack 2 is all about security. In Internet Explorer, Outlook and Windows Messenger. Since I do not use either, I decided I did not need it. I worked for years for a manufacturer of internet hardware and they only alllowed Netscape internally as they were very security conscious.

MikeH
09-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I would avoid installing SP2 at all costs.

I know a CPA who went and installed it on two of his desktops and then on his own laptop. Next morning none of his tax software would run, AND the laptop wouldn't even boot. Had to take the laptop to a disk recovery service because he has something critical on it. Cost him $900+...

Even Microsoft, on its own website, has a list of software that isn't compatible with SP2.

The best bet is:
1) Do not use IE or Outlook. Most of the security problems with XP are occurring because Microsoft was trying to beat the antitrust trial and they integrated the browser with the operating system - something that should never have been done. Basically whem you open IE or Outlook, you are opening your entire operating system to the world...

2) Use the Firefox browser and Thunderbird mail client - they are much more secure to begin with, and, because they are not integrated with the OS, they simply can't have the security problems that IE and Outlook have. You can get them at www.mozilla.org.

Speed Figure
09-03-2004, 01:06 AM
So far it has been running great on my laptop.

kenwoodallpromos
09-03-2004, 01:41 AM
So far I only ordered the free CD.

Tom
09-03-2004, 06:39 AM
SP2 is a fix for SP1, which was a fix for the original software which was crap out of the box. Consider SP2 to be the reason you will need SP3 eventually.

cj
09-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Tom,

Try SuSE Linux Pro 9.1. Costs $50, I'll never go back to MS land on my home stuff!!! I've had it two days and I'm hooked.

Speed Figure
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Tom,

Try SuSE Linux Pro 9.1. Costs $50, I'll never go back to MS land on my home stuff!!! I've had it two days and I'm hooked. Can you tell me what this is, and what it does?

Larry Hamilton
09-03-2004, 01:22 PM
there are lots of things to say about it and I am sure the computer guys here will give them to you. There is one fact that kills the deal for me--Microsoft Access will not run on it.

cj
09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
Can you tell me what this is, and what it does?

Its an alternative Operating System to Windows. It is very easy to install, virus free, blue screen of death free, etc, etc.

Linux can be had for free, but the version I speak of is very user friendly. There are others as well, like Red Hat, that are also good.

If you have a spare computer, give it a whirl. The update version is what costs $50, but you can use it even without a prior version. You just don't get the manuals. They are all included electronically however, so why pay extra? Also, there is a TON of free software included, including a full office package, multiple browsers, email programs, and on and on.

Larry,

I would be very surprised if there isn't a database program available freely that is compatible with Access. BillW could probably help us out there.

wes
09-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Windows Service Pack 2.

Downloaded and installed the Windows service pack 2 yesterday
9/10/04. With cable connection an AMD 1.3 Ghz machine the download and install time was 3hours and 10 minutes. A few things I had to change to get the graphics right. Had to change fonts. Some programs were missing the data(not showing in the window). I have Office97 and it seems to be working fine. I have Windows Home XP.
Thought I would post this for others who may want to download the service pack.

wes

Larry Hamilton
09-11-2004, 06:35 PM
soon as I find it, I will be Windows-free

Larry Hamilton
09-11-2004, 06:40 PM
I have managed to max out my dbs in all three directions: fields, rows and memory size. Dont really know what the next step is and will be glad to hear of alternatives to MS ACCESS. I have used some technieuqes to make it all fit. But once you try to put it all together, I can crash it easily.

GameTheory
09-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Open Office, a free cross-platform office suite, has a very nice database front end (ODBC) that can be used with any number of free database engines (MySQL, etc), essentially giving you Access under Linux (or even Windows) for free...

Larry Hamilton
09-12-2004, 12:47 AM
thanks for the heads up...will now try it

andicap
09-12-2004, 09:27 AM
1. Can you run Windows programs (like my HTR software on Linux). If not, why would why I run Linux?

2. When I tried to download SP 2, I got an error note, sayiing the download had "failed."
What the hell is THAT all about.

JustRalph
09-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Some Linux person want to describe what happens if you buy a piece of hardware that Linux doesn't have drivers for?

Let's say a new "sound card" and there are no Linux drivers on the disk that comes with the card. I haven't built a Linux machine in a few years.........anybody want to comment?

I think Linux is great . I love Unix..............but I don't run either.

Alc
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Loaded SP2 on 9/2. Took 1 and 1/2 hours to download and install-hi speed cable(RR). Worked fine for 2 days. Then computer went haywire. Was able to shut down and restore to just after the SP2 download. Worked fine for 1 day and then went haywire again. Was able to restore to just prior to SP2 download. All is fine.

Larry Hamilton
09-12-2004, 12:05 PM
well, I installed open office and gave it a run. Here are my unscientific un professional remarks that only apply to my computer.

1. The first thing that happened was that when you go to the site it is as clear as mud what you need to download. You think, you are doing it right but later you find out you have no db tools.

2. The excel-like and word-like software almost took over my documents as it made itself the default. There are two ways out of that: change the default and choose the "Open With" each time you open.

3. My computer got so slow at almost everything I was ready to chunk it. Pictures on sites that I was accustomed to seeing POT up on screen all of a sudden were being put up one or two lines at a time.

4. I spent several hours trying to find anything that resembled a db. When I tried the "open as" trick all it made was a mess.

Conclusion: I want to get out of the MS bag, but I will wait until something more reliable comes along.

GameTheory
09-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I didn't say it would be easy. Open Office has no database engine of its own, only an ODBC interface, which is a standard protocol that can be used to drive pretty much any database you can name. In fact, you should be able to use their interface to work with your current Access database on Windows. However, configuring all that is a bit of a chore. I wouldn't bother unless you were actually using Linux, where it runs faster and more stable anyway.

Larry Hamilton
09-12-2004, 03:49 PM
thank you for trying, but I NEED easy!

Speed Figure
09-12-2004, 03:50 PM
SP2 hads been great for me so far......

GameTheory
09-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Larry Hamilton
thank you for trying, but I NEED easy! Then just accept Windows as it is and keep your blood pressure low -- Linux has its advantages and Windows its faults, but I don't think Linux will ever be "easier" to set-up/configure because it is more committed to remaining flexible/powerful for code geeks...

GameTheory
09-12-2004, 04:07 PM
BTW, I have run Windows with both MS Office & Open Office installed, and currently with only Open Office. I haven't had any general slowdown, so I don't know what that's about. I do (with both programs) turn off that perpetual "quick start" or whatever they call it that is always running in the background, so they only start up when I am actually using them. I generally only use the the spreadsheet part of the suite, and I find both versions (MS & Open) to be infuriating, but in different ways. Given that, I'll stick with the free one...