PDA

View Full Version : Hope Rajiv is OK

PaceMasterT
06-17-2018, 11:16 PM
I didn't see anything posted about the incident in the Belmont 4th today (6/17/18). I haven't seen anything about Rajiv, but I hope he is ok. It is sure sad, because you could almost see the light in Freeze the Account's eyes when he started to pull away from Rucksack and could see victory before him. I guess it is because it was some "lowly" maiden claiming race.

I don't want to get on my soapbox or anything, but I've been drinking some whiskey after not drinking for a month or so. I think things need to change in this game. This whole reliance on drugs seems ridiculous to me. People and horses were not born with the predisposition to rely on drugs to function properly. I have no idea why every horse in North America can only race if they have lasix or train with the miriade of other "legal" drugs. Ugh, I don't know where I was going, so I just end it here. :confused:

HandyKapper
06-18-2018, 08:03 AM
He said he is fine just a little bruised up.

groupie doll
06-18-2018, 12:22 PM
update on riders and horses (http://live.drf.com/nuggets/43149-maragh-franco-appear-ok-after-ugly-spill)

jk3521
06-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Also,two mounts Rajiv had to be replaced on won their races later on the card.

Immortal6
06-18-2018, 02:18 PM
This is a bit morbid but what does "euthanized on track" mean? Surely they don't put the horse down right there in front of the grandstands? I've only watched live racing at a Fonner and I've been fortunate to never witness a horse break down there. Do they somehow get the injured horse loaded and back to a barn to attempt to give it any comfort before euthanizing? Do they lethally inject like they would if your family pet has to be put down?

Always thought about how heartbreaking it must be for track vets, trainers, etc to have to go through this. Doubtful I could stomach it.

Hambletonian
06-18-2018, 07:43 PM
This is a bit morbid but what does "euthanized on track" mean? Surely they don't put the horse down right there in front of the grandstands? I've only watched live racing at a Fonner and I've been fortunate to never witness a horse break down there. Do they somehow get the injured horse loaded and back to a barn to attempt to give it any comfort before euthanizing? Do they lethally inject like they would if your family pet has to be put down?

Always thought about how heartbreaking it must be for track vets, trainers, etc to have to go through this. Doubtful I could stomach it.

That is exactly what they mean. Horses only go back to the barn if they can walk into the van. Otherwise, it is more humane to euthanize them where they are.

Worse incident I saw was over thirty years ago at Atlantic City. An over aggressive jockey clipped heals at the furlong pole, and a trailing horse fell over his mount and broke its neck. Unfortunately, they were ill prepared for this, and ending up tying the dead horse to a rake and dragging it off the track. It was really morbid.

jk3521
06-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Screening is put up to protect the public from seeing the sad deed being done if it must be done on the track.