PDA

View Full Version : Vic Stauffer-TVG

SandyW
06-17-2018, 07:48 PM
A nice surprise on this father's day, welcome back Vic to TVG this afternoon.
One of the very best and most informative behind the mic.

horses4courses
06-17-2018, 07:50 PM
I see he's been playing poker recently.
With the big guys :cool:

GMB@BP
06-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Agree, he understands whats going on...but I am sure this thread devolves quickly due to personality disagreements.

RunForTheRoses
06-17-2018, 08:26 PM
He did mention odds drops and how at Pleasanton the reverse happened two races in a row. Guess he's been lurking.

And FTR I'm a Vic fan, hope he stays around TVG.

thaskalos
06-17-2018, 08:42 PM
I see he's been playing poker recently.
With the big guys :cool:

Where...Vegas?

As I recall, he wasn't much of a poker player...so, I might have to look him up. :cool:

horses4courses
06-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Where...Vegas?

As I recall, he wasn't much of a poker player...so, I might have to look him up. :cool:

Not sure where he was.
Vic posted these photos on Twitter on June 11th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfdJDtFV4AAzx19.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfdG0nHV4AAvP4k.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfdGHkPVQAEvz5x.jpg

dilanesp
06-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Where...Vegas?

Considering how much work and math is required, very few people are. :)

deathandgravity
06-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Great to see Vic on TVG!

upthecreek
06-18-2018, 04:40 PM
He's on TVG now, for the next 4 hours

SandyW
06-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Looks like Vic is back as a regular on TVG till Oaklawn starts it's meet early next year.
It is a pleasure listening to someone that you may learn something from.

v j stauffer
06-20-2018, 03:09 AM
Looks like Vic is back as a regular on TVG till Oaklawn starts it's meet early next year.
It is a pleasure listening to someone that you may learn something from.

It's been fun seeing old friends and making new ones. I was part of the original on air team way back in 1999. But was up for Gulfstream then and told them if I got that I was headed to Florida. Been with them on and off ever since. Big fun sharing stories and picking an occasional winner.

Back at it tomorrow on TVG2 from 11:00am to 2:30 pst. I'll have tickets from Finger Lakes, Louisiana Downs and Thistledown.

Have shifts all the through the weekend. Then back the 2nd week of July.

Send me a tweet on the air @goofonroof and I promise to have you join the conversation.

lamboguy
06-20-2018, 05:08 AM
Vic's overall knowledge of the racing game is second to none.

dilanesp
06-20-2018, 11:31 AM
And has proved his handicapping skills here, unlike the one that continues to badger and bait him here.

The guy has played several roles in this sport (racecaller, handicapper, agent, tv host, steward) and has done all of then well.

v j stauffer
06-20-2018, 02:54 PM
The guy has played several roles in this sport (racecaller, handicapper, agent, tv host, steward) and has done all of then well.

On the air RIGHT NOW on TVG2. Just hit my single in the Thistledown Pick 6. Still have a pick 4's at Thistle and Louisiana Downs.

Let's GO!

sammy the sage
06-20-2018, 08:40 PM
On the air RIGHT NOW on TVG2. Just hit my single in the Thistledown Pick 6. Still have a pick 4's at Thistle and Louisiana Downs.

Let's GO!

Good to see you posting again...B.O.L...:ThmbUp:

Franco Santiago
06-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Let's GO!

Vic, I have enjoyed your show...I enjoy your straight talk which is absent of blather and is, for the great majority of the time, about handicapping, betting, and other things of horse racing interest (i.e. your dossier (of sorts) on announcers was very entertaining).

I do, however, have one question, if I may. The other day you said, "bet with a rebate at your own peril." I didn't understand this at all. Did you mean, "bet WITHOUT rebates at your own peril"? Because, I see no downside to a rebate, and if I am betting with one at my own peril, I would definitely like to know what that peril is.

Anyway, thanks again for the great show. Looking forward to more.

Dave Schwartz
06-20-2018, 09:46 PM

Let's GO!

I am thrilled to see a CONTRIBUTOR to racing (as well as PA) such as Vic S. on TVG.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

pandy
06-21-2018, 07:25 AM
Vic is good on TVG. I like the way he analyzes the speed figs.

v j stauffer
06-22-2018, 01:07 AM
Hit a $511.70 Penn National Pick 4 on a $48.00 ticket on Thursday. Working now on Friday plays.

Join me on @TVG2 at 1:00pm pst.

olddaddy
06-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Vic, Do you play all your picks you give on Tvg?

TiffaniO
06-22-2018, 01:15 PM
You’d be surprised how many viewers actually play the TVG hosts picks. A good example was last night...

Someone associated with Lone Star put up a late pick 4 and was alive to the 1,5,11.

The 1 and 5 were favorites in all the pools. However the 11 was 8th pick in doubles, 8th pick in pick 3s and the THIRD pick in the pick 4.

dilanesp
06-22-2018, 01:34 PM
You’d be surprised how many viewers actually play the TVG hosts picks. A good example was last night...

Someone associated with Lone Star put up a late pick 4 and was alive to the 1,5,11.

The 1 and 5 were favorites in all the pools. However the 11 was 8th pick in doubles, 8th pick in pick 3s and the THIRD pick in the pick 4.

Good stuff, Tiff.

v j stauffer
06-23-2018, 03:25 AM
Vic, Do you play all your picks you give on Tvg?

I do, Had a nice one today at Evangeline $24.00 ticket came back $134.05 for 50 cents. I punched it for $2.00.

Working right now on Saturday's early morning plays. Looking at Churchill, Laurel, Parx and Woodbine.

Also playing the Santa Anita $3000 one day tournament. GREAT 12 race card in Arcadia should make it full of opportunity.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-23-2018, 05:38 AM
I do, Had a nice one today at Evangeline $24.00 ticket came back $134.05 for 50 cents. I punched it for $2.00.

Working right now on Saturday's early morning plays. Looking at Churchill, Laurel, Parx and Woodbine.

Also playing the Santa Anita $3000 one day tournament. GREAT 12 race card in Arcadia should make it full of opportunity.

Santa card is nice after the first couple. Good luck today. :ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
06-24-2018, 01:45 AM
Santa card is nice after the first couple. Good luck today. :ThmbUp:

Thanks.

Went well. Bankroll went from $2000 to $14,406. Good for 2nd Prize money of $6,500. Also won a transferable entry to the Pegasus World Cup worth $12,000.

Join me tomorrow on @TVG2 from 9:30 to 1:00pm. We'll tackle Churchill & Arlington.

See you there.

Let's go!

Redboard
06-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Thanks.

Went well. Bankroll went from $2000 to $14,406. Good for 2nd Prize money of $6,500. Also won a transferable entry to the Pegasus World Cup worth $12,000.

Join me tomorrow on @TVG2 from 9:30 to 1:00pm. We'll tackle Churchill & Arlington.

See you there.

Let's go!

It's 9:30am now and I'm watching TVG2. Its showing a rerun of Belmont day????

TiffaniO
06-25-2018, 10:35 AM
It's 9:30am now and I'm watching TVG2. Its showing a rerun of Belmont day????

Pacific time and you’re a day behind

098poi
06-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Pacific time and you’re a day behind

Great post! :D

Afleet
06-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Thanks.

See you there.

Let's go!

Glad to see Oaklawn extend their season in 2019. Oaklawn should offer a win and you're in race for the Preakness after the Ark Derby and four weeks before the Preakness to keep bettors attention on Oaklawn. What does KEE think of Oaklawn extending into their season? Lobby management to lower take 1-2% across the board and know one will touch Oaklawn in the spring.

v j stauffer
06-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Glad to see Oaklawn extend their season in 2019. Oaklawn should offer a win and you're in race for the Preakness after the Ark Derby and four weeks before the Preakness to keep bettors attention on Oaklawn. What does KEE think of Oaklawn extending into their season? Lobby management to lower take 1-2% across the board and know one will touch Oaklawn in the spring.

Actually we didn't extend our season. We adjusted the dates to start later in Jan. and finish further into the spring. As for your opinion that "no one will touch Oaklawn in the spring" I couldn't disagree more. Our field sizes are #1 in North America and the quality of horses who compete is elite.

We're very excited, for the first time, to be able to offer our fans live racing in conjunction with the Kentucky Derby simulcast.

Oaklawn Park!! Where the SUN ALWAYS SHINES.

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Oaklawn Park!! Where the SUN ALWAYS SHINES.Not this year it didn't...place was waterlogged if I remember correctly...:eek:

v j stauffer
06-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Not this year it didn't...place was waterlogged if I remember correctly...:eek:

Sure it was. Shining brightly behind ALL THE DAMN CLOUDS. :mad:

We went a calendar month without running a race on a track listed fast.

AMAZING job by our entire track maintenance crew to keep the track playable and safe.

clicknow
06-25-2018, 05:42 PM
What does KEE think of Oaklawn extending into their season? Lobby management to lower take 1-2% across the board and know one will touch Oaklawn in the spring.

Hot Springs is a "racing town". They also have fantastic track attendance.

Not a whole lot that would change that IMHO. :)

I can't even imagine a "no one will touch Oaklawn" meet even if I employ some kinda conspiracy theory.

clicknow
06-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Thanks.

Wow, and congrats. That's quite a nice day.

What is the viewership of TVG2 these days? Just curious, I don't use TV anymore since I really liked HRTV.

v j stauffer
06-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Wow, and congrats. That's quite a nice day.

What is the viewership of TVG2 these days? Just curious, I don't use TV anymore since I really liked HRTV.

I'm not sure but will try to find out. Neither channel is on my cable system. I watch it on Roku.

MacTavish
06-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Best wishes to you, Vic. I've always enjoyed your calls and your commentary.

Mick

RunForTheRoses
06-25-2018, 07:55 PM
I remember about two years ago Vic was in a Keeneland contest and his method of preparation is to watch the horses races and make comments (plus TG). He posted his notes here, very interesting. That would be cool if he could do that (hint hint) for a track this weekend.

v j stauffer
06-25-2018, 08:14 PM
I remember about two years ago Vic was in a Keeneland contest and his method of preparation is to watch the horses races and make comments (plus TG). He posted his notes here, very interesting. That would be cool if he could do that (hint hint) for a track this weekend.

I did that this year for the two days of the Belmont contest. They are available to review at www.vicstauffer.com

Here's a question the PA brethren I think would be well qualified to answer.

Do you think if I made my trip notes available for purchase there would be a market?

And if so, what would be a fair price to charge?

Please don't bother suggesting I publish selections. That's NEVER going to happen.

But as a handicapping tool. Please take a look at the material on the website and let me know what you think.

It would be only for New York and Southern California each racing day.

Thanks

Afleet
06-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Actually we didn't extend our season. We adjusted the dates to start later in Jan. and finish further into the spring. As for your opinion that "no one will touch Oaklawn in the spring" I couldn't disagree more. Our field sizes are #1 in North America and the quality of horses who compete is elite.

We're very excited, for the first time, to be able to offer our fans live racing in conjunction with the Kentucky Derby simulcast.

Oaklawn Park!! Where the SUN ALWAYS SHINES.

That was worded poorly on my part. I meant there will be a competition for horses now that Oaklawn runs later than normal into KEE and CD meets. I'm a huge OP supporter. I go there every year multiple times.

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2018, 10:22 PM
I did that this year for the two days of the Belmont contest. They are available to review at www.vicstauffer.com

Do you think if I made my trip notes available for purchase there would be a market?

Please don't bother suggesting I publish selections. That's NEVER going to happen.

But as a handicapping tool. Please take a look at the material on the website and let me know what you think.

ThanksOh, NOW I get it...:pound:

GMB@BP
06-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Thanks

I have thought of this endeavor, and thought there would be some real value in it because having done trip notes for many meets its just time consuming.

Also I thought I was so so doing it on a grand scale, much better in isolated cases where I see something that is a point for me to bet back in the next race.

The issue though is that one person's trouble may not be the next persons, and the type of trouble that is profitable takes the most amount of understanding, everyone sees the obvious. Would the purchaser even know exactly what you are saying, unless you are telling them "BET this horse next time", which is less trip notes and more spot plays.

Now with quality pace figures readily available its also hard to even use pace type trips and get any real value.

v j stauffer
06-25-2018, 11:42 PM
I have thought of this endeavor, and thought there would be some real value in it because having done trip notes for many meets its just time consuming.

Also I thought I was so so doing it on a grand scale, much better in isolated cases where I see something that is a point for me to bet back in the next race.

The issue though is that one person's trouble may not be the next persons, and the type of trouble that is profitable takes the most amount of understanding, everyone sees the obvious. Would the purchaser even know exactly what you are saying, unless you are telling them "BET this horse next time", which is less trip notes and more spot plays.

Now with quality pace figures readily available its also hard to even use pace type trips and get any real value.

I completely disagree with your last sentence. IMO those two have little to do with each other and can be very effective independently.

As for my analysis. Sure I understand my opinion will be subjective. All opinions are.

One thing I want to make clear. I wouldn't be writing about a chart. But the PP's when the horses are entered back.

dilanesp
06-26-2018, 12:09 AM

Thanks

Back when you called the races at Hollywood Park your calls were as good as anyone's trip notes.

v j stauffer
06-26-2018, 12:15 AM
Back when you called the races at Hollywood Park your calls were as good as anyone's trip notes.

That's nice of you to say. I miss Hollywood Park very much. Still heartbroken.:mad:

VigorsTheGrey
06-26-2018, 01:09 AM
I remember reading Jerry Antonucci's selections in the Orange County Register newspaper for years....his daily entries included a brief one line comment on the last race of each horse (if I am remembering correctly) there used to be a number also so one could look up the race also...
https://www.nationalracemasters.com/handicapper/12/Jerry_Antonucci.html

v j stauffer
06-26-2018, 01:35 AM
I remember reading Jerry Antonucci's selections in the Orange County Register newspaper for years....his daily entries included a brief one line comment on the last race of each horse (if I am remembering correctly) there used to be a number also so one could look up the race also...
https://www.nationalracemasters.com/handicapper/12/Jerry_Antonucci.html

I remember that. There was a time when the entries came out with a number to correspond to the PP chart so the handicapper's could use it as a reference and tool.

RunForTheRoses
06-26-2018, 06:59 AM

Thanks

$5-$10 a day, discount for a series of days. Sounds good.

clicknow
06-26-2018, 12:04 PM
$5-$10 a day, discount for a series of days. Sounds good.

Daily is good but can really nickel and dime you, the provider, with little fees for each transaction, depending on how they pay?

I would offer, in addition, a value package, say $30/month (or whatever is cheap enough that the person will spring for that instead of the daily, and will see value in purchasing a whole month) might be way to go.

Some may only play 2 races a week but may still purchase the monthly package.

dilanesp
06-26-2018, 01:07 PM
That's nice of you to say. I miss Hollywood Park very much. Still heartbroken.:mad:

I remember you used to close the day by rattling off all the great horses that called Hollywood Park home. I heard it a hundred times but never got tired of it. :)

v j stauffer
06-26-2018, 04:00 PM
I remember you used to close the day by rattling off all the great horses that called Hollywood Park home. I heard it a hundred times but never got tired of it. :)

I would say names of horses or people that were significant to that days card. Or became of note. Maybe a super famous person presented a trophy. The only one that made the line up everyday and was always announced last was Zenyatta.

After a while people started call to see if they could be included in the rundown of names. I never took it overly seriously. One time the mutual manager had a teller celebrating his 50th wedding anniversary. Or there was an employee retiring after 40 years. They'd get a shout out.

Another HP tradition I miss were my nicknames for the bugler Jay Cohen. It started on just carryover days. After he'd blow for the start of the pick 6 I'd call him Jay "carryover" Cohen.

That really took off as well. Anything that was going on in the world could get a nickname shout out. An example would be after the NBA finals this year you might hear me call him Jay Durant. Jay himself loved it and would even call sometimes and asked to be called a certain name.

He's an avid hiker, mountain climber. One day he asked if I would call him Jay "Kilimanjaro" Cohen.

Such big FUN! Really miss everything about Hollywood Park. So sad.:(

thespaah
06-27-2018, 07:28 PM
I would say names of horses or people that were significant to that days card. Or became of note. Maybe a super famous person presented a trophy. The only one that made the line up everyday and was always announced last was Zenyatta.

After a while people started call to see if they could be included in the rundown of names. I never took it overly seriously. One time the mutual manager had a teller celebrating his 50th wedding anniversary. Or there was an employee retiring after 40 years. They'd get a shout out.

Another HP tradition I miss were my nicknames for the bugler Jay Cohen. It started on just carryover days. After he'd blow for the start of the pick 6 I'd call him Jay "carryover" Cohen.

That really took off as well. Anything that was going on in the world could get a nickname shout out. An example would be after the NBA finals this year you might hear me call him Jay Durant. Jay himself loved it and would even call sometimes and asked to be called a certain name.

He's an avid hiker, mountain climber. One day he asked if I would call him Jay "Kilimanjaro" Cohen.

Such big FUN! Really miss everything about Hollywood Park. So sad.:(

I still have a copy of the final photo finish picture at Hollywood.
Its hanging on my wall.
Sucks what happened to the track

v j stauffer
06-27-2018, 11:41 PM
I still have a copy of the final photo finish picture at Hollywood.
Its hanging on my wall.
Sucks what happened to the track

The horse who won that race was retired (sound) just a few months ago. Woodmans Luck.

VigorsTheGrey
06-27-2018, 11:41 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D31e7Rd_OtcI&ved=0ahUKEwic29iftfXbAhUKr1QKHQirDC0QwqsBCCcwAA&usg=AOvVaw1nclweWLXw8eX7pqSDYeJs

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D9r6yyoxnQOQ&ved=0ahUKEwic29iftfXbAhUKr1QKHQirDC0QwqsBCCowAQ&usg=AOvVaw13uisJf1ZLCr4SZrjC2cCW

2 final glimpses of Hollywood Park...

oughtoh
06-27-2018, 11:48 PM
I miss that track too. When my daughter was young and I would ask her what she wanted for your birthday, it would always be the same thing, she wanted to go to Hollywood Park and get box seats. She loved it.