PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions

TriSuper
09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
I see that Steve Asmussen starts serving a 15-day suspension today (clenbuterol positive for a horse who ran on Aug. 16, 2003 at Retama Park).

I also see that his assistant Scott Blasi is listed as the trainer for the barn on a few running at Saratoga today.

I've heard several people take this as a chance to bet against the barn but in my opinion it shouldn't matter much at all. Especially knowing that Blasi is the person who handles the horses for Asmussen at Saratoga on a daily basis.

Maybe even a chance to get a bit better odds? I'll be watching and betting if the prices are right.

What do you think?

Trisuper

My racing blog (http://attheraces.blogspot.com/)

Buddha
09-01-2004, 02:01 PM
yea, i think the suspended trainers horses usually should run just as well. especially for the big name trainers like asmussen who has stables at several tracks, the horses would already for the most part be trained by the assistants who will probably going named as th trainer while they are suspended

Valuist
09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Scott Blasi just saddled a winner w/Shake the Dice in the 3rd at Saratoga. 5-2 morning line, paid just under $11. The public must've thought it was a private purchase and new trainer because no reason that horse should've paid that.

TriSuper
09-01-2004, 04:32 PM
I see that ONE HOT GIRL is entered in tonight's 6th race at Retama. This one is listed as being trained by Tony Mathiasen but this is another one of assistants for Asmussen.

Listed at 6/1 on the Morning Line.

Trisuper

My website (http://attheraces.blogspot.com/)

saratoga guy
09-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Scott Blasi just saddled a winner w/Shake the Dice in the 3rd at Saratoga. 5-2 morning line, paid just under $11. The public must've thought it was a private purchase and new trainer because no reason that horse should've paid that.

Yeah, that would have to be considered a flaw in the DRF's PPs. Because the horse was claimed by Asmussen last time there was no line in the form reading "Previously trained by" -- because the horse never started for Asmussen.

However, Asmussen started his suspension today, Wednesday, so it seems reasonable to assume that all the Asmussen first-off-the-claim magic was in place -- and the guy is 30% in that category.

Morning line was 5-2 so you have to believe that the public was fooled by the listed trainer with no stats whatsoever...