PDA

View Full Version : New Triple Crown trophy

chiguy
06-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Got to be one of the ugliest trophies in all of sports. I know art is objective but man this thing is way to busy for me. IMHO the best trophies are of the simplest design. The Stanley Cup, The World Cup Trophy, the UEFA Champions League Trophy. The name "Triple Crown" gives so many possibilities that this ugly thing is a real disappointment. This sport.....

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/227907/new-trophy-awaits-next-triple-crown-winner#disqus_thread

dilanesp
06-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Got to be one of the ugliest trophies in all of sports. I know art is objective but man this thing is way to busy for me. IMHO the best trophies are of the simplest design. The Stanley Cup, The World Cup Trophy, the UEFA Champions League Trophy. The name "Triple Crown" gives so many possibilities that this ugly thing is a real disappointment. This sport.....

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/227907/new-trophy-awaits-next-triple-crown-winner#disqus_thread

That's really bad and I suspect this was a mild example of NYRA corruption.

There was no reason to replace the previous trophy. My guess is they were paid some money to do so.

The Stanley Cup, by the way, was organic. It was originally a silver cup. The tiers came later to fit more names on it.

chiguy
06-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Yes on the Stanley Cup and in fact every so many years (13 I think) the top ring which is the oldest is removed and a new ring added at the bottom. The old ring is retired to the hockey hall of fame. As a Blackhawks fan I became concerned a few years back when we were within a couple of decades of being removed completely from the cup. Luckily we won a few since then so we are good. Magnificent trophy to see in person with one of my favorite pictures of all time with me, the cup and my son when he was 8 or 9 years old.

dilanesp
06-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Yes on the Stanley Cup and in fact every so many years (13 I think) the top ring which is the oldest is removed and a new ring added at the bottom. The old ring is retired to the hockey hall of fame. As a Blackhawks fan I became concerned a few years back when we were within a couple of decades of being removed completely from the cup. Luckily we won a few since then so we are good. Magnificent trophy to see in person with one of my favorite pictures of all time with me, the cup and my son when he was 8 or 9 years old.

I got to visit the Stanley Cup in 1993-- they had it over at one of the airport hotels when the Kings were in the Stanley Cup Final. (Of course, McSorley's curved stick and several overtime losses did us in!) They were a lot more informal about everything back then; they just set the trophies out and let everyone come up right next to them.

It's really iconic. I got to see it again when the Kings won it the first time, when they beat the Devils. I went to the deciding game 6.

Blenheim
06-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Take a look at the old trophy and compare it to the new trophy - no comparison. Out with the old and in with the new.

dilanesp
06-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Take a look at the old trophy and compare it to the new trophy - no comparison. Out with the old and in with the new.

There was nothing wrong with the old trophy. It was designed by Cartier FFS.

rastajenk
06-07-2018, 06:32 AM
I've never read an opinion anywhere that the World Cup trophy is anything but butt-ugly. :eek:

chiguy
06-07-2018, 10:25 AM
That is why I said art is objective. I happen to think it is a beautiful piece of art.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2018, 10:29 AM
That's really bad and I suspect this was a mild example of NYRA corruption.Wow man...I mean...really....wow...

It's clear you have NYRA Derangement Syndrome.

Sad man...#feelsbad

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Take a look at the old trophy and compare it to the new trophy - no comparison. Out with the old and in with the new.Yeah, seriously...like the old trophy was something to behold?

MEH to both...couldn't care less either way.

dilanesp
06-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Wow man...I mean...really....wow...

It's clear you have NYRA Derangement Syndrome.

Sad man...#feelsbad

There's a fair amount of circumstantial evidence here. The story is clear that NYRA ordered the new trophy and contracted for it. Why would they do that if they had to pay full price and Pimlico and CD weren't participating? They must have gotten some sort of deal....

And it isn't like NYRA doesn't have a decades long record of corruption PA.

Tom
06-07-2018, 11:01 AM
There's a fair amount of circumstantial evidence here. The story is clear that NYRA ordered the new trophy and contracted for it. Why would they do that if they had to pay full price and Pimlico and CD weren't participating? They must have gotten some sort of deal....

And it isn't like NYRA doesn't have a decades long record of corruption PA.

Wow, what a leap to get to that conclusion! :lol:

Btw, here is the REAL trophy....