PDA

View Full Version : Scat Daddy 12F?

classhandicapper
06-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Anyone have any views on a Scat Daddy getting 12f?

jocko699
06-04-2018, 07:49 PM

I thought he was retired?

Ribot Roboto
06-04-2018, 07:49 PM
He’s past retired sadly.

jocko699
06-04-2018, 07:51 PM
He’s past retired sadly.

Um, I know that.

classhandicapper
06-04-2018, 08:02 PM
I guess I should have clearer?

Justify is by Scat Daddy.

Spalding No!
06-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Prior to Justify, there wasn't much to say about Scat Daddy at 10 furlongs or even Grade 1 performers on dirt.

Suffice it to say, 12 furlongs ought to be out of range, but in this case it will probably have more to do with Justify's physical condition or his inability to settle early at a slower pace than he's been running at...

Ribot Roboto
06-04-2018, 09:26 PM
He’s not just a Scat Daddy, he’s a Northern Dancer-Northern Dancer. There have been 5 or 6 ND sireline winners in the Belmont (the last was Union Rags) but never a ND-ND. One of them (Tabasco Cat) was even from the Storm Cat sireline like Scat Daddy but his dam was from the Ribot line. :D

He’s bucking history but he’s a freak. Who knows.

GMB@BP
06-04-2018, 10:03 PM
I think modern distance breeding is so trash with most of the field that they all will be staggering at the end.

Whats the dosage, isnt that the big thing for picking classic winners?

papillon
06-04-2018, 10:10 PM

I think whether Justify will be able to tootle along will be more important than his "getting" 12f. The problem with tootling is that it is not just a function of slowing down, it is doing so comfortably and consistently. Tootling for non-tootlers is energy draining.

Over on Paulick Report these guys said that Justify is good for the distance based on dosage and Tomlinson figures. They also say that a Curlin out of a Street Cry mare is no good based on dosage and Tomlinson figures.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/tci-who-has-the-pedigree-to-prevail-in-the-test-of-a-champion/

FWIW the Henessy line as a whole has not produced a lot of stayers.

Robert Fischer
06-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Scat Daddy was a good looking stallion. That was a well-put-together horse.

Justify is a once-in-a-generation-talent. This is a LeBron or a Bo Jackson or a Ken Griffey Jr.

Justify is also trained by Bob Baffert. Bob Baffert seems like he could get Danny DeVito into condition.

Justify also figures to be either the controlling speed, or the only good horse near the lead. He has the tactical speed to take the initiative, but he is comfortable cruising and pressing.

There are cases where you look for flaws or limitations in a pedigree for certain conditions. This is not one of those cases.

clicknow
06-05-2018, 12:03 AM
He’s not just a Scat Daddy, he’s a Northern Dancer-Northern Dancer. There have been 5 or 6 ND sireline winners in the Belmont (the last was Union Rags) but never a ND-ND.

Those ND/NDs don't usually make the starting gate for the KY Derby which is why they're scarce in TC.

Big Brown made it. But this brought back memories. Radiohead. Remember him? FL Derby 2010. Another one I liked was that Hard Spun colt, Battle Hardened, who raced under Keannelly that Tabor & Magnier bought as a yearling for $170K....he won the Sam Davis..was supposed to go to the Ky Derby but did so badly in the Tampa Bay, went straight to allowance races after that at Fonner, Beltera, Sunland, etc. and did okay in the under $10K races for quite a long while.