PDA

View Full Version : Terrible spill in Snow Chief

Tom
06-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Horse clipped heels, ride literally catapulted into the air in the stretch.
Chilling to watch him flying in the stretch. Announcers saying hardest hit to the ground they have seen in a longtime.

Hope he is ok- that was violent.

wisconsin
06-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Scary, rider helpless in the air and he was 15 feet in the air.

GMB@BP
06-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Horse clipped heels, ride literally catapulted into the air in the stretch.
Chilling to watch him flying in the stretch. Announcers saying hardest hit to the ground they have seen in a longtime.

Hope he is ok- that was violent.

I hope he is ok.

I used the horse in a contest, and I give the kid an A for courage because he had some horse but no where to go, just kind ran his horse into heals.

In hindsight for him and the horse a very poor decision.

picojim
06-02-2018, 07:13 PM
https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan/status/1003051724829962240

picojim
06-02-2018, 07:14 PM
https://twitter.com/TVG/status/1003051730865610752

papillon
06-02-2018, 08:22 PM
"Waya Ed has come to grief at the 16th pole"

Wrona is the best caller in the country. Slipped that seamslessly into the call in real time.

Best wishes for Tiago Pereira.

RIP Waya Ed:(

GMB@BP
06-02-2018, 08:24 PM
"Waya Ed has come to grief at the 16th pole"

Wrona is the best caller in the country. Slipped that seamslessly into the call in real time.

Best wishes for Tiago Pereira.

RIP Waya Ed:(

He came to grief because the rider made an insane move, if I was the owner I would be pretty pissed.

I hope the kid is ok, but man, just cant do what he did.

Tom
06-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Owner also owners the winner of the race.
Somber winner's circle.

What did he do?
Is there a video?

GMB@BP
06-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Somber winner's circle.

What did he do?
Is there a video?

They usually take that down. He was making a slight late move but there was a wall of horses in front of him, I dont know if he saw a hole or what, didnt look like any, he just kind push into the pack and clipped heals.

TiffaniO
06-02-2018, 09:09 PM
They usually take that down. He was making a slight late move but there was a wall of horses in front of him, I dont know if he saw a hole or what, didnt look like any, he just kind push into the pack and clipped heals.

I think he was following the hole that the :1: left vacant when he spurted away in mid stretch and the :5: drifted out into the path and the :6: drifted in slightly to his path. Thus suddenly no where to go and he’s already there.

GMB@BP
06-02-2018, 09:25 PM
I think he was following the hole that the :1: left vacant when he spurted away in mid stretch and the :5: drifted out into the path and the :6: drifted in slightly to his path. Thus suddenly no where to go and he’s already there.

It was a brave move for sure. Most riders would not have been so bold.

098poi
06-02-2018, 09:29 PM
TwinSpires has the full view which is awful to watch. It is tough to see what and how the horse goes down but it is horrific. The head on view has the fall edited out which maybe is a good thing. My best wishes for the jock and condolences to connections of Waya Ed.

theiman
06-02-2018, 09:29 PM
https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan/status/1003083747934105600

Released from Hospital, sore but OK

Hambletonian
06-02-2018, 09:37 PM
It was a brave move for sure. Most riders would not have been so bold.

Brave?

No.

A stupid move that cost his horse his life.

I have no sympathy for the rider at all.

GMB@BP
06-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Brave?

No.

I was trying to be nice, I posted that it was not smart, lots of brave things are done that are not the best move.

Spalding No!
06-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Somber winner's circle.

Morbid coincidence, but the same set of circumstances took place in last year's Snow Chief.

Calli Way, the stablemate of the winner, Marckie's Water, broke down near the wire and had to be humanely destroyed.

As he was today, Joe Talamo was aboard the winner that day.

castaway01
06-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Morbid coincidence, but the same set of circumstances took place in last year's Snow Chief.

Calli Way, the stablemate of the winner, Marckie's Water, broke down near the wire and had to be humanely destroyed.

As he was today, Joe Talamo was aboard the winner that day.

That's truly strange.

My condolences to the connections, and I'm glad the rider miraculously escaped serious injury. I'm not in the mood right now to watch the replay so I'll skip passing judgment on whether it was a brave or foolish riding move. Racing has a lot of both, often at the same time.

jay68802
06-03-2018, 11:49 AM
This move by the rider happens at tracks on a almost daily basis, I am surprised that this outcome does not happen more often. IMO, I would rather see a effort by the jockey than have him give up. That being said, I am glad he is OK, and feel for the connections.

TiffaniO
06-03-2018, 12:02 PM
This move by the rider happens at tracks on a almost daily basis, I am surprised that this outcome does not happen more often. IMO, I would rather see a effort by the jockey than have him give up. That being said, I am glad he is OK, and feel for the connections.

I agree... especially on turf... if he steadied and swung out, people would scream “wtf was that?”

MadVindication
06-03-2018, 01:26 PM
It seems easier to call a jock stupid brave when there's an accident than if he/she were to pull a gutsy move and win. It's one of the most dangerous sports and they make it look easy most of the time.

Pine Tree Lane
06-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Brave?

No.

The chart Indicates that Hit the Seam came out in the final 16th. You can clearly see the horse drift into Waya Ed’s path.

Not sure Pereira did anything wrong.

GMB@BP
06-03-2018, 04:14 PM
The chart Indicates that Hit the Seam came out in the final 16th. You can clearly see the horse drift into Waya Ed’s path.

Not sure Pereira did anything wrong.

Then there should have been a disqualification, either he had a whole and was impeded or he ran up on heals...

Spalding No!
06-03-2018, 10:00 PM
That's truly strange.

Dig a little more digging, and the coincidence is even more strange.

The two injured horses, Calli Way from 2017 and Waya Ed from this year, were half brothers.

jocko699
06-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Dig a little more digging, and the coincidence is even more strange.

The two injured horses, Calli Way from 2017 and Waya Ed from this year, were half brothers.

For the first time in my 45 years of following SoCal racing I really am distraught at the young riders. I feel they are dangerous riders, this includes Cebellos, Fig, Espinosa, etc...

Tom
06-03-2018, 11:30 PM
I am surprised we don't have more spills the ways some of today's "big name" rides rely more on herding and intimidation than skill.

Good thing half of them grab out of the gate to stay out of their way. :rolleyes: