PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Park Goes "Odd Ball"

Thomas Roulston
06-01-2018, 09:45 AM
In their second condition book, there is an "odd ball" claiming race written for July 7th. In it, both 3-year-olds and older horses will have a base weight of 115 lbs. The base claiming price is $8,000, with each additional $1,000 of claiming price adding 2 lbs. to the weight. The distance is 1 1/16 miles. There is a second such race, at 6 furlongs, scheduled for July 14.

So far as I know, Monmouth is the highest-class track that has ever run such a race - assuming that it actually does get run.

Ruffian1
06-01-2018, 11:02 AM
My favorite was the 4 and up for roans and greys only going 1 1/16th on the turf. That was at Gulfstream. My dear late friend Bobby Umphrey wrote that one. He had some Jersey ties back in the day.
Some of those Jersey racing office guys can write some odd ones for sure. But IMO the variety of such odd races were fun to run in, and fun to watch. But that's just my view.

Thomas Roulston
06-01-2018, 12:12 PM
A while back I proposed an entire card's worth of such races:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134064&highlight=Extreme+Day

castaway01
06-01-2018, 03:08 PM
My favorite was the 4 and up for roans and greys only going 1 1/16th on the turf. That was at Gulfstream. My dear late friend Bobby Umphrey wrote that one. He had some Jersey ties back in the day.
Some of those Jersey racing office guys can write some odd ones for sure. But IMO the variety of such odd races were fun to run in, and fun to watch. But that's just my view.

Probably inspired by the "Grey Ghost" turf race that the Meadowlands used to run on or around Halloween each year...

onefast99
06-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Probably written for Navarro!