PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018

horses4courses
05-28-2018, 11:02 PM
It's nearly here :jump:

I have no country to root for with both USA and Ireland staying home.
Still, it's going to be great to watch even if I have no dog in the fight.

Hoping Mo Salah recovers in time to play for Egypt.
He was dragged to the ground by Ramos in the ECL final.
Could have been a red card. An Egyptian lawyer is suing Ramos.
Good luck with that, but it shows the passion there is for the sport.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sergio-ramos-sued-for-1-billion-by-egyptian-lawyer-after-mohamed-salah-injury-a3849566.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V16OnVst0bc

horses4courses
05-28-2018, 11:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeRMh0OU0AE1X6e.jpg:small

Has to be Pele for me.
The complete package plus pure genius. :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
05-28-2018, 11:56 PM
*Times listed below are GMT:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeRlvsHWsAAC6yT.jpg:small

thaskalos
05-29-2018, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure if Pele was the best ever player, because I am a bigger fan of the European style of futball...but I think Lev Yashin was clearly the best ever goalkeeper.

horses4courses
05-29-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure if Pele was the best ever player, because I am a bigger fan of the European style of futball...but I think Lev Yashin was clearly the best ever goalkeeper.

I was 8 years old when Yashin played in the 1966 World Cup.
Definitely one of the greats of the game.
Russia could use him this year - I think they will be under pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crdat6VM2HA

snappit
06-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Pele still the greatest for me although many others could lay claim. Messi and Maradona have to be up there but Pele was around when my interest in football started in 1970 so I will stick up for him and he was a total gentleman. Never liked Maradona especially after his cheating to knock England out of the 1986 tournament, although I will concede his second goal was sheer brilliance.

Obviously rooting for England but don't think they will go far, perhaps the quarter finals. Un-original but I think it will be Germany who always put up a good show, Brazil or Belgium. Only eight teams Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Uruguay, Argentina and England, have ever won so it would be nice to see a new name on the trophy so would love to see Belgium do well.

snappit
06-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Maradona's goal against England in 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjTZA4XmDc

snappit
06-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Maradona's cheating in the same match when he punched the ball into the net, very probably off side as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ccNkksrfls

snappit
06-12-2018, 05:22 PM
The Brazil team of 1970 were probably the best I've seen and I would put this at the top of the list of all time goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5HbmeNKino

snappit
06-12-2018, 05:26 PM
And, talking of goalkeepers, Gordon Banks from England has to be one of the best. This save from Pele's header in the same 1970 tournament is the best I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngE9RCAdWaE

horses4courses
06-13-2018, 11:07 PM
snappit,

We are similar in age, as the first World Cup I watched at length was in 1970.
That Brazilian team was very special, and a joy to watch.

Hard to see England reaching the last four this year.
Any of the top four rated teams could win, and you can probably
add Argentina and Belgium into the mix. Both have very strong squads.

The highest ranked teams are all capable on past performances.
It is what they put forward in the next month that wins the trophy.
Group matches are often routine for the top nations.
They aren't really tested until they reach the elimination stage.

Could there be a rank outsider (high odds long shot) making the semis?
Unlikely, but everyone's dream is still alive - at least for their group matches.

Good luck to anyone making a wager! :ThmbUp:

_______
06-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Soccer missed me by a few years. As evident by my use of the term “soccer”.

I did hear an interesting podcast talking about the problem with American futbol (look!) being it’s reliance on high income families as the source of most of it’s players.

Poor kids (Hispanic, Black, Asian, Appalachian, or otherwise) don’t get the opportunities that lead to the national team.

I know nothing about this sport and find it boring as hell. I have zero investment.

But I thought I’d stir the pot and see what came to the surface.

Please describe how my 60 minute podcast didn’t nail this sucker shut.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-14-2018, 09:50 PM

I don't know. Sylvester Stallone looked pretty darn good in the movie Victory

HalvOnHorseracing
06-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Soccer missed me by a few years. As evident by my use of the term “soccer”.

I did hear an interesting podcast talking about the problem with American futbol (look!) being it’s reliance on high income families as the source of most of it’s players.

Poor kids (Hispanic, Black, Asian, Appalachian, or otherwise) don’t get the opportunities that lead to the national team.

I know nothing about this sport and find it boring as hell. I have zero investment.

But I thought I’d stir the pot and see what came to the surface.

Please describe how my 60 minute podcast didn’t nail this sucker shut.

First, the best athletes in the U.S. have always gravitated to football, basketball and baseball. I believe a lot of these athletes will eschew football and soccer may benefit.

You're right about poorer folk not really embracing the game, but again as football becomes less attractive, they may play that game. You can play soccer with one ball on any kind surface. You don't need a 110 X 55 yard stadium with perfectly groomed grass.

If it's boring it is probably a lack of appreciation for the skill it takes to play the game. Yes, there are far too many kicks back to the goalie, and some teams are far too patient with the ball in the midfield, but a good attack is exciting.

The players love to take their shirts off and show off the six-packs. Of course if you were running 7-8 miles in a game - well, let's just say you have to be a really great athlete to do that.

I've done a few pieces on the worst rules in soccer and how the game could be improved, but when you are dealing with something people call the "beautiful game" it's hard to convince people

Dave Schwartz
06-14-2018, 11:57 PM

As was I. My limited experience was when I was in college in Ireland. We had George Best, and I will always think of him as the best player ever. Pretty much the Mickey Mantle of soccer.

I think the reason the game is so difficult for many Americans of my generation is because most of us never played the game as kids. Being from the south, I never connected with hockey, either, but I learned to love the sport anyway. (Still don't really understand it as I do the games I player, though.)

snappit
06-15-2018, 03:21 AM
Interesting stuff and good to see a thread like this on an American forum. Agree, you can't really leave George Best of a list of the best ever. Overlooked really, as coming from Northern Ireland he never got the chance to play on the world stage. That and his alcohol problems, he died far too young. Probably one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen.

I think America as a whole will 'get' football eventually as it seems to be getting more popular there, especially with the young. Not qualifying this year hasn't helped the cause. I don't know if you heard but it was just announced that the US will host the 2026 tournament jointly with Canada and Mexico. That will be a big boost.

The one thing about football, as has been said, you can just start a game anywhere, I remember as a kid we'd play in the street or just pop down to the park and put a couple of jumpers down for the goal.

I don't know much about American football although do try and watch the superbowl even though I haven't got a clue what is happening. :) It's certainly a good show.

I do like baseball and went to see some games when I visited the US and Canada. You never know we might even be able to get you to like cricket, my favourite game. Although I'm not that convinced I will be able to attract you to a game that lasts 5 days and end in a draw. You might quite like the shorter one day game though.

thaskalos
06-15-2018, 06:04 AM
I think the reason the game is so difficult for many Americans of my generation is because most of us never played the game as kids. Being from the south, I never connected with hockey, either, but I learned to love the sport anyway. (Still don't really understand it as I do the games I player, though.)

It's hard to really appreciate the game if one hasn't grown up with it from a young age. The sports-related cultural difference between the U.S. and Europe is striking. In Europe, when a little kid finds a ball on the street...he kicks it. Here...the little kid picks up the ball and throws it. This inherent instinct places soccer at a big disadvantage as the kids are growing up in this country.

Dave Schwartz
06-15-2018, 09:54 AM
It's hard to really appreciate the game if one hasn't grown up with it from a young age. The sports-related cultural difference between the U.S. and Europe is striking. In Europe, when a little kid finds a ball on the street...he kicks it. Here...the little kid picks up the ball and throws it. This inherent instinct places soccer at a big disadvantage as the kids are growing up in this country.

Completely agree.

It is also the reason that Europeans who entered the NFL typically did so as kickers instead of players: their base was in a completely different paradigm.

Of course, now we have a melding of everything and in this and future generations more North Americans will play futbol from a young age.

jocko699
06-15-2018, 04:45 PM
And today's Portugal vs Spain game one again proves that Ronaldo is the greatest player on the planet.

thaskalos
06-15-2018, 04:53 PM
And today's Portugal vs Spain game one again proves that Ronaldo is the greatest player on the planet.

Ronaldo is very unlucky to be playing at the same time as Messi is. Otherwise...he would be universally accepted as the world's greatest player. Now...such an assessment seems debatable, IMO.

Denny
06-15-2018, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure if Pele was the best ever player, because I am a bigger fan of the European style of futball...but I think Lev Yashin was clearly the best ever goalkeeper."

Just found this thread and started reading. Nice to see you here Thask.

I love soccer (calcho?) and played some as a boy while spending time in Italy, many years ago. Was one of the only Americans interested at that time.

Saw Pele play in person while he was with the Cosmos at Hofstra on Long Island (before they went to Jersey). 1970's.

Can still visualize him scoring on a bicycle kick! What a thrill!

Probably root for France, with Italy not there. Or Argentina.
Have a cousin in Brasil though. :D

Denny
06-15-2018, 07:25 PM

If you like soccer too, I'm not arguing with you any more.

:D

Or Dave either.

:)

Time for Mohawk.

PhantomOnTour
06-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Messi has yet to do it at the International level, despite the fact that Argentina are better than Portugal and play in a weaker area of the world.
Cristiano led Portugal to the Euro16 title...Messi has yet to win anything for his country.
They're both accomplished at the club level, but the international level success gives Cristiano the edge in my book

ronsmac
06-15-2018, 09:23 PM
The recuperative power of soccer players are 2nd to none. I saw at least 5 players who appeared to have career threatening injuries in the Portugal-Spain match , but by the Grace of God made miraculous recoveries.

barahona44
06-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Soccer is people running in circles in their underwear for 2 hours. No wonder the fans are always getting drunk and rioting. :D

On a serious note,I've tried to give the game a tumble but what I find frustrating is the lack of momentum in a play.Unlike hockey (the closest sport it resembles),where there is genuine excitement on a breakaway or a 3 on 2 play because the puck is easier to control and the legitimate possibility of a scoring opportunity, in soccer inevitably someone over runs or misses a pass (or whatever they call it) from their teammate and everyone has to regroup.Again and again.I find it aggravating, not enough of a payoff for all the movement.What if every football game (a real game played by real men :cool:),the score was 7-3 or 10-0.It wouldn't have the popularity it now enjoys.

horses4courses
06-16-2018, 12:45 AM
The recuperative power of soccer players are 2nd to none. I saw at least 5 players who appeared to have career threatening injuries in the Portugal-Spain match , but by the Grace of God made miraculous recoveries.

It's how the game is played.
You are helping your team if you can sell that bit extra to a ref
after you have been fouled. It can be frustrating to watch at times,
but as your opponents accumulate cautions (yellow cards), they
run the risk of losing a player for the rest of the game (red cards).

The only US sport I could compare selling a foul to a ref
is in basketball. Even there, though, it's different.

Soccer players at the top level can earn a reputation for
exaggerating fouls. Regular offenders should be penalized.

horses4courses
06-16-2018, 12:51 AM
Soccer is people running in circles in their underwear for 2 hours. No wonder the fans are always getting drunk and rioting. :D

On a serious note,I've tried to give the game a tumble but what I find frustrating is the lack of momentum in a play.Unlike hockey (the closest sport it resembles),where there is genuine excitement on a breakaway or a 3 on 2 play because the puck is easier to control and the legitimate possibility of a scoring opportunity, in soccer inevitably someone over runs or misses a pass (or whatever they call it) from their teammate and everyone has to regroup.Again and again.I find it aggravating, not enough of a payoff for all the movement.What if every football game (a real game played by real men :cool:),the score was 7-3 or 10-0.It wouldn't have the popularity it now enjoys.

It's an acquired taste.
There is an art to good defending in soccer,
even though most people watch to see goals.

By and large, most goal-less games are boring.
Every now and then, though, a game with few
or even no goals, is better to watch than a
higher scoring one.

ronsmac
06-16-2018, 09:28 AM
It's how the game is played.
You are helping your team if you can sell that bit extra to a ref
after you have been fouled. It can be frustrating to watch at times,
but as your opponents accumulate cautions (yellow cards), they
run the risk of losing a player for the rest of the game (red cards).

The only US sport I could compare selling a foul to a ref
is in basketball. Even there, though, it's different.

Soccer players at the top level can earn a reputation for
exaggerating fouls. Regular offenders should be penalized.I was making a joke.

PhantomOnTour
06-16-2018, 12:45 PM
I was making a joke.
Gee...
Thanks for your injection of humor. We haven't heard that one before

ronsmac
06-16-2018, 04:39 PM
Gee...
Thanks for your injection of humor. We haven't heard that one beforeTrue, but it never gets old. It's a beautiful combination of sport and WWE.

Denny
06-16-2018, 11:41 PM
It's a sport that all can play.

You don't have to be a giant (basketball) or weigh 275 pounds (football) or buy expensive equipment (hockey).

That's why it's the World's Game.

It's for everyone.

cj
06-17-2018, 12:37 PM
This Germany Mexico match is fabulous.

thaskalos
06-17-2018, 01:01 PM
The Mexicans are rejoicing, worldwide. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

cj
06-17-2018, 01:10 PM
The Mexicans are rejoicing, worldwide. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Go North America!

horses4courses
06-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Absolutely.
Great start for Mexico.
Hope they can build on it.

bobphilo
06-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Interesting stuff and good to see a thread like this on an American forum. Agree, you can't really leave George Best of a list of the best ever. Overlooked really, as coming from Northern Ireland he never got the chance to play on the world stage. That and his alcohol problems, he died far too young. Probably one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen.

Best was one of the greatest ever. When asked what he did with all the money he earned he said "I spent 90% of it on women, booze and fast cars. The rest I just pissed away." What a character.
Sadly, his lifestyle shortened his career and life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWWA-h_-5g

horses4courses
06-17-2018, 04:42 PM
George Best and Bobby Charlton were idols of mine in my childhood.
This year marks 50 years for me as a Manchester United supporter.
Great memories. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
06-17-2018, 05:19 PM
My favorite player...for over 45 years now. :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRmJuiy_Y6w

PhantomOnTour
06-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Germany got a lesson today. It's rare when they are outsmarted. Mexico exploited them on the counter all day long. The German wing backs were caught too far upfield all game, esp Kimmich. They got in behind him a lot.
Could have been worse than 1-0

bobphilo
06-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Messi has yet to do it at the International level, despite the fact that Argentina are better than Portugal and play in a weaker area of the world.
Cristiano led Portugal to the Euro16 title...Messi has yet to win anything for his country.
They're both accomplished at the club level, but the international level success gives Cristiano the edge in my book

Portugal won the Euro16 final without the help of Ronaldo who was injured and subbed out a few minutes into the game. Anything can happen in single game final. Argentina is a strong team internationally due in large part to Messi's play. He just didn't happen to be on the team in the small sample of finals that Argentina won.

horses4courses
06-17-2018, 07:12 PM
My favorite player...for over 45 years now. :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRmJuiy_Y6w

Definitely one of the best ever :ThmbUp:

bobphilo
06-17-2018, 10:38 PM
It's a sport that all can play.

You don't have to be a giant (basketball) or weigh 275 pounds (football) or buy expensive equipment (hockey).

That's why it's the World's Game.

It's for everyone.

Well put. The average size man or woman can more closely identify with the athletes on the soccer pitch - the true football where the ball is played with the foot. Great footballers stand out by their athleticism and skill and not due to some freak of nature in their anatomy.
It also brings together people internationally and not just locally.
I also find it both amusing and arrogant when teams that win local and national championships like the Super Bowl or World Series declare themselves "World Champions"when no other country plays the game.
The highest level of achievement in any sport comes with true world championship which is missing in most major U.S. sports but is shared by international horse racing and soccer football.

snappit
06-18-2018, 03:36 AM
Great to see you all so interested and I might even forgive you calling it soccer:)

Thought the Mexico - Germany game was superb and well done to the Mexicans especially as Germany are our main foes on the football field. Would never write the Germans off though, they have a fantastic attitude and won't give up. Really pleased to see Iceland do so well against Argentina, thought they did well to take Messi out of the game, surrounding him as soon as he got the ball and not allowing him to use his skill to full effect. With Brazil and Spain failing to win it's been a fascinating start. A long way to go though.

Excitement building over here for England's first match tonight against Tunisia, it's the main item on all news broadcasts and in the papers. Normally expectations are high but we fail to deliver. This time round expectations are not high so that may actually help us. We should win tonight, we do have a skilful team but they are young and inexperienced. I just hope they relax, enjoy the experience and don't get a roasting from the press if they don't do well. There will be well over two thousand England fans in the stadium with some who have even cycled there. Let's hope for a good match and even better result.

snappit
06-18-2018, 06:36 PM
A pleasing start for England. They started really well and were all over the Tunisians in the first half hour. We tailed off later but still controlled the game and got that very late goal to win the game. We had plenty of chances to score and should have won the game with a bigger score but failed to finish. Not happy with the performance of the referee and we should definitely have had a penalty when Kane was bundled to the ground. Still, that will give the players confidence and it was good to see them keep plugging away and not giving up. Panama next on Sunday.

elysiantraveller
06-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Russia - Egypt a wonderful game so far to watch.

jocko699
06-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Maybe they can beat Nigeria! I doubt it but either way they are going home after the match.

BlueChip@DRF
06-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Ronaldo is very unlucky to be playing at the same time as Messi is. Otherwise...he would be universally accepted as the world's greatest player. Now...such an assessment seems debatable, IMO.

Sounds like the Affirmed/Alydar debate. :cool:

I think this may be Ronaldo's time to shine.

snappit
06-21-2018, 07:34 PM
I thought Argentina were abysmal. The worst I have ever seen them play. What was their goalkeeper playing at for the first goal? What made things worse was Croatia weren't exactly brilliant themselves but they outshone Argentina. Messi hardly got in the game at all. Shame such a good player has to play with a team so bad.

Before the tournament I thought they had a chance to win, I think I was way of the mark and looks like they might have serious problems in getting through to the final sixteen.

bobphilo
06-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Messi looked like he was attending a funeral while they were still playing the national anthems before the game even began. As the captain and team leader he set the tone for the whole teamwho played like bunch of dead men.
It's sad to see how such a great player and team could fall so dramatically. :(

snappit
06-24-2018, 01:13 PM
What a result for England beating Panama 6-1. I know Panama are a really poor side so we shouldn't get too over excited but things have gone slightly mad over here. It does mean we are through to the next round and we showed some quality. Have to be careful though as we did make some mistakes which will be punished by a decent side and we do need to work on our defence as that looks shaky at times.

I was impressed with Germany last night because of the way they fought on despite going a goal down and getting that last minute goal to win. If they had lost they would have been out and even a draw might not have been good enough. Never write them off. with what was at stake I thought the most exciting match so far.

Other news today England beat Australia in the One Day international Cricket 5 match series having beaten them in the previous four games to complete a series whitewash. Beating the aussies in cricket is one of the most important things in sport here. With Lewis Hamilton winning the French Grand Prix to go top of the F1 World Championship it's been rather a good day to be English.

dnlgfnk
06-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Messi looked like he was attending a funeral while they were still playing the national anthems before the game even began. As the captain and team leader he set the tone for the whole teamwho played like bunch of dead men.
It's sad to see how such a great player and team could fall so dramatically. :(

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/1009860997757243393

snappit
06-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Colombia were superb tonight. Could possibly be be England's opponents in the next round. Don't fancy getting them if they keep that up.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-24-2018, 11:07 PM
Colombia were superb tonight. Could possibly be be England's opponents in the next round. Don't fancy getting them if they keep that up.

I like England. Harry Kane doesn't have the moves of a Messi, but he has a super nose for the ball near the goal.

Mexico seems a lot better than I remember them being in the past.

Neymar Jr. is a marked man for Brazil. He is taking a beating on the field.

bobphilo
06-25-2018, 07:08 AM
Mexico seems a lot better than I remember them being in the past.

Mexico was also impressive in the last World Cup. Ochoa in goal is in the same top form and Chicharito is always dangerous up front.

thaskalos
06-25-2018, 06:41 PM
MOROCCO???

horses4courses
06-25-2018, 06:51 PM
I've been thinking Spain would step up and show their class.
Nothing doing. They look pretty ordinary.

Belgium and England have impressed so far, albeit against weak opponents.
They will have a pretty meaningless game against each other soon.

Hard to judge, at this point, who has what it takes to lift the trophy.
Being impressive in your group means very little.
They start playing for keeps soon.

If someone put a gun to my head to pick the winner, though,
I'd take a guess and say Belgium. Loads of talent there.

snappit
06-27-2018, 06:40 PM
I've been thinking Spain would step up and show their class.
Nothing doing. They look pretty ordinary.

Belgium and England have impressed so far, albeit against weak opponents.
They will have a pretty meaningless game against each other soon.

Hard to judge, at this point, who has what it takes to lift the trophy.
Being impressive in your group means very little.
They start playing for keeps soon.

If someone put a gun to my head to pick the winner, though,
I'd take a guess and say Belgium. Loads of talent there.

I don't think the England / Belgium game is meaningless to be honest. I know both teams are through anyway but the result will dictate who wins the group and who comes second, that then dictates which half of the draw they go in. Ironically the winners will go in the half which looks much more difficult so it will be fascinating to see how the two teams approach the game as losing could potentially be better. England's manager has already said though they will be going out to win as they want to keep up the momentum. Belgium on the other hand are reported as thinking about making ten changes to their team and fielding a weakened side so it looks like they are not worried about winning and wanting to go in the bottom half of the draw.

Today was fantastic with the big news Germany are out, the first time in 80 years they have failed to get past the first round. Watched the game and Germany were awful, this is the worst German team I have seen and they deserved to go out. The Germany - England rivalry in football is one of the biggest in the world so we were almost as happy to see Germany out as we are to see England go through. This is the first time since 1966 that England have got further than Germany and we won the tournament that year beating them in the final so hopefully that could be an omen. I still think we will struggle to get past the last eight even if we win in the next round and some of our weaknesses will be exposed against the better teams but we have to have hope.

snappit
06-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Latest odds over here.

Brazil 7/2
Spain 9/2
Belgium 7/1
England 8/1
France 8/1
Croatia 12/1
Argentina 14/1
Uruguay 22/1
Portugal 22/1
Colombia 33/1
Switzerland 40/1
Sweden 66/1
Russia 66/1
Mexico 66/1
Denmark 80/1
Senegal 150/1
Japan 250/1

bobphilo
06-27-2018, 07:59 PM
Latest odds over here.

Brazil 7/2
Spain 9/2
Belgium 7/1
England 8/1
France 8/1
Croatia 12/1
Argentina 14/1
Uruguay 22/1
Portugal 22/1
Colombia 33/1
Switzerland 40/1
Sweden 66/1
Russia 66/1
Mexico 66/1
Denmark 80/1
Senegal 150/1
Japan 250/1

Looks like a pretty accurate assessment. Brazil looks particularly strong with Belgium the next most likely. These teams are loaded with talent. However, I would rate Uruguay higher than these odds with Suarez and Calvani in top form.
You have good reason to be optimistic about England with their best team in years.

snappit
06-30-2018, 07:58 AM
Last 16

Today:

France v Argentina
Uruguay v Portugal

Sunday:

Spain v Russia
Croatia v Denmark

Monday:

Brazil v Mexico
Belgium v Japan

Tuesday

Sweden v Switzerland
Colombia v England

This is where it gets really exciting. Lose and your out. Extra time, penalty shoot outs. Can't wait. My prediction: Brazil v Spain in the final.

bobphilo
06-30-2018, 01:52 PM
France 4 - Argentina 3 in a thriller. France has really come alive though the 3 goals they allowed makes the defense suspect. It's a shame they will likely have to face Brazil so soon in the next round. Could be a great match-up for Final.
19 year old Mbabane looks like a future super star for France.

bobphilo
06-30-2018, 02:20 PM
France 4 - Argentina 3 in a thriller. France has really come alive though the 3 goals they allowed makes the defense suspect. It's a shame they will likely have to face Brazil so soon in the next round. Could be a great match-up for Final.
19 year old Mbabane looks like a future super star for France.

Correction: France won't have to face Brazil until the stage after next. However,
they will likely have to play Uruguay next - another strong team with Suarez and Calvani (my favorite player)

snappit
07-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Well we are in the knockout stage and the shocks go on. What a tournament this is. Yesterday Argentina and Portugal go out and just now unbelievably Spain go out to Russia on penalties after the game finished 1-1. I love the drama of penalty shootouts (unless England are involved as we never win them and I normally can't bare to watch).

PhantomOnTour
07-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Anyone who follows the sport is not shocked by yesterday's results. France are simply better than Argentina and Uruguay & Portugal were evenly matched.
England and Croatia should cruise into the semis

snappit
07-01-2018, 03:19 PM
No one cruises anywhere at this stage. Croatia haven't been particularly impressive during the first half against Denmark during the game on at present and they need to up their game in the second half.

I've been watching England for nearly 50 years and they never make things easy for themselves. This is their best chance to get to a major final for years but it won't be easy. Colombia were very impressive last Sunday but not so in their two other games. It all depends on which Colombia turn up on Tuesday. England are still a very young and inexperienced side and have a big weakness with their goalkeeper. He is a decent keeper but without being disrespectful to him he is just not in the same class as many others. In the past our goalies have been our strength but no longer. Most of the top Premiership teams use foreign keepers. The Belgium game was the only time he has been really tested so far and he made mistakes which the other teams will have noticed. they will have seen where he is weak and try and exploit that.

Even if England beat Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland will be no walkovers. Remember we lost to Iceland in the Euro's. England have a poor record at the knockout stage of tournaments only winning six since 1966 and not one since 2006. However, as I said this is their best chance for a while and I will be shouting madly for them, albeit nervously. And I pray their games don't go to penalties as we have the worst record in the world at shootouts.

snappit
07-01-2018, 05:28 PM
Wow. Croatia v Denmark. Not a particularly great game but you can't say it didn't have drama. Denmark go ahead after just one minute, Croatia equalise just 3 minutes later. Remains 1-1 for rest of match and goes to extra time. Continues at 1-1 and then Croatia get awarded a penalty right at the death. Modric steps up to take it but Schmeichel saves it. Match finishes 1-1 and it is now another penalty shoot out. Croatia win the shootout and are through to the next round. Croatia didn't deserve to win but then neither did Denmark but a poor game will be remembered for the drama. I'm loving this tournament.

PhantomOnTour
07-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Belgium, everybody's darling team, are on the ropes

thaskalos
07-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Belgium is down 2-0 to Japan in the 58th minute...and the announcer says:

"Belgium can still come back and win this game...but they'll have to be a little sharper than they've been." :lol:

PhantomOnTour
07-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Belgium, everybody's darling team, are on the ropes

Belgium scores...this should be a very exciting final 20mins
2-1 Japan right now

PhantomOnTour
07-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Gol gol gol de Belgica! Fellaini equalizes!

PhantomOnTour
07-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Ohhhhhhhh the drama, and the glory !!!!!
What a game

NJ Stinks
07-02-2018, 03:59 PM
What a tough loss for Japan! I'm no expert but these teams can pass the ball.

thaskalos
07-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Ohhhhhhhh the drama, and the glory !!!!!
What a game

DRAMATICO FINAL!!! :)

snappit
07-02-2018, 05:50 PM
The first half of the game was poor but what a second half. Really wanted Japan to win (we're suckers for the underdog over here). Thought Japan played well even though Belgium are clearly the better side. Have to feel for Japan going out to a goal that was practically the last kick. On a positive note it was a profitable game for me. Even when Japan went two up I still thought Belgium would get back up so I placed a bet on Belgium on the Betfair exchange at decent odds. When Belgium got it back to 2-2 the odds swung right the other way so I was able to place a bet on Japan at good odds. I was then able to enjoy the rest of the game knowing whoever won I had made a nice profit.

Big game for us tomorrow night.

horses4courses
07-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Great comeback by Belgium.
Japan could give any team a tough game.

After today, I now have a team to root against.
That would be Brazil.

I know that Neymar is blessed with talent.
He also gets fouled quite often.
To react and simulate injury the way he does, though,
does a disservice to a great sport.

I'd like to see him get a red card for it sometime. :ThmbUp:

Allez la Belgique! :jump:

snappit
07-02-2018, 06:36 PM

After today, I now have a team to root against.
That would be Brazil.

I know that Neymar is blessed with talent.
He also gets fouled quite often.
To react and simulate injury the way he does, though,
does a disservice to a great sport.

I'd like to see him get a red card for it sometime. :ThmbUp:

Allez la Belgique! :jump:

Agree, it was a disgrace. Sadly there is too much of it going on nowadays.

ronsmac
07-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Excuse my ignorance but I remember a time when the goalie could only take x amount of steps without dribbling the ball. Did they do away with that rule? The Belgium goalie just took off.

ronsmac
07-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Excuse my ignorance but I remember a time when the goalie could only take x amount of steps without dribbling the ball. Did they do away with that rule? The Belgium goalie just took off. I guess I should have said the Belgian goalie. Also, I'll probably be in Delaware tomorrow does anyone know if there is a limit and if so how much on soccer Wagers?

snappit
07-03-2018, 04:01 PM
The goal keeper can take as many steps as he wishes but I think can only hold the ball for about 6 seconds.

snappit
07-03-2018, 04:02 PM
I'm living on the edge here. England 1-0 up then concede in the last couple of minutes of added time.

snappit
07-03-2018, 05:53 PM
I can't begin to say how elated I am. England through to quarter finals after a dramatic game. We never win on penalties and at last we've broken the jinx. It's gone absolutely mad here, flags waving, car horns blaring, people singing. This has put the whole country on a high. Players were all superb. Had to put up with some very dirty tactics from the Colombians who should have had a player sent off and they even tried to scuff the penalty spot before our penalty in the game. Still, credit to the Colombians they came back well. After years in the doldrums just getting through this far feels so good. It's now Sweden for us and that will not be easy so I'm not building up my hopes. Let's hope it's a good fair game and football wins.

bobphilo
07-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Excuse my ignorance but I remember a time when the goalie could only take x amount of steps without dribbling the ball. Did they do away with that rule? The Belgium goalie just took off.

The keeper can take as many steps as he wants as long as he bounces the ball every 3rd step and stays in the penalty area. He can go outside the box but then is bound by the same handball rules as the field players. At least that was the rule when I played the position.

bobphilo
07-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Before the game I thought Belgium would roll over Japan but the Japanese played the most organized and intelligent football I've seen so far in the tournament.
Great comeback by Belgium but I don't think they would be able to come back
like that against the strong Brazilian defense.

ronsmac
07-03-2018, 07:59 PM
The keeper can take as many steps as he wants as long as he bounces the ball every 3rd step and stays in the penalty area. He can go outside the box but then is bound by the same handball rules as the field players. At least that was the rule when I played the position.If he bounced the ball I missed it.

bobphilo
07-03-2018, 08:11 PM
I can't begin to say how elated I am. England through to quarter finals after a dramatic game. We never win on penalties and at last we've broken the jinx. It's gone absolutely mad here, flags waving, car horns blaring, people singing. This has put the whole country on a high. Players were all superb. Had to put up with some very dirty tactics from the Colombians who should have had a player sent off and they even tried to scuff the penalty spot before our penalty in the game. Still, credit to the Colombians they came back well. After years in the doldrums just getting through this far feels so good. It's now Sweden for us and that will not be easy so I'm not building up my hopes. Let's hope it's a good fair game and football wins.

Today's game was not the most skillful exhibition but that's because the Columbians spent more time kicking the English players than the ball. Gritty win by England, who stand a good chance to make the final, but will have a tough time against the teams from the other bracket in the final (Brazil, France, Belgium or Uruguay). In any case, I wish the 3 Lions well.

bobphilo
07-03-2018, 09:45 PM
If he bounced the ball I missed it.

If he hadn't bounced the ball every 3rd step the ref or any of his assistants or video assitant would have caught it. You must have missed it.

ronsmac
07-03-2018, 10:53 PM
If he hadn't bounced the ball every 3rd step the ref or any of his assistants or video assitant would have caught it. You must have missed it.
Watch the replay and tell me he bounced the ball every 3rd step. Either the rule is different now or not enforced.

thaskalos
07-03-2018, 11:24 PM
Watch the replay and tell me he bounced the ball every 3rd step. Either the rule is different now or not enforced.

The rule is different now. As long as the goalkeeper gets rid of the ball in 6 seconds...then he can take more than 3 steps. If he takes longer than 6 seconds, then the referee can grant the other team an indirect free kick...for delay of game.

horses4courses
07-04-2018, 01:15 AM
The keeper can take as many steps as he wants as long as he bounces the ball every 3rd step and stays in the penalty area. He can go outside the box but then is bound by the same handball rules as the field players. At least that was the rule when I played the position.

That was the old rule alright.
I remember it, but it changed in the late 80s, or early 90s.

Back passes to the GK were abolished.
You can only head it back to him now.
Great rule change, because it cut out a lot of time wasting.

horses4courses
07-04-2018, 01:21 AM

Well done, England

I'm sure many a local was packed last night. ;)
Plenty of sore heads this morning I'll bet, as well.

I've supported Manchester United for 50 years now.
The English national team is long overdue some success.

bobphilo
07-04-2018, 12:18 PM

I stand corrected. The rule has changed since the time I played. I wish that was the rule then. I hated having to keep track of how many steps I was taking.

ronsmac
07-05-2018, 12:14 PM
I haven't made any bets since April, and I'm feeling like a relapsing dope fiend. So I'm going to make the hour long trek to Delaware Park after work and blow87th my cash on Friday and Saturday's world cup matches.

snappit
07-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Well done, England

I'm sure many a local was packed last night. ;)
Plenty of sore heads this morning I'll bet, as well.

I've supported Manchester United for 50 years now.
The English national team is long overdue some success.

Thanks. I'll even forgive you being a Man U supporter:). The pubs did huge business although we have a beer shortage over her due to the football, very hot weather and a European wide CO2 shortage. My local ran out the other day, they had lager and cider on tap but no ale. It sounds odd that we are getting so excited about reaching the last eight but being the first knockout game we've won for twelve years and to do it on penalties for the first time in a WC made it special. A massive 24 million watched the game on TV over here, 80% of the TV audience, with over 3 million streaming live on the internet. Think it will be even higher on Saturday.

Here are some pictures and a video to show what it's like. Love the picture of people in the street watching the game through a house window. I'm sure these scenes have been repeated in other countries all over the world. Let's hope it's the same on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-44710354

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9VxGaWXGE

snappit
07-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Well now it's Brazil that are out and it is now basically a European Championship. Really enjoyed that game and thought Belgium were superb for much of it although they got tired later and it seemed Brazil were going to get back into it. This will be the first ever World Cup that at least one from Germany, Brazil and Argentina aren't represented in the semi finals.

I thought France looked very good today and it will be a great encounter between them and Belgium in the semi's.

With two quarter finals to be played on Saturday best odds available with various bookmakers over here are.

France 2/1
Belgium 5/2
England 4/1
Croatia 6/1
Russia 20/1
Sweden 22/1

ronsmac
07-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Well now it's Brazil that are out and it is now basically a European Championship. Really enjoyed that game and thought Belgium were superb for much of it although they got tired later and it seemed Brazil were going to get back into it. This will be the first ever World Cup that at least one from Germany, Brazil and Argentina aren't represented in the semi finals.

I thought France looked very good today and it will be a great encounter between them and Belgium in the semi's.

With two quarter finals to be played on Saturday best odds available with various bookmakers over here are.

France 2/1
Belgium 5/2
England 4/1
Croatia 6/1
Russia 20/1
Sweden 22/1I was at Delaware Park casino last night and France went from 7/2 to 3-1 to 14/5 in a span of 15 minutes.

PhantomOnTour
07-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Thierry Henry, among the greatest French players of all time, is on Belgium's coaching staff.....sabotage!!!!
He's gonna get mind f***ed trying to scheme against his home country.
France wins

thaskalos
07-06-2018, 10:53 PM
FRANCE 1, BELGIUM 3

horses4courses
07-06-2018, 11:29 PM
FRANCE 1, BELGIUM 3

I agree that Belgium will win.

There is no better midfield combination right now
than Hazard and De Bruyne. It's going to take
an exceptional performance to beat them.

bobphilo
07-07-2018, 11:33 AM
England are all over Sweden leading 2 nil. Oddly enough, Kane had no part in either goal with Sterling doing a ton of running and giving the Swedish defense fits.

RunForTheRoses
07-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Went to Monmouth today for a few hours, absolutely gorgeous day, place was busy but not dreadfully so.

Anyway, I bet a parlay with the R/C game UN 2. Is this a push or did I lose?TIA.

I'm not too familiar with soccer, saw the clock reach 90 minutes and thought that was it. Watching, it is real exciting if you look closely. Will have to watch the remainder.

snappit
07-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Well I'm having to pinch myself. I, like most others here, never thought we would really be in this position now with such a young and experienced team and whatever happens now we are proud of our team. The first time we've got to the WC semi's since 1990, a night I remember well. They have been superb and answered every question they've been asked. I was one of those that was nervous about our goalie Jordan Pickford but what can I say? In the last two games he has been magnificent. Just four teams left and we have Croatia. They can play well when they want to and it will be really tough but let us dream.

Every member of the team has been great but so much of this has to do with our manager Gareth Southgate. He's quiet, dignified and treats all the players with respect and they clearly respect him. So different to most managers who shout and bully. Back in 1996 we reached the semi final of the European Championship against Germany. The match went to a penalty shoot out and he missed his knocking us out. I'm so pleased for him more than anything.

Latest Odds

France 2/1
England 11/4
Belgium 11/4
Croatia 9/2

PhantomOnTour
07-08-2018, 01:40 AM
Don't forget that Belgium was getting HOUSED by lowly Japan before their miracle comeback. Truth be known, a wiser and more conservative approach from Japan in the last 30mins would have sent Belgium home.
They continued to press and play aggressive when up 2-0, and they ran out of gas. That's the only reason Belgium are still around.
They can be had, esp when facing a very formidable French team.

thaskalos
07-08-2018, 01:53 AM
Don't forget that Belgium was getting HOUSED by lowly Japan before their miracle comeback. Truth be known, a wiser and more conservative approach from Japan in the last 30mins would have sent Belgium home.
They continued to press and play aggressive when up 2-0, and they ran out of gas. That's the only reason Belgium are still around.
They can be had, esp when facing a very formidable French team.

I see it the opposite way. Belgium was careless against Japan...because they were basking in their own publicity. After the mighty scare that they went through...I think France will get Belgium's undivided attention.

horses4courses
07-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Went to Monmouth today for a few hours, absolutely gorgeous day, place was busy but not dreadfully so.

Anyway, I bet a parlay with the R/C game UN 2. Is this a push or did I lose?TIA.

I'm not too familiar with soccer, saw the clock reach 90 minutes and thought that was it. Watching, it is real exciting if you look closely. Will have to watch the remainder.

Your total bet is a push.
90 mins plus added stoppage time is what counts for the purposes of this wager.

ronsmac
07-09-2018, 05:57 PM
This has been one of the most entertaining World Cups ever and so far profitable for me. However, by far the best thing to come out of this year's World Cup is the Neymar challenge. It's absolutely hilarious.

bobphilo
07-10-2018, 01:27 PM
France - Belgium today. Should be a corker with 2 best teams in tournament. Winner will probably go on to win final. I give Belgium a slight edge.
Can I be any more chalky?

cj
07-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Gotta go Belgium here since I lived there for five years. Loved every minute of it. Too bad these two have to play in the semi.

thaskalos
07-10-2018, 02:11 PM
France - Belgium today. Should be a corker with 2 best teams in tournament. Winner will probably go on to win final. I give Belgium a slight edge.
Can I be any more chalky?

Sure. You could have chosen France...who is the slight favorite.

PhantomOnTour
07-10-2018, 04:03 PM
A professional 1-0 win for the French :)
Belgium had chances but France had them under control for the most part.

bobphilo
07-10-2018, 07:47 PM
I see it the opposite way. Belgium was careless against Japan...because they were basking in their own publicity. After the mighty scare that they went through...I think France will get Belgium's undivided attention.

Which they did by attacking France from the start. France, however was good enough to take the best that Belgium could throw at them and the tide starting turning towards the end of the 1st half. The French continued coming back early in the 2nd half with their goal and the game was theirs thereafter.

bobphilo
07-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Sure. You could have chosen France...who is the slight favorite.

I forgot the bookmakers had the French as slight favorites though it seemed most of the pundits favored Belgium.
I'm picking England over Croatia and am rooting for them, though I love the Croatians as the team with the most heart in the tournament.
France over England in the final is about as chalky as it gets.

snappit
07-11-2018, 04:06 AM
I'm at work tonight but we are all being given time off to watch the game so will be watching nervously with my colleagues. It seems that shops will be closing during the game as well. Let's hope it's a good clean game and the best side wins. Hopefully that will be England and we reach our first major final for over 50 years. This is the only thing that's being talked about on the news. Croatia have a good team with many players who play for top European teams so it won't be easy at all. Keep cool guys, you can do it.

PhantomOnTour
07-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Rooting for the English today, but I fear Croatia will win if they're not too fatigued from that grueling match vs Russia

PhantomOnTour
07-11-2018, 03:34 PM
It's squeaky bum time for the English

ReplayRandall
07-11-2018, 04:40 PM
In extra-time Croatia wins 2-1......

bobphilo
07-11-2018, 06:21 PM
In extra-time Croatia wins 2-1......

My condolences to snappit. You can be proud of how your English lads performed throughout the tournament.
I have mixed emotions about today's result. While I am a fan of the English team and expected them to win, one has to love the determination of the Croatians and the way they continued to fight through all the gut wrenching overtimes of their previous games. Unfortunately, this will not be enough to overcome the large edge in talent of the French in the final.

snappit
07-12-2018, 06:34 PM
My condolences to snappit. You can be proud of how your English lads performed throughout the tournament.
I have mixed emotions about today's result. While I am a fan of the English team and expected them to win, one has to love the determination of the Croatians and the way they continued to fight through all the gut wrenching overtimes of their previous games. Unfortunately, this will not be enough to overcome the large edge in talent of the French in the final.

Thanks. Got to say I was gutted last night especially after we went 1 up so early. Everyone over here is disappointed but are proud, not only about how they played but also how they conducted themselves. We had the youngest team, the least experienced team and although we have to admit they never played any of the big boys they did wonderfully and we never expected them to do so well. Things are in a bit of a mess in Britain at the moment with the nonsense going on over Brexit but this perked the country up. Eventually we were not good enough but it was a hell of a ride. We were the best team in the first half last night but lost our way and we were beaten by the better side overall. Big congratulations to Croatia and I will root for them on Sunday.

We now have one game to go, the play off for third place with Belgium on Saturday. It's a pretty meaningless match and it is likely we will use the match to give some of the squad who haven't yet played a game.

Looking forward to the final on Sunday. I think France will win but with the way things have gone in this tournament so far, who knows?

PhantomOnTour
07-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Allons Les Bleus !!!

PhantomOnTour
07-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Allons Les Bleus !!!

Pogba, now Mbappe' !!!
The rout is on....4-1 France
Les Bleus!

snappit
07-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Really enjoyed that final. It had everything, lot's of goals, controversial referee decisions and some good end to end play. It was slightly marred by the pitch invasion by a protest group. France were superb and Croatia did their country proud. Well done to France, they are worthy winners of the tournament.

I think this has been a great tournament and have to say the Russians did a really good job hosting it.

Roll on the 2020 European Championships.

zico20
07-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Croatia outplayed France and if it wasn't for that awful call that led to France's first goal, Croatia would have been in the lead and the whole dynamics of the game would have changed.

What was nice to see was no South American teams in the semi finals. Their theatrics were appalling throughout the tournament, led by Neymar's pathetic acting and Suarez's fake head injuries earlier in the tournament. Colombia was a dirty team.