PDA

View Full Version : Purse money only

porchy44
05-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Elegant Jem ran for "purse money only" Race 6 Belmont Park May 16th.

What's "the deal" on that ?

AlsoEligible
05-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Tote scratched the :12: by mistake. Per NY law, once a horse has been scratched, it can't be undone. Which isn't the case in any other jurisdiction that I know of.

Obviously fault lies with tote, but I find it pretty absurd that a mistake can be made at 10:00 am, realized at 10:01 am, and instead of just fixing it before betting even opens, the public is screwed for the entire day.

Human error is always a risk, and I just don't see how a rule like that benefits or protects anyone. Then again, it's not the first or last time that something in this industry hasn't made sense to me.

BCOURTNEY
05-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Tote scratched the :12: by mistake. Per NY law, once a horse has been scratched, it can't be undone. Which isn't the case in any other jurisdiction that I know of.

Obviously fault lies with tote, but I find it pretty absurd that a mistake can be made at 10:00 am, realized at 10:01 am, and instead of just fixing it before betting even opens, the public is screwed for the entire day.

Human error is always a risk, and I just don't see how a rule like that benefits or protects anyone. Then again, it's not the first or last time that something in this industry hasn't made sense to me.

It's a second week in May thing..

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211609/four-horses-at-belmont-running-for-money-only

Thomas Roulston
05-20-2018, 05:48 PM
And she won. OUCH!