PDA

View Full Version : Seeking new goals....

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2002, 10:47 PM
....and I'm very open to suggestions....

What new direction would you guys and gals like to see this website take (if any)??? Any and all suggestions will be taken under advisement.....

Want to see contests...a better chat room....more selections and/or data posted by moi....???? Let me know....

==PA

BillW
03-07-2002, 12:05 AM
PA,

One thing that would possibly pick up chat room traffic is an activity counter in the forum area Home Page(Currently Active Users:xx Currently Active Chat Room Users:yy). This would alert users of activity that might not otherwise check.

Bill

GameTheory
03-07-2002, 01:34 AM
It might be a good idea to create another forum for openly advertising / announcing horse-racing products & services, which I've seen on other topic-based forum sites before, and it seems to have the following effects:

A) You can explicitly disallow advertising on all the other forums, and people will generally gladly honor this because you've provided a place for it.

B) It encourages software developers/service providers (i.e. people selling something) to create special discounts/trial offers just for readers of this forum. (e.g. the "PaceAdvantage special") It is also good for them because they've got a group of intelligent potential customers they can talk to directly without having to qualify their statements all the time with, "I'm not just trying to push my product here, but..."

In short, win-win for everybody. You just disallow gratuitous repeated postings (like starting a new thread everyday that shows how your program's picks did.)

charleslanger
03-07-2002, 03:52 AM
agree totally with GT.
also, how 'bout a group entry into different national contests with board members buying shares thru a local designated person(s) using Paypal. this way one could theoretically have a piece of several national contests.

smf
03-07-2002, 04:00 AM
I like Game Theory's idea. I have nothing against the vendors that post here but at times it does get cluttered by the pitches, and such. If I were PA, I'd be tempted to charge these guys.

No more monthly newsletter plugs, or the latest and greatest system, etc.. in the main pages. Great idea, GT!

JMHO........

Observer
03-08-2002, 12:28 AM
I personally would like to see more interest in actually discussing individual horses, and I don't mean #4 in the 5th at Aqu. I mean interest in talking about the local and national favorites, or the overhyped "heroes."

I understand that this site is strongly based and supported by handicappers, and I respect that. There is an incredible amount of information on this site. But, I would like to be able to discuss given horses in a more overall sense, like the races they've run or the races they're pointing for. Discussions on possible up-and-comers could be fun, as well as a place to discuss how horses looked physically in the paddock, post parade and gallop back. And maybe even discussions about hot/cold jockeys and trainers. Basically topics that don't center around handicapping/betting, but more toward racing fans/enthusiasts.

Some of the recent topics that have caught my attention include:

*-The latest surgery on 28yo Seattle Slew, and his possible return to the breeding shed

*-The claim of 13yo Golden Tent simply for the sake of retirement by fans who pooled their money together, along with aid from GT's former owner Barry Schwartz and former trainer Mike Hushion, and got trainer Gary Contessa involved, who handled the actual claim while kicking in a substantial sum of money

*-The end of claimer Arromanches win streak at 10 at the hands of ice-cold Artie Wendel first off the claim

*-Is It True Mex, another claimer, continuing his sensational run in turf sprints .. rebounding back into the winner's circle to take his 6th of past 7 outs since trying the surface switch last fall. His only loss was first off the J. Martin claim when beaten a head finishing second

*-Bobby Frankel's seemingly unstoppable roll

There are so many amazing stories in this game. It would be nice to have active discussions surrounding them.

smf
03-08-2002, 03:06 AM
Observer,

Excellent idea. Actually the Warroom is the place for that but I can never find anyone there.

Funny you mentioned Is it True Mex @ GG. I have been following the Cal tracks the past month and taping them (RTN). MEX just got nipped by Sarigor on the last jump on 2/10, then ran a good one 3/3. John Martin also won a 4.5f grass sprint w/ Out Of a Dream (off the claim) on 2/28. In the past month he's won w/ 2 others of the claim (aj flyer- 6 yo, and gottalovefaith-3yo). They don't work fast and the older claims run after jail time's up, the youngers get run at higher tags quick.

I m/b wrong but when EMD begins it's going to hurt their claiming business. Just a guess, hope I'm wrong.

I'm planning on going to LS Friday just to watch a claim2 at Aqu. Dancer's Wish s/ go higher than the m/l but I don't plan to wager-- not enuff info on NYRA claimers yet but this one caught my interest for a few reasons. Having Lezcano "off" may help the price (i've never seen him ride, another reason I want to see the race---i've heard he's good).

Lake has 2 running off the claim. From first looks, his runners at NY don't follow the same patterns they do in the mid-Atlantic. Not sure why that is. He fired a blank Thurs w/ MoonshadowGold, and missed some last week also.

Contessa is running a claim back that m/h a shot. He's running 3 claims Friday. Note on Moschera (claimed from), in my short time of getting nyra info on Moschera he's only coughed up on winner off the claim1. It was Lake. Dutrow has won 2 off him @ claim2.

Not sure if nyra w/b bet-able for me in the future but I like the fact they claim with a vengeance there....makes it fun for me.

smf
03-08-2002, 03:13 AM
I s/h noted that the only claim1 winner off Moschera (Lake) in 9 attempts was a claim back.....I've only collected nyra claim stuff for 3 weeks now--hardly enuff to draw conclusions from.

Observer
03-08-2002, 10:21 PM
smf,

I just happened to catch Is It True Mex's last race by accident (sort of) .. I wasn't exactly watching that race with any serious interest .. just thought, "gee, this horse is drawing away nicely," after not paying much attention to the opening stages. Then, of course, the track announcer made some comment about his record, and I had to look him up to see what exactly he's been doing. I love finding these exciting types, the ones that just get into a groove .. and I don't care what level they're running at.

As for the claiming game here in NY, it has been pretty wicked. Certain horses just seem to start for a new trainer every time they go to the post. In today's ninth race alone there were four horses claimed from the nine horse field!!

Speaking of today .. Scott Lake and Travis Dunkelburger connected with three winners. Contessa suprisingly made it into the winner's circle ;) and Dutrow, Jr also made sure to make his presense felt as well. I've also liked the work J. Ferraro has done here this winter. I think he's been underestimated.