PDA

View Full Version : Rider will not carry a whip?

SkunkApe
05-13-2018, 01:28 PM
In race 1 at Gulfstream today, it was announced that the rider of the #4 (Miguel Vasquez) would not carry a whip. And indeed he didn't.

Why would this be? Looked like he could have used one in the stretch.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2018, 01:31 PM
In race 1 at Gulfstream today, it was announced that the rider of the #4 (Miguel Vasquez) would not carry a whip. And indeed he didn't.

Why would this be? Looked like he could have used one in the stretch.Because the trainer told him not to because the horse doesn't respond well to the whip (maybe the horse has beared in or out after being hit, maybe the horse has bolted before...who knows).

Happens every now and then.

Ruffian1
05-13-2018, 01:35 PM

Why would this be? Looked like he could have used one in the stretch.

A trainer can enter a horse and declare "no whip" at time of entry.

This is almost always done because the horse shys from it or sulks when shown it or hit with it. More times than not it is a filly or mare that sulks from the stick .

SkunkApe
05-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Thanks, guys.

(Yes, Ruffian1: this was a filly.)

johnhannibalsmith
05-13-2018, 01:46 PM
I had one that I didn't want the rider to use the whip on and entered 'no whip' just so that folks on whatever the precursor to the internet was wouldn't think my rider was any more of a sack of potatoes than he really was.

Ruffian1
05-13-2018, 01:52 PM
I had one that I didn't want the rider to use the whip on and entered 'no whip' just so that folks on whatever the precursor to the internet was wouldn't think my rider was any more of a sack of potatoes than he really was.

:pound:

Tom
05-13-2018, 02:53 PM
I think John held onto the whip to use himself, depending on the ride! :eek:

JustRalph
05-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Schneiderman borrowed it

BELMONT 6-6-09
05-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Schneiderman borrowed it

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL great one Ralph!!!