PDA

View Full Version : Baseball going into Sept

sq764
08-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Some baseball thoughts...

1) The best teams sure are stepping it up of late, tough to even guess who's getting in.. Tough to imagine that one of these 3 teams will be left out: Anaeheim, Boston, Oakland.

2) After watching him live and on tv, I honestly believe Carlos Beltran has the tools to be the best player in the game VERY soon. The guy is a tremendous outfielder and is one of the best hitters I have seen in a long while. He's a superstar now and in the future.

3) I never realized it until I keep watching my Phillies disappoint, that the season is just too long.. (Maybe its just long when you're basically eliminated in late August :-)

4) World series prediction: St Louis against someone..

chickenhead
08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Minnesota is my dark horse pick to win it all...

cj
08-29-2004, 01:03 PM
1) Its tough to imagine, but 2 of those three may not make it. Texas is refusing to go away.

sq764
08-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Possibly, but I think Texas is starting to hit the wall.. They had a great run, but regardless, they are going to be quite a team as young as they are..

CJ, what's ironic is that Baltimore is very involved in what happens to the wildcard.. Well, they could spoil it anyway...

so.cal.fan
08-29-2004, 01:15 PM
ANGELS!!!!!!!!!!

cj
08-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Possibly, but I think Texas is starting to hit the wall.. They had a great run, but regardless, they are going to be quite a team as young as they are..

CJ, what's ironic is that Baltimore is very involved in what happens to the wildcard.. Well, they could spoil it anyway...

The Orioles went from red hot back to the absolute worst team in baseball. This is the third year in a row they showed life in August to look respectable, only to completely fall apart down the stretch.

Maybe some games against Boston will help, it seems to be the only team they can beat! :D

sq764
08-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Right now, I think St Louis, Boston and Anaheim are playing the best..

Yankees certainly need to be dethroned from the AL, but their pitching is a big question mark.. I can't see them getting 4 well pitched games by starters in a 7 game series.. But who knows..

Oakland went from being a lock to possibly not even being in the playoffs.. They are a very underachieving team..

cj
08-29-2004, 01:43 PM
The Yankees probably only need three well pitched games to get through a 7 game series. Their hitting will ensure they don't get four well pitched games against them. A few games will turn into slugfests, and those will be the ones that make or break the Yankees, or any other team for that matter.

sq764
08-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I'll take the Sox in a slugfest :-)

Once they got rid of whiney Nomar, they have been on fire..

Amazing what happens when you start to catch the damn ball..

sq764
08-29-2004, 01:48 PM
CJ, I am not going to get into an argument, just an honest question.. Where will they get 3 well pitched games? Or are you thinking 2 from Brown or El Duqe?

sq764
08-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Mussina must lead MLB in Homeruns per IP.. It's unreal..

He may only be behind Eric Milton of the Phillies, who's given up like 40..

Not sure how this ends, but 4.5 game behind, whoda ever thunk it.

Binder
08-29-2004, 07:25 PM
I wonder if the push for the wild card will help
those teams get an advantage over the division winners
As has happened the last two years
for the Angles and The Marlins

This year the Giants, Padres and Cubs are in a real battle

I hope the trend continues
Go GIANTS

Valuist
08-30-2004, 11:07 AM
The Giants are a two man team: Bonds and Schmidt. Talentwise, the Cubs are far better than team but they also might be the dumbest team I've seen in a while. No fundamentals. Houston has sneaked back into contention and is dangerous.

chickenhead
08-30-2004, 12:40 PM
while I like Dusty Baker a lot....he drove me crazy when he was managing the Giants....maybe he has carried that over to the cubbies.

don't forget..the Giants are at least a three man team...Bonds, Schmidt..and whoever is hitting in front of Bonds. :)

Valuist
08-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Dusty can't manage. OTOH, the players love him and whoever he manages will get better free agents because players love to play for him. But for in-game managing, his decision making is highly questionable.

sq764
08-30-2004, 01:19 PM
I wish the Sox didn't have a splineless manager in Francona... They need a leader, not a yes man

chickenhead
08-30-2004, 01:30 PM
what is old man Fisk doing nowadays? Is he in someone's organization?

Bubbles
08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by chickenhead
what is old man Fisk doing nowadays? Is he in someone's organization?

I'll tell you what, if he gets to manage, he may have some seemingly-revolutionary ideas. Such as (GASP!) HUSTLING!!!!!!!! :) :D ;)

JustRalph
09-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Yankee's Red Sox series this weekend.....!!!!

total of 6 games between them to go. Sox are 3.5 back........

This is going to be fun to watch...............you guys in Boston and NY are lucky to have those teams.............Enjoy!