PDA

View Full Version : Worst Derby Telecast in Years

SandyLoam
05-05-2018, 05:29 PM
I get it. All the side stuff. But they're barely talking about racing. They're not analyzing any of the races. The cross-promotion is heinous, Tirico is awful (where is Tom Hammonds) and I'm so sick and tired of the NFL I could scream! It's WAY more than too bad, because the racing is great. Eddie O. is great. I really wonder if they have a new producer/corporate orders.

The last bad telecast I remember was when ESPN was doing it for the first time.

letswastemoney
05-05-2018, 05:34 PM
I've always been happy just watching the regular satellite feed on TwinSpires.

dballard125
05-05-2018, 05:35 PM
I was done with it when they brought the flaming gay dude onto broadcast. To each their own, but I don't want that shit in my face for 6 hours. Been watching golf and the races on twinspires.

Michael
05-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Yeah do yourself a favor and just forget about the coverage and just watch the track feed.

GMB@BP
05-05-2018, 05:42 PM
The last thing the Derby on NBC telecast is about is horse racing. Sure, the Derby is but the rest, all puff piece filler....I liked it better when it was 90 minutes long with Jim McCay.

SandyLoam
05-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Watching both. Thank goodness for streaming. But I have to watch NBC and take notes. I write a column for a web site.

Hanger
05-05-2018, 05:45 PM
I was done with it when they brought the flaming gay dude onto broadcast. To each their own, but I don't want that shit in my face for 6 hours. Been watching golf and the races on twinspires.

He was horrible during Olympics too, agreed, to each their own, but the 2 figure skaters have absolutely no clue what they are talking about, and their presentation of the Derby is crap.

woodbinepmi
05-05-2018, 05:46 PM
It's HORRIBLE! And what was with that national anthem?

GMB@BP
05-05-2018, 05:52 PM
It's HORRIBLE! And what was with that national anthem?

so I wasnt the only one wondering that. I just assumed I am getting old and missed something.

dilanesp
05-05-2018, 05:58 PM
The last thing the Derby on NBC telecast is about is horse racing. Sure, the Derby is but the rest, all puff piece filler....I liked it better when it was 90 minutes long with Jim McCay.

The Derby gets a 10 rating every year. That's something like 25 million viewers.

Now how many of those viewers are horse racing regulars who want all sorts of stuff about handicapping?

Johnnie Weir and Tara Lipinski are perfect for the audience that actually watches this.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Just watch the track feed on the Internet.

Hedevar
05-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Sorry, Johnny Weir has to go!

dilanesp
05-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Sorry, Johnny Weir has to go!

Why do you assume that just because you don't like something, that other people don't like it either?

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Who are these people who get so upset at a freakin television broadcast?

I really couldn't care less...just happy I can watch the race in HD...:pound:

dballard125
05-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Why do you assume that just because you don't like something, that other people don't like it either?

It's all good if you enjoy watching him talk about derby hats, girly drinks, and fashion for 6 hours. Watch it, have a blast. Just don't get so triggered by those that aren't fans.

Hanger
05-05-2018, 06:17 PM
The Derby gets a 10 rating every year. That's something like 25 million viewers.

Now how many of those viewers are horse racing regulars who want all sorts of stuff about handicapping?

Johnnie Weir and Tara Lipinski are perfect for the audience that actually watches this.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Just watch the track feed on the Internet.

I always forget this point, that they are marketing at it's finest. I mean it could be like 20 years ago when the show started 20 minutes to post of the Derby.

dilanesp
05-05-2018, 06:19 PM
It's all good if you enjoy watching him talk about derby hats, girly drinks, and fashion for 6 hours. Watch it, have a blast. Just don't get so triggered by those that aren't fans.

I'm not triggered. I watch the track feed.

I just don't expect NBC to produce its coverage for me when the vast majority of people who watch it aren't like me.

Hedevar
05-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Perhaps you are correct. Maybe the audience loves looking at Weir's headgear.

dballard125
05-05-2018, 06:28 PM
They are getting blasted on Twitter, and rightfully so.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=twinspires&src=typd

lamboguy
05-05-2018, 06:31 PM
No Neumeyer and Bataglia this year. i hope Bob is feeling good.

SandyLoam
05-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Hey PA: You give up? We can't expect better?

Compared to last year and the Breeders Cup, their coverage regressed. Although in the Breeders Cup they know there aren't any matrons in hats.

They treated the audience like children, especially with the two lame bits in the children's classroom. It was condescending.

They DID NOT celebrate two great cards of racing and a lot of good racing. The only one analyzing the races in any way was Eddie O. Tirico is generic pap, and he made Bob Costas look like a grizzled tout. It felt totally scripted, Donna Brothers repeated herself for two days, as did Moss and Bailey. They were told to talk about the Derby and nothing else both days.

The cross promotion, especially with the GD NFL was nauseating. There were some good features.

They did not analyze the track, the racing experts were never allowed on! The weather person said there might be a break, as if that would help the track. Donna Brothers was allowed to say ONCE that the track was sealed.

Like I said, either they had a new producer or the production meeting went bad. Although, we're talking about Churchill Downs Inc., the worst caretakers of horse racing on earth. This is probably what they want.

I contend that if people like us try to explain to others the appeal of horse racing, this broadcast did not help at all.

Tom
05-05-2018, 08:29 PM
so I wasnt the only one wondering that. I just assumed I am getting old and missed something.

I heard them singing, and the fist thing I did was to recount my empties - surely I must had drunk many more than I thought I did! :eek::p

depalma113
05-05-2018, 08:29 PM
I got to see the horse races in high definition, the rest I could care less about.

Wiley
05-05-2018, 09:29 PM
I wish that they would keep the broadcast on NBCsports through the Derby.

As soon as they switched to NBC it became just fluff and fashion. I know I am old and only care about the horses and not any of the stories or event portions of the broadcast, but if you are betting any decent amounts of money, in my opinion, you only care about how the horses look and maybe a quick comment from a trainer late.

I just turned the volume down and hoped they would show a few horses pre race and tuned into the track feed, but for me that is not HD through my ADW.

In the Woodford Reserve race, I noticed you did not see any of the horses, prior to 14 minutes to post on NBC.

I do love the HD broadcast of the pre and race time events, just wish they would focus more on the races themselves and the horses pre race.

I guess it is better than not that long ago, when the network broadcast did not even include the Turf race prior to the Derby in their broadcast.

TheGarMan
05-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Not to stir the pot, but perhaps I can offer a slightly different take...

I'll be the first to admit, I can't STAND the Johnny Wierdo and Tara bits. They are horrific. I literally cannot watch. :mad:

HOWEVER, a major world wide network gives our sport FOUR HOURS of much needed exposure and all you guys see is the negative in this?

To most of my friends, horse racing is talked about on maybe 3 days a year...

Like it or not , part of the appeal of the Derby and horse racing in general is indeed the lifestyle bits. Getting dressed up, big hats, fancy suits, the celebrities, the food, the mint julep, etc. It might be the only thing keeping the "Big Days" on national television. I can tell you it's one of the reasons my wife and son accompany me to the racetrack.

The average viewer doesn't care about the setting of the turf rail, but Ms. Suzie Homemaker can now tell you how to make a sweet azz Woodford Reserve Mint Julep, so that's got to be worth something? Remember, they are not gearing the coverage to hard core 365 day a year horse players.

So yea, they could certainly throw in a little more racing information, but they are trying to appeal to and grow a mass audience. The "puff pieces" are a small price to pay for 4 hours of desperately needed network exposure.

In this day and age, we need to make horse racing appealing and available to as many folks as possible. Even if it means sitting through a cooking segment.

And that's my 2 cents. :ThmbUp:

Inner Dirt
05-05-2018, 10:22 PM

I hear you, I can't image anyone other than a fellow flamer who enjoyed that.

Michael
05-05-2018, 10:34 PM
@TheGarMan

So you're defending 4 hours of nonsense, over having good coverage of the races? That just seems wrong to me. You wouldn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator if they actually made coverage worth watching.

It's a beautiful sport and it doesn't need a facade to fool people on one of it's marque days. Why masquerade behind false pretenses and sell horse racing as something it's not?

To each their own I guess. I just don't think their bs coverage is helping the sport at all.

dilanesp
05-05-2018, 10:39 PM
@TheGarMan

So you're defending 4 hours of nonsense, over having good coverage of the races? That just seems wrong to me. You wouldn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator if they actually made coverage worth watching.

It's a beautiful sport and it doesn't need a facade to fool people on one of it's marque days. Why masquerade behind false pretenses and sell horse racing as something it's not?

To each their own I guess. I just don't think their bs coverage is helping the sport at all.

NBC's job is to get ratings. They have no obligation to help the sport.

Wiley
05-05-2018, 10:54 PM
NBC's job is to get ratings. They have no obligation to help the sport.

Your right and NBC doesn't help the sport in any way except to let people know that once a year there is this event that happens called the "Greatest two minutes in sports".

My guess is that in a poll of the general population less than half would even know that the quote is a reference to horse racing...

Michael's post hits it on the head for me.
"It's a beautiful sport"

Immortal6
05-05-2018, 11:38 PM
To people bitching about the telecast: Kick rocks. This sport needs all the exposure it can get. You don't like exposes about juleps and hats? Don't watch.

Would you have liked the telecast to drool over how wet the track was and give updates and tips on the track bias or actually watch the races and form an opinion yourself?

Stupid thread. If you need to watch the telecast to get your info on the track and how it's playing you're just as lost at the rest of us. Had the telecast been about the dosage index and last Derby prep of all the horses who would really care other than die hard that already had that info?

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2018, 11:45 PM
I hear you, I can't image anyone other than a fellow flamer who enjoyed that.The homophobia gets old after a while. You know?

Come up with some new material...this site is supposed to be entertaining...not supposed to put me to sleep with repetitive nonsense.

clicknow
05-06-2018, 12:03 AM
I think I'd rather watch Johnny W. than some of the absolute "clowns" on TVG -I haven't seen it in years and years, but those guys "Todd and Matt" who were on when I had it would be better placed at some freshman frat boy partiy than serious horse racing commentary.
I love Jenny Chapman at HKJC --- she is a stellar paddock and form analyst...I have learned so much about physicality and conformation listening to her.

clicknow
05-06-2018, 12:20 AM
duplicate

NJ Stinks
05-06-2018, 12:30 AM
To people bitching about the telecast: Kick rocks. This sport needs all the exposure it can get. You don't like exposes about juleps and hats? Don't watch.

Would you have liked the telecast to drool over how wet the track was and give updates and tips on the track bias or actually watch the races and form an opinion yourself?

Stupid thread. If you need to watch the telecast to get your info on the track and how it's playing you're just as lost at the rest of us. Had the telecast been about the dosage index and last Derby prep of all the horses who would really care other than die hard that already had that info?

Fact: Race 4 was running but nobody saw it. Yea, we saw Pincay, Moss, and Bailey try not show disgust with the decision to skip the race running behind them.

Who would allow such a thing to happen on the biggest day in American racing?

Strike 1 goes to CD for not insisting on all their races be shown in the TV contract.
Strike 2 goes to people in charge at NBC who don't think the horse races matter.
Strike 3 goes to any "racing fan" who accepts whatever crap CD and NBC puts out there and says I'm somehow supposed to too.

JustRalph
05-06-2018, 12:33 AM
The homophobia gets old after a while. You know?

Come up with some new material...this site is supposed to be entertaining...not supposed to put me to sleep with repetitive nonsense.

I’ve talked to gay men who can’t stand Weir. They think he’s a walking talking caricature of a gay man. You have to admit he’s over the top.

I don’t think they were being homophobic.....and they used the same language. Not so sure “flamer” is always pejorative

Benni
05-06-2018, 01:31 AM
Not to stir the pot, but perhaps I can offer a slightly different take...

I'll be the first to admit, I can't STAND the Johnny Wierdo and Tara bits. They are horrific. I literally cannot watch. :mad:

HOWEVER, a major world wide network gives our sport FOUR HOURS of much needed exposure and all you guys see is the negative in this?

To most of my friends, horse racing is talked about on maybe 3 days a year...

Like it or not , part of the appeal of the Derby and horse racing in general is indeed the lifestyle bits. Getting dressed up, big hats, fancy suits, the celebrities, the food, the mint julep, etc. It might be the only thing keeping the "Big Days" on national television. I can tell you it's one of the reasons my wife and son accompany me to the racetrack.

The average viewer doesn't care about the setting of the turf rail, but Ms. Suzie Homemaker can now tell you how to make a sweet azz Woodford Reserve Mint Julep, so that's got to be worth something? Remember, they are not gearing the coverage to hard core 365 day a year horse players.

So yea, they could certainly throw in a little more racing information, but they are trying to appeal to and grow a mass audience. The "puff pieces" are a small price to pay for 4 hours of desperately needed network exposure.

In this day and age, we need to make horse racing appealing and available to as many folks as possible. Even if it means sitting through a cooking segment.

And that's my 2 cents. :ThmbUp:

Agreed. While I cannot stand the Tara and Johnny crap (I'm sure some viewers find entertaining) I'm very happy that NBC broadcast the races, undercard and otherwise, FIVE hours (2:30-7:30) on NBC. That's a huge positive for engaging folks to watch racing. Now, if someone can just reduce the times between races that would captivate even more. Maybe the filler stuff serves a purpose, to keep people engaged.

I have both TVG and TVG2 and I'm grateful that if they could not broadcast all the races at least NBC did so. The mute button works great. And even with the LONG stretches between races use that mute button and peruse the internet for racing info and comments. No big deal.

Benni
05-06-2018, 01:44 AM
@TheGarMan

Nonsense? when there is 45-50 minutes between races and many of the audience watching this are not regular racing enthusiasts, what are they supposed to fill that time with?

How many times can they discuss racing strategies and statistics during five hours? I heard the same things over and over again about all the horses in each race, especially the KY Derby, they were just on a repeat loop.

This is network TV, they are trying to attract and hold the interest of viewers who are not every day racing enthusiasts/handicappers/fans. The mute button works very well for those who dislike the fluff bits about fashion, human interest stories, and how horses got their names. I will say that segment about the carnitas tacos was interesting. Yum!

TheGarMan
05-06-2018, 07:32 AM
@TheGarMan

Yea, I suppose I am defending them a little.

Lets be honest, if they did the broadcast with only sharp handicappers and pure horseplayer angles, there would be literally HUNDREDS of us tuned it... :D

Instead, they fill the long stretches of downtime between races with their silly "puff pieces" for Mr & Mrs Homemaker , and they draw 10's of millions. they get good ratings, and sign on to do it again next year.

Not saying I like it, but it's probably the price we pay to get major network exposure 3 or 4 times a year.

As a compromise, Tara can stay, Johnny Wierdo needs to go :lol:

Thank god for Eddie O, he represents "us" during the broadcast.

G

PointGiven
05-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Some thoughts in no particular order. Some inspired by conversation here, but not directed at anyone specifically:

I am grateful for the national coverage. We need it. I get that they are broadcasting to a general audience. Hours of fraction breakdowns or the like won't go over to well.

I am ok with the " fun" stuff. How to make a mint julep, food, etc. Also the celebrity part. That's just part of society now.

I like the features. The one on the fires was very moving. I like the stories. You have to get folks to care for the horses and people involved if you want to get folks to follow past the once a year party thing. Ultimately the goal should be for folks to want to watch more and decide to attend a race in person.

I would think NBC would want to develop interest. They have paid to broadcast. One area I was particularly disappointed in was their streaming. That's also how it is today. I clicked on their website. Got something that said you have 7 more minutes free then input your information. That's fine for ESPN. But you're an over the air network. People can get you with rabbit ears. Except it's not 1970. Streaming isn't the wave of the future, it's been here.

Speaking of ESPN, someone needs to remind Mike He doesn't work for the a anymore. That mess about Pinto being fired and fbi was uncalled for.

And that where I land on Tara and Johhny. I couldn't care less he is gay. But don't turn our biggest national moment into a clown show. It disrespectful and you don't do it to other sports.

Some of the features need to focus on aftercare. We have a perception and fake news problem of our own. I belong to another horse site that is focused not on racing but all things horse. Even among horse people the first thing brought up when slaughter is discussed is racing. Don't have not mention it specifically,but show aftercare and efforts.

Tom
05-06-2018, 11:46 AM
NBC made Todd Schrupp and TVG look very professional yesterday.
I believe this is one of the signs of the End of Days. :eek:

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2018, 11:54 AM
I’ve talked to gay men who can’t stand Weir. They think he’s a walking talking caricature of a gay man. You have to admit he’s over the top.

I don’t think they were being homophobic.....and they used the same language. Not so sure “flamer” is always pejorativeIf he weren't over the top, he wouldn't be on TV.

Anyway, there's all kinds of people in this world, and nobody on earth likes everyone, so I get it.

dilanesp
05-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Some thoughts in no particular order. Some inspired by conversation here, but not directed at anyone specifically:

I am grateful for the national coverage. We need it. I get that they are broadcasting to a general audience. Hours of fraction breakdowns or the like won't go over to well.

I am ok with the " fun" stuff. How to make a mint julep, food, etc. Also the celebrity part. That's just part of society now.

I like the features. The one on the fires was very moving. I like the stories. You have to get folks to care for the horses and people involved if you want to get folks to follow past the once a year party thing. Ultimately the goal should be for folks to want to watch more and decide to attend a race in person.

I would think NBC would want to develop interest. They have paid to broadcast. One area I was particularly disappointed in was their streaming. That's also how it is today. I clicked on their website. Got something that said you have 7 more minutes free then input your information. That's fine for ESPN. But you're an over the air network. People can get you with rabbit ears. Except it's not 1970. Streaming isn't the wave of the future, it's been here.

Speaking of ESPN, someone needs to remind Mike He doesn't work for the a anymore. That mess about Pinto being fired and fbi was uncalled for.

And that where I land on Tara and Johhny. I couldn't care less he is gay. But don't turn our biggest national moment into a clown show. It disrespectful and you don't do it to other sports.

Some of the features need to focus on aftercare. We have a perception and fake news problem of our own. I belong to another horse site that is focused not on racing but all things horse. Even among horse people the first thing brought up when slaughter is discussed is racing. Don't have not mention it specifically,but show aftercare and efforts.

Tara and Johnny do Olympic figure skating and do the same act. And ABC once put Dennis Miller on football.

The network pays the money and has the right to disrespect our sport any way they wish to get viewers.

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2018, 11:58 AM

I don’t think they were being homophobic.....and they used the same language. Not so sure “flamer” is always pejorativeForget over the top, forget gay...

What I don't get, is who came up with the idea that having these two as co-hosts makes sense for a RACING TELECAST?

I have never understood that one.

What else do these two do other than racing shows on NBC? Do they do the Oscars red carpet? That's where they might be more appropriate with all the fashion crap.

I know, I know, it's the Derby and everyone gets dressed up for it...but it never gelled for me - the "serious" sports/handicapping guys mixed with Tara & Johnny.

BTW, did Twitter erupt after Mike Tirico said "we have to put up with THIS all day?"

I know he was joking, but in this current environment, I was worried he was going to be labeled a homophobe and fired 2 minutes later...

dilanesp
05-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Forget over the top, forget gay...

What I don't get, is who came up with the idea that having these two as co-hosts makes sense for a RACING TELECAST?

What else do these two do other than racing shows on NBC? Do they do the Oscars red carpet? That's where they might be more appropriate with all the fashion crap.

I know, I know, it's the Derby and everyone gets dressed up for it...but it never gelled for me - the "serious" sports/handicapping guys mixed with Tara & Johnny.

BTW, did Twitter erupt after Mike Tirico said "we have to put up with THIS all day?"

I know he was joking, but in this current environment, I was worried he was going to be labeled a homophobe and fired 2 minutes later...

The race is 2 minutes. They have tons of time to fill.

That is the basic problem with all horse racing on television.

The Derby is actually now one of the biggest events of the fashion world, and, yes, some portion of the audience does tune in for the pageantry. Johnnie and Tara may not be the perfect way to capture that, but it would be stupid for NBC to abandon that audience to focus on handicappers (who as a class I bet are not even a good demographic for advertisers).

Inner Dirt
05-06-2018, 12:07 PM
@TheGarMan

I give them a pass on most of the derby coverage as it kind of mirrors the crowd that attends. I don't know the proper terminology to describe the fact that events like the Kentucky Derby do not attract the typical fan of the sporting event that takes place. I only went once in 1999 and it became instantly obvious serious horse players represented a very low percentage of the people in attendance. We were stuck in the infield, due to not planning well enough in advance. I would say only 10% of the infield crowd had a racing form and some didn't even have a program. I am pretty sure a lot of people didn't even place a bet. The infield was like a huge drunken college frat party and my friend and I in our late 30's were definitely out of place.

CincyHorseplayer
05-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Pretty basic here. The Derby telecast is only about the derby and is meant for people who don't give a crap about horse racing but want to be attached the the buzz about the event. I don't have any problems with the show. And even though I have gay friends I don't want to hear about fashion BS when there is a post parade at hand! This is the derby show for non horse racing fans. Once you get that it doesn't really piss you off. You celebrate it for being fluff BS!:)

upthecreek
05-06-2018, 12:17 PM
https://twitter.com/brooklyncowboy1/status/993138088087113728

upthecreek
05-06-2018, 12:18 PM
https://twitter.com/brooklyncowboy1/status/993137723606274048

upthecreek
05-06-2018, 12:56 PM
https://twitter.com/Pullthepocket/status/993147325584498688

Inner Dirt
05-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Forget over the top, forget gay...

They are promoting an agenda, plain and simple.

oughtoh
05-06-2018, 02:03 PM
I turned it on 8 minutes before the races went off. As soon as the race was over, I switched channels till the next race.

burnsy
05-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Who are these people who get so upset at a freakin television broadcast?

I really couldn't care less...just happy I can watch the race in HD...:pound:

Agreed, there's 99 minutes between races anyway. On TV they gotta do something besides talk horses for that long. The average "Derby Watcher" will change the channel if they did talk horses entirely. People should figure there's a ton of novice money in there. The people that are bitching, should not, you have an advantage over most, if you are seriously handicapping. What do you expect? 5 hours of track prattle? Sorry, never gonna happen on a network broadcast.

I fire up the grill in the yard, make Mint Julips and have fun. I'm not saying (the coverage) is great. But C'mon most of us are not watching for what hat or dress is "in" this year.......we watch for the minute or two they are running......it was serious racing on the line. Even if it were a bunch of track/analysis talk.....I would get sick of that too. It takes like 3 hours to run the three races leading up to the Derby.

horses4courses
05-06-2018, 02:33 PM
They are promoting an agenda, plain and simple.

WTF???

Racey
05-06-2018, 07:18 PM
as usual J:popcorn:ohnny over the top..lol

Tom
05-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Tara and Johnny do Olympic figure skating and do the same act. And ABC once put Dennis Miller on football.

The network pays the money and has the right to disrespect our sport any way they wish to get viewers.

Then they should get rid of them - the ratings dipped this year.

boys at tosconova
05-07-2018, 12:26 AM
http://i68.tinypic.com/5ciqkh.jpg

dilanesp
05-07-2018, 12:35 AM
Then they should get rid of them - the ratings dipped this year.

Post hoc fallacy.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2018, 01:12 AM
They are promoting an agenda, plain and simple.So it's a conspiracy to try and get you to act like Johnny? :lol:

clicknow
05-07-2018, 03:11 AM
I don't watch TV anymore, but I think Stacy London and Clinton Kelly from What Not To Wear would be better than Tara and Weir; and that other gal, who used to judge / taste the food in the chef's contests.....she was very likeable, too. Both seem a little more down to earth and less over the top.

Or how about that guy from the fashion runway show, who always said "make it work!" He'd be perfect.......Tim Gunn.......I can see him in a top hat, full KY Derby dress, he had a lot of class.

I guess I'm hopelessly outdated by todays TV standards, they were on about when I pulled the plug back in the day.....

chiguy
05-07-2018, 10:19 AM
I would be interested in them doing a feature on what "everyday" racing is like and pick a race run at Belmont or Santa Anita during the broadcast that features a nice field of claiming horses. Do some background on the grooms, exercise riders and trainers of the horses in that field as well as some stuff on each of the horses. Then show that race live during the telecast. I would want the grooms to be white though since I don't want to fall victim to liking Mexican or Central American folks through an NBC agenda.

chuckster1968
05-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Excellent post, it is true, the real horse players and handicappers or the so called gamblers are the ones forgotten about on the the biggest racing days of the year.

I am not sure, but the pageantry is important but it suppose to be about the sport itself. I know you have time to fill, but if I was producing, and excuse me I may be in the dark here, but it should be treated like Breeders Cup Day. Expose people to the horses, the riders, the owners. The race itself. We here in Toronto, Ont. are doing the same thing to our Queen's Plate. A whole bunch of young people show up and do not have a clue. They come once a year party, carnival like atmosphere etc.

I agree, no one was better than Jim McKay. I agree, what has happened is like everything, there is just to much time, and too many other things to do. It is a day of instant gratification. The day when I was younger, like the Derby was to anticipate and compel you to want to watch for the 90 minutes. ABC use to show shots of the crowd, talk to trainers. The racing is an afterthought for the young and the celebrities.

We here have done the same thing. They treat the people who are horse players that day like we do not exist meanwhile, we are the ones who show up daily or weekly and keep the place going.

This is what happens, when there is too much overload and competition for the almighty dollar. Real gamblers and handicappers actually have to watch their money for their addiction, the one day a year crowd or celebrities do not care its one day..

horses4courses
05-07-2018, 12:29 PM
I would want the grooms to be white though since I don't want to fall victim to liking Mexican or Central American folks through an NBC agenda.

Oh brother........:bang:

It wouldn't occur to you, now would it, that a large percentage
of grooms just happen to be hispanic? Just ignore that, I guess.

:puke:

GMB@BP
05-08-2018, 12:27 AM
I just rewatched the last couple hours of the telecast....I am pretty sure I must be turning gay cause I actually think Johnny Weir was a bit better this year than the last couple.

boys at tosconova
05-08-2018, 02:30 AM
I just rewatched the last couple hours of the telecast....I am pretty sure I must be turning gay cause I actually think Johnny Weir was a bit better this year than the last couple.

http://i68.tinypic.com/w1wi87.jpg

chiguy
05-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Oh brother........:bang:

It wouldn't occur to you, now would it, that a large percentage
of grooms just happen to be hispanic? Just ignore that, I guess.

:puke:

Total tongue in cheek. Response with humor that I though most would get.

PaceAdvantage
05-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Total tongue in cheek. Response with humor that I though most would get.Yeah, I got it...some people have triggers though and can't see obvious sarcasm or humor.

papillon
05-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Total tongue in cheek. Response with humor that I though most would get.

You could do what they do on Reddit--follow sarcasm with /s

Pretty sure Reddit would implode without /s